Who is Making Money In Supercross/Motocross

Dr. Know
10/7/2014 8:37pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2014 7:46pm
Someone said something about Monster having a Tacky audience that always says Bro every 4 words.

It doesn't matter if someone is interpreted as being tacky, or if someone thinks it doesn't sound right, doesn't look right doesn't, doesn't, doesn't or doesn't whatever, or anything silly like that it just doesn't matter these days. It's about making money. What ever pathway creates profit is the direction any company wants to go.

It's pretty difficult finding money to rent these stadiums, pay the insurance, pay the riders and manufactures to participate and anyone else you need at an event to make it work. What makes it difficult is the audience.

Look at Nascar. It seems to be profitable. The problem is everyone either has a car or will drive a car. Everyone will not eventually ride a motorcycle. So there's a relatability factor. Everyone can see themselves driving a car, but everyone can not see themselves riding a motorcycle and therefore they are not interested in riding nor the sport. Some don't get it. Remember with what we do (ride) we are in a bubble.

Another thing is everyone that drives a car will eventually see a motorcycle accident and think wow that is dangerous. They will not think that way about a car accident. Everyone is not like us, and there are a lot that are not like us. They wish they could be like us, but they are not like us.

Riding cost money and everyone is not going to buy a bike, buy real riding gear, buy a way to get a bike to a track, trail... or anywhere to ride for a kid, and not many people hop up as adults and say I want to start riding motocross as an adult without having done it as a kid. Some will, don't get me wrong, but not enough to fill a stadium. So now we have the audience. People that can relate... kids... and us that will always be kids. That's where the money comes from. Selling products. Monster has a niche.. Energy drinks... They have a broad audience... across multiple sports..

Another thing is, when they cut out the riding places, they charge 10k for bikes and people don't have jobs like they use too. It makes it tough to put these shows on with the cost of fuel, taxes, insurance... all the negative things.

So, if it's tacky and they say bro... who cares.. Our sport is dying, and there are a few out there that have the balls to invest in our sport and we should embrace anyone regardless if they say bro, if they are young, old, black, white, Latino, Asian, handicapped, fat, ugly, obnoxious with a helmet off. Who cares.... the more people that ride and come to see others ride the better off we are.

I would love to see the STEWARTs put a team together. They would bring their audience to the sport, or if anyone else started a team. They would bring their audience to the support and all of us should support them or others alike. If not. we will begin to see our sport disappear. Don't let it happen.

Look around, kids are not riding like they use too... Kid's aren't playing instruments or sports like they use too. It's old school out there keeping most things alive for the young. Old School has the money... kids don't. Old School will disappear pretty soon...

IF YOU GOT THIS FAR... My point is this, It's a tough business. My hat's off to Mitch... Reed... Carmichael, Hart, Joe Gibbs.... All these individuals that take the risk because they see what we see. My hat's off to them and others. So when you get a chance support those that support us. What ever way you can support them... I can tell you they are not making a ton of money..

They do it for the passion. That same passion riders have that race...
|
10/7/2014 8:50pm
My attention span isn't long enough to read that. Can someone summarize it for me?
10/7/2014 8:55pm
My attention span isn't long enough to read that. Can someone summarize it for me?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^
logan_140
10/7/2014 8:57pm
Lol yes please someone

The Shop

Dr. Know
10/7/2014 9:14pm
The translation is there are very few that are willing to spend money on motocross compared to other sports, and it's much more expensive then other sports. Other sports you buy a ball, shorts and tennis shoes.. people pay 50 bucks for tickets to see them.

Welcome everyone to our support, and support those that try to make it work through team ownership.

What I'm really trying to say is Country folk ride dirt bikes. City fold don't. Country folk don't have money like city folk.. If City folk come to see a race, they want a restroom not a porta potty.

Bring city folks to races, take city folk to the local track and let them ride your bike.. 0lO.... we need more people participating and paying money... There are no bike dealerships anymore. There gone. No one is buying bikes.

The things dying, and I hate to see it happen..

better..
ML512
Fantasy
36th
10/7/2014 9:15pm
logan_140 wrote:
Lol yes please someone
He still wants the Stewart brothers to put together their own team.
csym108
10/7/2014 9:19pm
what? My head hurts
10/7/2014 9:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2014 9:27pm
csym108 wrote:
what? My head hurts
I know right.

