Who do you ride with?

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
Edited Date/Time 8/31/2015 8:41pm
I have found it hard to make it to the track with people. A day of lone motos kinda sucks. It's one of two ways, either my friends who ride are busy, or racing somewhere else. Or when I try to invite friends who don't ride, they couldn't care less, tell me "yea I will try to make it" and then make plans to do other things. So I need someone to go with me in case of an accident and to help me through the day, so drag my parents along with me (I am 20) and even then it is a struggle to get them out of the house before everything is loaded in the truck. I have had one person who will go with me without question or convincing. She has even said she wants to learn to ride so she can join me. Keeper I know.

So who do you ride with? Or are most of you like me, show up to the track, try to make friends with the guys parked around you, moto is a big family right? and try to ride laps with them.
|
Outsider
8/28/2015 11:43pm
Damn, that sucks bud..

When I live in Reno I was at the edge of the desert and would rip out the garage and go for miles in the dez.. so free and so much fun but definitely many times on a fast trail and near miss I would realize that it probably wasn't too smart.

When I started hitting tracks in Socal, I would be with buddies but sometimes during the week just go myself. You can park near some other guys and flat out let them know you are on your own that day and please keep a lookout. Did that one day when I ruptured my spleen at Perris and guys helped my load up etc.. never know, they could be cool and become other guys to ride with. At least let the track owners/workers know.

Despite what you read on this board, moto people are good people and usually help one another.

Or, go to gaydirtbikeridersforfun.cock... I heard "Huck" runs this site and always happy lend a hand... or whatever he does Wink
hillbilly
8/29/2015 4:22am
Always by myself. But my track is in the yard.

Had a big one on my 610 one day,tbought my femur was busted for sure. Had to crawl to my barn,bout 200 feet to get the tin can kite string and call for help.

Learned after that one.

Good times.
Huckster
8/29/2015 4:38am
I have found it hard to make it to the track with people. A day of lone motos kinda sucks. It's one of two ways, either...
I have found it hard to make it to the track with people. A day of lone motos kinda sucks. It's one of two ways, either my friends who ride are busy, or racing somewhere else. Or when I try to invite friends who don't ride, they couldn't care less, tell me "yea I will try to make it" and then make plans to do other things. So I need someone to go with me in case of an accident and to help me through the day, so drag my parents along with me (I am 20) and even then it is a struggle to get them out of the house before everything is loaded in the truck. I have had one person who will go with me without question or convincing. She has even said she wants to learn to ride so she can join me. Keeper I know.

So who do you ride with? Or are most of you like me, show up to the track, try to make friends with the guys parked around you, moto is a big family right? and try to ride laps with them.
I know the problem all to well. All my riding friends have either retired or moved on. It is no fun going by yourself I even have a track in my yard and it's hard to get motivated to ride alone. As I type this I am actually trying to convince myself to get out the door and go to a local OP but no one I know is going. It is much easier and more fun if you have a friend who rides with you.
8/29/2015 4:58am
I kind off always go by myself , but wherever i turn out to be i have multiple friends that r riding there, the longer you'r within this industry the more people you'll get to know, riding regionals or club races might be a good thing to do as many of those people r usually around the tracks you go ride on.

When i show up on a track and i absolutely don't know anyone, i ride probably on half the speed i would usually ride and just burn lap after lap and try to get as many minutes in as i can and look at it as a duration training in stead of speed

The Shop

kkawboy14
8/29/2015 5:12am
Sometimes I show up and Andrew short or Ben lamay is there but I wouldn't say we are together Smile
Barrett57
8/29/2015 8:47am
I'm lucky, I have a group of friends who are absolutely 110% obsessed with MX and ride at every single opportunity. So I always have someone to go riding with.

tomm55x
8/29/2015 8:54am
I have a hard time finding people to ride with also, my friends that do ride barely ever ride and if a bit of travel is involved then they really don't wanna go, I personally like to do a little bit of traveling because it's always cool to go to places you have never been or knew existed. I hoped by now I would have a met a girl that is relatively interested in mx and could share the same interests but that is something that has not happened and more so something I have given up on, they are few and far between in old Erie PA lol!! It sucks going alone, trying to get motivated is very difficult, anyway I am going to check out TV land in about an hour if anyone in the area is interested!!
Moto810
8/29/2015 8:57am
I have found it hard to make it to the track with people. A day of lone motos kinda sucks. It's one of two ways, either...

