Which heart rate monitor do you guys use?

Edited Date/Time 10/14/2014 11:58am
I had a Polar F7 but somehow lost the chest strap on my way home last week. The thing was hit or miss though. Was very finicky with working/not working. I would like it for running, mtg and moto...
|
Ashleymx
10/12/2014 12:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2014 12:27pm
Garmin Forerunner 310XT. Got mine off amazon for a good price. Perfect for MTB riding and running. I used my old Garmin Forerunner 305 for motocross and it was great and the 310XT is a newer version of it.
tek14
10/12/2014 12:55pm
Old model Garmin forerunner 610 is great because takes automatic lap times by positon, works even better on running and has cycling mode also. New models 220 and 620 dont have this(automatic lap times) anymore. Been using also Garmin 500 cycling computer on handle bar and u can get one pretty cheap now. This one allows u make GPS routes before going out and great with MTB also.
olds cool
10/12/2014 2:25pm
Speaking of HRM's, is there one that will sync with both my iPhone and my Concept 2 rower?

The Shop

Dr Wario
10/12/2014 2:59pm
Polar, haven't had any problems with mine
41NDT
10/12/2014 3:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2014 3:48pm
Polar RC3GPS.
Yours Truly
Tin man Wizzard of Oz
41NDT
10/12/2014 3:54pm
Cygnus wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/10/12/67457/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

Oh is that the road going version does the off-road version come with nobbys
moto0852
10/12/2014 4:24pm
I had a Polar F7 but somehow lost the chest strap on my way home last week. The thing was hit or miss though. Was very...
I had a Polar F7 but somehow lost the chest strap on my way home last week. The thing was hit or miss though. Was very finicky with working/not working. I would like it for running, mtg and moto...
No need to wear one. After 16 min.s of heavy riding my heart rate hits 190 and stays there!
10/12/2014 10:12pm
I have been using a Tomtom runner cardio. chose it as no chest strap required, so you can run it pretty much 23 / 7. Has gps track recording as well and also gives a pretty good analysis i.e. time in each zone in a bar graph, plus a line graph showing hr at every minute. Very happy with it, if only it could do auto lap record I would be over the moon.
IWreckALot
10/13/2014 4:57am
I wear the Garmin Forerunner 15. It measures all of the vital statistics and has a lap counter. I believe you can set it to treat every mile as a lap or you can designate the lap. You'll have to look into that for sure. This is my mountain bike ride from a weekend ago. There are a few other ways to view the data also. I like the Garmin more than I liked the polar I wore briefly.

My only complaint, is that the default exercise is running and you can't change it. So if you're in HRM mode, the calories should be calculated by your heart rate but for some reason this one calculates based on time and distance. Maybe it's intermittently losing signal to my HRM since I'm bouncing around all the time. If you cancel the GPS mode, it calculates calories on HRM which is the way it should be regardless. Anyways, I like this HRM overall and I do recommend it if you can get past the calorie miscounter. If I'm ever curious about calories, I take the HRM and plug it into an online calculator.

