Who is the most influential MX rider in motocross history?

tbanks
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 11:51am
Since we are now in the offseason and can look back over things I would like to hear ya'lls take on who radically changed the sport of MX.

I am fairly new to the sport (I've been following/racing since 2004), but IMO the most influential icons and riders of our sport have been:

Jeremy McGrath-basically put SX into the American Spotlight.

Travis Pastrana-his goal of pleasing fans is unprecedented.

Ricky Carmichael- He IS the most successful and dominant rider ever.

James Stewart- radically changed how you ride a dirt bike.

These are more of the recent icons of the sport, but thinking back I know Everts, Decoster, Hannah, Henry, Bailey and others were essential to influencing the sport to where it is today.

So which one rider was the most influential in MX history?
|
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
9/30/2011 11:25am
I think world wide... Pastrana is the biggest name out of all of those guys.
stangkag
9/30/2011 11:35am
J-Law haha just kidding, I had to do it tho
MXMattii
9/30/2011 11:37am
Roger De Coster ... He is one of the biggest names in the sport on both sides of the pond!
kwhite199
9/30/2011 11:41am
MXMattii wrote:
Roger De Coster ... He is one of the biggest names in the sport on both sides of the pond!
x2

I don't think American motocross would be where it is today without 'the man'. He made a huge difference to motocross in those early days and continues to place his stamp on the scene today.

The Shop

stangkag
9/30/2011 11:45am
MXMattii wrote:
kwhite199 wrote:
x2 I don't think American motocross would be where it is today without 'the man'. He made a huge difference to motocross in those early days...
x2

I don't think American motocross would be where it is today without 'the man'. He made a huge difference to motocross in those early days and continues to place his stamp on the scene today.
Indeed
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
9/30/2011 11:46am
i think De Coster deserves a lot of credit, Mcgrath did bring it to the main stream,

in the USA Edison Dye for introducing Motocross, or Mike Goodwin for inventing Supercross deserve a mention as well
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/30/2011 11:47am
scott_nz wrote:
i think De Coster deserves a lot of credit, Mcgrath did bring it to the main stream, in the USA Edison Dye for introducing Motocross, or...
i think De Coster deserves a lot of credit, Mcgrath did bring it to the main stream,

in the USA Edison Dye for introducing Motocross, or Mike Goodwin for inventing Supercross deserve a mention as well
Scott, the first two you mentioned were probably the first ones that came to mind for me.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
9/30/2011 11:52am Edited Date/Time 9/30/2011 11:54am
MXMattii wrote:
He did have a BMX bike model here in the states in the early 80's,I think.
I think it was quite popular with a lot of kids.
The Decoster model had an oval on the frame rather then the regular Mongoose circle..if I remember right.

newmann
9/30/2011 12:04pm
DeCoster. There have been other greats, but only one DeCoster.

Carmichael took motocross to a new level. His record will stand for decades.

McGrath took Supercross to a new level. His record will stand for decades.
Sondy132001
9/30/2011 12:14pm
Well Goodwin didn't race, so that doesn't count...influential world wide, MC & Pastrana have drawn the most attention to MX, nothing against RogerD but you could ask people in the mall they'd have no clue on RD.

S
mxb2
9/30/2011 12:19pm
RogerD,MC,Ricky!
motosmith
9/30/2011 12:25pm
Ask someone who knows nothing about moto to name a rider and they will say " Pastrami "
DANIELINS
9/30/2011 12:48pm
Decoster is the only one who can fill those shoes...
9/30/2011 1:00pm
Influential is a lot different than popular, and I don't think pastrana influenced MX much. He did change freestyle tho.

For me, I think Stewart and Mcgrath made the biggest impact on the actual sport (how the bike is rode, soaking up jumps, etc), RC also charging the corners.

I think Reed's moves this year could prove to be influential in the ways teams go in the future.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
9/30/2011 1:07pm
MXMattii wrote:
kwhite199 wrote:
x2 I don't think American motocross would be where it is today without 'the man'. He made a huge difference to motocross in those early days...
x2

Absolutely. Hallman is a distant second.

