Why does a USGP HAVE to have all the top US riders?

TFS
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 7:59pm
I really doubt other countries whine about their GP in terms of do the riders from that nation show up to prove they are better as a nation.

Why is this always the case in the US?

The GPs are a series that came to the US to race. That's cool. It's not a World vs "fill in the blank" series. It's a world championship that travels, and it needs to stop in the US too.

So what's the big deal?
|
mxgeoff
6/4/2010 5:44am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:18pm
I think the AMA riders might have brought more of a crowd, and I did love the AMA versus FIM with Alessi, Townley, Desalle and Cairoli. The more the merrier.

Mind you, the GP riders can make their own show and a million television viewers and a large number of internet viewers tell the real story, not an extra few thousand at the race itself.

It's up to Glen Helen to find a major sponsor to make it work. Maybe Monster is that sponsor for 2011.

In saying that, isn't Bud from Glen Helen pretty rich. Does he need to money, or does he do it because he loves the sport.

Geoff
`ol Ger
6/4/2010 6:27am
Bud is comfortable, yes. The real back story however is the rivalry between US and GP. That is why 40k people went to Budds Creek in September 2007.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
6/4/2010 6:27am
mxgeoff wrote:
I think the AMA riders might have brought more of a crowd, and I did love the AMA versus FIM with Alessi, Townley, Desalle and Cairoli...
I think the AMA riders might have brought more of a crowd, and I did love the AMA versus FIM with Alessi, Townley, Desalle and Cairoli. The more the merrier.

Mind you, the GP riders can make their own show and a million television viewers and a large number of internet viewers tell the real story, not an extra few thousand at the race itself.

It's up to Glen Helen to find a major sponsor to make it work. Maybe Monster is that sponsor for 2011.

In saying that, isn't Bud from Glen Helen pretty rich. Does he need to money, or does he do it because he loves the sport.

Geoff
With all due respect mxgeoff, I doubt anyone would do something to lose money regardless of being rich.

Without any doubt if more AMA riders showed up and after a year or 2 for fans to accept that if they want to see top level racing at Glen Helen, more will show. The USGP shouldn't have to have all the top US riders but that's how it is in this market.

Many people on here have said they loved watching the Canadian nationals on TV because of the great racing but imagine if a race came to the US ... I doubt many would show up to watch.
txmxer
6/4/2010 6:31am
Which series is the preeminent series?

If someone wins the Canadian series nobody thinks that person would automatically run up front in either the fim or ama series. Win an ama title or fim the question is immediately out there.

The Shop

41NDT
6/4/2010 6:35am
The only way it is going to get top US riders is to make it a part of the AMA series
e.g. Points earned from GP for AMA riders will count for AMA series
NetMXer
6/4/2010 6:37am
The USGP doesn't HAVE to have the top US riders. That's why they didn't race and thats why noone went to watch.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
6/4/2010 6:39am
Yes like Geoff says, it's always better when you can have the better riders in the region racing at the GP against the best riders of that series. It's fun for racing, fun for bench-racing. Yes, of course, the MXGP doesn't need to have the best AMA US riders to exist or to be, as TFS says, but in essence, the best riders available, all mixing it up together, the rivalries, etc, would be really cool.

MaxPower
6/4/2010 7:20am
because the United States is the best country and we have National Pride.Well, maybe only some of us do anyway apparently

And some of us havent forgotten how the Euros rubbed our face in the butt whoppins they gave us pre 1980 Thats Why
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
6/4/2010 7:57am
It doesn't, but it would be more fun if it did. In the end, though, a good race is a good race and more mx is better than less.
pie8man
6/4/2010 8:01am
41NDT wrote:
The only way it is going to get top US riders is to make it a part of the AMA series e.g. Points earned from GP...
The only way it is going to get top US riders is to make it a part of the AMA series
What's so hard about this? Bring the sound of the AMA bikes to the appropriate level (which is long overdue) and send em racing for points and bragging rights.
prozach
6/4/2010 8:05am
41NDT wrote:
The only way it is going to get top US riders is to make it a part of the AMA series e.g. Points earned from GP...
This is what needs to happen. But for some reason it seems like it never will.
mccread
6/4/2010 8:15am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:18pm
It doesn't and they did have the current top american rider in the 450 nationals racing...

Four of the top 10 US finishers competed in the US GP anway...

There is no rivalry between the GPs and the Naionals they are both great but different - the GPs are a world championship the AMA the best national series, and similar in standard to a GP. It also has GP riders running at the front in that series every year proving that the GP guys are as good as the AMA guys.. the real question is how would the US rider fair in a full GP series...not the other way round.

