Who knew what and when?

Overdrive
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 9:53am
I haven't heard the story about what went on in the Suzuki pits, obviously Dungey won his first moto and rode off the track. When did they find out his bike would not start? What all did they change out on his bike and how quickly? Did they figure out the bike was not working shortly after the first moto or was it when they went to start it for the second moto? How long did Dungey know they were having problems with it?

I am sure the mechanics did one hell of a job to get that bike back out there, I am just wonder how quickly it was all done. I thought I heard they swapped out the engine, then I also heard it was electrical?

Seems like a cool back story to his incredible second moto ride.
|
ridge
8/28/2011 11:27am
I thought I heard on the broadcast that the motor started going south at the end of the first moto.
Overdrive
8/28/2011 11:30am
Were the first few kicks after his podium speech or when they were heading to staging for the second moto. No conspiracy theories here. The mechanics gave it their all just like Dungey did, they don't like to lose either.
Overdrive
8/28/2011 11:32am
ridge wrote:
I thought I heard on the broadcast that the motor started going south at the end of the first moto.
So do you think Dungey backed it off the last few laps to save the engine?
Grieby54
8/28/2011 11:33am
From my understanding (which may very well be wrong), they replaced motors between motos. The bike fired up just fine and was running but then died. That's when the frantic fixing began.

The Shop

8/28/2011 11:36am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2011 11:36am
Ask 500guy, apparently he has studied the line-item budget of factory Suzuki and figured out that the problem was directly related to the funding. They must've done a cost-benefit analysis between motos and decided the championship just isn't worth it.

The reason Dungey ran out of gas earlier this season? Money.

The reason his chain derailed in SX? Money.
8/28/2011 11:37am
Grieby54 wrote:
From my understanding (which may very well be wrong), they replaced motors between motos. The bike fired up just fine and was running but then died...
From my understanding (which may very well be wrong), they replaced motors between motos. The bike fired up just fine and was running but then died. That's when the frantic fixing began.
The bike fired up, but then ran out of money and died.
Overdrive
I just picked this up from an article on RacerX:

"Dungey came down to the line with the first gate pick, but his bike died, and the team had to push it back to the pits for changes. They swapped out a motor, and still couldn't get it started, and Dungey then had his gate yanked from him. Then, the gate dropped, and Dungey was left standing there. "

Thats an incredible effort by the mechanics, Rivals Dungeys riding effort. Hats off to the Suzuki mechanics, they couldn't help the mechanical but they did an incredible job switching things out, that has to be some kind of record to swap things out that quickly.
ridge
ridge wrote:
Overdrive wrote:
Oh! I didn't mean that I heard the motor going away...I heard someone say the reason the motor was swapped is because it started acting up at the end of moto 1.
friday10
8/28/2011 11:41am
I hope someone has a video of the Suzuki pit during that action! Pro's in action!
Overdrive
ridge wrote:
Overdrive wrote:
ridge wrote:
Oh! I didn't mean that I heard the motor going away...I heard someone say the reason the motor was swapped is because it started acting up...
Oh! I didn't mean that I heard the motor going away...I heard someone say the reason the motor was swapped is because it started acting up at the end of moto 1.
It sounds like from the article that they only swapped out the motor after it died on the way to the line. Then it turned out not to be a motor problem. So if it wasn't a motor problem I wonder what it was. Either way this was all done at WARP speed to get him out there.
kongols
From what I understood was that they were ready to go to moto 2 and engine went dead and that`s when they changed engines and missed the start.
ridge
8/28/2011 11:50am
Overdrive wrote:
ridge wrote:
Oh! I didn't mean that I heard the motor going away...I heard someone say the reason the motor was swapped is because it started acting up...
Overdrive wrote:
It sounds like from the article that they only swapped out the motor after it died on the way to the line. Then it turned out...
It sounds like from the article that they only swapped out the motor after it died on the way to the line. Then it turned out not to be a motor problem. So if it wasn't a motor problem I wonder what it was. Either way this was all done at WARP speed to get him out there.
That's crazy!

I'd panic if I had to change my spark plug on the way to the starting line.

