Why Tomac dominated?

level
Edited Date/Time 4/24/2017 7:39am
I mean he is passing the best riders in the world like they are standing still. Quite embarrassing actually.

So why? What is so different?

Bike setup

One thing I noticed is how tall and stiff his bike is. It looks like he is riding a 500. Dungey looks like he is riding an 80.
Some of the best riders in history like Stewart and villopoto have rode there bikes very stiff and it allows them to dominate.
The down side is you have to learn to ride the bike like that. It takes time and changing technique and allows you to ride a different limit and go faster in the whoops where tomac was picking up almost a second just there.
The problem with this setup is it's high reward high risk. It allowed rozcen to dominate also.
I would of loved to see tomac of last night against roczen. We really did get screwed as race fans when rozcen got hurt.

Thoughts on tomac domination?

|
tempura
4/23/2017 7:39am
He's dominating because he has the potential, and he's worked hard to reach it.
It's not the bike, it's him.
Tim507
4/23/2017 7:45am
The biggest thing I saw was his ability to corner with his feet on the pegs in multiple situation - Confidence!!
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
4/23/2017 7:52am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 7:52am
tempura wrote:
This is correct.

He has the confidence and aggression. RV had that also. Dungey has had it before also.

Did you notice his body positioning going through those whoops? Crouched down, elbows up, head forward over the handlebars. That was something special we got to watch last night. Good for him!
4/23/2017 8:01am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 8:03am
I agree that his corner speed is amazing. Anytime there's a shot of Eli through the turns he just looks so unbelievably fast, but at the same time he doesn't seem to sacrifice it significantly anywhere else. Imo he probably is the fastest rider in the world right now, in MX and SX. He's found a set-up and technique that works everywhere in unison (though of course you can't ever count Ryan out either).

The Shop

captmoto
4/23/2017 8:18am
I agree that his corner speed is amazing. Anytime there's a shot of Eli through the turns he just looks so unbelievably fast, but at the...
I agree that his corner speed is amazing. Anytime there's a shot of Eli through the turns he just looks so unbelievably fast, but at the same time he doesn't seem to sacrifice it significantly anywhere else. Imo he probably is the fastest rider in the world right now, in MX and SX. He's found a set-up and technique that works everywhere in unison (though of course you can't ever count Ryan out either).
Agree on the corner speed. He was really hammering the corners and the whoop section. He had super confident aggression.
4/23/2017 9:57am
I saw him in person. Wow he was on rails. He was blitzing those whoops like freaking stew. After the whoops he'd triple into that turn and rip that turn down the start straight with both feet on the pegs.
4/23/2017 9:57am
I agree that his corner speed is amazing. Anytime there's a shot of Eli through the turns he just looks so unbelievably fast, but at the...
Mx hasn't started, and last time he raced he didn't win. Don't get me wrong I think he's going to completely destroy everyone outdoors this year, but you can't say that yet.
4/23/2017 10:05am
Mx hasn't started, and last time he raced he didn't win. Don't get me wrong I think he's going to completely destroy everyone outdoors this year...
Mx hasn't started, and last time he raced he didn't win. Don't get me wrong I think he's going to completely destroy everyone outdoors this year, but you can't say that yet.
Last time he raced MX would be the Glen Helen GP which he did win.
4/23/2017 10:21am
Mx hasn't started, and last time he raced he didn't win. Don't get me wrong I think he's going to completely destroy everyone outdoors this year...
Against the gp guys on his soil and their last race. Didn't mean too much.....
4/23/2017 10:27am
He dominated because he's better. People who were watching closely knew this was coming at some point. I think some people underestimated his injuries to the shoulders and how long it would take to truly recover from them. Now we are seeing full recovery along with a good bike setup that he likes.
4/23/2017 10:33am
Come on shaff, you can admit it, you forgot about the gp, both of them
cali11
4/23/2017 11:12am
Against the gp guys on his soil and their last race. Didn't mean too much.....
Oh so the GP guys were just taking it easy, cause it was the last 2 races? Got it!
4/23/2017 11:15am
I did forget about the gp races but you can't say he's fmotp because of two races in the US. Especially during the end of the season when the championship was already spoken for!
4/23/2017 12:06pm
You have to be kidding me
4/23/2017 12:15pm
I did forget about the gp races but you can't say he's fmotp because of two races in the US. Especially during the end of the...
I did forget about the gp races but you can't say he's fmotp because of two races in the US. Especially during the end of the season when the championship was already spoken for!
Do you remember 2015 Hangtown? or Glen Helen the week after? Look I don't know if he's the fastest man on the planet but at this point who do you think is faster? I guess you could make a case for Roczen but he also stepped through the bars at half the events he's raced since getting on that Honda so personally I don't think he's going too fast right now. Not to mention I don't believe we've seen Kenny go this fast in SX.

