Who here owns/or has ridden a 500AF?

davis224
Fantasy
165th
Edited Date/Time 12/30/2015 3:27pm
Ok, here's the deal. I've barely ridden at all this past year, but I don't want to get out of MX. My current bike, a 2010 CRF450, is close to the end of its life without a rebuild. I've always wanted a 500AF and told myself it would be mine when I turned 25, but here I am at 27 yet to pull the trigger. I feel like my options are as follows: spend around $1000 and just freshen my bike up, sell it and buy a decent used 250 2 stroke, or spend about the same money and have my bike turned into a 500AF with mostly new parts. I'd like to get a little back into racing, maybe a few times a year, but MX has definitely taken a backseat to other hobbies and interest. How comparable to a 450 is a 500AF? I enjoy playing with big power/torque, can you tweak the 500 to act as torque as the 450 without being too pipey? Also, I assume I would have to revalve my suspension to go with the 2 stroke?
|
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
12/20/2015 11:41am
I have ridden a 500 in a 2009 450 frame. It was fast but i was much slower then on my 250 smoker or 450. And the bike was setup for a rider about like me and i spent several days riding it so i was cozy on it.
mxb2
12/20/2015 11:47am
davis224 wrote:
Ok, here's the deal. I've barely ridden at all this past year, but I don't want to get out of MX. My current bike, a 2010...
Ok, here's the deal. I've barely ridden at all this past year, but I don't want to get out of MX. My current bike, a 2010 CRF450, is close to the end of its life without a rebuild. I've always wanted a 500AF and told myself it would be mine when I turned 25, but here I am at 27 yet to pull the trigger. I feel like my options are as follows: spend around $1000 and just freshen my bike up, sell it and buy a decent used 250 2 stroke, or spend about the same money and have my bike turned into a 500AF with mostly new parts. I'd like to get a little back into racing, maybe a few times a year, but MX has definitely taken a backseat to other hobbies and interest. How comparable to a 450 is a 500AF? I enjoy playing with big power/torque, can you tweak the 500 to act as torque as the 450 without being too pipey? Also, I assume I would have to revalve my suspension to go with the 2 stroke?
Sell your crf, buy a 16 FE ktm 450. Your welcome lol
Bruce372
12/20/2015 11:51am
I figured most people on here would say build a 500af, they are great bikes, but it's either gonna be a lot of money or work to get one together, if you just wanna go ride, any new 450 is gonna be good to go for another 5 seasons just like your old 2010.

See if you can trade it in.
scooter5002
12/20/2015 12:00pm
20 years riding a 500, had my AF for a while, although I don't have a LOT of time on it. It's off being redone by a REAL fabricator, that POS Fanelli built is a memory. A bad one, but a memory nonetheless. No question that the AF is great choice for that 500, the Steelies were a pig in comparison.

First off, how much experience do you have on a 500, to begin with? That's a huge part of the equation. If you have none, or close to none, I'd say don't do it. That's a lot of motor, if you aren't familiar with it, this could be your worst spend ever. There is no doubt, the 500 will be harder to ride than the 450, even in the same chassis. I could go on and on about this, pointing out the negatives. If you strictly want a bike that will be an absolute thrill ride, and don't care about lap times, then pull the trigger. Metaphorically speaking, wait 'til you do that on the AF. Evil

The 10 is a decent chassis, but it will still have the handling it did as a 4 stroke, nothing will change that. There are a couple of places that sell kits to do this swap, and guys on FB who offer their services as well. It will cost a decent buck to get a conversion done, don't kid yourself. However, finding a good guy is worth every dime, because using a cheap shop means huge disappointment. Let me know if you want to get more info, I can get you onto the CR500 Conversion on FB, assuming you have a page already. A guy from Illinois does conversions, cranks out all the parts himself, quality stuff. Google M-Works, guys name is Mike. Another guy in Ohio, just do your homework. If you use MPS, don't tell me, and don't ever speak to me again. Lol You've been warned.

Lastly, don't expect an AF to turn you into the next Ricky Carmicheal, ain't going to happen. They are just a blast to ride, and they command respect and attention. Fun factor goes through the roof, though. Isn't that why we ride?