Sherwood
6/4/2010 8:30am Edited Date/Time 6/4/2010 8:32am
TFS wrote:
I really doubt other countries whine about their GP in terms of do the riders from that nation show up to prove they are better as...
I really doubt other countries whine about their GP in terms of do the riders from that nation show up to prove they are better as a nation.

Why is this always the case in the US?

The GPs are a series that came to the US to race. That's cool. It's not a World vs "fill in the blank" series. It's a world championship that travels, and it needs to stop in the US too.

So what's the big deal?
The same reason a GP in China wouldn't have a huge show without a top Chinese rider in the series.

Nerd
6/4/2010 8:31am
NetMXer wrote:
The USGP doesn't HAVE to have the top US riders. That's why they didn't race and thats why noone went to watch.
So, my 450 Words column was wrong, yet here are all these people saying basically what I said.

Interesting...

Smile
lucero10x
6/4/2010 8:36am
NetMXer wrote:
Nerd wrote:
So, my 450 Words column was wrong, yet here are all these people saying basically what I said.

Interesting...

Smile
I counted four out of fifteen, yourself included, that agreed with you. I just think you sounded like a cryin little ornery bitch in your 450 words column. Like maybe you had an axe to grind. The redbull arch falling was some massive bullshit, though.
Outsider
6/4/2010 8:38am
NetMXer wrote:
Nerd wrote:

Interesting...

Smile
Yeah, all the experts that didn't go. Also Interesting...
rileymx
6/4/2010 8:47am
It doesn't, but it would be more fun if it did. In the end, though, a good race is a good race and more mx is...
It doesn't, but it would be more fun if it did. In the end, though, a good race is a good race and more mx is better than less.
sadly you are one of the few that see it that way.........
i was surprized to see that for most mxfans in america there is a priority to motocross racing, a top class track with top class riders in top class bikes is not enough for them......they prefer geography to motocross.......!!!!!!!!
its all about that litle flag in front of the winners names in the entry list so its better to only mix the stars and stripes with the others at the mxdn, where the odds are greatly in their favor cuz the poll of riders is hugly bigger then any other flag.........
for me it was a great race in an wonderfull track, i'm proud of rui even if he is not at is best, loved to see mike and zack do good in their home race, felt sorry for jimmy...he really needs a break...!!!!
i think that the true mxfans that saw it live, on tv or on the net were very pleased with it all......it was also a good chance for those that though ryno and dietrich were sure podiums to see that they need to upgrade their knowledge of motocross......and for the glen helen crue to really think about cross-track banners...!!!!!!!!!!
so in the end......for me important is to have top class mx races, specially in a track like that and with the best riders....whatever flag is infront of their name.......!!!!!!!!
6/4/2010 8:55am
For some reason US moto fans tend to be extremely nationalistic.

If I didn't live on the other side of the country- I would have gone to Glen Helen to see the Euro riders and bikes- not the same guys you can see at any national.

RACEGUY
6/4/2010 9:05am
For some reason US moto fans tend to be extremely nationalistic. If I didn't live on the other side of the country- I would have gone...
For some reason US moto fans tend to be extremely nationalistic.

If I didn't live on the other side of the country- I would have gone to Glen Helen to see the Euro riders and bikes- not the same guys you can see at any national.

Nationalistic?...or jingoistic??
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
6/4/2010 9:14am
41NDT wrote:
It's not the only way, but it's a good idea and one we've talked about on the boards for several year going back to the early 2000's. And probably before that before the internet. A series within a series.

Just takes collaboration.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
6/4/2010 9:16am Edited Date/Time 6/4/2010 9:26am
NetMXer wrote:
Nerd wrote:

Interesting...

Smile
Sometimes style eclipses substance.
mxgeoff
6/4/2010 9:21am
NetMXer wrote:
Nerd wrote:

Interesting...

Smile
lucero10x wrote:
I counted four out of fifteen, yourself included, that agreed with you. I just think you sounded like a cryin little ornery bitch in your 450...
I counted four out of fifteen, yourself included, that agreed with you. I just think you sounded like a cryin little ornery bitch in your 450 words column. Like maybe you had an axe to grind. The redbull arch falling was some massive bullshit, though.
That is how I read it. Like a spoilt kid who didn't get his lolly pop. Did you get your lolly pop Nerd.

mccread
6/4/2010 9:27am
NetMXer wrote:
Nerd wrote:

Interesting...

Smile
Your 450 words was 100% correct, I have been saying it for years Smile i'm just wondering what it had to do with the 450s when half of the top 10 in that calss raced the GP... lol
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/4/2010 9:32am
Geoff, let's try to stick to the topic at hand, rather than make it personal.

