Why Charlotte for a man made GP race?

CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
Flame away. I'm not sure if this has been talked about. Just curious why they didn't have the GP race at a different location for the Gp's in America? I was just curious as to why they didn't use the more natural terrain tracks we have here?
|
9/2/2016 10:26pm
CrGuy2T wrote:
Flame away. I'm not sure if this has been talked about. Just curious why they didn't have the GP race at a different location for the...
Flame away. I'm not sure if this has been talked about. Just curious why they didn't have the GP race at a different location for the Gp's in America? I was just curious as to why they didn't use the more natural terrain tracks we have here?
They do, Glen Helen.
Johnny Depp
9/2/2016 10:31pm
The facility is the Headquarters for Nascar. No outdoor motocross facility can compare to the amenities for the teams, spectators or press. You can build almost anything you can imagine with dirt and bulldozers. (well probably not Mt. St. Helens)

CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
9/2/2016 10:31pm
They do, Glen Helen.
Question wasn't about Glen Helen it was about Charlotte. Don't get me wrong I'm all for the more events we can have for the exposure of motocross. I'm trying to tread lightly here, but it just seems something else could have been a better fit. No I don't have a track, no I don't think I could have done a better job promoting. Just simply curious.

The Shop

KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
9/2/2016 10:34pm
Because the Charlotte Motorspeedway company wanted a motocross race and they paid whatever Youthstreams current rate is. So Money.

Most existing "real" tracks do not have the capability to pay that fee and/or do not think they will recoup that promotion fee.
9/2/2016 10:35pm
They do, Glen Helen.
CrGuy2T wrote:
Question wasn't about Glen Helen it was about Charlotte. Don't get me wrong I'm all for the more events we can have for the exposure of...
Question wasn't about Glen Helen it was about Charlotte. Don't get me wrong I'm all for the more events we can have for the exposure of motocross. I'm trying to tread lightly here, but it just seems something else could have been a better fit. No I don't have a track, no I don't think I could have done a better job promoting. Just simply curious.
I answered this:

''Just curious why they didn't have the GP race at a different location for the Gp's in America?''
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
9/2/2016 10:38pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2016 10:44pm
I answered this:

''Just curious why they didn't have the GP race at a different location for the Gp's in America?''
I do realize there are two gp's in America. Once again the question was not about Glen Helen. Trouble comprehending the question? I have also realized you don't really have an answer.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
9/2/2016 10:46pm
Because the Charlotte Motorspeedway company wanted a motocross race and they paid whatever Youthstreams current rate is. So Money. Most existing "real" tracks do not have...
Because the Charlotte Motorspeedway company wanted a motocross race and they paid whatever Youthstreams current rate is. So Money.

Most existing "real" tracks do not have the capability to pay that fee and/or do not think they will recoup that promotion fee.
Cool thanks. That actually has good logic.
9/2/2016 10:50pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2016 10:52pm
I answered this:

CrGuy2T wrote:
I do realize there are two gp's in America. Once again the question was not about Glen Helen. Trouble comprehending the question? I have also realized...
I do realize there are two gp's in America. Once again the question was not about Glen Helen. Trouble comprehending the question? I have also realized you don't really have an answer.
Ok, to answer your other question, Youthstream have a standing policy of holding some of the GPs at locations that have a permanent infrastructure and professional facilities unlike that of natural terrain tracks that makes it better for teams and fans. Clearly Charlotte is one of those that qualifies as does Assen.

http://www.mxgp.com/inside-mxgp/youthstream

Is that clear enough for you?

9/3/2016 1:06am
They do, Glen Helen.
CrGuy2T wrote:
Question wasn't about Glen Helen it was about Charlotte. Don't get me wrong I'm all for the more events we can have for the exposure of...
From the outside looking in, I'd have the same questions. Here's my analysis on Why Charlotte?

