Why I wear TLD...

TeamGreen
Edited Date/Time 2/12/2014 11:05pm
He...They...put SO Much BACK into the Sport. We take it for granted; but, at the end of the day, these guys are a "Private Team" that's spending a ton of money & resources to be a Cutting-Edge-Class-Leading-Team.

Sure, it's all part of their marketing strategy; but, it's still "very Troy" & his love for Moto shows in his Team.

Last-night, I grabbed these pics as I was reflecting on how much they remind me of the Ol'School Team Honda days when there were a bunch of Tahitian Red Hondas under the Big Red Tent...

Congrats Team TLD.

You ARE doing it Right!

|
Mxdnusa
2/9/2014 12:00pm
What is a private team?
slipdog
2/9/2014 12:03pm
Funny you post this, as I'm in need of some new duds and have been leaning towards TLD myself. I like the fact that they are invested in racing and not just sponsorship for advertising.
Underdog999
2/9/2014 12:04pm
What, exactly, do they put back into the sport besides Tahitian red Hondas? lol
Jan C
2/9/2014 12:04pm
Would the TLD team not pay for its self at this point?

Like the Redbull Formula 1 team - Cost a fortune to initially setup but a few years in and they turn a profit?

The Shop

MOTO120
2/9/2014 12:08pm
TeamGreen wrote:
He...They...put SO Much BACK into the Sport. We take it for granted; but, at the end of the day, these guys are a "Private Team" that's...
He...They...put SO Much BACK into the Sport. We take it for granted; but, at the end of the day, these guys are a "Private Team" that's spending a ton of money & resources to be a Cutting-Edge-Class-Leading-Team.

Sure, it's all part of their marketing strategy; but, it's still "very Troy" & his love for Moto shows in his Team.

Last-night, I grabbed these pics as I was reflecting on how much they remind me of the Ol'School Team Honda days when there were a bunch of Tahitian Red Hondas under the Big Red Tent...

Congrats Team TLD.

You ARE doing it Right!

100% agree

Couldn't help but notice.....looks like the TLD guys need them a couple Lay Over Stands Wink
jasonv43
2/9/2014 12:12pm
TeamGreen wrote:
He...They...put SO Much BACK into the Sport. We take it for granted; but, at the end of the day, these guys are a "Private Team" that's...

Congrats Team TLD.

You ARE doing it Right!

They even went as far as to paint the steps and doorway in the second picture to match the team colors.Woohoo

That's dedication.Wink
TeamGreen
2/9/2014 12:13pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Congrats Team TLD.

You ARE doing it Right!

MOTO120 wrote:
100% agree

Couldn't help but notice.....looks like the TLD guys need them a couple Lay Over Stands Wink
Yes, they could.

I noticed one in-use at Peick Racing and Max from Fly was giving the product a ton of love when I inquired about it. The only thing that threw me off was the name...it was sounding an awful lot like the team's main Sponsor...
2/9/2014 12:21pm
Mxdnusa wrote:
What is a private team?
Factory Team (in house work effort)
Satellite Team (private team with factory support/influence/parts)
Private Team (privately funded team)
Privateer (privately funded individual)

I was under the impression that TLD was a "satellite" these days. Not the official 250 team like GEICO/FC but I thought they got their bikes for free and Honda pays the bonuses for the riders in their contracts. I could easily be wrong tho.

Whatever the case, TG is right. A great team that does things the right way. And all the kids on the team are easy to root for. Their salaries are shit (bonus laden contracts I was told). These kids are racing their hearts out. No shenanigans. Just racing.
hvaughn88
2/9/2014 12:29pm
Mxdnusa wrote:
What is a private team?
Factory Team (in house work effort) Satellite Team (private team with factory support/influence/parts) Private Team (privately funded team) Privateer (privately funded individual) I was under the...
Factory Team (in house work effort)
Satellite Team (private team with factory support/influence/parts)
Private Team (privately funded team)
Privateer (privately funded individual)

I was under the impression that TLD was a "satellite" these days. Not the official 250 team like GEICO/FC but I thought they got their bikes for free and Honda pays the bonuses for the riders in their contracts. I could easily be wrong tho.