The Eli we saw at the early rounds of the outdoors in 2015 is the same Eli we're seeing now IMO. He ended up getting hurt pretty bad and I think that set him pretty far back, and continued to hold him back through most of 2016 but I think he's back to form and ready to take on anyone in the world.
drt410
4/23/2017 12:24pm
The whoops make bike setups challenging because you have to sacrifice corner stability and really the rest of the track for a bike to be stiff enough to crush whoops. . Thats why you see people that are very good in the woops wash out the front in corners a lot.

As to why hes dominating. Hes that good. Took a lil bit to come back from serious surgeries and learn a new bike but they have it figured out.
Flip109
4/23/2017 12:25pm
The only person that could touch him outdoors has a very fucked up arm. A hungry Dungey could give him fits. But I hate to say it. I think this is Dungeys swan song season. He's got wins and plenty of championships. The fight in him is not the same as it once was. Tomac is the alpha of the pack right now. The big bad wolf. Hell looks at the pic of Dungey almost whincing when Tomac passed him. He had nothing for him. Looks like the New Sherrifs in town. Until/unless Kroc can come back 100%. Tomac is the man.

William
4/23/2017 12:29pm
level wrote:
I mean he is passing the best riders in the world like they are standing still. Quite embarrassing actually. So why? What is so different? Bike...
I mean he is passing the best riders in the world like they are standing still. Quite embarrassing actually.

Bike setup

One thing I noticed is how tall and stiff his bike is. It looks like he is riding a 500. Dungey looks like he is riding an 80.
Some of the best riders in history like Stewart and villopoto have rode there bikes very stiff and it allows them to dominate.
The down side is you have to learn to ride the bike like that. It takes time and changing technique and allows you to ride a different limit and go faster in the whoops where tomac was picking up almost a second just there.
The problem with this setup is it's high reward high risk. It allowed rozcen to dominate also.
I would of loved to see tomac of last night against roczen. We really did get screwed as race fans when rozcen got hurt.

He dominated because he is on another level as a rider than anyone else......Its no mystery... If Tomac were black he would be considered "the fastest man on the planet"....Dont believe it ??
Why is he not creating half the buzz that Stewart did when he put on a show even less dominate or convincing....He has been dominating all year....Dungey is FAST..Announcers act like he should be labeled Mr. Consistency...Take Tomac out of the equation and ask the other riders if Dungey is fast or not.
Sodipop
4/23/2017 12:31pm
level wrote:
I mean he is passing the best riders in the world like they are standing still. Quite embarrassing actually. So why? What is so different? Bike...