1), Charlotte really is (and wants to further establish itself as) a major Motorsports hub. 2), Charlotte Motor Speedway has a very rich and very savvy business man named Bruton Smith. Throughout most recent history, Bruton's gotten what Bruton wanted. (EX: 4 wide drag strip, VIP suites, etc) Bruton has however tried to get the X-Games to his Charlotte speedway facility twice now, but both didn't pan out. I have to believe the moment this offer came on the table to run the MXGP on the 4 wide drag strip, Bruton was all in! Then came this pesky logistics.... AND,here we are!
Robgvx
9/3/2016 4:45am
I think you should delete the second and third words from your question.
olds cool
9/3/2016 6:34am
Because the Charlotte Motorspeedway company wanted a motocross race and they paid whatever Youthstreams current rate is. So Money. Most existing "real" tracks do not have...

This. Bruton Smith is a Billionaire...
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
9/3/2016 7:15am
It has it's pros and cons from what I've read. The good thing is there I someone willing to pump more money into motocross. I didn't realize the money and effort that went into getting a GP race facilitated. So, it's a good thing. I just can't see all Mx facilities being able to afford it and getting their money back. If it takes man made Mx tracks on flat ground to keep this stuff going more power for it.
DonM
9/3/2016 7:21am
CrGuy2T wrote:
It has it's pros and cons from what I've read. The good thing is there I someone willing to pump more money into motocross. I didn't...
It has it's pros and cons from what I've read. The good thing is there I someone willing to pump more money into motocross. I didn't realize the money and effort that went into getting a GP race facilitated. So, it's a good thing. I just can't see all Mx facilities being able to afford it and getting their money back. If it takes man made Mx tracks on flat ground to keep this stuff going more power for it.
The crowd will be the final vote as to whether it is a good idea...I've heard good ticket sales and there will probably be a good walk up crowd also.
lumpy790
9/3/2016 8:01am
I answered this:

CrGuy2T wrote:
I do realize there are two gp's in America. Once again the question was not about Glen Helen. Trouble comprehending the question? I have also realized...
Ok, to answer your other question, Youthstream have a standing policy of holding some of the GPs at locations that have a permanent infrastructure and professional...
Ok, to answer your other question, Youthstream have a standing policy of holding some of the GPs at locations that have a permanent infrastructure and professional facilities unlike that of natural terrain tracks that makes it better for teams and fans. Clearly Charlotte is one of those that qualifies as does Assen.

http://www.mxgp.com/inside-mxgp/youthstream

Is that clear enough for you?

The track here is amazing and like Edge said it has the infrastructure in place. Last weeks GP was built much like this and was very exciting.

MXSports did the same type of a track for the Nationals at a road race track.
Spat24
Fantasy
856th
9/3/2016 4:52pm
DonM wrote:
The crowd will be the final vote as to whether it is a good idea...I've heard good ticket sales and there will probably be a good...
The crowd will be the final vote as to whether it is a good idea...I've heard good ticket sales and there will probably be a good walk up crowd also.
The stands dont look to full but not sure if it is the track/location or most likely from the weather issues they had.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/3/2016 5:46pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2016 5:55pm
Also, check out SMI (https://www.speedwaymotorsports.com).

It could be an instant source of venues for MXGP events here that aren't already locked up by Feld, in use by other team sports, or tied to MX Sports. SMI's tracks include Charlotte, Texas, Atlanta, Bristol, Kentucky, Vegas, New Hampshire, North Wilkesboro, and Sonoma...
Johnny Depp
9/3/2016 8:21pm
It takes money to run big events on a grand scale. The promoters, manufacturers and sanctioning rule making bodies that have had a firm grip on this sport are likely to see some competition.