RD fully invested in the Trans AMA races throughout his career, including long after when most of the other top GP riders stopped coming. It's impossible to overstate how significant his devotion to developing motocross in the US was to the growth of the sport in those beginning years, and he built on that commitment in his management career after the day he stopped riding. Not every years was a success, but Honda took even another step when he came on, and he eventually got that done at Suzuki when he rejoined them. And throughout that he has influenced and motivated multiple young American riders to reach for a level of performance and professionalism they might not otherwise have achieved.

No one else comes close.
rg4
9/30/2011 1:10pm
Perhaps a way to get an answer to your question is to ask, who's the most influential person in golf? The most influential person in golf may not be the current champion right now but he transformed the sport. He's responsible for elevating ratings, ticket sales, revenue from TV contracts and event purses.
BobbyM
9/30/2011 1:12pm
tbanks wrote:
Since we are now in the offseason and can look back over things I would like to hear ya'lls take on who radically changed the sport...
Since we are now in the offseason and can look back over things I would like to hear ya'lls take on who radically changed the sport of MX.

I am fairly new to the sport (I've been following/racing since 2004), but IMO the most influential icons and riders of our sport have been:

Jeremy McGrath-basically put SX into the American Spotlight.

Travis Pastrana-his goal of pleasing fans is unprecedented.

Ricky Carmichael- He IS the most successful and dominant rider ever.

James Stewart- radically changed how you ride a dirt bike.

These are more of the recent icons of the sport, but thinking back I know Everts, Decoster, Hannah, Henry, Bailey and others were essential to influencing the sport to where it is today.

So which one rider was the most influential in MX history?
the man...who else?
Neutra
9/30/2011 1:27pm
Absolutely. Hallman is a distant second. RD fully invested in the Trans AMA races throughout his career, including long after when most of the other top...

RD fully invested in the Trans AMA races throughout his career, including long after when most of the other top GP riders stopped coming. It's impossible to overstate how significant his devotion to developing motocross in the US was to the growth of the sport in those beginning years, and he built on that commitment in his management career after the day he stopped riding. Not every years was a success, but Honda took even another step when he came on, and he eventually got that done at Suzuki when he rejoined them. And throughout that he has influenced and motivated multiple young American riders to reach for a level of performance and professionalism they might not otherwise have achieved.

No one else comes close.
Well said!
olds cool
9/30/2011 1:35pm
MXMattii wrote:
kwhite199 wrote:
x2

Absolutely. Hallman is a distant second. RD fully invested in the Trans AMA races throughout his career, including long after when most of the other top...

No one else comes close.
True...no one else comes close. The Man paved the road and made it possible for those who came after him. When I was a kid I had 3 sports heroes that I looked up to : Fran Tarkenton, Hank Aaron, and Roger DeCoster.
prillernut
9/30/2011 1:42pm
not that he needs another vote, but yeah, The Man.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
9/30/2011 1:43pm
For me its hard to pick just one.

Roger D
Marty Smith
RJ
MC
RC
Pastrana
Stewart
bradmx421
9/30/2011 1:49pm
Rick Melon

Bad Billy Robinson

its a hard choice, you have Rick for his insane natural talent and insane bike building skills

the smoothness of bad billy, plus without bad billy would any of us have worn neon?
Dropbear
9/30/2011 2:44pm
From an Australian perspctive, to me it would be RD.

Honourable mention to Gaston Rahier. His couple of visits to Australia with the works Suzuki's in the mid-70's got a heap of media and made people in OZ realise that this is a real sport.
stillwelding
9/30/2011 4:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2011 6:56pm
MXMattii wrote:
kwhite199 wrote:
x2

No one else comes close.
That's it Roger and no other even comes close. He paved the way for all the other names mentioned.
Hut
9/30/2011 5:30pm
The Man or The GOAT
9/30/2011 5:42pm
What about a guy like Soichiro Honda or his successors? I don't know if he raced MX but one would think he must have been an "MX rider" at one time or another.

Post a reply to: Who is the most influential MX rider in motocross history?

The Latest