Why Ricky Fowler chose golf.

Edited Date/Time 4/14/2014 6:57pm
Ricky Fowler is definitely a fan of our sport and started riding when he was a young guy. I think I remember him saying something about qualifying for Loretta's. I might have heard that wrong though. Anyways, his decision to golf instead of moto may have been a good one.

This is just for the Masters tournament.
|
bartoner
4/14/2014 10:39am
I was just tellin my wife this yesterday....our 3 year old son loves dirtbikes and golf (dont ask me how he picked up golf, as I dont play)...so i was joking with the wife sayin, we should have him stick to golf, more money to be made, easier on the body, and from what i know, easier on the pocketbook....
Socket946
4/14/2014 10:51am
bartoner wrote:
I was just tellin my wife this yesterday....our 3 year old son loves dirtbikes and golf (dont ask me how he picked up golf, as I...
I was just tellin my wife this yesterday....our 3 year old son loves dirtbikes and golf (dont ask me how he picked up golf, as I dont play)...so i was joking with the wife sayin, we should have him stick to golf, more money to be made, easier on the body, and from what i know, easier on the pocketbook....
It's not as hard as MX...but it's not easy on the body.
4/14/2014 10:56am
???
Golf is a very difficult game to become good at. And it's a thousand times easier on the body.

The Shop

BAMX
4/14/2014 11:11am
Plus, your career is way longer. Fred Couples is in his late 50's and was still in contention up until Sunday.
4/14/2014 11:19am
bartoner wrote:
I was just tellin my wife this yesterday....our 3 year old son loves dirtbikes and golf (dont ask me how he picked up golf, as I...
Socket946 wrote:
Golf is probably harder.
Brent
4/14/2014 11:31am
Most people could be a manager at McDonalds and make more money that your average national MX professional over their career.

The Villopotos and Stewarts of the world are the talent lottery winners, freaks of nature. MX is not a job choice I would ever suggest to my kid, even if he did have god given talent.
4/14/2014 11:42am
Brent wrote:
Most people could be a manager at McDonalds and make more money that your average national MX professional over their career. The Villopotos and Stewarts of...
Most people could be a manager at McDonalds and make more money that your average national MX professional over their career.

The Villopotos and Stewarts of the world are the talent lottery winners, freaks of nature. MX is not a job choice I would ever suggest to my kid, even if he did have god given talent.
almost agree with ya. But if my kid had the talent and will, I would definitely let him race. It would be awesome if he was a pro golfer though. education, money, health......
mx836
4/14/2014 11:48am
Good thing he chose golf, since he is now a professional, and there is a 99.9% chance he wouldn't have ever raced pro MX.
Sandberm
4/14/2014 11:52am
$342,000 pffft...I read on Vital that you can make $750,000 working only 2 months a year in the oil fields of Australia.Cool
P
4/14/2014 11:57am
Not to mention that the work environment is a lot nicer.

P
Sandberm
4/14/2014 12:01pm
But does he get to tuck his ears into his hat at Augusta?
Panic_Rev
4/14/2014 12:08pm
Sandberm wrote:
he was fully tucked on Sunday!
Sandberm
4/14/2014 12:27pm
Sandberm wrote:
Panic_Rev wrote:
he was fully tucked on Sunday!
Niiiiiiice!

Not a fan of the tucked ears unless it pisses off Ted Knight and friends
Arkmx
4/14/2014 12:30pm

He get's to play with his balls all day and nobody cares.....

4/14/2014 12:43pm
Not to mention the fans are quite a bit nicer. You seem to get chastized if you do any good at pro MX. Haters Woohoo
JW381
4/14/2014 1:16pm
bartoner wrote:
Socket946 wrote:
TripleFive wrote:
Golf is probably harder.
I agree that golf at a professional level is harder than motocross at a professional level. Not saying that MX is easy, but golf is such extreme precision and body control.
Grizz
4/14/2014 1:55pm
Arkmx wrote:

He get's to play with his balls all day and nobody cares.....

why do you

do this

?
davistld01
4/14/2014 2:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2014 2:14pm
Ricky chose golf for the girls.