Great post GuyB, and very revealing that you know the score. We just happen to have a very fine F1 track right here in Austin Tx! Even more competition! There are lots on auto racing venues that might make a very nice series..
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
9/3/2016 8:47pm
Watching on tv it actually turned out really good and made for some great racing. Times are changing and it appears even the GP's will have to move in whichever direction it needs to keep the series going.
olds cool
9/3/2016 10:14pm
billyslap wrote:
So how was the turnout?
I sat in the top corner by the oval's turn 4. Not sure what the capacity of those stands is but at it's peak during the 1st 250 moto, I'd guess they were around 1/2 full or a little better. There were lot's of empty seats on the turn 1 side. Very dense in the middle. The pits were packed throughout the day, lots of people walking all around the track. Honestly, the crowd was bigger than I expected. Pleasantly surprised.
d5hystat
9/4/2016 5:10am
According to Wikipedia, just under 14k seating capacity...
lumpy790
9/4/2016 5:32am
I thought I read somewhere the seating capacity was 20k and stands were about 3/4 full.

Walked down and shot this about half way through the 2nd 450 Moto. Lights screwed the shot up.

Headed back to ride the track in a few minutes.

The Rock
9/4/2016 5:41am
From the outside looking in, I'd have the same questions. Here's my analysis on [b][i]Why Charlotte?[/i][/b] 1), Charlotte really is (and wants to further establish itself...
From the outside looking in, I'd have the same questions. Here's my analysis on Why Charlotte?

1), Charlotte really is (and wants to further establish itself as) a major Motorsports hub. 2), Charlotte Motor Speedway has a very rich and very savvy business man named Bruton Smith. Throughout most recent history, Bruton's gotten what Bruton wanted. (EX: 4 wide drag strip, VIP suites, etc) Bruton has however tried to get the X-Games to his Charlotte speedway facility twice now, but both didn't pan out. I have to believe the moment this offer came on the table to run the MXGP on the 4 wide drag strip, Bruton was all in! Then came this pesky logistics.... AND,here we are!
What a good thing they didn't have the event on the drag strip. I am more of a fan of traditional MX tracks but have to admit the track Justin Barclay built was pretty cool.

The start sweeper and the long straight leading into the wave section were my two favorite parts of the track.
RandyS
9/4/2016 8:25am
GuyB wrote:
Also, check out SMI (https://www.speedwaymotorsports.com). It could be an instant source of venues for MXGP events here that aren't already locked up by Feld, in use...

It could be an instant source of venues for MXGP events here that aren't already locked up by Feld, in use by other team sports, or tied to MX Sports. SMI's tracks include Charlotte, Texas, Atlanta, Bristol, Kentucky, Vegas, New Hampshire, North Wilkesboro, and Sonoma...
Sonoma, hey they could probably make a track in the hills there. I've always thought "Hey, someone should make a motocross track there".Wink
Skidaddle
9/4/2016 8:36am
GuyB wrote:
Also, check out SMI (https://www.speedwaymotorsports.com). It could be an instant source of venues for MXGP events here that aren't already locked up by Feld, in use...

RandyS wrote:
Sonoma, hey they could probably make a track in the hills there. I've always thought "Hey, someone should make a motocross track there".Wink
There already is. Might be our best outdoor track ever.

potatoflake
9/4/2016 8:56am
GuyB wrote:

RandyS wrote:
Skidaddle wrote:
There already is. Might be our best outdoor track ever. [img]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j278/toddhuffman/Sears_Point_1977.jpg[/img]

GPS coordinates please
Bearuno
9/4/2016 9:19am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2016 9:22am
Skidaddle wrote:
There already is. Might be our best outdoor track ever. [img]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j278/toddhuffman/Sears_Point_1977.jpg[/img]

The track itself still exists?

Or is it that the area hasn't been built out?

Just the thought that at least the area may still exist makes me smile.

What I'd give to see modern day bikes and riders, at the highest level, tackle such rough, off camber sections. The bikes / riders would get a genuine workout on that stuff.

It's Sears Point? - am I wrong in my recollection it was on Military land? Perhaps that's why it's survived - still a Military area, or am I decades behind, and it's part of the raceway / complex that I 'think' is there, that's now under a different name: Sonoma Raceway = Sears Point?

Post a reply to: Why Charlotte for a man made GP race?

The Latest