Why attend vs watch SX

dkg
Edited Date/Time 4/9/2016 3:37pm
Ok, I am one of the lucky ones here in SoCal that have the opportunity to attend quite a few Supercross events each year. With all the discussions about the “chase”, entertainment vs sport, tv coverage, stadiums and tracks having an impact on attendance, I tried to figure out why I actually attend vs watch the events from home. I probably attend about 6 of the races (roughly 1/3 of the season), mostly in SoCal but also in adjoining states and the Finals in Vegas. So here is my list, I am wondering if others are similar:

Factors that cause me to attend.

1. The racing
2. Seeing what I want to see, not just what television wants to show me
3. Attending practice to watch and photograph
4. The excitement and overall flavor of being at the event
5. Meeting friends at the event
6. Seeing the pits (applies to A1 race only)
7. Talking to the Riders – usually in the privateer pits - the others are too busy)

Factors that cause me to watch

1. Dealing with Parking &Traffic
2. Dealing with Ridiculous People
3. Ticket Prices (Cost of club seats got excessive for what you get, just moved up a level)
4. Concession prices – I didn’t realize that hot dogs and drinks could cost that much.
5. The full body cavity search to get in the doors – yeah, this annoys me at all types of events and personally I think offers little additional security against a determined or competent criminal/terrorist

There have been a few times that I went and wished I hadn’t. Usually when there is a poor track design that affects the racing. This seems to have been the biggest single factor on whether or not I was glad I went. A poor track design has much less effect when watching on TV. The producer can always find something somewhat interesting to show. I think that the overall point standing/has the championship been decided really figured very little into whether or not I attended an event. I went to see the racing on that evening. Most the time the series has been decided before the finals occur, yet, I still attend. IMHO, to boost attendance at the stadium, focusing on the quality of the product and cost are the biggest factors. I'd pay more for a great product and don't want to leave thinking, damn, that was a waste of time and money.
|
bob567
4/8/2016 11:54am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2016 12:04pm
No way I would attend a live SX. There are 4 within 1hr of me. Complete waste of time and money. I can dvr the mains and watch them both in under 30 minutes. If you have never been to one you should go. After that it is only to show off to your chic. SX should not be presented as entertainment or a extreme sport. It should be displayed as the pinnacle of a motorsport discipline. Let the monster truck crowd fill the stands and pits. Im sure the riders will love that.
DoctorJD
4/8/2016 12:09pm
Cause me to watch:
Too many casual fans go to the Atlanta round. People who are there to party and don't give a crap about the race.

The show is stale. Period.

Lurch screaming at the top of his lungs is beyond annoying. Why? Who thinks this brings anything to the show?

Inconvenience: It took an hour to get out of the parking deck this year.

Cost.

The racing just hasn't been good this season.

Cause me to attend:
I've only missed one Atlanta SX since 1977.

I've been going with my son since he was 6. He's 18 now.

The smells, the excitement as you walk in and hear the bikes echoing off of the stadium walls the first time.

Catching subtle things throughout the night that you don't see on the TV broadcast.

Rowlands
4/8/2016 12:13pm
bob567 wrote:
No way I would attend a live SX. There are 4 within 1hr of me. Complete waste of time and money. I can dvr the mains...
No way I would attend a live SX. There are 4 within 1hr of me. Complete waste of time and money. I can dvr the mains and watch them both in under 30 minutes. If you have never been to one you should go. After that it is only to show off to your chic. SX should not be presented as entertainment or a extreme sport. It should be displayed as the pinnacle of a motorsport discipline. Let the monster truck crowd fill the stands and pits. Im sure the riders will love that.
Holy cow Bob you have the grumps tonight ! Everything ok bruh ?
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
4/8/2016 12:24pm
cause me to watch:

parking
hotels/motels
$
sno-cone supercross plastic mugs/cup=$20.00

but.....going to a outdoor national has much better perks...

The Shop

h&m_cycle
4/8/2016 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2016 12:43pm
bob567 wrote:
No way I would attend a live SX. There are 4 within 1hr of me. Complete waste of time and money. I can dvr the mains...
You are the "Man" Bob... It's great to watch at home because you can channel surf...

That being said I plan to attend High Point, Red Bud & maybe Indiana... Moto on...

I wouldn't walk across the street to watch a Supercross Race... I have attended, in the past, Pittsburgh, Orlando,
Jax, Daytona & I was at Tampa stadium when Mike Craig got his win...

Premixed112
4/8/2016 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2016 1:00pm
Why ever go to concerts? Why not just watch taped shows on your computer or TV? Same equally ridiculous question. Nothing compares to seeing in person (and possibly meeting) your favorites riders, smelling that race gas, hearing the bikes, sitting in the front row for the qualifying practices, seeing how big the jumps actually are etc. etc. If you have to ask why, maybe it is best that you stay home so there's more seats available for people that actually appreciate watching live performances.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/8/2016 1:41pm
I've been going to SX races every year since the 1st one at the Colisium when I was just a kid. To me you cannot appreciate the talent the riders have when watching on TV so that is one advantage of seeing it in person. Really the only drawback for me is the crowd at the So Cal rounds. Seems that half are there to get shitfaced and annoy everyone around them and they have no idea who is racing. If your only interest in SC is an excuse to get drunk please just go to a bar or stay home.

