Why do you ride or follow MX?

huck
Edited Date/Time 3/10/2019 4:01pm
Here's my story....

When I was a wee lad I always wanted to be the next Rick Johnson.... I liked his flair. I had trail bikes when I was young, but no way were my parents going to let me race. When I turned 16 I got a brand new KX125 (1989). It was a rocket!!! They still wouldn't let me race...only ride trails and hit an occasional practice track. I had a blast on that thing....but rode less and less as I hit 17 and 18. I sold it after a couple years as it just sat in the garage....

Fast forward a few years and life happens....I got married and one of my friends got into riding trails when I was 24. I thought it would be fun to get a 125 and hit some with him.... I picked up a sweet 1995 RM125...but quickly found out that I needed a 250. So off to the Kawasaki shop I went...leaving with a badass 1996 KX250. Total power machine!!!!! I started just riding some trails with some friends, then found a local practice track (I think the biggest jump was a 25' double). I bet I put 10000 laps in at that place. So after about 6 months of riding, I was ready for my first race!! I loaded up with some friends and we went to "Sprout Patch Raceway" for a round of the Missouri State Series. I think they were getting around 500-600 riders per event in those days. I was nervous as hell, as the 250 beginner class had a full gate of 25-30 riders. It had been the first time I had ever lined up at a gate...... when it dropped I just sat there....lol watching everybody go.

I finished 2nd to last my first race...and 5th to last the 2nd moto....but I was hooked!!!! I started riding more and more...every weekend we were going to races...I was still running the beginner class, but getting better with each start. After a couple months, I was lapping a lot of the guys I was racing...and decided to take the 'big step' (lol) to the novice class.

In 1999 my son was born and the riding slowed down a little. But it wasn't long and I was back at it hot and heavy...riding every chance I had. At this time I was on 1998 KX250 and ready to move up again to the intermediate class. First race in the B class I was feeling great. We lined up and there were 3 A riders and 4 B riders. About half way into the first moto I was 4th over all (2 A riders and 1 B rider in front of me). I passed the B rider on a long ski jump and slowed for the corner...well, this guy didn't like me passing him and totally wiped me out in the new 180 corner. I was all the way to the inside and he just rammed the shit out of me....making me crash. I felt my leg hurt like hell, as the bike was tangled up with me. He got up and kept going, as I was stuck under the bike..... I finally got out and my leg was hurting...BAD! The ambulance pulls down there and they figure that my leg is broken and want to transport me to the hospital. The closest hospital was in West Plains, MO...about 1.5 hours from my house...so I tell them that I want to go home, and go to my hospital. My friends load up my truck and I head out on the drive home...calling my wife and telling her that to get a baby sitter, as we are heading to the ER when I get there. I get home and take a shower and change... My ankle was what hurt the most. The ER doc said that it looks like it got VERY twisted, because it broke my leg in 3 spots right where the top of my boot was...

I was "finished" with MX...I had broken my wrist a year before and decided that I was too old (28) for that shit! Well, after a couple months of rehab, I was ready again and had the bug!!!!! Smile

A couple years pass and I decided that 250C was the best class for me...then with 30 on the horizon, I was excited about a new class....and with the new found 4 strokes. I hit 30 and had a 2004 YZF450. It was the best thing I had ever ridden, and I was going faster than ever before....So I decide I was going to try for Ponca....at a qualifier in Tennessee, (for +30B maybe?) I got a very good start, I think there were 25-30 bikes lined up...I was in the top 5. I passed a couple in the first half of the first lap...then on a little 20 foot double I must have chopped the throttle....over the bars I went and I thought I was dying....I couldn't breath. It was the most scared I have ever been. When I finally got settled down, I felt a pain in my shoulder that I had never felt. Again the EMT's wanted me to go to the local hospital...nope.

