When did a tabletop start counting as 2 jumps?

kott0n
Fantasy
3779th
3/20/2017 9:03pm
I thought it was just me saying what the hell when Ralph kept calling stuff quads. I just started watching SX again.

Single, double or triple has to do with the number of obstacles... a table top is just an obstacle.

The picture MX Guy linked is the epitome of a triple that happens to include a table top. No one should care the middle jump is a table top, its not relevant. Its leaving 1 obstacle, clearing a middle one and landing on a 3rd obstacle.. or 1+1+1.

jeffro503
3/20/2017 9:24pm
Falcon wrote:
OK guys, I'm going to pull rank on you here. Anyone under the age of 40 is not allowed to disagree. If you are old enough...
OK guys, I'm going to pull rank on you here. Anyone under the age of 40 is not allowed to disagree. If you are old enough and have a historical perspective, yet still disagree, of course chime in.

I count the takeoffs, not the landing zones, when considering a jump a double or triple. So, a tabletop followed by a single (or vice-versa) is a double. Two tabletops are a double. Three tabletops is a gnarly triple. It doesn't matter that you can land on top of the tabletop; it's still the same body of dirt. You need a second body of dirt to become a double, and a third to be a triple.

My reasoning comes from a lifetime of riding and racing, going back all the way to the early 1980s, and a having been a fan of motorcycles since the '70s. I don't know who the first guy was who jumped a double, (guessing it was Danny Chandler or some maniac like that,) but I do know we considered two jumps a double. Then, dudes started making other things into doubles. ("He totally doubled that!") Whoops could be doubled. "Those two bumps" could be doubled. "That roller after the tabletop... could you double over that?"
One day at my local track, Mike Craig (Christian's dad,) lined up two tabletops and turned them into a gigantic double. Did we call it a quad? No - there were not four jumps there; only two. It's a double.
Falcon said it perfect. Counting s table top as more then one jump...is retarded. It doesn't matter how long it is.

Count the take off ramps or the down side of the landings.

Is a 20' table a single or a double in some of your eyes? How many jumps are in a 60' , 80' or a 120'?

Goes along the lines of..." Every kid is a winner " attitude. " No kid....you lost , cause you suck compared to the kid who won "...get the fuck over it!
jeffro503
3/20/2017 9:25pm
kott0n wrote:
I thought it was just me saying what the hell when Ralph kept calling stuff quads. I just started watching SX again. Single, double or triple...
I thought it was just me saying what the hell when Ralph kept calling stuff quads. I just started watching SX again.

Single, double or triple has to do with the number of obstacles... a table top is just an obstacle.

The picture MX Guy linked is the epitome of a triple that happens to include a table top. No one should care the middle jump is a table top, its not relevant. Its leaving 1 obstacle, clearing a middle one and landing on a 3rd obstacle.. or 1+1+1.

Yes! This!
endoh935
3/20/2017 11:20pm
__/\__ = Single

__/\__/\__ = Double

__/\__/\__/\__ = Triple

__/\__/\__/\__/\__ = Quad

This is how I've always seen it, you either make it or you don't. Anything else is a sequence of..

The Shop

Skidaddle
3/21/2017 12:18pm
endoh935 wrote:
__/\__ = Single __/\__/\__ = Double __/\__/\__/\__ = Triple __/\__/\__/\__/\__ = Quad This is how I've always seen it, you either make it or you don't...
__/\__ = Single

__/\__/\__ = Double

__/\__/\__/\__ = Triple

__/\__/\__/\__/\__ = Quad

This is how I've always seen it, you either make it or you don't. Anything else is a sequence of..
Some on here think 1+1=3.
MX Guy
Fantasy
727th
3/21/2017 12:36pm
Skidaddle wrote:
Some on here think 1+1=3.
Some think 1+2=2 so who's dumber? Dry

Give it up bro. We'll agree to disagree.
RR61114
3/21/2017 12:59pm
Goes like this. A quad is based on how many landing points you are clearing in a section - a table is essentially a double - 1 take off point, 1 landing point.

A triple is when you land on the 2nd landing point. A quad is when you land on the 3rd landing point.

This is how I look at it.

jnickell
Fantasy
1836th
3/21/2017 2:03pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2017 2:05pm
One word describes the source of the thought that a single to table = a triple. That one word is "Millennial".

Do I get a participation ribbon for my comments?
peelout
3/21/2017 2:07pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2017 2:08pm
when there's a 5 page thread about counting then you know it's an issue. an epidemic really.

motorcrossers are funny
Skidaddle
3/21/2017 2:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2017 2:39pm
RR61114 wrote:
Goes like this. A quad is based on how many landing points you are clearing in a section - a table is essentially a double -...
Goes like this. A quad is based on how many landing points you are clearing in a section - a table is essentially a double - 1 take off point, 1 landing point.

A triple is when you land on the 2nd landing point. A quad is when you land on the 3rd landing point.

RR61114 wrote:

A triple has 3 landing points.
2 if you double single, or single double.
1 if you triple.

A table is nothing more than a long single. If you don't clear a table, you dont case a second jump.

Stay in school kids. Holy fuck.
brocster
3/21/2017 5:35pm
RR61114 wrote:
Goes like this. A quad is based on how many landing points you are clearing in a section - a table is essentially a double -...

Skidaddle wrote:
[i]RR61114 wrote: Goes like this. A quad is based on how many landing points you are clearing in a section - a table is essentially a...
RR61114 wrote:

A triple has 3 landing points.
2 if you double single, or single double.
1 if you triple.

A table is nothing more than a long single. If you don't clear a table, you dont case a second jump.

Stay in school kids. Holy fuck.
They are probably "sponsored" so yeah they should know...

Holy face! Is right

Post a reply to: When did a tabletop start counting as 2 jumps?

The Latest