The Shop

12/20/2015 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2015 12:13pm
i would just refresh your current bike or get a 250 2-stroke

if MX isn't your main hobby why waste $$ on an expensive bike that is more of a novelty? everyone complains about these bikes vibrating and being nearly un-rideable after 15 minutes..regardless of who makes them.

your 450 is a better bike for everything except make drag racing or riding in the dunes

Spartacus
12/20/2015 12:12pm
i would just refresh your current bike or get a 250 2-stroke if MX isn't your main hobby why waste $$ on an expensive bike that...

if MX isn't your main hobby why waste $$ on an expensive bike that is more of a novelty? everyone complains about these bikes vibrating and being nearly un-rideable after 15 minutes..regardless of who makes them.

your 450 is a better bike for everything except make drag racing or riding in the dunes

I had one and the vibe wasn't bad at all, but then again I'm a real man and not some girly boy.
12/20/2015 12:20pm
i would just refresh your current bike or get a 250 2-stroke if MX isn't your main hobby why waste $$ on an expensive bike that...

Spartacus wrote:
I had one and the vibe wasn't bad at all, but then again I'm a real man and not some girly boy.
Do you even lift?
12/20/2015 12:25pm
My brother has got a 2008 Service Honda AF500 in a CRF250 frame & a 1999 CR500. He prefers the old steel frame, he reckons he can't feel no advantage with the AF. I can't see it myself as I've yet to ride both back to back.
scooter5002
12/20/2015 12:25pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2015 12:26pm
"everyone complains about these bikes vibrating and being nearly un-rideable after 15 minutes..regardless of who makes them."

Bullshit. Stop assuming that POS Service Honda built for Pastrana, which he said he couldn't keep together, is "everyone". My AF vibration is non-existent, and I can ride 30 to 40 minute motos on it. I get off because I'm tired, not because it vibrates.
12/20/2015 12:29pm
[i]"everyone complains about these bikes vibrating and being nearly un-rideable after 15 minutes..regardless of who makes them."[/i] Bullshit. Stop assuming that POS Service Honda built for...
"everyone complains about these bikes vibrating and being nearly un-rideable after 15 minutes..regardless of who makes them."

Bullshit. Stop assuming that POS Service Honda built for Pastrana, which he said he couldn't keep together, is "everyone". My AF vibration is non-existent, and I can ride 30 to 40 minute motos on it. I get off because I'm tired, not because it vibrates.
lots and lots of people have complained about them vibrating.

for some it doesnt bother them..for others..it does

Spartacus
12/20/2015 12:38pm
[i]"everyone complains about these bikes vibrating and being nearly un-rideable after 15 minutes..regardless of who makes them."[/i] Bullshit. Stop assuming that POS Service Honda built for...

I've had my hands on a couple with balanced cracks that were amazingly vibration free.

Doing it again, I'd get an early 2000's 250 chassis and (for me) the 250 flywheel in the 500 motor made it much better for moto. It felt like a 250 that you could loop out in 4th just by twisting the throttle.

They're super fun but clearly not for everyone.
12/20/2015 12:43pm

Spartacus wrote:
I've had my hands on a couple with balanced cracks that were amazingly vibration free. Doing it again, I'd get an early 2000's 250 chassis and...
I've had my hands on a couple with balanced cracks that were amazingly vibration free.

Doing it again, I'd get an early 2000's 250 chassis and (for me) the 250 flywheel in the 500 motor made it much better for moto. It felt like a 250 that you could loop out in 4th just by twisting the throttle.

They're super fun but clearly not for everyone.
if you're a big guy whose not riding nationals a 250 2-stroke is fast enough for anyone. same with a 450 thas 'tuned' or massaged

over kill.....
12/20/2015 12:47pm
If mx isn't your main hobby I wouldn't get a 500. I think a 4 stroke is better for you. Easier to ride and you can just take it for a spin now and then and still be able to ride comfortable.
DirtDiggler
12/20/2015 12:50pm
My buddies dune bike.
Hes not the original owner.
Its polished to a mirror finish on frame full engine and cases and swingarm and damn near everything.
Its a looker. Pulls a 12 paddle hooker no problem.

