Why doesn't our sport capitalize on selling replica rider jerseys like other sports do for their players?

flatout111
4/13/2017 10:01am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2017 8:16pm
With most other sports, one significant revenue generator is replica player jerseys. Why doesn't our sport capitalize on this market? I realize our sport is super small, camparitively, but this would be a good way to generate more revenue.

I did purchase a number 70 autogrsphed KRoc rookie jersey at Budds Creek but other than that I've rarely seen rider jerseys for sale.

Just never understood this lapse in marketing. Thoughts?
|
jsleeds
4/13/2017 10:08am
Aren't most of the gear pro riders wear available in store? Grab some lettering mate I'll iron your fav riders name on for ya.
flatout111
4/13/2017 10:23am
Sure, I know you can make your own. But look at most sporting events. Fans are plastered in their favorite players jerseys. This is a missed opportunity.
Vegas
4/13/2017 10:24am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2017 10:25am
Thor used to ('06?) make t shirts with their riders names/numbers on the front. I guess they don't any more

ETA: Maybe they didn't sell well?

The Shop

Bultaco
4/13/2017 10:27am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2017 10:28am
Wrong thread.
peelout
4/13/2017 10:28am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2017 10:30am
a few years ago i was at Vegas and saw a dude walking around in a 22motorsports hat, was sick bro. anyway, i really wanted one bad but then i remembered that Feld and the asshats that run the show won't allow anyone to buy anything at a race besides one of those gay looking black Monster Energy generic bullshit t-shirts.

lame bruh
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2867th
4/13/2017 10:41am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2017 10:42am
peelout wrote:
a few years ago i was at Vegas and saw a dude walking around in a 22motorsports hat, was sick bro. anyway, i really wanted one...
a few years ago i was at Vegas and saw a dude walking around in a 22motorsports hat, was sick bro. anyway, i really wanted one bad but then i remembered that Feld and the asshats that run the show won't allow anyone to buy anything at a race besides one of those gay looking black Monster Energy generic bullshit t-shirts.

lame bruh
Yes, that exactly.

When I went to the supercross in Minneapolis I figured I grab some swag. But I didn't want any of that Bro Monster gear, and was turned away from the store for having an arch on my hat bill.
flatout111
4/13/2017 11:05am
This is a huge issue. So much merch could be sold if they did this or were allowed to do this properly.
mark_swart
4/13/2017 11:16am
The idea has merit from a marketing perspective, but when I look at it I can't see myself purchasing one. I think for a lot of motocross fans we have a different mindset. We actually participate in the same sport as our heroes, as opposed to the average sports fan. Somehow that changes it. And lets face it, jerseys arent all that comfortable to sit around in if you arent riding. It might do better with kids?
I also think for a gear company spomsoring a champion, it would be cool to do a limited run of replicas for those jerseys you always see at the final race with the number one on them. Not much profit in that for them, but it would be cool memorabilia in 20 years.
I agree that somewhere in here, there is a missed opportunity.
MR. X
4/13/2017 11:21am
Hulk hogan used to sell T shirts out of the trunk of his car . Maybe the riders should sell their stuff and keep all the profits.
tprice07
4/13/2017 11:23am
I agree, I think there is a missed opportunity. That said, it would probably bring down the value of my collection of jerseys.
flatout111
4/13/2017 11:34am
I race recreationally and I also play hockey recreationally. Both far from the pro levels. Yet, I buy NHL jerseys and would for sure buy Moto jerseys if they were available.

Would love GuyB or Michael to chime in and ask someone in the industry why this hasn't been pursued. The swag at events is pitiful.
mxb2
4/13/2017 11:39am
The fans can't even get live races on one channel most of the time lol,. Like someone said. , Buy a jersey iron some logos lettering, number. on it .
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
4/13/2017 11:41am
I've seen them as far back as when McGrath was riding in No Fear stuff (and I think those were about $200 at the time).

I'm sure some brands do replica jerseys that they give to their top dealers.