We loaded the mini-van and trailer up, and the wife and kids and I headed home (4 hours) with a broken shoulder in tow...lol
Again, I was 'done'...no more of that shit!
The rehab on this one took about 6 months....and you guessed it, i was ready to ride again!! Smile

Then I started (with my partner DirtBikeMike) the Mountain Home Faircross. It had been my dream to promote a race in the local fairgrounds rodeo arena. The first year we did this, we had 50 racers and maybe 500 people in the stands. Our goal was to not lose money...and we didn't...but we didn't make any either. The local support was INSANE! I had people coming up to me at the grocery store asking when the next one was...and saying that they can't wait! We built an AX track pretty close to a national AX track (not quite a peaked). The years clicked by and we had 9 events in 10 years. The height of it was 150 racers and over 2500 fans at one event. We had some of the areas best racers attend as we paid a $3,000 pro purse..plus dash for cash...Chad Cook, Aaron and Adam Gulley, Corey Green, Sean Hackley, Blake Keaton, Lee Taylor, Brett Cue...are a few of the pros that have helped support our event. I would race every year as well...having fun with it. Well, the last couple years the weather has been crappy and I haven't even taken my bike off the stand... With the amount of complaining that I've received, and the lack of desire, I decided that last year was the last one that I will promote. It was a great run and was lots of fun...but I'm burnt out...with the work and the complainers. (my partner is going to continue to have one in Hot Springs in the fall)

The last 10 years I have ridden less and less with a few races mixed in here and there...

I have debated on selling my bike and gear...but it's a 2007 CRF450 that is super reliable...and doesn't eat a thing. So for now, I will keep it and just ride 3 or 4 times a year. Because the day after I sold it, I'd get the bug and want to go out and buy a brand new one!!!!! lol

(end blog) Wink
|
zehn
7/22/2014 8:12am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2014 8:13am
Hm... I'll bite.

I follow the sport because many of my earliest memories are from either at the track, or in the basement room where my dad worked out to be in better shape for motocross (while watching old races he had videotaped). That room is littered with the many trophies, photos, magazines, etc. that he has accumulated over the years. I swear I've thumbed through every damn magazine he has down there.

Since my early childhood, I've loved the sport, and something about it keeps pulling me back, whether its the jumps, the gnarly terrain, the speed, whatever. I enjoy riding too, but I can't race anymore because of the blood thinning medication I take. It's just too dangerous. That's a very hard pill to swallow (pun intended) for a 24 year old male, but it's something I have to accept.

I have been and will continue to be a lifelong fan of this great sport. The purity of its spirit is unrivaled in today's era of flashy lights, hundred million dollar contracts, and made for TV events.
No-K
7/22/2014 8:13am
My Dad bought me a Honda Mini trail 50 in 1969 and I bought a brand new Suzuki TM125 from bagging grocery's in 1972.

I've been riding dirt bikes ever since.

I miss him
mgifracing
Fantasy
346th
7/22/2014 8:23am
Nice read huck, The ol Sprout patch was a fun track. My parents owned a kawasaki shop when I was a lil kid, Started flattracking in 1974 and that's where it started my two wheeled addiction.
Samuel
7/22/2014 8:47am
Nice story. I started riding because my dad rode and got me an xr80. He only liked trail riding. The first time I tried to ride, I was 11 and ended up running myself into a tree within 30 feet of letting out the clutch. I started crying and never wanted to ride again. When I was 14 I decided I wanted to try again in a more open area with no trees. I was hooked from the moment I was moving. I rode circles around the house all day, but what I really wanted to do was jump. I piled up dirt in the backyard and made little mounds to jump off. I thought I was pretty cool. Then, Gregg Godfrey went into my dads shop to get his truck repaired. Godfrey ended up giving my dad a copy of Global Addiction. I was blown away. From then on, all I wanted to do was ride freestyle. I could only do one handers on the xr80 and ended up breaking the spokes in the rear wheel from jumping too much. In 2003, my parents got me a crf150f and I started jumping more. I bought stiff springs for it and built a little wooden ramp so I could continue to get better. In 2005, i bought a 1987 ktm350 two stroke. It was old and somewhat heavy, but it sure put the crf to shame. I continued trying tricks, but at the same time began to love freeriding. I loved hitting jumps in the hills and dunes. I broke the frame in half on the ktm and had no money to get another bike. I took my dad's 1982 xl500 and rode it while my ktm was broken. I would jump the xl and even did tricks on it. I broke it too. I moved to attend college in the fall of 05 and didn't ride again until 2009 when I bought a 1998 kx250. I was still all about freestyle and freeriding at that point. I ended up building a full size fmx ramp later with a friend and had a lot of fun jumping it when I could. I never did get very good at freestyle because I couldn't hit my ramp frequently without a permanent set-up. In 2011, I went to my first supercross race and was hooked. I have watched every race since then, and freestyle has become boring to me. Motocross is still not as exciting to me as supercross, but it's growing on me. I got a 2007 crf450 a couple years ago and enjoyed freeriding a lot with it. a few months ago, I sold it and bought a kx250. I decided to enter my first race last month. I only finished my first moto, because I couldn't bear to stay at the track all day in the heat. I also raced this past saturday and finished both motos. It was 93 degrees and I hated it. The track was really rough, and I crashed in each moto. I haven't ridden tracks, so rutted turns are completely new to me. I really want to improve, but in Utah it seems tracks only open for practice the day before a race. I can't explain why I want to do another race, but it's all I've been thinking about since leaving the track. So in answer to the question of why I ride mx? I really don't know.