Traffic can be avoided by arriving early and staying late so that is never an issue.

Cavity searches r just a part of any live event thanks to the fuckheads of the world.

Concession prices are not an issue if you're not pounding beers. I usually Bbq n the parking lot and go in full.

Ticket prices have never been a issue for me. Shit it cost $28 for me and my wife to get into a movie nowadays. For the level of entertainment it's a deal.

I only attend the first half of the series and have never made a trip to Vegas unless there was a title on the line...which usually happens once every 10 years if that.
Starcrossed
4/8/2016 1:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2016 1:44pm
You Cali guys are very fortunate. For me it's a rare opportunity to view the bikes up close and...basically everything Premix just typed out....and KennyT. See y'all at the races.
ns503
4/8/2016 1:47pm
The closest one to me is an hour & half flight, 3 nights hotel, 3 days meals, etc. etc..

I can't fathom anyone within an hours drive, not going to watch, for the sake of an hours drive and parking.
Mit12
4/8/2016 1:55pm
I am 80 miles from the closest SX race and with the cost of parking 2 tickets dinner gas and a beer it caust roughly $250 to attend a race. Devide that into the minutes of racing I get to see and it just don't make sense.
blusmbl
4/8/2016 2:09pm
I've driven from Detroit to Toronto once, and Detroit to Indy twice to attend in person. I think most of you don't actually enjoy the racing, the riders or the sport, you just like complaining about it on the internet.
mxb2
4/8/2016 2:19pm
blusmbl wrote:
I've driven from Detroit to Toronto once, and Detroit to Indy twice to attend in person. I think most of you don't actually enjoy the racing...
I've driven from Detroit to Toronto once, and Detroit to Indy twice to attend in person. I think most of you don't actually enjoy the racing, the riders or the sport, you just like complaining about it on the internet.
Exactly,. I like both tv and live, nothing beats real live events. , sx. And mx.
daemon616
4/8/2016 2:28pm
Live is the best. You get to see the whole race. TV is convenient but it's can't compare.
4/8/2016 2:44pm
DoctorJD wrote:
[b]Cause me to watch:[/b] Too many casual fans go to the Atlanta round. People who are there to party and don't give a crap about the...
Cause me to watch:
Too many casual fans go to the Atlanta round. People who are there to party and don't give a crap about the race.

The show is stale. Period.

Lurch screaming at the top of his lungs is beyond annoying. Why? Who thinks this brings anything to the show?

Inconvenience: It took an hour to get out of the parking deck this year.

Cost.

The racing just hasn't been good this season.

Cause me to attend:
I've only missed one Atlanta SX since 1977.

I've been going with my son since he was 6. He's 18 now.

The smells, the excitement as you walk in and hear the bikes echoing off of the stadium walls the first time.

Catching subtle things throughout the night that you don't see on the TV broadcast.

Why does casual fan attendance matter? Take them away and say bye bye to your Atlanta round. I have a feeling most vital members would be the ones getting into fist fights in the stands over who got the holeshot.
DownSouth
4/8/2016 2:51pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2016 2:56pm
It seems that some of the Cali crowd is a bit jaded from too many races nearby and they have to come up with reasons not to go. Huh
HenryA
4/8/2016 3:16pm
Factors that cause me to watch

1. Im on the wrong fucking continent
4/8/2016 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2016 3:46pm
$20 for parking when parking for an Angel game is $10. Parking attendant told me 100% of increase goes to Feld.
The cute signs to cover regular signage at the concession stands, a moto dude plus the updated prices. I wonder who gets the extra cash?

Which brings me to not ONE DOLLAR paid in overage. I believe Ascot paid overage 50 years ago and speedway in the 70's and 80's certainly paid overage. The bigger the gate the bigger the purse.

The screaming announcer is in a league all his own to me but does remind me of the commercials from long ago, 30 seconds mostly showing crashes.

I have made it to about 40 races. First was at the Coliseum in 1976, Anaheim every year from 1983 to 2006
plowboy
4/8/2016 4:27pm
I don't go to SX for the same reason I don't go big concerts. I can't really see shit from that far away. I'm old so I cut my teeth leaning over a snow fence slapping the riders on the back as they went by. I've seen Cheap Trick, AC/DC, Van Halen, Soft White Underbelly (bonus to anyone that knows the real name of that band) in venues of less than 300 people. I've been to SX and arena concerts...it just don't do it for me.
h&m_cycle
4/8/2016 4:39pm
BOC and if it wasn't for MX Sports, Feld probably would of ruined Motocross too...
potatoflake
4/8/2016 4:45pm
bob567 wrote:
h&m_cycle wrote:
You are the [b]"Man" Bob[/b]... It's great to watch at home because you can channel surf... That being said I plan to attend High Point, Red...
You are the "Man" Bob... It's great to watch at home because you can channel surf...

