When will Yamaha abandon the YZF engine design?

SweetDaddy
3/12/2015 4:50am Edited Date/Time 3/13/2015 7:55pm
It looked good on the drawing board, but it didn't take the industry by storm and the other manufacturers didn't copy it. It was supposed to make them handle better but they can't corner like a Suzuki, so what's the advantage?
|
nytsmaC
3/12/2015 5:00am
Advantages are the cleaner air filter location and straight intake with no side angles. TM has done the same thing without reversing the cylinder.
tomm55x
3/12/2015 5:01am
I don't think they will be abandoning it anytime soon, sure they have had some growing pains but that motor is awesome, in stock form it has tons of power, linear delivery, and they are getting the ergos better every year. Yamaha has also made it inexpensive for the consumer to map it without having to buy a ton of stuff to do so.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
3/12/2015 5:03am
SweetDaddy wrote:
It looked good on the drawing board, but it didn't take the industry by storm and the other manufacturers didn't copy it. It was supposed to...
It looked good on the drawing board, but it didn't take the industry by storm and the other manufacturers didn't copy it. It was supposed to make them handle better but they can't corner like a Suzuki, so what's the advantage?
Yeah, their 250F is a real failure with the new engine isn't it...
Randy Savage
3/12/2015 5:16am
SweetDaddy wrote:
It looked good on the drawing board, but it didn't take the industry by storm and the other manufacturers didn't copy it. It was supposed to...
These are the guys that think KTMs are hard to get parts for and use "Hodaka" in a sentence at least once per day.

The Shop

Crush
3/12/2015 5:38am
Don't think it's going anywhere considering how good the 250 is doing and the apparent massive improvement with the new model.

Remember how much everyone hated the 97 Cr250?
3/12/2015 5:39am
SweetDaddy wrote:
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Yeah, their 250F is a real failure with the new engine isn't it...
Totally haha. I just bought a brand new 14 YZ250f and it's sooooooo slow and the air filter is soooooooo hard to change and the power delivery is soooooooo rough. Wink
newmann
3/12/2015 5:46am
When will Kawasaki abandon the KXF engine design? You know it's bad when not even Mitch Payton can get them up front anymore.
Highsider
3/12/2015 5:48am
Love to see SweetDaddy's engineering credentials.
hillbilly
3/12/2015 5:50am
I waiting on a steering wheel instead of them damn handle bars.,be much safe,no bar end to the gut.
Randy Savage
3/12/2015 5:54am
hillbilly wrote:
I waiting on a steering wheel instead of them damn handle bars.,be much safe,no bar end to the gut.
assholes will probably text while racing.
hillbilly
3/12/2015 5:59am
hillbilly wrote:
assholes will probably text while racing.
Or stuff the airbag full of rags after it deploys casing a triple,you know how cheap mxers are,always calling around trying to beat a dealers price by a hundred bucks.
SweetDaddy
3/12/2015 6:00am
Good to ask a legit question and then get attacked!
Yamaha initially changed the design for handling purposes, not HP, and now their bikes don't handle any better than the others was the reason I asked.
circus
3/12/2015 6:07am
SweetDaddy wrote:
Good to ask a legit question and then get attacked! Yamaha initially changed the design for handling purposes, not HP, and now their bikes don't handle...
Yamaha initially changed the design for handling purposes, not HP, and now their bikes don't handle any better than the others was the reason I asked.
Makes you want to start another topic doesn't it! lol Dont take it to personal, then they will really come after ya. I think the bikes are coming around though, hard to judge when we none of us have a clue as to what JGR does as far as chassis goes.
hillbilly
3/12/2015 6:07am
SweetDaddy wrote:
Good to ask a legit question and then get attacked! Yamaha initially changed the design for handling purposes, not HP, and now their bikes don't handle...
A journeyman passes a champ and turns under him after a triple then leads 5 laps.

Quarter liter wins title.

Last year a dude beats the mega champ in mxgp in a late season race.

mehow2g
3/12/2015 6:09am
SweetDaddy wrote:
Fanboyism.
Moto75
3/12/2015 6:13am
SweetDaddy wrote:
I think you're stuck in 2012.
Rowlands
3/12/2015 6:22am
What makes the Suzuki turn so dam good ? Does it sacrifice anything that the other machines have ?
Anyhow the yamaha is an awesome bike and if set up correct it turns just as well as a KTM IMO
walleyeguy
3/12/2015 6:27am
Yamahas don't corner good? Are you one of the people from "The Returned". Have you rode a 14' YZ250F?
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
3/12/2015 6:41am
hillbilly wrote:
Yep. And they could add an airbag.
MotoX85
3/12/2015 6:42am
SweetDaddy wrote:
Abandon it???? There are top teams (Gp Yamaha team last year) and builders (Mitch Peyton) who say that everyone will eventually have to build something similar are get left behind. Almost all café style street bikes are downdraft intake designs and is pretty much the future for more engine power.
newmann
3/12/2015 6:59am
hillbilly wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Being a four stroke, it already comes with one. Oh wait, that's a gas bag.Laughing
hillbilly
3/12/2015 7:08am
hillbilly wrote:
GuyB wrote:
And turn indicators for the riders that swap lanes over small doubles,could save him from getting landed on,, ,blackflags and lawyer fees. ,
Ebs
3/12/2015 7:15am
Speaking of Yamaha engine design, when did they abandon the 5-valve head?
walleyeguy
3/12/2015 7:31am
14' I believe. When they redid everything else.
3/12/2015 7:35am
SweetDaddy wrote:
They handle great when you set them up right. Sag, rebound....etc.
TailSoHard
3/12/2015 7:36am
How long did it take another company to start making four-stroke MX bikes after Yamaha came out with the 400?? 5 years? People said the same thing when that bike came out.
holeshot100
3/12/2015 7:37am
Ignorant topic/ post of the year. Congrats...you are in first place!
mmain62
3/12/2015 7:41am
newmann wrote:
When will Kawasaki abandon the KXF engine design? You know it's bad when not even Mitch Payton can get them up front anymore.
I was just thinking that same thing. Although I do think Yamaha has something figured out . That said every brand has their moments I feel like its just a big circle it will all be different within a few years again.
MotoX85
3/12/2015 7:45am
I love my 14 450 and really have no idea what they are talking about with cornering. I can corner that thing just fine (not as good as a Suzuki however). I know I am not a pro or ride pro speed but I am a Vet A rider with the ability to get into 3rd gear. Next thing I hear all the time is how the brakes suck, damn if my brakes worked any better I would not be able to use them, damn near throw me over the bars now. I must have got a one off bike because my brakes are monsters.

The only thing I would really change is the radiator shrouds could be a little narrower but Cycra makes a kit that is a full inch narrower per side. Just have not broke down and gotten one.

Was hesitant to get a new 450 because of all the negativity but after the first day on the bike I confirmed never listen to propaganda off of the websites.
holeshot100
3/12/2015 7:48am
newmann wrote:
mmain62 wrote:
I was just thinking that same thing. Although I do think Yamaha has something figured out . That said every brand has their moments I feel...
I was just thinking that same thing. Although I do think Yamaha has something figured out . That said every brand has their moments I feel like its just a big circle it will all be different within a few years again.
A couple other things that just were a fad for Yamaha...... Monoshock, water cooling, and four strokes.

Post a reply to: When will Yamaha abandon the YZF engine design?

The Latest