I swore I heard Erin say RD's motor started going bad in the first moto. Maybe she had some bad info.
Overdrive
8/28/2011 11:52am
That would have to be a mechanics worst nightmare to be riding to the line and have the bike just totally die. Especially when your a mechanic for a contender like Dungey, oh the pressure would have had to of been so high.

This has been a great season of outdoor mx, so many side stories through the year.
kongols
8/28/2011 11:56am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2011 11:57am
ridge wrote:
That's crazy! I'd panic if I had to change my spark plug on the way to the starting line. I swore I heard Erin say RD's...
That's crazy!

I swore I heard Erin say RD's motor started going bad in the first moto. Maybe she had some bad info.
I just listened once again what she said and she did not mention moto 1. Emig said that it was running at one point and then went dead.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
8/28/2011 12:00pm
Someone told me they swapped the engine after the first moto, then the issue arose and they swapped it again after the issue on the line. Now, there was a lot going on at the track at the time, so someone else would have to confirm it. It was pretty incredible; Dungey was down on the line working his gate pick waiting on the bike.
Outsider
8/28/2011 12:10pm
TripleFive wrote:
lol
Overdrive
8/28/2011 12:14pm
Someone told me they swapped the engine after the first moto, then the issue arose and they swapped it again after the issue on the line...
Someone told me they swapped the engine after the first moto, then the issue arose and they swapped it again after the issue on the line. Now, there was a lot going on at the track at the time, so someone else would have to confirm it. It was pretty incredible; Dungey was down on the line working his gate pick waiting on the bike.
So obviously they don't have to run the same engine each moto, does AMA tech inspection look at both engines then after the race. Or does AMA tech not look at the engines after the races.
8/28/2011 12:58pm
Overdrive wrote:
So obviously they don't have to run the same engine each moto, does AMA tech inspection look at both engines then after the race. Or does...
So obviously they don't have to run the same engine each moto, does AMA tech inspection look at both engines then after the race. Or does AMA tech not look at the engines after the races.
From what I've heard they don't do any investigation into the bikes regularly unless there has been a protest. From what I gather there hasn't been a protest in a LONG time. This could all be B.S. though so don't quote me.

Again, I suspect that cheating is pretty rampant, especially among the privateers because tear-downs are so infrequent.
8/28/2011 2:15pm
They switched out an engine between the time he originally went to the line and when he took to the track? That can't be possible.
RandyS
8/28/2011 2:19pm
Overdrive wrote:
So obviously they don't have to run the same engine each moto, does AMA tech inspection look at both engines then after the race. Or does...
TripleFive wrote:
From what I've heard they don't do any investigation into the bikes regularly unless there has been a protest. From what I gather there hasn't been...
From what I've heard they don't do any investigation into the bikes regularly unless there has been a protest. From what I gather there hasn't been a protest in a LONG time. This could all be B.S. though so don't quote me.

Again, I suspect that cheating is pretty rampant, especially among the privateers because tear-downs are so infrequent.
Don't ask, don't tell.
8/28/2011 2:23pm
The technology of today has quickly surpassed the capacity of the sanctioning bodies to adequately insure fairness.

This is true for both body and machine.
ns503
8/28/2011 2:30pm
ridge wrote:
Overdrive wrote:
It sounds like from the article that they only swapped out the motor after it died on the way to the line. Then it turned out...
ridge wrote:
That's crazy! I'd panic if I had to change my spark plug on the way to the starting line. I swore I heard Erin say RD's...
That's crazy!

One of the reasons I enjoy being in the pits at the races almost as much as watching the races themselves. The behind the scenes team efforts are sometimes as action packed as what goes on on the track.
Switch
8/28/2011 2:35pm
TripleFive wrote:
Best 1-liner I've seen on here in a while
friday10
8/28/2011 3:00pm
Nice find ! Talk about stressful Whew. Props to all those guys.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
8/28/2011 3:00pm
That"s pretty cool video. I don"t think the message got to Metcalfe in time, but I wondered if they had thought of it, and they did.

GuyB's got a story to tell about it as well.

Post a reply to: Who knew what and when?

The Latest