Whatever the case, TG is right. A great team that does things the right way. And all the kids on the team are easy to root for. Their salaries are shit (bonus laden contracts I was told). These kids are racing their hearts out. No shenanigans. Just racing.
So what is the going rate for a 250 contract these days? The sport keeps this kind of info under heavy lock and key so I don't even know a ballpark number.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
2/9/2014 12:43pm
Ugh, if they just would have treated me better. I still root for them though.
Katoomey
2/9/2014 12:47pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2014 12:54pm
I'm not trying to bag on the OP or TLD, but aren't their motivations juts like anyone else's in any business? to make money?

since when did marketing become such a noble contribution to anything?

I am big fan of Troy Lee the artist. I had some of his very first stickers way back in the day. He was clearly inspired by Kenny Howard, who I am aso a big fan of. I just don't think he does this as a philanthropist, which is fine, it just is what it is, not what it isn't- which is a captain obvious statement, I know.

yeah, I'm a cynic, but thats better than never knowing peoples real motivations.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
2/9/2014 12:50pm
Katoomey wrote:
I'm not trying to bag on the OP or TLD, but aren't their motivations juts like anyone else's in any business? to make money? since when...
I'm not trying to bag on the OP or TLD, but aren't their motivations juts like anyone else's in any business? to make money?

I am big fan of Troy Lee the artist. I had some of his very first stickers way back in the day. He was clearly inspired by Kenny Howard, who I am aso a big fan of. I just don't think he does this as a philanthropist, which is fine, it just is what it is, not what it isn't- which is a captain obvious statement, I know.

yeah, I'm a cynic, but thats better than never knowing peoples real motivations.
When the marketing ploy keeps racers racing. I wear fox and don't see fox starting any teams.....
jeffro503
2/9/2014 12:53pm
I agree Manny. I've been wearing TLD stuff since 04' and couldn't be happier. I got 8 free sets of pants and 16 jersey's along with gloves and some other real cool swag back in 04. Then I got all jacked up in a bad wreck in 05'....and took 6yrs off. When I came back into riding at the end of 2010....all my gear still fit and almost all of it was still new. I get asked every once in a while " Where did you get all that NEW old gear??" . Love the stuff , fits really good and still looks really good.

My AV pic.........
2/9/2014 1:01pm
Katoomey wrote:
I'm not trying to bag on the OP or TLD, but aren't their motivations juts like anyone else's in any business? to make money? since when...

I see what you are saying, but....

Those in the know like to give this team credit because not all teams do it the right way or are even in it for as "noble" reasons as marketing. Some of these teams are just vanity projects and are about as unprofessional as you could imagine. Lots of bullshit and certainly nowhere you'd want to send your impressionable teenage son right out of the amateur ranks.

TLD's team bucks that trend. Sure, they get extra credit for doing their jobs, but they do it well and that is saying a lot compared to a lot of situations IMO.
plowboy
2/9/2014 1:07pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I agree Manny. I've been wearing TLD stuff since 04' and couldn't be happier. I got 8 free sets of pants and 16 jersey's along with...
I agree Manny. I've been wearing TLD stuff since 04' and couldn't be happier. I got 8 free sets of pants and 16 jersey's along with gloves and some other real cool swag back in 04. Then I got all jacked up in a bad wreck in 05'....and took 6yrs off. When I came back into riding at the end of 2010....all my gear still fit and almost all of it was still new. I get asked every once in a while " Where did you get all that NEW old gear??" . Love the stuff , fits really good and still looks really good.

My AV pic.........
Show off...lol. nice agro style man.
jeffro503
2/9/2014 1:09pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I agree Manny. I've been wearing TLD stuff since 04' and couldn't be happier. I got 8 free sets of pants and 16 jersey's along with...