It pulls lots of attention as well.
It is wicked fast. Most are afraid of it and barely tickle the throttle.

It will skim desert whoops at 95 MPH.

Its not a bike for nancies. Pastrana is a fuckin stud.
Did he even touch the whoops?
bob567
12/20/2015 12:52pm
As a second bike I would like a CR500 engine in a 2016 KTM FE frame. KTM is doing many things right but they don't make a modern 500 two stroke. My days of riding motocross bikes with street bike frames are over.
DrSweden
12/20/2015 12:52pm
20 years riding a 500, had my AF for a while, although I don't have a LOT of time on it. It's off being redone by...
20 years riding a 500, had my AF for a while, although I don't have a LOT of time on it. It's off being redone by a REAL fabricator, that POS Fanelli built is a memory. A bad one, but a memory nonetheless. No question that the AF is great choice for that 500, the Steelies were a pig in comparison.

First off, how much experience do you have on a 500, to begin with? That's a huge part of the equation. If you have none, or close to none, I'd say don't do it. That's a lot of motor, if you aren't familiar with it, this could be your worst spend ever. There is no doubt, the 500 will be harder to ride than the 450, even in the same chassis. I could go on and on about this, pointing out the negatives. If you strictly want a bike that will be an absolute thrill ride, and don't care about lap times, then pull the trigger. Metaphorically speaking, wait 'til you do that on the AF. Evil

The 10 is a decent chassis, but it will still have the handling it did as a 4 stroke, nothing will change that. There are a couple of places that sell kits to do this swap, and guys on FB who offer their services as well. It will cost a decent buck to get a conversion done, don't kid yourself. However, finding a good guy is worth every dime, because using a cheap shop means huge disappointment. Let me know if you want to get more info, I can get you onto the CR500 Conversion on FB, assuming you have a page already. A guy from Illinois does conversions, cranks out all the parts himself, quality stuff. Google M-Works, guys name is Mike. Another guy in Ohio, just do your homework. If you use MPS, don't tell me, and don't ever speak to me again. Lol You've been warned.

Lastly, don't expect an AF to turn you into the next Ricky Carmicheal, ain't going to happen. They are just a blast to ride, and they command respect and attention. Fun factor goes through the roof, though. Isn't that why we ride?
That's the best "sums up" read ever on a AF. Decades of experience goes into that paragraph. Tnx Andy.
DirtDiggler
12/20/2015 12:54pm
If they vibrate....get your wife to buy it for you.

She can warm it up for you. Everyones happy!Cool
davis224
Fantasy
165th
12/20/2015 1:18pm
Buying a new 450 has almost 0 appeal to me. I already got a quote from AJ at Service Honda and it's relatively inexpensive considering you're getting a brand new crate engine. I'd like to line up a few more times just to get some +25 and A class drops under my belt, but then again, I'm not even sure the 500 is legal in the open A/B/C classes around here. I have no delusions of a 500 making me that much faster, I was just hoping it would be more like a 450 that sounds better and costs less than half as much to rebuild...
davis224
Fantasy
165th
12/20/2015 1:21pm
Nobody had any suspension changes done after a conversion? I figured the lack of engine breaking and mildly different frame/subframe would require more than a few turns of the clickers
scooter5002
12/20/2015 1:28pm

In the case of the bikes that vibrate, it was the builder. In my case, it's a non issue, because there's no vibration. The levers don't even move when it's idling. I also rode 2 bikes built by a guy who does them, same deal, zero vibes. If there is a complaint about vibration, it's probably legitimate. However, built properly, they are as smooth as can be, it falls back on the guy doing the fab work.