MXD
10/13/2014 5:07am
Ashleymx wrote:
Garmin Forerunner 310XT. Got mine off amazon for a good price. Perfect for MTB riding and running. I used my old Garmin Forerunner 305 for motocross...
Garmin Forerunner 310XT. Got mine off amazon for a good price. Perfect for MTB riding and running. I used my old Garmin Forerunner 305 for motocross and it was great and the 310XT is a newer version of it.
I have the same one and it works great for everything except moto. For some reason when I ride moto, my HR will show spikes way up into the 200's. It's obviously not correct. I assume it's picking up some of the "noise" from the engine or maybe my shirt flapping off of it is giving it a false reading. Have you ever seen the same issue? If I could get that sorted out it would be the ultimate tool.
IWreckALot
10/13/2014 7:40am
Ashleymx wrote:
Garmin Forerunner 310XT. Got mine off amazon for a good price. Perfect for MTB riding and running. I used my old Garmin Forerunner 305 for motocross...
MXD wrote:
I have the same one and it works great for everything except moto. For some reason when I ride moto, my HR will show spikes way...
I have the same one and it works great for everything except moto. For some reason when I ride moto, my HR will show spikes way up into the 200's. It's obviously not correct. I assume it's picking up some of the "noise" from the engine or maybe my shirt flapping off of it is giving it a false reading. Have you ever seen the same issue? If I could get that sorted out it would be the ultimate tool.
Just out of curiosity, how far into the 200's and how old are you?
MXD
10/13/2014 8:10am
Ashleymx wrote:
MXD wrote:
I have the same one and it works great for everything except moto. For some reason when I ride moto, my HR will show spikes way...
IWreckALot wrote:
I'm 40 and it gets into the mid 200's. I train a lot and I'm pretty in tune with my body so I'm sure it's incorrect. I road bike and mountain bike at least 3-4 times a week and I average about 70-100 miles combined a week (average road ride is 20-30 miles and average mtn bike ride is 10-12). I also play hockey twice a week. I wear my HRM for all of my activities and the highest I see off the MX bike is about 175.
shanhard
10/13/2014 11:07am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2014 11:10am
I had the same problem at the start of my rides with my Garmin HRM. After doing some research on the garmin forums and other sites it turned out to be static electricity that built up from my jersey rubbing against the receiver causing the dodgy readings (I was hitting 240bpm 100 metres into my ride). I fixed it by wetting my strap and chest with water before I put it on. Problem solved! I just need to remember to do it before i head off.
mark_swart
10/13/2014 11:36am
I run an older Garmin 405, picked it up for $50 on a neighborhood yardsale website. It's a GPS and gives laps, heartrate, speed at any given location on the track and automatically uploads exercises to the Garmin site when I walk back into the house. I put it on the crossbar when I ride. I'd be lost without it for both riding and running.
Example:
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/610490114
IWreckALot
10/13/2014 11:52am
MXD wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
MXD wrote:
I'm 40 and it gets into the mid 200's. I train a lot and I'm pretty in tune with my body so I'm sure it's incorrect...
I'm 40 and it gets into the mid 200's. I train a lot and I'm pretty in tune with my body so I'm sure it's incorrect. I road bike and mountain bike at least 3-4 times a week and I average about 70-100 miles combined a week (average road ride is 20-30 miles and average mtn bike ride is 10-12). I also play hockey twice a week. I wear my HRM for all of my activities and the highest I see off the MX bike is about 175.
Yeah that's not a realistic heart rate for sure. It definitely sounds like it's picking up some interference from something else. I was just asking because I've seen my HR get to 203 before during a race and it averaged 190 for the race I was able to get information on.

I'm a little behind you on the bicycle but on bicycle riding, I target about 165-175 on the road for about 90-120 minutes and it's a free for all on the off road. It stays about 180 off road. I have to cater my pace to the terrain around me. I'm not good at taking my time going up a hill.
kongols
10/13/2014 12:03pm
IWreckALot wrote:
I wear the Garmin Forerunner 15. It measures all of the vital statistics and has a lap counter. I believe you can set it to treat...
I wear the Garmin Forerunner 15. It measures all of the vital statistics and has a lap counter. I believe you can set it to treat every mile as a lap or you can designate the lap. You'll have to look into that for sure. This is my mountain bike ride from a weekend ago. There are a few other ways to view the data also. I like the Garmin more than I liked the polar I wore briefly.

My only complaint, is that the default exercise is running and you can't change it. So if you're in HRM mode, the calories should be calculated by your heart rate but for some reason this one calculates based on time and distance. Maybe it's intermittently losing signal to my HRM since I'm bouncing around all the time. If you cancel the GPS mode, it calculates calories on HRM which is the way it should be regardless. Anyways, I like this HRM overall and I do recommend it if you can get past the calorie miscounter. If I'm ever curious about calories, I take the HRM and plug it into an online calculator.

How old are you?
MXD
10/13/2014 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 10/13/2014 12:09pm
IWreckALot wrote:
MXD wrote:
I'm 40 and it gets into the mid 200's. I train a lot and I'm pretty in tune with my body so I'm sure it's incorrect...
IWreckALot wrote:
Yeah that's not a realistic heart rate for sure. It definitely sounds like it's picking up some interference from something else. I was just asking because...
Yeah that's not a realistic heart rate for sure. It definitely sounds like it's picking up some interference from something else. I was just asking because I've seen my HR get to 203 before during a race and it averaged 190 for the race I was able to get information on.

I'm a little behind you on the bicycle but on bicycle riding, I target about 165-175 on the road for about 90-120 minutes and it's a free for all on the off road. It stays about 180 off road. I have to cater my pace to the terrain around me. I'm not good at taking my time going up a hill.
On the road, I try to stay around 150-155 for the entire ride but I'm with you when it comes to mountain biking, it's a free for all. For me, mountain biking and hockey look very similar on my HR graph where I have spikes to max HR (around 175) and then quick drops back down to the low 110-120 range. Both hockey and mtn biking are great interval training. I've found that the steady HR of road biking is just as important as the interval training of mountain biking and hockey which is why I try to get an equal amount of both.
IWreckALot
10/13/2014 12:43pm
IWreckALot wrote:
I wear the Garmin Forerunner 15. It measures all of the vital statistics and has a lap counter. I believe you can set it to treat...

kongols wrote:
How old are you?
Just about to be 29. 6'0 and 215. Why do you ask? Think my HR is too high?

My HR has always been higher than the 220-age and my resting heart rate has always been a little high also from what I've read. I guess maybe my genetics make my heart go faster?