I know what you mean. Here are two things that can help.

1) get an emergency ID wrist band. www.CategoryMe.com In case of an accident they will know who you are and how to help you. Your profile can have your emergency contact info, insurance info, ID, and more. I once saw a guy who put a sign on the back of his van that said "In Case of Emergency" because he went to the track alone.

2) we are trying to get www.CategoryMe.com started. The cool thing about it is you make your profile and then add a # Hashtag say #Motocross. Now you and others can connect in your local area under that category. Once you connect you can send messages to that group of people only. It is specific to that hashtag only. So when your posting about going riding it only goes to your group.

I know its not a solution to all of your profiles right now but the ID wristband is something nice. Here is where you can buy your wrist bands. https://www.reminderband.com/products/
mxpappy711
8/29/2015 10:52am
Married 37 years wife goes with if no friends are going to be there. She is not enthusiastic as she once was but knows I need someone there. Sounds like your girlfriend is a keeper.
As you get older riding buddy's drop off, don't quit. I now ride with several of my friends adult children. Pretty cool. But they sure wear me out
jeffro503
8/29/2015 10:55am
It's pretty rare that I end up going to a track by myself , but when I do I usually go park by other friends or people I know just in case something happens. I know a lot of people so I can usually find at least a couple riding buddies of mine some where. I think I have about 30 + moto heads on speed dial and I'll try and give a lot of them a heads up before I go any where. Different groups , different crowds , doesn't really matter as long as I'm not riding by myself.
Olson
8/29/2015 11:08am
All the people I ride with is people I've met at the track for the first time and later developed a friendship with.
Zycki11
8/29/2015 11:12am
Group of friends for me(about 10 of us). Ranging in all skills from C class to a couple of us in +25 and a couple local pros one who still races Sx. Good times for sure. Generally end the day happy to be in one piece with flip flops and beer. Have had some very long trips back home. Couple hour drive turned into 6 1/2 due to multiple pit stops at bars and even a winery. Ha
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
8/29/2015 11:31am
Being in SoCal I have always had friends I could meet up with. The ONE time I went to Perris by myself I ended up t-boning some dude off the old VP Leap who was cutting the track. Broke my right humerus, and had nobody to help. Thankfully the guys pitted next to me helped. Still drove myself to the hospital.

After that, I have never gone alone.
Moto810
8/29/2015 11:43am
avidchimp wrote:
Being in SoCal I have always had friends I could meet up with. The ONE time I went to Perris by myself I ended up t-boning...
Being in SoCal I have always had friends I could meet up with. The ONE time I went to Perris by myself I ended up t-boning some dude off the old VP Leap who was cutting the track. Broke my right humerus, and had nobody to help. Thankfully the guys pitted next to me helped. Still drove myself to the hospital.

Sounds like me. I did the same damn thing at Lake Elsinore years ago. Broker my arm loaded my bike and drove myself back to HB to the hospital! lol

I was not right for two years after that so I learned my lesson after that situation.