The Shop

7/22/2014 9:04am
I love mx and more to the fact 2-stroke mx. I love the fact that mx is the toughest sport on earth and probably the universe. Seeing how mx has been treated like a crap sport for most of it's existence and now it's really admired for it's skill and toughness. So here's hoping it's around for a long time..... crazy rooster125
jtomasik
7/22/2014 9:04am
Fuck if I know. All I know is a wanted to go fast on any kind of motorcycle since I first started noticing them around 4th grade or so.

I'll never be without a dirt bike. Thinking of getting another 500AF and going super moto with it. And, also thinking of adding a dual sport to my house.
DA498
7/22/2014 9:16am
wow, where does a guy start? Mini bikes as a kid, dirt, summer sun, and going to a local race as a spectator with dad set the hook.
reading about "the man" in motocross action magazine and buying every issue from the grocery store with my lawn mowing money.
choosing marty smith to be my hero and trying to make my Yamaha mx125 look like an elsinore.
entering my first race and looping out trying to get a jump on the rubberband start gate.
learning to train and practice to get improved results
enjoying the camaraderie of fellow friends and racers
going crazy over the works bikes of the pros
got jobs in the industry as a mechanic at franchise dealers and then suspension tech at white bros to be close to the stars
basicly patterned my life around mx
the discipline, dedication and desire to succeed
love to ride, love the sport, love the lifestyle
mx rules......
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
7/22/2014 9:33am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2014 9:38am
Yeah where to start ?
First time on a bike ? Camping as a kid at Leo Carillo state park. My neighbor wanted to know if I wanted a ride on his Yamaha, I had no idea what a "Yamaha" even was. 10 minutes later it was all I wanted to do.
First time I saw an MX track and race ? We were at Escape Country for a BMX race, I heard the bikes go off and went over and stood at the fence,..... fuck the bicycle I want one of those. Downhill ever since Laughing Nice topic !! Interesting reads on how we all got into this excruciating fun haha. Hard on the body, hard on the wallet, but somehow it's all we want to doTongue

I know if you ask someone who doesn't ride the answer is easy, it's cause we're all fuckin nuts