My AV pic.........
plowboy wrote:
Thanks! I like you AV better though!!
TeamGreen
2/9/2014 1:11pm
jeffro503 wrote:

My AV pic.........
Moto-Head Crushing it...

Very, Very Nice!
plowboy
2/9/2014 1:16pm
jeffro503 wrote:

My AV pic.........
plowboy wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
Thanks! I like you AV better though!!
My son picked that out of some shots I took at Freestone a few years back..."Haulin' Ass" he said.
2/9/2014 1:21pm
Unfortunate they are so many Rem bonster helmets standard corporate designs... Bring in some fun !

Real Troy Lee helmets (or OCD, best french company) were like a dream when I was a kid.

Remember Ward, Emig or Bradshaw helmets !
jeffro503
2/9/2014 1:51pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/02/09/44942/s1200_3c2b3aa63a3611e180c9123138016265_7.jpg[/img] 1 picture is better than 100 words

1 picture is better than 100 words
WOW!! That is awesome! Who's helmet was that? I was thinking maybe MC's ? Man that thing is beautiful!
plowboy
2/9/2014 1:55pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/02/09/44942/s1200_3c2b3aa63a3611e180c9123138016265_7.jpg[/img] 1 picture is better than 100 words

That's a work of art.
plowboy
2/9/2014 2:03pm

I got free helmet when I bought my first new bike. I spent a lot of time on my head so it wasn't long before it was scratched up. A rattle can later I had the nastiest, stickiest lid you ever saw. I was one dumbass kid.
newmann
2/9/2014 2:10pm
I've been all about TLD gear since 2001 but will have to be a Fox slut from here on out. They've done the sport well also.
2/9/2014 2:52pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Congrats Team TLD.

You ARE doing it Right!

counted 9 silencers on those TLD bikes...damn!!
nytsmaC
2/9/2014 3:20pm
I tried on some new TLD stuff yesterday, I like how it fits but their designs don't do anything for me. Fox and Shift are killing them in that department.
jemcee
2/9/2014 3:21pm
jeffro503 wrote:
WOW!! That is awesome! Who's helmet was that? I was thinking maybe MC's ? Man that thing is beautiful!
yeah MC'S and that's a real Benjamin in there not a picture haha

one of my mates over here was really good friends with Phil Johnson who started Jet Pilot (huge jet ski brand back in the day) anyway he went over to watch some races and was hangin out with McGrath cause he was into Jet Skiing, anyway they were at the Anaheim press day or something and they go to get lunch somewhere and the other cars filled up and MC looks at my mate and goes 'you wanna ride with me?' ah yeah righto haha so he gets in his Acura looks in the back seat and saw that helmet and thought 'this mofo gets paid' haha
kxkid715
2/9/2014 7:50pm
I have been working for the team for 5 years now and have this to say about Troys real motivation to keep this team on the road:

We had a rough go at one round in 09' and had a team meeting back at the shop on Monday, we all had a lot of growing to do at that point, and were a little down. Troy ended the meeting telling us all with the utmost confidence that he would shut the doors on this whole project if we were not having fun at the races. Plain and simple. He then expected us to go back and do exactly that the next weekend. So we did, and continue to do so. His real motivation is pure passion for having a good time in the sport he loves.

Thanks for the post and props!
Jarid332
Fantasy
1658th
2/9/2014 7:54pm
kxkid715 wrote:
I have been working for the team for 5 years now and have this to say about Troys real motivation to keep this team on the...
I have been working for the team for 5 years now and have this to say about Troys real motivation to keep this team on the road:

We had a rough go at one round in 09' and had a team meeting back at the shop on Monday, we all had a lot of growing to do at that point, and were a little down. Troy ended the meeting telling us all with the utmost confidence that he would shut the doors on this whole project if we were not having fun at the races. Plain and simple. He then expected us to go back and do exactly that the next weekend. So we did, and continue to do so. His real motivation is pure passion for having a good time in the sport he loves.

Thanks for the post and props!
Can you tell Cole I love him? Thanks!

Post a reply to: Why I wear TLD...

The Latest