Why doesn't plastic companies do this?

midwestmoto
Made this reply in the JGR Suzuki=Cycra thread but didn't see any replies. I'm really curious to hear some thoughts on the few questions I have. I've pasted the text below
-----------------------------
Not sure if this has been asked but how come Cycra hasn't made Suzuki plastics in the past? From what ive read, that doesnt really answer the question is, maybe it's because the zooks haven't changed much for the past almost decade but so what? It'd still be nice to have an option from them. Even if you were just buying replacement stock molds. IMO, a plastic company should offer plastics for the main 5, now 6 manufacuters, at least for big bikes.

Are there any other bikes that Cycra doesnt offer plastics for? What about other plastic companies? UFO, Acerbis, etc. Do they have an option for every mx bike?

Also I know you don't see as many older 4 strokes out there but why not a pre 2010 restyle kit for Suzuki's. I know a few people that would kill for those.

While I'm on the subject and maybe its worthy of a new thread but I'm surprised more plastic companies don't make custom shape plastics. Instead of a restyle kit or replica molds, why not make your own shape and style and sell not only the plastics but the template to graphic companies as well. As long as it doesnt look like the Blue Buffalo bike of course. That's like taking a girl with double ds and dropping them down to an a. It just doesnt look as good. ( . Y . )

Looking forward to hearing some replies!
|
Starcrossed
11/23/2016 5:12pm
Made this reply in the JGR Suzuki=Cycra thread but didn't see any replies. I'm really curious to hear some thoughts on the few questions I have...
Made this reply in the JGR Suzuki=Cycra thread but didn't see any replies. I'm really curious to hear some thoughts on the few questions I have. I've pasted the text below
Not sure if this has been asked but how come Cycra hasn't made Suzuki plastics in the past? From what ive read, that doesnt really answer the question is, maybe it's because the zooks haven't changed much for the past almost decade but so what? It'd still be nice to have an option from them. Even if you were just buying replacement stock molds. IMO, a plastic company should offer plastics for the main 5, now 6 manufacuters, at least for big bikes.

Are there any other bikes that Cycra doesnt offer plastics for? What about other plastic companies? UFO, Acerbis, etc. Do they have an option for every mx bike?

Also I know you don't see as many older 4 strokes out there but why not a pre 2010 restyle kit for Suzuki's. I know a few people that would kill for those.

While I'm on the subject and maybe its worthy of a new thread but I'm surprised more plastic companies don't make custom shape plastics. Instead of a restyle kit or replica molds, why not make your own shape and style and sell not only the plastics but the template to graphic companies as well. As long as it doesnt look like the Blue Buffalo bike of course. That's like taking a girl with double ds and dropping them down to an a. It just doesnt look as good. ( . Y . )

I think it is worthy of a new thread, and another new thread title to go with it. Post away Grinning
11/23/2016 5:28pm
One set of molds with some plastics that had a new look would sell like crazy. Everyone with a Zook would want to set their bike apart. Just my 2 cents
MX4EVR
11/23/2016 5:31pm
i have heard in the past the cost for one mold for plastic injection is a lot of money
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3801st
11/23/2016 5:47pm
Molds are pretty expensive, above 60k for one mold.

Now that one mold could maybe include a couple of pieces of plastic (ie both side plates and a front number plate). Still, the process is expensive and takes a lot of time for R&D.

The Shop

11/23/2016 6:03pm
Molds are pretty expensive, above 60k for one mold. Now that one mold could maybe include a couple of pieces of plastic (ie both side plates...

Now that one mold could maybe include a couple of pieces of plastic (ie both side plates and a front number plate). Still, the process is expensive and takes a lot of time for R&D.
X2, and not all people will opt for the restyled option.
11/23/2016 6:07pm
Molds are pretty expensive, above 60k for one mold. Now that one mold could maybe include a couple of pieces of plastic (ie both side plates...

Not Chinese moulds.
mrtuf
11/23/2016 6:36pm Edited Date/Time 11/23/2016 6:38pm
Made this reply in the JGR Suzuki=Cycra thread but didn't see any replies. I'm really curious to hear some thoughts on the few questions I have...