visser62
7/22/2014 9:34am
My dad started racing in 1973, and continued all the way up until 2002. When I was born in 1992, I was already predestined to love this sport. I don't ride as much as I'd like, but I've never stopped being a hardcore fan.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
7/22/2014 9:43am
Probably should bring up Bruce Brown, I know me and my circle of friends lives changed direction after seeing On Any Sunday in a theater.
7/22/2014 9:53am
The beginning of a love story ! When I was 4 years old I woke up on Christmas morning to a shiny new 1987 Honda Z50, rode the wheels off that thing until I wanted to sell it for a go cart ! Then on Christmas morning I woke up at like 2 am and a brand new 1993 Honda XR 80 was sitting in the living room. I'm glad my dad knew I would like that better than a go cart ! Absolutely tortured that poor bike, no oil changes, zero maintenance ! Just put gas in it and rode it to death. Sometime in 95 I got my mom to buy me a MXA magazine after attending a local fairgrounds race (JMX Racing Rollercoaster Racing Tour @ The Cleveland County Fairgrounds) I knew I had to race motocross. I fell in love with the 96 Honda CR 125 ! I had to wait until 1998 when I had to make a decision on getting a system for my truck ( I was about to get my liscense) or get a new 1999 CR 125 ! I chose the CR, Man that thing was sweet, It was like riding a steel I Beam, But it was one sweet ride. I raced for the next few years up until I was about 20. I have been an avid follower of all things motocross since 1995, and the only hing I enjoy more than this sport is my wife and kids, even though they sometimes get put on the backburner for a couple weeks a year for me to race !!!
7/22/2014 9:54am
Good read and nice topic pick, Huck.

For me, it started because I was raised in the Mojave Desert in the 1960s and 1970s. MX and dirt bikes were practically a rite of passage. I had friends that had mini-bikes and one with a Yamaha that had a red tank like the bigger DT models. I think it was a 60?

Well, my mom and dad wanted nothing to do with it. I finally saved up enough money to buy a 1974 YZ80 (I think it was a '74). I bought it used and rode it constantly. I remember hitting a chain stretched across a dirt road behind the local high school. It was getting dark and I didn't see it until the last second. I was able to lay it down, but it still caught the throttle side of the handle bars and tore off the throttle on its way to catching me under my right arm and then my right chest. It wouldn't shift anymore either. I rode it home pulling on the nub of throttle cable that was still sticking out of the cable end - in 2nd gear. Those were the days. Not sure what happened to that bike.

I had a close friend once I got into high school, and he had a brand new RM125B in early '77. I would tag along with them to all the races, at Indian Dunes, Sprocket's Park, Bishop, Adelanto, Edwards, and a few others I can't remember anymore. However, I never did get to race as I didn't have a bike. I finally bought a used RM250B around '78, but never raced that either - I was too scared. I did learn a bunch about maintenance though as the gear box broke on me and I helped my high school shop teacher do the repair. Finally, in 1979, my friend with the RM125 had graduated to a '79 RM250N - but dope became his priority - so his dad (whom I'd grown close to) sold it to me for like $700. It was practically new. I never raced it either - still too scared. I don't remember what happened to either 250. Weird how that works.

Anyhow, I went on active duty after high school and did not even see a dirt bike for 6 years. I was sent here to Florida and figured no one in Florida even knew what a dirt bike was - let alone MX. Boy was I wrong. 1986 rolls around and I want to move back to Cali after my second tour was up in 1987. My Florida-born wife was like, "The desert? Uh, I'd really rather not." My diabolical plan was soon hatched and came out in this form, "I'll stay here if you'll agree to my getting a brand new '86 CR125." It worked! I finally worked up enough courage to start racing when I met some guys at a local riding area (remember those - they were free!) and got to be buds with a guy that wanted to race his YZ490 (insanity!). So we did. I was hooked. I then bought an '87 CR125 and found bliss. I raced all of the time. I was finally getting pretty good at 125C and even led some motos. Something would always happen though. Like a flat-tire, or one time when I installed the handlebar clamps with the arrow pointing the wrong way and my bars went down into my knees. It was always something. I won some plastic and marble gee-gaws here and there and had a lot of fun and met some of the best people in my life.

I bought an '88 RM250 and raced that a few times, then bought an '89 YZ250 and raced that a few times. By now I had 2 sons to go along with that sweet Florida girl I'd married. I started thinking about getting hurt and all that, so I sold the YZ around 1993 and thought it was all over.

20 years go by and I'm 51 (that was almost two years ago now). I get the wild-hair again. My still pretty and sweet Florida girl says, "Have you lost your freaking mind!?!?" when I tell her I want to ride and race again. But, being who she is, finally said, "If you really want to, then I'm behind you 100%." So, here I am again.

What I love about our sport is the people you meet and the friends you make. I also really dig the technical aspect of our sport. I like that there are techniques to going faster, and I like trying to figure them out and practice them.

