White Power Forks

Drtbykr
Edited Date/Time 4/29/2015 11:43am
I love my KTM for many reasons s, and doubt I will ever sell it. But someday I might ad to it.

It isn't moto, it is an old 2006 EXC in perfect shape for an old wood rider.

When I got it, compared t my WR450, it handled like a shopping cart. But I doubt I will by another Japanese bike, I want a Husky.

After some FC and a Scott's damper, the bike as many more pro's than con's. $1000 I didn't expect to spend.

MXA and others do not bold back their dislike for the WP legs (must make KTM exec's breath fire). They don't care what version.
The haters don't have any mercy.

If you have to ask WTF is off-road,please move on.

My question is, have WP caught HP enough that a new bike, say a sweet KTM 350 has acceptable forks compared to Japanese for mortals?
Anybody bought a late model WP equipped machine and been very satisfied with the suspension without tossing $ at it?

Hafe thistablets keyboard, lol.
Thanks
|
4/28/2015 12:27pm
I would have said yes up until the new bikes with the 4cs fork, its absolute crap. WP knows they shit the bed on this fork and have been scrambling to make it work ever since they released it.
JB 19
4/28/2015 1:28pm
I have rode a 14.5 450 with 15.5 forks. (The owner of the 15.5 bought Ohlins) The new forks aren't bad. I would still have to ride it more to see what i can do to adjust them, but they are manageable.

I feel like the shock is actually really good. Glued to the ground on acceleration.
Suns_PSD
4/28/2015 1:34pm
Yah, a bunch or Aryan looking dudes saying "White Power" isn't really PC any longer which is why the company name was changed to just simply "WP".

I don't think the newest WP forks are bad.

That said, I'll likely wait until the next generation of air forks hit the KTMs before buying a replacement dirt bike. Hopefully they will do the shock as well.
gpracer36
4/28/2015 1:48pm
the WP forks are a joke, flat out. Yes, they can be made to work ok, but the design limits what can be done. Just a fact. The 4cs forks simply are a joke. I remember riding my buddies brand new 14.5 FE. I rode through the pits and before I even hit the track I came back to the truck and told him something is wrong. We tore the whole front end apart putting it back together making sure everything was aligned and torqued. Went back out and made it half a lap. I was in complete amazement that a bike so nice could actually hit dealers floors with such a huge piece of shit fork. Seriously, how does that happen?

The Shop

slipdog
4/28/2015 2:03pm
gpracer36 wrote:
the WP forks are a joke, flat out. Yes, they can be made to work ok, but the design limits what can be done. Just a...
the WP forks are a joke, flat out. Yes, they can be made to work ok, but the design limits what can be done. Just a fact. The 4cs forks simply are a joke. I remember riding my buddies brand new 14.5 FE. I rode through the pits and before I even hit the track I came back to the truck and told him something is wrong. We tore the whole front end apart putting it back together making sure everything was aligned and torqued. Went back out and made it half a lap. I was in complete amazement that a bike so nice could actually hit dealers floors with such a huge piece of shit fork. Seriously, how does that happen?
Same reason all other stock KTM forks suck. WP components are just fine, but the owner's son must be the guy in charge of setting up the valving. I've never seen anything from WP that I thought was a well thought out valving set up.
TeamGreen
4/28/2015 2:29pm
gpracer36 wrote:
the WP forks are a joke, flat out. Yes, they can be made to work ok, but the design limits what can be done. Just a...
slipdog wrote:
Same reason all other stock KTM forks suck. WP components are just fine, but the owner's son must be the guy in charge of setting up...
Same reason all other stock KTM forks suck. WP components are just fine, but the owner's son must be the guy in charge of setting up the valving. I've never seen anything from WP that I thought was a well thought out valving set up.
I have a WP Factory Services revved set of '14 Bladder forks: they work pretty damn good! Stock they were harsh in the middle.

Just put 7 days in Baja on a '15 Husky FE w/ 4CS: really, really good forks. Added and subtracted Comp & REB on the fly...& the adjusters actually do what they're suppose to.
gpracer36
4/28/2015 2:44pm
gpracer36 wrote:
slipdog wrote:
Same reason all other stock KTM forks suck. WP components are just fine, but the owner's son must be the guy in charge of setting up...
TeamGreen wrote:
I have a WP Factory Services revved set of '14 Bladder forks: they work pretty damn good! Stock they were harsh in the middle. Just put...
I have a WP Factory Services revved set of '14 Bladder forks: they work pretty damn good! Stock they were harsh in the middle.

Just put 7 days in Baja on a '15 Husky FE w/ 4CS: really, really good forks. Added and subtracted Comp & REB on the fly...& the adjusters actually do what they're suppose to.
the bladder forks are a better design and my 14 450sx worked pretty good with bob bell valving. But, the 4cs forks on my 15 350sx had me throw in the towel until they make a change for the better.
mmcmx
4/28/2015 3:01pm
I don't understand the hate, in europe more pros put WP stuff on the japanesse bikes everyday. (Cone valve and traxx)

The 4cs forks aren't bad, but they are a diferent concept and the tunner has to understand it.
slipdog
4/28/2015 3:25pm
gpracer36 wrote:
slipdog wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
I have a WP Factory Services revved set of '14 Bladder forks: they work pretty damn good! Stock they were harsh in the middle. Just put...

Exactly my point!

People bitched about the bladder fork, but I can make them wotk as good as a KYB or Showa fork. They don't work great with stock settings so people perpetuate the hate that the forks are no good.