We get ask this basic question all the time. Here is the reason. To make a set of molds for a bike is 150,000 to 200,000 dollars, so it has to be more than you and a few of your friends that would be interested. This costs also does not include the design time to "restyle" the stock plastic. You can do the math and see how many sets you would have to sell to get your investment back. UFO makes the OEM RMZ style plastic and even with those numbers it has been hard to justify the expense for the RMZ and obviously so does Cycra.

While we are on the topic of plastic, the other question we get asked all the time is can UFO make me a special color. Here is why we can't. When you change colors in the mold 15 to 20 pieces have to be discarded as the color in the lines change, then to switch it back another 15-20. So to make that one special color for you we have to really make 30 -40 pieces.

Hope that helps.
USA
Fantasy
428th
11/23/2016 6:39pm
Could they use a 3d printer?
Regular 3d printers could not even make a front number plate. Buying just one printer large enough to make plastics like this would set someone back a large sum of money. Not to mention, it would take dozens to make this feasible from a business perspective, as one plate would take over 12 hours or closer to one day to produce with near 100% density.
aeffertz
11/23/2016 6:40pm

mrtuf wrote:
We get ask this basic question all the time. Here is the reason. To make a set of molds for a bike is 150,000 to 200,000...
We get ask this basic question all the time. Here is the reason. To make a set of molds for a bike is 150,000 to 200,000 dollars, so it has to be more than you and a few of your friends that would be interested. This costs also does not include the design time to "restyle" the stock plastic. You can do the math and see how many sets you would have to sell to get your investment back. UFO makes the OEM RMZ style plastic and even with those numbers it has been hard to justify the expense for the RMZ and obviously so does Cycra.

While we are on the topic of plastic, the other question we get asked all the time is can UFO make me a special color. Here is why we can't. When you change colors in the mold 15 to 20 pieces have to be discarded as the color in the lines change, then to switch it back another 15-20. So to make that one special color for you we have to really make 30 -40 pieces.

Hope that helps.
Okay, but that doesn't really answer why they did it for every other manufacturer.

You would think the Suzuki would sell the best because their one molds would fit bikes from the past 8 years or whatever, rather than only 2014 and up models.
MR. X
11/23/2016 6:48pm
To make it even close to cost effective ,the original shape could be utilized and sub-inserts could be built into key features that you would want to change . You still have to figure in downtown to change the sub-inserts over ,down time on a press cost money , a company would really have to have an over whelming request for altered plastic to make it worth their while financially .
mrtuf
11/23/2016 6:50pm

mrtuf wrote:
We get ask this basic question all the time. Here is the reason. To make a set of molds for a bike is 150,000 to 200,000...

Hope that helps.
aeffertz wrote:
Okay, but that doesn't really answer why they did it for every other manufacturer. You would think the Suzuki would sell the best because their one...
Okay, but that doesn't really answer why they did it for every other manufacturer.

You would think the Suzuki would sell the best because their one molds would fit bikes from the past 8 years or whatever, rather than only 2014 and up models.
It is because Suzuki didn't sell enough RMZ's to justify the costs even though it is the same for 8 years.
Just making the original plastic was enough of an investment.
MR. X
11/23/2016 7:01pm
mrtuf wrote:

Hope that helps.
. So to make that one special color for you we have to really make 30 -40 pieces.

I have a feeling you could get a good penny for those 30-40 pieces with that tie dyed look.
mrtuf
11/23/2016 7:15pm
MR. X wrote:
[i]. So to make that one special color for you we have to really make 30 -40 pieces.[/i] I have a feeling you could get a...
. So to make that one special color for you we have to really make 30 -40 pieces.

I have a feeling you could get a good penny for those 30-40 pieces with that tie dyed look.
Sometimes they look cool, but there is no consistency so it doesn't make it a viable option.
Would be near impossible to get a complete set that would look good together.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/23/2016 7:33pm
Can I sell this plastic kit?

How much would it cost to produce, and how much can I sell it for?

How many '08-'17 RM-Z owners are there?

Of those, how many Rm-Z buyers are dying to put new plastic on their bikes?

How many other companies already make a competing kit, thus further diluting my own demand?

Will the total sales be enough larger than the minimum production quantity from the factory to generate sufficient profits?