I miss those days out in my little desert town where I could ride to the end of the street and have miles of open desert in front of me. After I retire in 3 years, maybe I can make that happen again. It won't be Cali, but I think Idaho or Wyoming will do.

Sandberm
7/22/2014 10:07am
Because its a thrill to hold your line and go as fast as you can without falling down.

I watch others race(sx, nationals) because they can do it better then me and I appreciate that.
The Rock
7/22/2014 11:30am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2014 11:32am
Rode a mini bike for the first time in 1970 and started racing February 20, 1972. Numerous injuries, broken bones and multiple retirements mainly due to back issues have yet to deter me. Every time I think I am done after some time I realize I was just "freshening up" to go back at it and try it again.
dr516
7/22/2014 12:57pm
Moto is life
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
7/22/2014 1:13pm
Because I saw On Any Sunday in 1971
Tim507
7/22/2014 1:14pm
Its addiction........that I never want to over-come it !! It all started with my first set of two wheels, then I added a motor and has become my life's passion. When I was younger and met my first girl friend it was like wow...however when I went to bed the thoughts of her were pushed out of my head with dirt bikes......

Riding bikes with motors has taken me all over the world and allowed me to meet some great people in this sport!

sumdood, that guy in your avatar, I've had the pleasure of riding with him in Chile, NZ and Baja...even spent a week in Riverside at his home.

One time I had over 80 vintage bikes and many modern bikes. Today I'm down to a few of each and get great enjoyment out of working on themSmile

peelout
7/22/2014 1:24pm
my Old Man divorced my mom when i was 10 and bought himself a dirt bike and started doing desert races and going riding all the time. he bought me a bike when i was 12 and it's been my life ever since.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
7/22/2014 1:35pm
My wife ask me all the time why I like motocross so much, its a question I really had no answer for, so I thought why do I ? Why do I still ride? Why do I still enjoy something so much that most stopped enjoying as kids?

It goes why beyond the bike itself, it gives me the opportunity to see things in life that most guys over look, a boring hillside to them has a different meaning to me, most things to me look like a jump, berm or obstacal to overcome. I've seen streams, hillside and mountains that only a handful have. It has taken me to towns and places I otherwise wouldn't have ever gone before. It has given me the oportunity to forge friendships in so many different places and so many different cities. The friendships I have made through riding will be friendships that will last a life time because of one common interest, The Bike. There is no social or economic class among riding friends, they just know they like to ride. The Bike has pushed me physically and mentally much further and harder then any stick and ball sport ever could have. and now, riding with my son bring me more joy then I ever thought it could.

Crashing and injuries are apart of riding, one minute you're having the best day of your life, and the next you're waking up on the way to the hospital. These are risk I'm willing to take to get better on The Bike, and Its the times I'm hurt, and the times I can't ride that I learn to appreciate riding more.

When I ride, I have no stress, no worries and nobady judging me, its just me and my bike pushing myself beyond what I'm capable of.

Riding has taken me places I wouldn't have gone before and has allowed me to forge friendships I would'nt otherwise have, but its also given me a whole different way of seeing things, I see things in a different perspective then most my age, all because of The Bike. I ride for all these reasons, but the biggest reason is that everytime I ride, I smile, and that is why I ride.
bionic218
7/22/2014 1:41pm
Basically because I'm just very immature, and that's coupled with astonishingly low impulse control.

Well, that...and I've always had a thing for anything naked, fast, shiny, and loud.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
7/22/2014 2:46pm
Good topic, I ride and follow mx just cause I love it and am addicted to it like drugs. It's awesome cause it's fun and a great workout.

I don't like the getting hurt or others getting hurt but overall it's just so fun I can't stay away.
dmc22tx
7/22/2014 3:05pm
I rode my first motorcycle in 1979 and have been hooked since. I friend of mine's dad got him a motorcycle in a trade for some carpenter work that he had done. We were best friends and I spent so may days with him burning tanks and tanks of gas through that thing. I think it has a KLR125.
That progressed to me buying a YZ 125 and that was it.. Dozens of bikes and tens of thousands of dollars later I rode through my 20s, 30s and early 40s.
I no longer ride but still follow avidly.
motomike137
7/22/2014 3:10pm
The short version of my story is that it's my buddy Dan's fault. He bought one of these brand new and as soon as I heard it fire up and watched him ride it I was screwed!