That being said I plan to attend High Point, Red Bud & maybe Indiana... Moto on...

I wouldn't walk across the street to watch a Supercross Race... I have attended, in the past, Pittsburgh, Orlando,
Jax, Daytona & I was at Tampa stadium when Mike Craig got his win...

I love going to the Nationals every year, it's like being a little kid again
RangerLee
4/8/2016 4:50pm
I LOVE going to live events, the energy at live events, SX included just make it so much fun. Plus I can watch what I want to watch when it comes to the action on the track, I am not at the mercy at a production director that keeps a camera on some riders while another battle is happening.

That said, the closest SX I have to me is New York (Jersey in actuality) and I went to the first one 2 years ago, it was great.

I guess they realized with the number of people that went, they should raise the ticket prices, and they did...alot. Priced me out of it as I take the whole family when we can go.
motogeezer
4/8/2016 4:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2016 4:55pm
plowboy wrote:
I don't go to SX for the same reason I don't go big concerts. I can't really see shit from that far away. I'm old so...
I don't go to SX for the same reason I don't go big concerts. I can't really see shit from that far away. I'm old so I cut my teeth leaning over a snow fence slapping the riders on the back as they went by. I've seen Cheap Trick, AC/DC, Van Halen, Soft White Underbelly (bonus to anyone that knows the real name of that band) in venues of less than 300 people. I've been to SX and arena concerts...it just don't do it for me.
Blue Oyster Cult.

What do I win?

I was at the Super Bowl of Motocross in '72, and have been to hundreds SX races since.

Haven't been to one for several years.

I'd much rather sit on my comfy couch, in my heated living room, eat reasonably priced food, and drink reasonably priced beer.

REAL MX, on the other hand...

I camp at the track and eat reasonably priced food and drink reasonably priced beer.

I'll see you guys at GH.
plowboy
4/8/2016 5:04pm
plowboy wrote:
I don't go to SX for the same reason I don't go big concerts. I can't really see shit from that far away. I'm old so...
motogeezer wrote:
Blue Oyster Cult. What do I win? I was at the Super Bowl of Motocross in '72, and have been to hundreds SX races since. Haven't...
Blue Oyster Cult.

What do I win?

I was at the Super Bowl of Motocross in '72, and have been to hundreds SX races since.

Haven't been to one for several years.

I'd much rather sit on my comfy couch, in my heated living room, eat reasonably priced food, and drink reasonably priced beer.

REAL MX, on the other hand...

I camp at the track and eat reasonably priced food and drink reasonably priced beer.

I'll see you guys at GH.
Sorry Geezer, h&m beat you to it but the prize is rock respect. I was surprised that two of you got it so quick.
plowboy
4/8/2016 5:11pm
Every American moto fan owes DC mucho respect for keeping it real. He gets it.
vetmxr
4/8/2016 5:29pm
I've gone to supercross and motocross races since the late 70's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but after going to supercross races in the 80's and 90's......It seems to me that the 2000's up to now are lacking in a lot of things, it just doesn't seem the same to me. But I am 47 years old now and my tolerance for large public events of any kind is pretty much nothing compared to what used to be. I've been to a LOT of races in my life and now I love my easy chair and dvr.

Now outdoor moto is an entirely different story.........thats still a good experience to go and watch n person. TV does not do the raw speed of outdoors any justice, kind of like supercross obstacles.
Jimmy_Sloan
4/8/2016 5:51pm
Actually attending the event is fun because of the whole environment, the riders, the pits, the sound of the bikes roaring up the start. It's all fun. If you don't like being there, it's your loss.
Detroit Dick
4/8/2016 6:13pm
As with most things, live is always better.

You can watch the battles you choose, rather than being at the whim of the TV coverage.
The sound is incredible.
It's like a frikken circus, action everywhere you look.
My boy LOVES it! (on TV he's bored halfway thru the moto)
We always meet some good moto people.
My first SX was in the Pontiac Silverdome in 77' and I still get an adrenalin rush when they're on the gate (don't happen when I'm watching on the TV)
It is expensive, but we pack some food to "tailgait" and save some $$

I prefer MX over SX, but for my money both of them are far superior to any stick/ball sports.

That said, I'd gladly pay per view for races I can't get to. WTF is that not an option?
The Rock
4/8/2016 6:35pm
Why ever go to concerts? Why not just watch taped shows on your computer or TV? Same equally ridiculous question. Nothing compares to seeing in person...
Why ever go to concerts? Why not just watch taped shows on your computer or TV? Same equally ridiculous question. Nothing compares to seeing in person (and possibly meeting) your favorites riders, smelling that race gas, hearing the bikes, sitting in the front row for the qualifying practices, seeing how big the jumps actually are etc. etc. If you have to ask why, maybe it is best that you stay home so there's more seats available for people that actually appreciate watching live performances.
This ^^^^

Post a reply to: Why attend vs watch SX

The Latest