In one weekend of testing I've already made the 15.5 FE much better and they're not bad to start with. I also have a rider that just won the junior Super Enduro World Championship on my '14 4cs set up, so I see no problem with WP components at all. Wink
gpracer36
4/28/2015 3:29pm
slipdog wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:

slipdog wrote:
Exactly my point! People bitched about the bladder fork, but I can make them wotk as good as a KYB or Showa fork. They don't work...
Exactly my point!

People bitched about the bladder fork, but I can make them wotk as good as a KYB or Showa fork. They don't work great with stock settings so people perpetuate the hate that the forks are no good.

In one weekend of testing I've already made the 15.5 FE much better and they're not bad to start with. I also have a rider that just won the junior Super Enduro World Championship on my '14 4cs set up, so I see no problem with WP components at all. Wink
bottom line, where there's smoke there's fire. You don" see multiple threads on any given forum about Yamaha forks being shitty, right? right.
TeamGreen
4/28/2015 3:42pm
slipdog wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:

slipdog wrote:
Exactly my point! People bitched about the bladder fork, but I can make them wotk as good as a KYB or Showa fork. They don't work...
Exactly my point!

We need to go testing...

I've heard, in other places, that you might just know what the heck you're doing! Wink
4/28/2015 4:42pm
Absolutely blows my mind that after all these years of getting torn apart in magazine tests, KTM / WP still magaine to put out a product that they clearly must think "....wait until you check THIS out!!" only to still have the masses screaming "forks suck"
JB 19
4/28/2015 6:07pm
The WP stuff seems to be sensitive to adjustment. The 15 FE forks had a really harsh feel for me on braking bumps on standard settings. Four clicks softer on compression transformed the bike. I didn't get a chance to mess with rebound.

I think the forks may be under sprung for heavier people. I only weight 145 and they feel decently sprung for me. If you don't know how to use the clickers and feel what they are doing you can for get it. These forks HAVE to be set up. You can't just leave the clickers alone like on some bikes
4/28/2015 6:08pm
TeamGreen wrote:

This is soooooo wrong!!! Yes these forks are easy to adjust on the fly but too bad the forks have zero adjustment!! The clickers do almost nothing on the 4cs. If this fork is working for you then you are sitting pretty. There is no chasing settings through clickers, the fork has to be valved for you because if it doesn't the clickers do squat. Who ever designed this fork should be fired!!
PTECH
4/28/2015 6:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2015 6:22pm
I bought a new 500 exc this year with the non 4cs forks. I actually really like the suspension on the bike. I set the clickers to the recommended "sport" setting then went one click further in on everything and I'm really happy with it. My other bike is a 2007 YZ250 with the SSS forks everyone seems to think are the hot shit. I ride off road/desert exclusively and I thought think my KTM is way better than the yamaha at everything except trying to blast through huge whoops. I've heard good things about KTM worlds suspension work.
TeamGreen
4/28/2015 6:27pm
TeamGreen wrote:

This is soooooo wrong!!! Yes these forks are easy to adjust on the fly but too bad the forks have zero adjustment!! The clickers do almost...
This is soooooo wrong!!! Yes these forks are easy to adjust on the fly but too bad the forks have zero adjustment!! The clickers do almost nothing on the 4cs. If this fork is working for you then you are sitting pretty. There is no chasing settings through clickers, the fork has to be valved for you because if it doesn't the clickers do squat. Who ever designed this fork should be fired!!
I can promise you that on the '15 Husky...the clicks make a change.
mjskier
4/28/2015 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2015 8:54pm
How is that any different than any other fork?

Go to any forums and you have guys complaining about how harsh their honda or yamaha is, and asking where to send the suspension to get them revalved. Some of them don't even know what the clickers on their forks are for. And then they can't stop telling you how good the revalve is, even though their bike rides even worse after. I guess they have to justify the money they just flushed down the toilet.
Hell, ThumperTalk has a 100 page long thread on the CRF450R fork.

Plenty of guys get their WP dialed to their liking.
4/28/2015 10:19pm
doesn't it go for pretty much all forks that comp clickers effect low speed damping, high speed damping has to be adjusted through stacks and other stuff?
Meatstick
4/29/2015 9:46am
When they make the stuff as good as the product it's bolted to, I hope they change the name back. I'll run their stickers everywhere.
hillbilly
4/29/2015 9:58am
The oil must flow, you should of had the old 85ish wp forks,they had so many ways to change flow inside it was very hard to figure out.

One thing i see guys do or dont do is align the forks on the axel. ,leave the pinch bolts loose and stroke the fork atleast halfway so it centers and the lowers are parallel.

When RJ endo up the hill at unadilla and said the fork stayed collapsed made me think the mechanic had gotten in a hurry and got them bound up and they locked bottomed. It can happen but mainly it kills the bushings.
Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
4/29/2015 11:20am
I don't get it. I think it's a bunch of bitching about nothing. Or maybe I just got a good set. My 13 KTM 450 forks are as good or better than other stock forks I've had, and I've had many new bikes.
Tim507
4/29/2015 11:43am
Madmax31 wrote:
I don't get it. I think it's a bunch of bitching about nothing. Or maybe I just got a good set. My 13 KTM 450 forks...
I don't get it. I think it's a bunch of bitching about nothing. Or maybe I just got a good set. My 13 KTM 450 forks are as good or better than other stock forks I've had, and I've had many new bikes.
My 2012 WP on my XC500 are 100% stock and awesome as is the stock WP on my 13 300. Now the 4cs is another animal completelyDryWink

Post a reply to: White Power Forks

The Latest