Even hillbilly's worst posts are more coherent than this mess. Grinning
Cygnus
10/7/2014 9:31pm
Pass the adderall please.
Dr. Know
10/7/2014 9:31pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2014 9:33pm
logan_140 wrote:
Lol yes please someone
ML512 wrote:
He still wants the Stewart brothers to put together their own team.
Well once again my point proven. Hillbillies don't read they draw.

Now you are going to distract the conversation because you can't keep up.. Wood in a situation like this silence will also work for you.

Why wouldn't the Stewart's start a team. They would bring a whole different demographic. We need money in the sport. People buying tickets, bikes...

Getting involved.

any and all... to make our sport bigger. Why not the Stewarts, or anyone for that matter?
toroP
10/7/2014 9:40pm
Nice term paper. Maybe I'll read it later.
Dr. Know
10/7/2014 9:40pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2014 9:41pm
Should have been called Dr. NO
Stay on topic...

That's the point of the threads to intelligently discuss issues related to motocross respectfully. Not harass individuals that are looking for solutions, and comments like this is harassment.

Why wouldn't the Stewart's or anyone else start a team. Why not?
Skuzzy29
10/7/2014 9:42pm

dirtnapper
10/7/2014 9:43pm
Has ANYONE given this noob a good ol STFU?? He certainly needs it.....

Huh
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
10/7/2014 9:46pm
Dr. Know wrote:
Well once again my point proven. Hillbillies don't read they draw. Now you are going to distract the conversation because you can't keep up.. Wood in...

Now you are going to distract the conversation because you can't keep up.. Wood in a situation like this silence will also work for you.

Why wouldn't the Stewart's start a team. They would bring a whole different demographic. We need money in the sport. People buying tickets, bikes...

Getting involved.

any and all... to make our sport bigger. Why not the Stewarts, or anyone for that matter?
Really? You have to ask why the Stewarts don't start a team?

Why in the world would a guy want to go from making high six figures racing to paying 2 million to race? Seems like simple economics to me.
Dr. Know
10/7/2014 9:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2014 9:53pm
Dr. Know wrote:
Well once again my point proven. Hillbillies don't read they draw. Now you are going to distract the conversation because you can't keep up.. Wood in...

Getting involved.

UpTiTe wrote:
Really? You have to ask why the Stewarts don't start a team? Why in the world would a guy want to go from making high six...

Why in the world would a guy want to go from making high six figures racing to paying 2 million to race? Seems like simple economics to me.
Thank you UpTiTe for bringing this back on track.

Well for one, their life cycle in the sport is short for both. They have a very unique niche and they need to capture and keep their audience for the future. Yes, they are making money now, but they need to have a plan in a way that Dove tails into something else. I do not think they would want to wait until the thing dries up.

Let me ask you this. Why did Reed start a team, and why do people indicate he's a stud hard worker, he will grind it out? Why is that considered special and successful?

I am thinking more for the sport. I don't think one big company or companies are going to be the future in our sport. It's going to be a lot of individuals putting teams together and keeping things organized like RC Hart and others are doing. I believe that is the future.

James is getting up there, and he needs to Dovetail into something else soon.

Any and everyone has to get involved to make our sport last for the future.
jasonv43
10/7/2014 9:59pm
Well I'm pretty sure that Vital pulls in the most money out of everybody.

Dr. Know
10/7/2014 10:00pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2014 10:01pm
haha.... I agree Jasonv43, but then again I only see one $100...lol
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
10/7/2014 10:01pm
Dr. Know wrote:

Getting involved.

UpTiTe wrote:
Really? You have to ask why the Stewarts don't start a team? Why in the world would a guy want to go from making high six...

Dr. Know wrote:
Thank you UpTiTe for bringing this back on track. Well for one, their life cycle in the sport is short for both. They have a very...

Well for one, their life cycle in the sport is short for both. They have a very unique niche and they need to capture and keep their audience for the future. Yes, they are making money now, but they need to have a plan in a way that Dove tails into something else. I do not think they would want to wait until the thing dries up.

Let me ask you this. Why did Reed start a team, and why do people indicate he's a stud hard worker, he will grind it out? Why is that considered special and successful?

I am thinking more for the sport. I don't think one big company or companies are going to be the future in our sport. It's going to be a lot of individuals putting teams together and keeping things organized like RC Hart and others are doing. I believe that is the future.

James is preparing for his future with 7 gear. That is an investment in his future thst has the potential for high returns, a team is more of a money pit for a guy like James.

Make no mistake, RCH is successfull because Cary and Kenny Watson know how to market themselves and they think outside the box. This sport would be fine if more people were like that.

