Who would have thought a broken chain adjuster bolt could mess up so much stuff three corners later

Bressler11
10/6/2014 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2014 8:21am

I was racing yesterday at Miles mountain mx, If any of you have been there you know the track is premiere and perfect in every aspect. For those of you who haven't it has a ton of elevation change and loamy topsoil about two feet deep the whole way around the track. So you may be asking what caused this pricey parts list... I was hitting this jump here...
Its about 30 feet up and about 85 feet out from the base of the take off I'm 4th tapped clearing it. In my final moto of the day I overshot it by a mile and (I'm assuming this is when I broke the chain adjuster bolt) three corners later I'm come to a halted stop also hearing a bazaar noise. I look down and find this mess as seen above. The case saver did its job though. Then on top of all of this the local track vendor sold me the wrong front sprocket as shown in the one picture thank you all I needed to vent.
|
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
10/6/2014 3:08pm
That happened to me a few years ago and my rear sprocket had the teeth all grind down. Sucks!
Bressler11
10/6/2014 3:09pm
Surprisingly the rear sprocket isn't bad at all
peelout
10/6/2014 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2014 3:32pm
nasty.

i had a chain adjuster bolt break and the wheel shift on the face of a big jump. i landed face first, should have broke my neck. broke some bones in my face but it should have been the end of my life or at the very least my walking..

as shitty as your issues are, i would take damage to your bike over not knowing what day it is for a month.

ps... how in the HELL did you install that sprocket and not notice it was a totally different notch pattern? glad you're safe geeze could have been bad
Bressler11
10/6/2014 4:01pm
I didn't install it the guy at the track yesterday sold me the wrong one today after school I was planning to put it on but it doesn't fit

The Shop

Paw Paw 271
10/6/2014 4:09pm
That rear sprocket look bad to me in the photo. It looks worn out. I can also see where there was a lot of wear on the front sprocket before it broke as well.

Time for all new chain and sprockets plus a chain slider.

Paw Paw
mmitoptech
10/6/2014 4:13pm
Bressler11 wrote:
I hope you're joking. Did the axle move forward and de-rail the chain? or did the chain break?
peelout
10/6/2014 4:16pm
Bressler11 wrote:
I didn't install it the guy at the track yesterday sold me the wrong one today after school I was planning to put it on but...
I didn't install it the guy at the track yesterday sold me the wrong one today after school I was planning to put it on but it doesn't fit
oh i see, i was reading it wrong. either way glad it didn't end up worse
Bressler11
10/6/2014 4:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2014 4:30pm
Bressler11 wrote:
mmitoptech wrote:
I hope you're joking. Did the axle move forward and de-rail the chain? or did the chain break?
The axle slid forward the chain did not derail the whole rear wheel locked up including the chain look at the chain guide in the picture above 32 hrs on the rear sprocket not bad in my opinion for that many hours

Bressler11
10/6/2014 4:25pm
Bressler11 wrote:
I didn't install it the guy at the track yesterday sold me the wrong one today after school I was planning to put it on but...
it has a different tooth pattern on the counter shaft
Bressler11
10/6/2014 4:30pm
That rear sprocket look bad to me in the photo. It looks worn out. I can also see where there was a lot of wear on...
That rear sprocket look bad to me in the photo. It looks worn out. I can also see where there was a lot of wear on the front sprocket before it broke as well.

Time for all new chain and sprockets plus a chain slider.

Paw Paw
I bought all new chain and sprockets at the track before I left. My dad works in pittsburgh so he picked up a TM chain slider & replacement block for the guide as well and an adjuster bolt from cernics on his way home.
mxpappy711
10/6/2014 6:49pm
Spray some kind of quality penetrating oil on that thing awhile. Over and Over.
McDuff
10/6/2014 7:03pm
I wonder if you could replace the bolts with harder grade 8 bolts. That's a big leap btw.
Tim507
10/6/2014 7:24pm
I suspect that the real issue here is an overall maintenance issue....just sayin.......
10/7/2014 12:18am
Am i the only one that never experienced that? How is that even possible when everything is set up correctly?
FIREfish148
10/7/2014 12:28am
Bressler11 wrote:
better get a refund on that shit son!
Bressler11
10/7/2014 5:06am
mxpappy711 wrote:
I do I use dry chain molly
Bressler11
10/7/2014 5:07am
Bressler11 wrote:
The shitty part about was it wasn't like a big vendor it was a guy out of 16 foot trailer from upstate newyork... a good 4 hours away
O___o
10/7/2014 5:09am
mxpappy711 wrote:
Bressler11 wrote:
No. Chain lube is not penetrating oil.

PB Blaster.