ford832
4/14/2014 2:33pm
I heard on the tube it was $4000 for a 4 day pass to the event just to walk along outside the ropes.Maybe if MX ticket prices were adjusted the earnings of the sub top 10 riders would go up a bit.....Silly
4/14/2014 3:09pm
Socket946 wrote:
TripleFive wrote:
Golf is probably harder.
JW381 wrote:
I agree that golf at a professional level is harder than motocross at a professional level. Not saying that MX is easy, but golf is such...
I agree that golf at a professional level is harder than motocross at a professional level. Not saying that MX is easy, but golf is such extreme precision and body control.
So your saying a triple, quad (that's 4 separate jumps), on-off, on-off, single onto a berm in the corner rhythm section, for 20 laps isn't?
hillbilly
4/14/2014 3:19pm
You forgot about the wear and tear on the back from layin' the wood to young blondes,,
JW381
4/14/2014 3:59pm
TripleFive wrote:
Golf is probably harder.
JW381 wrote:
I agree that golf at a professional level is harder than motocross at a professional level. Not saying that MX is easy, but golf is such...
So your saying a triple, quad (that's 4 separate jumps), on-off, on-off, single onto a berm in the corner rhythm section, for 20 laps isn't?
Notice I said that in no way was I implying that MX/SX is easy, but to perform golf shots at the highest level requires a level of muscle precision that, in my eyes based on the vague term "harder", makes golf the more difficult sport. It's less physically demanding, but requires more mental/muscular skill to perform at the highest level.
4/14/2014 4:10pm
ford832 wrote:
I heard on the tube it was $4000 for a 4 day pass to the event just to walk along outside the ropes.Maybe if MX ticket...
I heard on the tube it was $4000 for a 4 day pass to the event just to walk along outside the ropes.Maybe if MX ticket prices were adjusted the earnings of the sub top 10 riders would go up a bit.....Silly
That's on the secondary market.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4434th
4/14/2014 4:15pm
He's quite diplomatic, too. As when he gracefully dodged the "How did you choose golf over motocross?" question what's-her-face asked him during the Houston SX. (He made a couple hunnert Gs that weekend, too).
JM485
4/14/2014 4:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2014 4:41pm
I've played golf and rode moto for a while, and I can honestly say golf is much more mentally challenging while moto is more physically challenging. Obviously you don't need to be incredible cardio shape to play golf, but you also don't need to be able to precisely judge the slope of a green or the angle something with as much accuracy for moto. It's all relative, and I think some of the mental tools you learn in golf are very beneficial for moto, as well as the strength you gain from moto can help with hitting a golf ball. If you can control your emotions and frustration on a golf course, you can put mistakes behind you when you ride, as well as put full focus on the moment you are in. Just my experience and observation, and believe me, I'm nowhere near a pro golfer or pro motocross racer!
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
4/14/2014 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2014 4:48pm
JW381 wrote:
JW381 wrote:
Notice I said that in no way was I implying that MX/SX is easy, but to perform golf shots at the highest level requires a level...
Notice I said that in no way was I implying that MX/SX is easy, but to perform golf shots at the highest level requires a level of muscle precision that, in my eyes based on the vague term "harder", makes golf the more difficult sport. It's less physically demanding, but requires more mental/muscular skill to perform at the highest level.
no way..are you a golfers agent? so putting or chipping takes more muscular/mental skill than hitting whoops in 4th gear? hitting rythms with ruts and landing in ruts at high speeds? while shifting, braking, racing ?!! less physically demanding is like saying the ocean is kinda salty, or OJ is a little guilty. miss a putt,hit it again. miss a triple? whole different ballgame. i respect pros at anything. golf takes a lot of time and dedication like any pro sport or profession. i have made multiple long putts,chipped in from fairways.hit 300 plus yard drives but i will never clean a rhythm section or the millville whoops @ 40mph. saying that, i hardly ever golf and im a decent b rider. thanks for posting but that post doesnt make the cutSilly yeah i made a golf joke.
450crf_732
4/14/2014 4:54pm
Sandberm wrote:
$342,000 pffft...I read on Vital that you can make $750,000 working only 2 months a year in the oil fields of Australia.Cool
That was for a 3 day golf tournament lol

Post a reply to: Why Ricky Fowler chose golf.

The Latest