scooter5002
12/20/2015 1:31pm
davis224 wrote:
Nobody had any suspension changes done after a conversion? I figured the lack of engine breaking and mildly different frame/subframe would require more than a few...
Nobody had any suspension changes done after a conversion? I figured the lack of engine breaking and mildly different frame/subframe would require more than a few turns of the clickers
Done nothing to mine, but I threw an Ohlins TTX shock on mine. Now I hate my forks. Lol That TTX is amazing. Just something to consider, if you want to convert your bike. Find a good motor, and sell your 450 motor. You will save some money doing that, and go to a private guy, to get your frame done. If you're happy with your bike, run it.
TeamGreen
12/20/2015 1:40pm
Obviously, the chassis/coversion quality is important; but, balanced cranks have always played a huge part in how my 500s "feel".
holeshot413
Fantasy
1759th
12/20/2015 1:57pm
Im 53 My AF was built on a 2006 Honda CR 250 R frame, 2 stroke, 98 CR 500 motor, I absolutely love it way lighter than my 450. I never lack power, and have tamed it with gearing. It starts great, runs and handles awesome, the vibration is NOT noticeable more or less than my yz 250 2 smoke. Ive had it just about a year now and love it. I still have my 450, a 250 2 stroke but this 500 makes me smile. The only thing ONLY is that this Honda suspension is not as good as my Yamaha suspension, Ive revalved it twice now trying to get that SSS feel and Im getting it closer but...
here is my race a week ago
https://youtu.be/PgvSR1RgQyY
gt80rider
12/20/2015 2:03pm
I have ridden two 500af's... They are their own type of beast. And no, they will never be as easy to ride as a 450. For me they are incredible to ride for a few laps, but my old out of shape ass simply can't hang on to one well enough to warrant owning one. However, I would sure love to have one to sit in my man cave and drool over every night.
holeshot413
Fantasy
1759th
12/20/2015 2:08pm
gt80rider wrote:
I have ridden two 500af's... They are their own type of beast. And no, they will never be as easy to ride as a 450. For...
I have ridden two 500af's... They are their own type of beast. And no, they will never be as easy to ride as a 450. For me they are incredible to ride for a few laps, but my old out of shape ass simply can't hang on to one well enough to warrant owning one. However, I would sure love to have one to sit in my man cave and drool over every night.
yeah, you have to be in good shape to race them. My 450 and 250 2 stroke dont tire me out as much as 500. BUT when I remember to ride it right its feels easier. Sometimes when racing I get caught up in the racing and revving it.
gt80rider
12/20/2015 2:14pm
Im 53 My AF was built on a 2006 Honda CR 250 R frame, 2 stroke, 98 CR 500 motor, I absolutely love it way lighter...
Im 53 My AF was built on a 2006 Honda CR 250 R frame, 2 stroke, 98 CR 500 motor, I absolutely love it way lighter than my 450. I never lack power, and have tamed it with gearing. It starts great, runs and handles awesome, the vibration is NOT noticeable more or less than my yz 250 2 smoke. Ive had it just about a year now and love it. I still have my 450, a 250 2 stroke but this 500 makes me smile. The only thing ONLY is that this Honda suspension is not as good as my Yamaha suspension, Ive revalved it twice now trying to get that SSS feel and Im getting it closer but...
here is my race a week ago
https://youtu.be/PgvSR1RgQyY
Lol... Love how you yelled at the guy for holding his line. Just a hint, you can't pass a guy by following his line, you actually have to take a different one. Just sayn...
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
12/20/2015 2:18pm
It sounds like you need some experience riding a 500. You'll get used to it if you ride a track. Then its just another bike and you're throwing down laps. I haven't ridden and AF but I've had plenty of CR500s. Scooter5002 has the best advice. If you do it, you might consider a flywheel weight. This will help smooth the power out a little.
holeshot413
Fantasy
1759th
12/20/2015 2:26pm
yeah, embarrased by that Sad the yelling I mean)
holeshot413
Fantasy
1759th
12/20/2015 2:27pm
burn1986 wrote:
It sounds like you need some experience riding a 500. You'll get used to it if you ride a track. Then its just another bike and...
It sounds like you need some experience riding a 500. You'll get used to it if you ride a track. Then its just another bike and you're throwing down laps. I haven't ridden and AF but I've had plenty of CR500s. Scooter5002 has the best advice. If you do it, you might consider a flywheel weight. This will help smooth the power out a little.
flywheel weight wont fit under Boyesen cover,

Post a reply to: Who here owns/or has ridden a 500AF?

The Latest