You're lucky you still have a right side engine case.
Cygnus
10/7/2014 5:10am
Tim507 wrote:
I suspect that the real issue here is an overall maintenance issue....just sayin.......
I suspect Tim is right. That looks like neglect to me.
Bressler11
10/7/2014 5:11am
mxpappy711 wrote:
Bressler11 wrote:
O___o wrote:
No. Chain lube is not penetrating oil.

PB Blaster.

You're lucky you still have a right side engine case.
I'm confused I'm replacing everything what Requires Pb blaster?
Bressler11
10/7/2014 5:14am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2014 5:15am
Tim507 wrote:
Cygnus wrote:
I don't neglect my stuff trust me if you saw that tower jump you would understand... shit happens... instead of criticizing me laugh at the parts list I just wrote up
IWreckALot
10/7/2014 5:24am
Bressler11 wrote:
Bressler11 wrote:
The shitty part about was it wasn't like a big vendor it was a guy out of 16 foot trailer from upstate newyork... a good 4...
The shitty part about was it wasn't like a big vendor it was a guy out of 16 foot trailer from upstate newyork... a good 4 hours away
Get a hammer and some WD-40. I'll tell you how to make that sprocket work.

That sucks man. I had a chain snap on me and lock the rear wheel up in mid air once. I'm still not sure why I didn't royally eat shit that day. It's one of the many things that can happen no matter how in control of your bike you are.
Bressler11
10/7/2014 5:30am
Bressler11 wrote:
The shitty part about was it wasn't like a big vendor it was a guy out of 16 foot trailer from upstate newyork... a good 4...
IWreckALot wrote:
Get a hammer and some WD-40. I'll tell you how to make that sprocket work. That sucks man. I had a chain snap on me and...

That sucks man. I had a chain snap on me and lock the rear wheel up in mid air once. I'm still not sure why I didn't royally eat shit that day. It's one of the many things that can happen no matter how in control of your bike you are.
Im just lucky it happened when it did, damn...i'm all out of WD-40 ill have to stop at Lowes on the way home, One more question Ballpene Or sledge?
Cygnus
10/7/2014 5:36am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2014 5:36am
Tim507 wrote:
Cygnus wrote:
Bressler11 wrote:
I don't neglect my stuff trust me if you saw that tower jump you would understand... shit happens... instead of criticizing me laugh at the parts...
I don't neglect my stuff trust me if you saw that tower jump you would understand... shit happens... instead of criticizing me laugh at the parts list I just wrote up
Glad you dirt get hurt. I guess looking at where you live some corrosion is gonna happen. We don't have that out west. But if you don't think that rear sprocket looks bad you need to look closer.
Bressler11
10/7/2014 5:40am
Cygnus wrote:
Bressler11 wrote:
I don't neglect my stuff trust me if you saw that tower jump you would understand... shit happens... instead of criticizing me laugh at the parts...
Cygnus wrote:
Glad you dirt get hurt. I guess looking at where you live some corrosion is gonna happen. We don't have that out west. But if you...
Glad you dirt get hurt. I guess looking at where you live some corrosion is gonna happen. We don't have that out west. But if you don't think that rear sprocket looks bad you need to look closer.
Its not corrosion, its the damn dry chain molly that stuff stains metal like you won't believe. I didn't pressure wash the bike before I started tearing stuff apart either. Yeah the rear sprocket needs replaced and I already have the new one on the wheel but I am satisfied with 32 Hours out of it and I can still be used in a pinch.
hillbilly
10/7/2014 5:45am
The chain guide or slider tore loose when the suspension bottomed and the chain drags on the bottom of the swingarm pivot,a piece of it went around the rear sprocket taking all the slack from the chain which snapped the bolt. Then the axel slide putting to much slack in the chain which let the front sprocket loose contact with the chain and snapped the teeth off.

If you keep a new chain on the sprockets last forever,the wear on that rear is from a chain worn and not matching the teeth .
bama205
10/7/2014 6:12am
sprockets good until you're missing 2+ teeth :-D
holeshot100
10/7/2014 6:33am
Both sprockets completely worn out for racing motocross, so that means the chain too. So lucky you didn't break a case.
IWreckALot
10/7/2014 7:47am
Bressler11 wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
Get a hammer and some WD-40. I'll tell you how to make that sprocket work. That sucks man. I had a chain snap on me and...

Bressler11 wrote:
Im just lucky it happened when it did, damn...i'm all out of WD-40 ill have to stop at Lowes on the way home, One more question...
Im just lucky it happened when it did, damn...i'm all out of WD-40 ill have to stop at Lowes on the way home, One more question Ballpene Or sledge?
Sledge hammer.
CamP
10/7/2014 7:48am
I always tell newbies "the machine can kill you if it breaks at the wrong time".

A local racer was killed a few years ago when his front sprocket broke all the teeth off like that and the chain locked up the rear wheel on the biggest jump on the track.

Post a reply to: Who would have thought a broken chain adjuster bolt could mess up so much stuff three corners later

The Latest