I'm still in the learning phase of how to use the HRM to develop a more beneficial cardio routine.
kongols
10/13/2014 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 10/13/2014 1:05pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Just about to be 29. 6'0 and 215. Why do you ask? Think my HR is too high? My HR has always been higher than the...
Just about to be 29. 6'0 and 215. Why do you ask? Think my HR is too high?

My HR has always been higher than the 220-age and my resting heart rate has always been a little high also from what I've read. I guess maybe my genetics make my heart go faster?

I'm still in the learning phase of how to use the HRM to develop a more beneficial cardio routine.
If I get my heart rate to a 200 I`d probably be dead with in a minute. Cool
For a past month and a half I`m doing low heart rate training where I keep my heart rate at 120-130 while running for a 60-90 minutes.. Last Saturday I did a 10 kilometer run where I just let myself go and my heart rate stayed between 160-170. For a few 100 yards I ran really fast and my HR jumped up to 175 and I felt huge discomfort. I`ll be doing low heart rate training through the winter and we`ll see how it goes. I`m 38
Brent
10/13/2014 2:45pm
Wahoo Fitness
MXD
10/13/2014 3:30pm
shanhard wrote:
I had the same problem at the start of my rides with my Garmin HRM. After doing some research on the garmin forums and other sites...
I had the same problem at the start of my rides with my Garmin HRM. After doing some research on the garmin forums and other sites it turned out to be static electricity that built up from my jersey rubbing against the receiver causing the dodgy readings (I was hitting 240bpm 100 metres into my ride). I fixed it by wetting my strap and chest with water before I put it on. Problem solved! I just need to remember to do it before i head off.
Thanks for the tip, that makes sense. I'll give that a try.
Mallet
10/13/2014 4:22pm
kongols wrote:
If I get my heart rate to a 200 I`d probably be dead with in a minute. B) For a past month and a half I`m...
If I get my heart rate to a 200 I`d probably be dead with in a minute. Cool
For a past month and a half I`m doing low heart rate training where I keep my heart rate at 120-130 while running for a 60-90 minutes.. Last Saturday I did a 10 kilometer run where I just let myself go and my heart rate stayed between 160-170. For a few 100 yards I ran really fast and my HR jumped up to 175 and I felt huge discomfort. I`ll be doing low heart rate training through the winter and we`ll see how it goes. I`m 38
You felt discomfort from activating a dormant glycolytic system. Most exercise physiologists advise engaging each of the 3 energy systems every 7 to 10 days. Even Arthur Lydiard, the father of LSD training, advised speed work year round. Most endurance athletes misinterpret his teachings. His 12 week base building called for 3 long runs, 1 tempo run, 1 speed workout, and 2 very easy runs for recovery. He had his athletes train every day. The speed work out was 10 to 20 sprints of 10 to 20 seconds, short duration, plenty of recovery between reps.
MXD
10/14/2014 6:04am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2014 6:07am
Mallet wrote:
You felt discomfort from activating a dormant glycolytic system. Most exercise physiologists advise engaging each of the 3 energy systems every 7 to 10 days. Even...
You felt discomfort from activating a dormant glycolytic system. Most exercise physiologists advise engaging each of the 3 energy systems every 7 to 10 days. Even Arthur Lydiard, the father of LSD training, advised speed work year round. Most endurance athletes misinterpret his teachings. His 12 week base building called for 3 long runs, 1 tempo run, 1 speed workout, and 2 very easy runs for recovery. He had his athletes train every day. The speed work out was 10 to 20 sprints of 10 to 20 seconds, short duration, plenty of recovery between reps.
I don't know much about fitness. All I know is what I feel in my own body but what you describe sounds like what I stumbled upon in my fitness by accident. I started out road biking which was a steady 150bmp for 90-120 minutes 3-4 times a week. I saw huge improvements in certain areas but almost no improvement in others. From there, I tried to intensify and diversify my activities to try and target something else. Admittedly, I didn't know what I was targeting I just knew that I would hit a wall when I exerted maximum effort. That led me to mountain biking. Mountain biking seemed to be the missing piece for me. Mountain biking is an easy way for me to get my heart on the rev limiter for a short period of time, recover and repeat. Now my heart feels efficient at the sustained 65%-75% of max and when I need busts up into the 90-100 percentile, I no longer bonk out. My recovery heart rate also shot through the roof. At 40 years old, I'm in the best shape of my entire life. I wish I figured this out and had this motivation 15 years ago.
kongols
10/14/2014 6:55am
Mallet wrote:
You felt discomfort from activating a dormant glycolytic system. Most exercise physiologists advise engaging each of the 3 energy systems every 7 to 10 days. Even...
Thanks. If only I knew what I know now a year ago. I feel like I wasted 70% of my efforts for nothing or even did myself harm.

Post a reply to: Which heart rate monitor do you guys use?

The Latest