Why are Factory riders allowed special tires ?

1/12/2012 10:16am
Drew580 wrote:
uh.. NASCAR and F1 issues the teams the tires every weekend so I'm pretty sure they all run the same tires. Just saying
They don't run the same tires in F1. Brand yes, tires not necessarily. They have 2 compounds to choose from and are forced to use both but not in any order and only during the race. Compounds cannot be mixed either. NASCAR changes the compound from track to track depending on surface.
TeamGreen
1/12/2012 11:27am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2012 11:27am
Seems to ba a lot of the classic "This tire/That tire" sucks goin' on in here. OK.

Terrain v. tire selection, Air Pressure (Often WAY lower than most folks would believe), Suspension/Chassis set-up...are huge contributors to this issue.

Me?

I can make a 71 front and 51 rear work just about anywhere. Even Mammoth. I'll go 71 rear as soon as we're talking TRULY "Hard/Rocky" terrain. At a place like Mammoth I'll run a 31/11 in the morn (Rr) and can end up on a 71 by the after noon; or, run a 51 all day. I do run a 51frt tire in the front when the terrain is "multiple-choice".
lumpy790
1/12/2012 6:09pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2012 6:10pm
up till this race he was dead even off the line with others...with tire watching in slow motion...had him pulling them

He even said the same thing
nickm
1/12/2012 6:19pm
Drew580 wrote:
uh.. NASCAR and F1 issues the teams the tires every weekend so I'm pretty sure they all run the same tires. Just saying
They don't run the same tires in F1. Brand yes, tires not necessarily. They have 2 compounds to choose from and are forced to use both...
They don't run the same tires in F1. Brand yes, tires not necessarily. They have 2 compounds to choose from and are forced to use both but not in any order and only during the race. Compounds cannot be mixed either. NASCAR changes the compound from track to track depending on surface.
Not to mention you're comparing F1 to MX? seriously? An F1 wheel costs around 10K EACH and a tire is around 5K a pop. Yeah thats 60K to swap wheels and tires...so maybe its best to pick a different form of motorsports to compare....

Back in reality-land, its very common for motorcycle roadrace series to run a spec tire, everyone gets the same build along with a choice of a couple of compounds...the downside is it just makes tires more expensive for everyone and at the end of the day everyone finishes exactly where the would have had the tire choice been open.

The Shop

SEEMEFIRST
1/12/2012 8:44pm
MtnBoy wrote:
The problem with spec tires is they'd have to give them to every local pro that shows up to try and qualify. NASCAR etc don't really...
The problem with spec tires is they'd have to give them to every local pro that shows up to try and qualify. NASCAR etc don't really have this issue to deal with.
NASCAR/ Goodyear aren't giving tires to anyone. They buy those tires. How the hell could Goodyear afford to pull up 36 weeks a year with 2-3 truck loads of one of the most expensive tires they make, and just pass them out?
DrSweden
1/13/2012 1:44pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Seems to ba a lot of the classic "This tire/That tire" sucks goin' on in here. OK. Terrain v. tire selection, Air Pressure (Often WAY lower...
Seems to ba a lot of the classic "This tire/That tire" sucks goin' on in here. OK.

Terrain v. tire selection, Air Pressure (Often WAY lower than most folks would believe), Suspension/Chassis set-up...are huge contributors to this issue.

Me?

I can make a 71 front and 51 rear work just about anywhere. Even Mammoth. I'll go 71 rear as soon as we're talking TRULY "Hard/Rocky" terrain. At a place like Mammoth I'll run a 31/11 in the morn (Rr) and can end up on a 71 by the after noon; or, run a 51 all day. I do run a 51frt tire in the front when the terrain is "multiple-choice".
Good points. Maybe naive on my behalf, but how much of a mental thing is this really? How much worse can a 51 be compared to the magic factory compound they use? I'm sure the blend in the over the counter sometimes correlates with the factory blend? Or they use super special rubber?
kongols
1/13/2012 1:52pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Seems to ba a lot of the classic "This tire/That tire" sucks goin' on in here. OK. Terrain v. tire selection, Air Pressure (Often WAY lower...

Me?

DrSweden wrote:
Good points. Maybe naive on my behalf, but how much of a mental thing is this really? How much worse can a 51 be compared to...
Good points. Maybe naive on my behalf, but how much of a mental thing is this really? How much worse can a 51 be compared to the magic factory compound they use? I'm sure the blend in the over the counter sometimes correlates with the factory blend? Or they use super special rubber?
I remember reading that Reed tried riding a couple of laps on SX track with regular tires on and said that he feared for his safety and had no idea how can you race on something like that.
DrSweden
1/13/2012 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2012 3:03pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Me?

DrSweden wrote:
Good points. Maybe naive on my behalf, but how much of a mental thing is this really? How much worse can a 51 be compared to...
kongols wrote:
I remember reading that Reed tried riding a couple of laps on SX track with regular tires on and said that he feared for his safety...
I remember reading that Reed tried riding a couple of laps on SX track with regular tires on and said that he feared for his safety and had no idea how can you race on something like that.
I had no idea it could differ that much? Me as a mortal have noticed difference between some tires, but I newer had the same day to compare to, and in all those instances I think the lack of traction was more dirt related than anything? New knobbies has always been what stood out though...

But, on this level, these things matters and obviously are very noticeable...
peelout
1/13/2012 3:08pm
kongols wrote:
I remember reading that Reed tried riding a couple of laps on SX track with regular tires on and said that he feared for his safety...
now that you bring it up, i remember reading/hearing about that

Post a reply to: Why are Factory riders allowed special tires ?

The Latest