Bike setup

William wrote:
He dominated because he is on another level as a rider than anyone else......Its no mystery... If Tomac were black he would be considered "the fastest...
He dominated because he is on another level as a rider than anyone else......Its no mystery... If Tomac were black he would be considered "the fastest man on the planet"....Dont believe it ??
Why is he not creating half the buzz that Stewart did when he put on a show even less dominate or convincing....He has been dominating all year....Dungey is FAST..Announcers act like he should be labeled Mr. Consistency...Take Tomac out of the equation and ask the other riders if Dungey is fast or not.
Moron
Hut
4/23/2017 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 12:35pm
Hey Will shouldn't you be at a Klan meeting somewhere? Don't forget you little red hat.
William
4/23/2017 12:36pm
"Moron" Is not an intelligent argument to counter in any factual or sensible, pragmatic way....It is a losing argument...Correct me in a substantial way with something of merit that directly challenges what I wrote...Otherwise you have ZERO to work with and are actually are making my point for me.
William
4/23/2017 12:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 12:49pm
Hut wrote:
Hey Will shouldn't you be at a Klan meeting somewhere? Don't forget you little red hat.
Pointing out what I did has ZERO to do with racism...It is a fact...Tell me with substance where I am wrong....What is the diffrrence ??
It is YOU that are behaving like a racist and backing up the peculiar fact that I already pointed out...
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
4/23/2017 12:45pm
tempura wrote:
Was he not working hard last year and earlier this year? Less potential?
4/23/2017 12:56pm
tempura wrote:
Madmax31 wrote:
Was he not working hard last year and earlier this year? Less potential?
He wasn't fully recovered from his injuries which were a lot more serious than people realize. You don't just come back as soon as you can move your arms and shoulders again and voila!! you're back and as fast as you ever were. It takes a lot of time and a lot of hard work - heck some rider never make it back.
early
Fantasy
2212th
4/23/2017 12:58pm
William wrote:
Pointing out what I did has ZERO to do with racism...It is a fact...Tell me with substance where I am wrong....What is the diffrrence ?? It...
Pointing out what I did has ZERO to do with racism...It is a fact...Tell me with substance where I am wrong....What is the diffrrence ??
It is YOU that are behaving like a racist and backing up the peculiar fact that I already pointed out...
James deserved all the hype he got in the first half of his career, his color was notable but not the reason. He had the results to back up the hype.
kaptkaos
4/23/2017 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 1:08pm
William wrote:
"Moron" Is not an intelligent argument to counter in any factual or sensible, pragmatic way....It is a losing argument...Correct me in a substantial way with something...
"Moron" Is not an intelligent argument to counter in any factual or sensible, pragmatic way....It is a losing argument...Correct me in a substantial way with something of merit that directly challenges what I wrote...Otherwise you have ZERO to work with and are actually are making my point for me.
Thank you. I totally agree. All the keyboard warriors here think they can win an argument with a simple minded personal attack. That has been allowed on here for years so its rampant.

Just ignore it and use the block feature accordingly. This is not saying I agree or disagree with your initial post, just agreeing with your comment about being called a moron by a Vitard.

Back on topic, to the OP, you stated KR is also running a super stiff bike? I think it has been widely publicized that he rides a very soft sprung bike, even to the point that it may have caused his last two ejections off the Honda. Theres several articles about how he runs softer suspension and more stockish components.

However, I really do not think the stiff bike is the reason why Eli is killing it. I think RC ran a really soft rear, and so did RV and we dont know what RD runs. Basically its all over the board.

Eli is killing it because he is in his PRIME, he is gelling with his team, and the competition has NOTHING for him.

Sad but true, we only have 3 elite riders in the US, and one has a broken arm, and the other is in the sunset of his career. The rest of the riders are just very good Pro's, but they cannot compete with an Elite rider for 17 weeks. Every now and then Eli will have an off weekend and allow a JA21 or MM25 to have a win, but those guys CANNOT compete with him over 17 weeks.

Its always been this way, from MC, RC, JS7, RV, RD, now ET and KR.

Consider the Eli vs Roczen to be like Reed vs Stew.

A Chase is not going to fix this.
Hut
4/23/2017 1:03pm
Hut wrote:
William wrote:
Pointing out what I did has ZERO to do with racism...It is a fact...Tell me with substance where I am wrong....What is the diffrrence ?? It...
Bringing race into this particular thread is ridiculous.
William
4/23/2017 1:05pm
William wrote:
early wrote:
James deserved all the hype he got in the first half of his career, his color was notable but not the reason. He had the results...
James deserved all the hype he got in the first half of his career, his color was notable but not the reason. He had the results to back up the hype.
Yes He did !!!
Tzevtkoff
4/23/2017 1:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 1:31pm
- Master of corner speed.
- Intensity and power of riding
- Mentality of warrior
- Big heart for big jump's
- Physics.
- Maturity

Tomac looks like 90' riders with more technics, so powerfull.

Hello from Everts land all.
Fat Fingers
4/23/2017 1:28pm
I know it probably didn't make a difference but instead of Carlos writing 'you can' on the pit board lap after lap, why not write 'skim the whoops'.

Dungey lost loads of time in them unknowingly and had he picked up on that 8 laps earlier, he might have been able to hang on for a few more laps.

Post a reply to: Why Tomac dominated?

The Latest