I go skiing by myself sometimes but that is different. Maybe the tracks could have a policy or something to help riders feel like someone will help them if needed? Its not just first aid as it could be your truck, bike, wallet, and dog! What happens if your trucked off and no one takes care of your stuff?
moore433
8/29/2015 11:59am Edited Date/Time 8/29/2015 12:00pm
When I was still riding a couple of years ago (pre-back surgery) it would be me, my two sons 19 and 20 and my dad 67...
Always a good time riding together. And it's really fun racing the over 40 class with your dad.
We'd surround them, me up front and my dad at the back...
Flip109
8/29/2015 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2015 12:05pm
My son and a really good friend and his bro. Always fun times!! Then afterwards we hit chilis and down some cold onesCool

I hate going to the track by myself. Most the time I won't even go if they don't.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
8/29/2015 12:20pm
Jesus or my drunk buddies. Going to the track with your family isn't that bad, that's how most of all riders start anyways.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
8/29/2015 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2015 12:26pm
I could ride right out of my front yard into the everglades as they tore it down and dug lakes to dry out the swamp as a kid. They would leave these monster hills of dirt for years as they moved on down the state and we would make tracks everywhere. It seemed like every kid in my school had a dirtbike or 3 wheeler. We were racing pretty much every weekend and if your parents couldn't get you to the races someone else's parents would pick you up. then at 14 years old Gramps died and we moved just a few hours away and no one in my highschool had a bike or followed moto. I would ask everyone and they would point me to the local flag pond. I was alone in moto in my whole town and then in tenth grade I see these two new kids wearing kawi jersey's and I asked if they rode and they actually had 2 87 kx 125's which was my exact bike so we met at a riding area I found and we have been riding weekly ever since. I became best friends with the older brother and we had a blast growing up. We are still riding 30 years later. He owns a roofing company and moto still trumps all things in our lives. The only downfall is he doesn't follow the racing and I know every detail so all I have is you guys to talk moto with. lol No, years later it got very popular around here and there are a ton of great people I have met that love it but it was a struggle to find people into it at first.
jtiger12
8/29/2015 12:59pm
Usually ride alone, but when I have company it's usually my riding bro of 20 years straight. I have some other guys I know from the tracks, vital, fb, etc.
Outsider
8/29/2015 1:20pm
avidchimp wrote:
Being in SoCal I have always had friends I could meet up with. The ONE time I went to Perris by myself I ended up t-boning...

Perris must have a curse cause that's where I did my spleen by myself. Got help to load up and started driving back to Torrance thinking I just had bruised ribs.

As I got nearer to the exit off the 405 I started having a really weird type of nausea and I knew something was wrong.. drove the F150 over the iceplant and a few other things (lol) to pass the lines of traffic and get to Torrance memorial. Parked in front of the ER and the nurse calmly took my info and said have a seat.. I said, uh, I think I'm gonna puke... she handed my a huge bowl which I immediately filled with all kinds of good stuff including blood. I was admitted immediately..

Good times eh? Laughing
Titan1
8/29/2015 1:26pm
I usually ride two or three of my brothers, and an assortment of guys I've met racing. I don't like to go by myself, but when I do I make some someone knows where I'm at, exactly, and when I'll be home (and if I'm not back by then and haven't called, come lookin for me). And then I usually back it down a bit so I'm less likely to crash.

(I'm riding off road in the desert.)
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
8/29/2015 1:32pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2015 1:33pm
Moto810 wrote:
I know what you mean. Here are two things that can help. 1) get an emergency ID wrist band. www.CategoryMe.com In case of an accident they...
I know what you mean. Here are two things that can help.

1) get an emergency ID wrist band. www.CategoryMe.com In case of an accident they will know who you are and how to help you. Your profile can have your emergency contact info, insurance info, ID, and more. I once saw a guy who put a sign on the back of his van that said "In Case of Emergency" because he went to the track alone.

2) we are trying to get www.CategoryMe.com started. The cool thing about it is you make your profile and then add a # Hashtag say #Motocross. Now you and others can connect in your local area under that category. Once you connect you can send messages to that group of people only. It is specific to that hashtag only. So when your posting about going riding it only goes to your group.