For the decade or so (because there hasn't been a GP here), it has always been a U.S. vs. The World thing at the MXoN, which is why any race that features GP guys vs. U.S. guys tends to be looked at that way.
line-up
6/4/2010 9:35am
mccread wrote:
It doesn't and they did have the current top american rider in the 450 nationals racing... Four of the top 10 US finishers competed in the...
It doesn't and they did have the current top american rider in the 450 nationals racing...

There is no rivalry between the GPs and the Naionals they are both great but different - the GPs are a world championship the AMA the best national series, and similar in standard to a GP. It also has GP riders running at the front in that series every year proving that the GP guys are as good as the AMA guys.. the real question is how would the US rider fair in a full GP series...not the other way round.

There is no rivalry between the GPs and the Naionals

you think so?

at MXsport and RX they must be freaking out, the euro invasion is not what they want
Huckster
6/4/2010 9:43am
mccread wrote:
It doesn't and they did have the current top american rider in the 450 nationals racing... Four of the top 10 US finishers competed in the...

The US series has the best riders from the U. K., France, NZ, Australia and Canada. It has more GP champions racing in it than the GP's do. It is ultimate goal and destination for the majority of the GP riders. Next year another GP champion will be leaving to come try to capture fame and riches in the US and as soon as MX Sports changes the age restriction, the 2 best young GP riders will be here as well. That is not nationalism, it is simply undeniable fact. It doesn't matter why, it is the reality.

The best soccer players in the world play soccer in Europe. The best basketball players come to play in the NBA. The best golfers golf on the PGA tour. The best motocross racers race the US sx/mx series. Until the powers to be make it one tour like Tennis, that is the way it will be. The best will seek out the best.
TFS
6/4/2010 9:46am
mccread wrote:

line-up wrote:
[b]There is no rivalry between the GPs and the Naionals[/b] you think so? at MXsport and RX they must be freaking out, the euro invasion is...
There is no rivalry between the GPs and the Naionals

you think so?

at MXsport and RX they must be freaking out, the euro invasion is not what they want
I wonder if there are any countries besides the US where the national MX promoter works so hard to prevent a GP in their country?

It seems that GPs are good news everywhere else, but here they are not supposed to be?
Huckster
6/4/2010 9:55am
dude let it go....that axe must be ground to death. The attendence directly refelcted the interest. RJ can say what he wants, but I would bet that if GH ran the national as originally scheduled, it would have been much better attended all things being equal.

mccread
6/4/2010 10:04am
mccread wrote:

Huckster wrote:
The US series has the best riders from the U. K., France, NZ, Australia and Canada. It has more GP champions racing in it than the...
The US series has the best riders from the U. K., France, NZ, Australia and Canada. It has more GP champions racing in it than the GP's do. It is ultimate goal and destination for the majority of the GP riders. Next year another GP champion will be leaving to come try to capture fame and riches in the US and as soon as MX Sports changes the age restriction, the 2 best young GP riders will be here as well. That is not nationalism, it is simply undeniable fact. It doesn't matter why, it is the reality.

The best soccer players in the world play soccer in Europe. The best basketball players come to play in the NBA. The best golfers golf on the PGA tour. The best motocross racers race the US sx/mx series. Until the powers to be make it one tour like Tennis, that is the way it will be. The best will seek out the best.
sigh yet more ignorance.. there are more world titles racing in the GPs...It also has most of the top international talent. The GPs have just as much talent as the American series and some of that talent are GP riders... GP riders are taking over.. this year an American may not win a World title or their own American series.. that is pretty crazy!

If the best are in the US how did Cairoli win the US GP against the current top US rider?..

GPs are just as good as the USA series they are just different one is a world title the other a national title- the level isn't superior in either... when you can get you arrogance in check... maybe you can enjoy both like most people instead of looking at it as a competitiion.. it's not, both are great.

ATKpilot99
6/4/2010 10:09am
mccread wrote:

Huckster wrote:
The US series has the best riders from the U. K., France, NZ, Australia and Canada. It has more GP champions racing in it than the...

mccread wrote:
sigh yet more ignorance.. there are more world titles racing in the GPs...It also has most of the top international talent. The GPs have just as...
sigh yet more ignorance.. there are more world titles racing in the GPs...It also has most of the top international talent. The GPs have just as much talent as the American series and some of that talent are GP riders... GP riders are taking over.. this year an American may not win a World title or their own American series.. that is pretty crazy!

If the best are in the US how did Cairoli win the US GP against the current top US rider?..

GPs are just as good as the USA series they are just different one is a world title the other a national title- the level isn't superior in either... when you can get you arrogance in check... maybe you can enjoy both like most people instead of looking at it as a competitiion.. it's not, both are great.

I dont know why you let these posts get to you . People are just baiting you . Any rational thinking person who has any knowledge of motocross realizes that the talent level in both series' is comparable.

Post a reply to: Why does a USGP HAVE to have all the top US riders?

The Latest