Reed started his own team because he had no other options.
Dr. Know
10/7/2014 10:17pm
UpTiTe wrote:

Dr. Know wrote:
Thank you UpTiTe for bringing this back on track. Well for one, their life cycle in the sport is short for both. They have a very...

UpTiTe wrote:
James is preparing for his future with 7 gear. That is an investment in his future thst has the potential for high returns, a team is...
James is preparing for his future with 7 gear. That is an investment in his future thst has the potential for high returns, a team is more of a money pit for a guy like James.

Make no mistake, RCH is successfull because Cary and Kenny Watson know how to market themselves and they think outside the box. This sport would be fine if more people were like that.

Reed started his own team because he had no other options.
I'm curious what market share 7 gear has? hmmm. how fast they are growing..How far out they will expand their line? great looking gear.

I bet Pink turned Cary on to some smart people to help market outside of the motorcycle world. It's about being around smart people that don't necessarily ride to do business in this space. We have a tendency to want to stay in our bubble.

I'm saying Stewart's because they can bring a whole different demographic into the game. More and different dollars. Them having a team would be definitely out of the box. They have a very unique thing going on, and I would hate to see them waste it.

Ms. Stewart is a CPA... it could be done, but it would have to be skillfully crafted. They would have to stay out of their own way just like any team owner that rides would have to do.

I bet RCH is successful too because RC probably stays out of the way. He's a rider and a smart guy. RC is very respectful and very like-able and seems easy to work with. The key for him is he draws his audience.

James is too, but it took him a little while to learn to calm down and get a better grasp of his surroundings and learning how to get the most traction out of who he is.

I personally think these are the conversations that we need to have to open our minds up and start thinking of how to keep our sport healthy through these tough economic times.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
10/7/2014 10:43pm
dirtnapper wrote:

Huh
You almost had to add "NSFR", (not safe for Rock)...Laughing Just joshin.

STFU noobSmile
Dr. Know
10/7/2014 10:58pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2014 11:01pm
dirtnapper wrote:

Huh
EZZA 95B wrote:
You almost had to add "NSFR", (not safe for Rock)...Laughing Just joshin.

STFU noobSmile
ok EZZA 95B and dirtnapper.

The site rules consist of:

"Show respect. Not only to each other, but when posting about riders, team personnel, officials, etc. If you can’t, don’t be shocked if you have posted deleted, or moved to other forums (like The Dumbgeon)."

So stop harassing me with your inbred comments, or I am sure the moderators will deal with you accordingly.

It's not necessary to have everything dumb down for you. It's ok to be silent and listen, read if possible and learn. It's o.k.

Some people like to learn from each other rather than constantly reading girly outburst.

plowboy
10/7/2014 11:48pm
Supercross is pretty close to nascar. Easy parking, clean bathrooms, comfy seats (relatively speaking compared to a national). A guy can take the wife/date and kids to a supercross and not get much grief. Try doing that at an outdoor race. Steaming shitboxes, miles of walking up and down hill in dirt/dust/mud, limited or long lines for concessions...a recipe for misery. Remember...I'm not referring to idiots like us who would suffer all 7 rings of hell to watch anything moto...I mean the people who are spending their entertainment dollars on a diversion. Supercross fills the bill for keeping the casual fan happy (and the family he PAYS to bring with him). If the outdoor side of the sport wants to expand its base it simply MUST move to accommodate the casual fan and those family members that have no interest in the race. It may sound crazy to the hard core fan but vendors selling crap that women tend to impulse buy...carnival rides...midway games...a freaking fortune teller...whatever it takes to take the mind off the heat and dust. That is what will draw some of the supercross/nascar crowd to the outdoors. And even if I look at them with disdain...they spend money...and money is fertilizer. Yes...I have given this more than a passing thought.
10/8/2014 4:22am
Bro....tangents..bro...Stewart dropped 5 mill cashha on house bro....no need for team..bro...
bama205
10/8/2014 4:38am
So you tell others not to be insulting or you'll bring in the mods. Then in the same post call people inbred.

Let me guess, 16, 17?
gharmon
10/8/2014 4:38am
Dr. Know wrote:

Getting involved.

UpTiTe wrote:

The only thing wrong with that is I think JS probably makes over 7 figures when it all said and done.
Grizz
10/8/2014 5:02am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2014 5:02am
"Team Stewart could bring a whole new demographic."

You mean black people? Why haven't you just said it. Black. People. Not that hard to say. Even easier to type.

How would Malcolm and James being on their own team increase the black demographic? They both already race.

Post a reply to: Who is Making Money In Supercross/Motocross

The Latest