I know its not a solution to all of your profiles right now but the ID wristband is something nice. Here is where you can buy your wrist bands. https://www.reminderband.com/products/
I like the idea of the sign letting people know. Probably better to talk to the guys around you, or to the track owner if they are the type that is out there all day. Give them some emergency numbers. Leaving a sign at some tracks is like saying please take my, keys, tools, and spare gear. Not where I ride though.
NHtoWA421
8/29/2015 1:34pm
That sucks, but i imagine it happens to a lot of us from time to time. Thankfully, there is usually another "lone wolf" out there, in the same boat, feeling that same feeling. I usually do a lap around the pits and let them know ill look out for them, and vice versa. It can lead to a stronger group of riding buddies for sure. Most people are good people and will help you out. Karma is a friend, and we all know it.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
8/29/2015 1:36pm

This is my moto crew, mom on the right, my dad was taking the picture
GD2
Fantasy
815th
8/29/2015 2:58pm
I head to the track with my dad.
Moto810
8/29/2015 3:29pm
I can tell you all as an ex military guy and a pilot who moved often because of the job it is sometimes difficult for those persons who don't have family around to ride with. Sure if you still live in your hometown then you will have people to go to the track with. But there are those people on here who relocated to a new area and would love to make a few friends or have some type of a group to ride with! That is one reason we built www.CategoryMe.com so that people who want can group together and hang out. Riding alone is not nearly as much fun as riding with some good friends.
Thelen20
8/29/2015 3:29pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/29/103295/s1200_image.jpg[/img] This is my moto crew, mom on the right, my dad was taking the picture

That's a great start! The track is a great place to make new riding buddies. I have never been an outgoing guy but when you have moto in common it is pretty easy to strike up a conversation.

I have recently started riding more with one guy in particular and am having a blast. He is 44, I am 30. He has been at it since he was a kid, used to be Loretta's fast and was making his way to being a pro but lost a kidney along the way. Even so he held a pro card for a while in the early 2000's and these days battles don bisceglia when he lines up in 40+ expert here in Texas.

Anyway, we can put down some really REALLY fun laps together, come off the track and we cant stop smiling! Here is one from last weekend

https://youtu.be/6aWtWZaY9aY
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
8/29/2015 5:32pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2015 5:39pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/29/103295/s1200_image.jpg[/img] This is my moto crew, mom on the right, my dad was taking the picture

Thelen20 wrote:
That's a great start! The track is a great place to make new riding buddies. I have never been an outgoing guy but when you have...
That's a great start! The track is a great place to make new riding buddies. I have never been an outgoing guy but when you have moto in common it is pretty easy to strike up a conversation.

I have recently started riding more with one guy in particular and am having a blast. He is 44, I am 30. He has been at it since he was a kid, used to be Loretta's fast and was making his way to being a pro but lost a kidney along the way. Even so he held a pro card for a while in the early 2000's and these days battles don bisceglia when he lines up in 40+ expert here in Texas.

Anyway, we can put down some really REALLY fun laps together, come off the track and we cant stop smiling! Here is one from last weekend

https://youtu.be/6aWtWZaY9aY
Nice. This is me and my buddy at Lcross. He is not as fast as he once was but he loves every minute. I don't mind cruising around with him except when he roosts me at least once a day. (end of lap 4 just like old times)
This was my first ride back after 3 years off after an injury. First air fork and FI and a safe fun track. Great time.
Thelen20
8/29/2015 6:30pm
FLmxer wrote:
[embed] https://youtu.be/V9J1O46Fnqk [/embed] Nice. This is me and my buddy at Lcross. He is not as fast as he once was but he loves every minute...
Nice. This is me and my buddy at Lcross. He is not as fast as he once was but he loves every minute. I don't mind cruising around with him except when he roosts me at least once a day. (end of lap 4 just like old times)
This was my first ride back after 3 years off after an injury. First air fork and FI and a safe fun track. Great time.
Nice! Going real good for being off 3 years! I bet that track is great after a perfect rain! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to eat old man roost on the regular, lol
8/29/2015 7:15pm
I mostly ride with a group of fine, distinguished, upstanding gentlemen known as the "Nerd Herd".

Post a reply to: Who do you ride with?

The Latest