If not, then no dice. This is likely why Cycra doesn't offer the plastics.
11/24/2016 12:18am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2016 2:36am
Racetech has their own custom plastic shapes for the YZ

ledger
11/24/2016 12:36am
Yamaha's get all the flavor's, I own one and loose sleep at times thinking what color or style I want to go with. UnsureSmile
11/24/2016 12:51am
mrtuf wrote:

Hope that helps.
Ufo certainly did in the past, I had a Puple KX60 back in the day UFO plastic was leaps and bounds ahead of other plastic company's, these days not so much
11/24/2016 3:31am
mrtuf wrote:

Hope that helps.
Finally someone who knows what he's talking about
c130
11/24/2016 4:01am
Very difficult to justify the cost of tooling up against expected sales - injection molding tools are ridiculously expensive.

In years to come this will probably change as the development of 3D printing is growing rapidly.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
11/24/2016 5:13am
mrtuf wrote:

Hope that helps.
MR. X wrote:
[i]. So to make that one special color for you we have to really make 30 -40 pieces.[/i] I have a feeling you could get a...

Maybe that is the reason i've seen different whites from the same company or maybe its age.

I'm not familiar with the machine, But I am surprised how much waste in material before the machine is purged. Im also surprised you have to actually inject to purge the machine.
MR. X
11/24/2016 6:02am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2016 6:03am
Markee wrote:
Maybe that is the reason i've seen different whites from the same company or maybe its age. I'm not familiar with the machine, But I am...
Maybe that is the reason i've seen different whites from the same company or maybe its age.

I'm not familiar with the machine, But I am surprised how much waste in material before the machine is purged. Im also surprised you have to actually inject to purge the machine.
Its not technically waste ,a lot of places can sell/use regrind plastic for other jobs where color is black or doesn't matter. Think of the molding press as a heated tube ,inside the heated tube is a steel auger that spins and feeds the plastic out the nozzle where it enters the mold (in a nut shell) thats the reason for the number of parts between color changes , gotta get the barrel and auger cleaned from the previous run or you get a tie dyed effect
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
11/24/2016 6:11am
Falcon wrote:
Can I sell this plastic kit? How much would it cost to produce, and how much can I sell it for? How many '08-'17 RM-Z owners...
Can I sell this plastic kit?

How much would it cost to produce, and how much can I sell it for?

How many '08-'17 RM-Z owners are there?

Of those, how many Rm-Z buyers are dying to put new plastic on their bikes?

How many other companies already make a competing kit, thus further diluting my own demand?

Will the total sales be enough larger than the minimum production quantity from the factory to generate sufficient profits?

If not, then no dice. This is likely why Cycra doesn't offer the plastics.
Swap, new "YZ65/RM125" for "plastic kit",
and you've answered another topic, or two.

Economies of scale.
bvm111
11/24/2016 8:32am
It's a business, if there was profit to be made they would do it... period.
11/24/2016 9:35am
c130 wrote:
Very difficult to justify the cost of tooling up against expected sales - injection molding tools are ridiculously expensive. In years to come this will probably...
Very difficult to justify the cost of tooling up against expected sales - injection molding tools are ridiculously expensive.

In years to come this will probably change as the development of 3D printing is growing rapidly.
No it won't. 3D printing is far too slow for production purposes.
ga_pike
11/24/2016 1:11pm
mrtuf wrote:
Sometimes they look cool, but there is no consistency so it doesn't make it a viable option. Would be near impossible to get a complete set...
Sometimes they look cool, but there is no consistency so it doesn't make it a viable option.
Would be near impossible to get a complete set that would look good together.
Would it be possible to see some examples of the "discarded" plastics?

Also, while they may not be "suitable" for retail sale based on the coloring, if they are quality pieces, could they be used for A: practice bikes or development concealment? Like the black wrapping used on concept vehicles in public and/or B: lower priced alternatives for people who want an inexpensive piece (value) that they will most likely cover with graphics anyways?
MR. X
11/24/2016 1:55pm
Can I ask why is it so much $$ for a mold? What makes it 60-100k?
Man hours to build it . There is ways to cut costs and pass the savings on to the customer. Most mold shops nickel and dime the shit out of the customer though. The place I spent most of my career building molds would build a mold at cost ,they would make their money by running the parts in house .
philG
11/24/2016 2:49pm
Can I ask why is it so much $$ for a mold? What makes it 60-100k?
Hours of design , hours of machining, hours of polishing.

Post a reply to: Why doesn't plastic companies do this?

The Latest