As far as fans being plastered in their favorite rider's jerseys...I've often seen people in here laughing at fans who show up at races in jerseys.
gabrielito
4/13/2017 11:48am
A grown ass man should never wear someone else's jersey but regardless I am sure there are rights and compensation aspects that prevent it. In regular sports you have Leagues and Players Unions. They negotiate licensing and profit dispersion. MX has nothing like that. I am sure if there was a large enough market for it then they would figure out a way to make it work but there probably isn't enough ROI to find a way figure it out.
peelout
4/13/2017 12:00pm
GuyB wrote:
I've seen them as far back as when McGrath was riding in No Fear stuff (and I think those were about $200 at the time). I'm...
I've seen them as far back as when McGrath was riding in No Fear stuff (and I think those were about $200 at the time).

As far as fans being plastered in their favorite rider's jerseys...I've often seen people in here laughing at fans who show up at races in jerseys.
it's not just about jerseys though, i know that's what the OP is about... but the whole merchandise side of the sport could use a swift kick in the ass. i should be able to go over to the Yamaha pit and buy Cooper Webb and Chad Reed merch, or Dungey merch at the KTM rig. it's pretty bad when your nephew asks to get a Dungey shirt and the only thing they sell is generic Monster swag with the name of the series plastered all over it.
MX-LIFE.
4/13/2017 12:01pm
peelout wrote:
a few years ago i was at Vegas and saw a dude walking around in a 22motorsports hat, was sick bro. anyway, i really wanted one...

lame bruh
Yes those tee shirts are garbage! I was listening to the Pod cast the other day with RV and Eli on and a guy called in that had received a jersey from Eli after a race and Steve was shocked that Eli gave the guy a jersey ! Something about Alpine stars not allowing him to give away jerseys. Id buy a Rider jersey my son wanted a JS7 and Reed jersey but can't buy one.I own a cpl NFL Jersey's
4/13/2017 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2017 12:05pm
GuyB wrote:
I've seen them as far back as when McGrath was riding in No Fear stuff (and I think those were about $200 at the time). I'm...

Dude Bro...Like bringing your glove to a baseball game.

The idea makes some sense on the surface...But, the "major sports" have nothing other than team/player merch to offer...Buy a player jersey or team apparel or nothing....
Me, personally, I rock a FMF, Pro Circuit, Bill's Pipes, Dr. D, Monster, Red Bull, Rockstar, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Joe's Cycle Shack (some local to me shop/service), etc. shirt/hoodie/hat before I'd buy any JS7, ET3, AE722, etc gear....
Maybe I'm not alone....?
(On second thought, I'd for sure buy a AE 722 beenie)
mmcmx
4/13/2017 12:02pm
I wouldn't wear a jersey when not riding. Maybe for memorabillia? But I'm not a teenager anymore, when Chad retires I'll loose all fanboyism left in me.

We already have lots of really cool team clothing. Team Honda, ktm and tld stuf are really nice and I don't feel like an idiot wearing it. It just needs to be available in the races.

4/13/2017 12:06pm
The only moto clothing I wear now is my old worn out Ezra Lusk t-shirt.
FastEddy
Fantasy
955th
4/13/2017 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2017 12:51pm
GuyB wrote:

"I've often seen people in here laughing at fans who show up at races in jerseys."

Yep, I'm pretty sure there has been a couple threads over the years dedicated to this. Smile

I think official team pit shirts,hats,t-shirts,hoodies & jackets is a better market.

People who want pro riders jerseys typically want race worn ones and/or autographed ones.

And to answer the OP's question.
Off the top of my head...
In this sport riders often wear different jerseys(sets of gear) at each event throughout the year (and some switch to different gear companies often) I assume unlike in the NFL,NBA,MLB Etc.. home & away uniforms.
That's possibly one the reasons why they don't go overboard on trying to market the stuff and getting tons of it or any of it manufactured for retail consumers etc.. then try to market it with pro riders names & numbers.They try to market more towards racers/riders,personalizing stuff. Then the whole thing with Feld Etc like peely said...