Outsider
7/22/2014 3:29pm
Because when I'm riding good, hitting my marks on a track, or flowing nice on a trail, or carving up a moist sandwash, nothing on this earth feels better... no drug, no chick, nothing.

And watching fast guys do on a bike things I can only dream about keeps me hooked as a fan.

To Huck's OP... tl;dr Wink
7/22/2014 5:07pm
Can't explain it. Its like war when the gate drops. Man and machine vs. man and machine. No teammates. No time outs.

Stick and ball sports just suck ass to me.
mehow2g
7/22/2014 5:33pm
I used to live in a mining town with a population of about 2000 people, there was a whole lot to do there so my dad bought me a honda 50CC when I was 5, by the time I was 7 I was on a 60cc.

I was fortunate enough to have a lot of friends (10) who their fathers also bought them motorbikes as money was really good in this town.

My life was basically school go home get on my bike ride out of my backyard and go into the bush to the local motocross track with a friend and come back at dark... I have no idea why my parents let me go out by myself I guess they trusted me.

Then when I was 9 I got a 1999 KX80 that's when it really started getting fun, I was the fastest kid in the town and I would beat most adults who would ride on the track, When I was 11 my family moved to one of Australia's capital cities called Perth.

Being a country kid I was a pretty shy person I only knew my friends I had back at home that I've known for 8 years, my first day at school in Perth I met my first friend who just so happened to race motocross so I got my dad to sign me up to the local motocross league, I went to practice with my friend and his Dad at my new local motocross track and I was pretty shocked to see the track it was much more difficult then the one back home and I kinda realised I wasnt the fastest kid anymore lol but at the time I still thought I was good and I didnt need practice to race, at my first 80cc race I got my ass handed to me and as some kids who think they are kings I had a big cry about how I lost.

I raced a few more times I got better I made it to B grade but I hated losing and for some reason I gave up my passion for videogames and take away which pretty much screwed my life for 10 years. Today I'm 24 and I really want to get back into it this time with a more mature and positive mindset, Im currently am saving for KTM150sx.

plowboy
7/22/2014 6:21pm
Minibike to 1968 Suzuki 50. Saved my money and bought a '73 CZ 125. My parents freaked and made me take it back and trade for a KS125. I rode it till school was out then I put. Bill Wergiss downpipe., KX rotor and knobbies on it and went racing. I did pretty good. Traded my 1941 project car for a 1974 CR125 with koni shocks., full redline treatment. Joined the air force so I could get yo Europe and race. While in basic training the shop burned down and I lost bike and all equipment. Bought a new in the crate 1975 Yamaha 400MX and went racing in England. Got my ass handed to me. Got really involved in my career and family so didn't really ride again till I came home from Desert Storm and my wife said I was a little rough and needed an outlet. Bought a 1988 XR600 and started racing HS. Switched to a 2002 Yamaha250. Dirt is my life dudes.
Forza
7/22/2014 6:28pm
For the fat chicks! And the speed.
Rdubs19
7/22/2014 7:08pm
My dad ran off when I was born and we were stretched pretty thin I guess. Lived outside town and nobody in my family rode motorcycles at all. When I was 4 my grandparents brught home a Manco 50cc, and I've never really asked them why. I plowed it straight into a tree, hard. I could go on for hours about what dirt bikes and motocross meant to me back then and still do 19 years later, some of those memories and what it meant for my family to have something to bond over literally make me tear up, and I am not a crier whatsoever for anything. Couldn't see an inch of paint on my wall growing up from all the posters and mag pics I cut out. Never had the money to pursue racing seriously but I trained my ass off anyway on and off the bike from a young age. Had to completely give up motorcycles for college and I was indescribably miserable over it. Thank God that's over and I'm finally getting back to the real me.

Post a reply to: Why do you ride or follow MX?

The Latest