NorcalVet
4/13/2017 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2017 12:19pm
I feel the same way as some of you...

I would feel like a poser if I wore a jersey or even my own
Hats are ok or your own sponsor's hats (no bro ear tucking here)

- and I also think wearing sport jerseys is more the norm but stupid

Now get the f off my lawn -- j/k
philG
4/13/2017 12:16pm
Riders arent allowed to sell stuff unless Feld takes their cut, so where privateer guys could make a few bucks by making stuff to help support them, the big man doesnt allow it.

This was the reason why Josh Hansen bailed on UK SX, because he wasnt allowed to sell his #100 beanies, without someone else getting a cut.

Personally i think it sucks, a few cool T Shirts to buy at the track for $25 isnt going to kill anyone.
4/13/2017 12:17pm
Peelout is on top of the issue here.

FELD is so far up its own ass in not granting license to sell independent merchandise that there's just no possibility for any business activity in this area.

Case in point, Josh Hansen's efford. Dude puts in a lot of work to make some cool 100 products that could really help fund his program, but can only distribute them online.

Imagine how cool it would be if you could support your favorite privateer by purchasing his merchandise at a race? I could see that being a significant (relative) stream of revenue for some of these guys.

But naw, the FELD overlords are too paranoid about protecting their profits in every way possible.
MX-LIFE.
4/13/2017 12:17pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2017 12:20pm
GuyB wrote:

Laughing, why? Watch a NFL NBA NHL game, jersey purchases generates millions of dollars and brings in thousands of dollars to areas around the stadiums where fans tailgate and hang out and what do you see most people wearing? A team or player jersey there would be nothing wrong with representing​ your favorite racer as a fan.What is laughable is the growth of this sport by not not making even sensible efforts for growth. Something as simple as a Rider or team jersey come on Mannnn!
flatout111
4/13/2017 12:31pm
GuyB wrote:

peelout wrote:
it's not just about jerseys though, i know that's what the OP is about... but the whole merchandise side of the sport could use a swift...
it's not just about jerseys though, i know that's what the OP is about... but the whole merchandise side of the sport could use a swift kick in the ass. i should be able to go over to the Yamaha pit and buy Cooper Webb and Chad Reed merch, or Dungey merch at the KTM rig. it's pretty bad when your nephew asks to get a Dungey shirt and the only thing they sell is generic Monster swag with the name of the series plastered all over it.
Exactly.
Rhody
4/13/2017 12:54pm
This has blown my mind as long as I have followed the sport. The purses are a joke and on top of that, the riders can't sell merchandise, it is ludicrous. It really does screw the privateers in particular. Those guys would not sell near the volume that the big guys would, but I would expect they could sell 20 to 30 per week out of the hauler bringin in about 400 bucks. Who wouldn't like an extra 400 added to their check every week. World of Outlaws sprint car teams generate significant revenue from merchandise sales at the track, enough that some of the teams have merchandise trailers they tow from race to race that are much nicer than my actual car hauler.
4/13/2017 12:59pm
I've heard that NASCAR teams usually bring two trucks to the races. One for the team and one full of shit to sell to the fans. And the crowd in front of the merchandise trailer is always huge.
rmoto003
4/13/2017 12:59pm
For the love of god stop trying to turn motocross into Nascar/football

Im gonna lose a sprocket bolt over here
flatout111
4/13/2017 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2017 1:08pm
GuyB wrote:

Yeah, I've seen that as well but I think anyone who laughs at someone who wears their favorite rider's jersey...Well, let's just say I don't get that whatsoever and think that's pretty ridiculous if someone does so. Again, everyone's entitled to their opinion. That's mine.

We are fans and if someone is passionate enough to wear their favorite rider's jersey and swsg then I applaud them, especially since getting jerseys isn't as easy in our sport as most.

Post a reply to: Why doesn't our sport capitalize on selling replica rider jerseys like other sports do for their players?

The Latest