When Kevin Windham Retires..

pie8man
7/13/2010 10:02am
You could turn that pic upside down and KW still likes like he is in the right riding position
dirthead1
7/13/2010 10:14am
As a rider, Windham does the best PR that this sport has ever seen.

He is an icon and the measure for all these other guys to strive to.
Outsider
7/13/2010 10:23am
BLAHBLAH wrote:
He should teach media classes for all the up and coming riders. I just read his Monday Conversation on RacerX and was quickly reminded of why...
He should teach media classes for all the up and coming riders. I just read his Monday Conversation on RacerX and was quickly reminded of why he is my favorite rider of all time. He is a professional among prefessional's, all these up and coming guys should take notes.

Go get em at Millville K-Dub

The Shop

mxtryon231
7/13/2010 10:35am
Watching K-Dub dominate at the Jeremy McGrath invitational a couple years back was a treat.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
7/13/2010 10:37am
It's just his personallity, he's a cool dude. He has lots of experience, maturity and a level head on his shoulders. He's a one of the greats.

I think it's awsome the spot he is in, if he wins - great! if he gets 5th - great! Millsaps wishes he could be so lucky with the fans.
Adam43
7/13/2010 11:06am
Ramrod wrote:
It's just his personallity, he's a cool dude. He has lots of experience, maturity and a level head on his shoulders. He's a one of the...
It's just his personallity, he's a cool dude. He has lots of experience, maturity and a level head on his shoulders. He's a one of the greats.

I think it's awsome the spot he is in, if he wins - great! if he gets 5th - great! Millsaps wishes he could be so lucky with the fans.
I think if Davi is still around in 2020 or so he will be held in a similar type of light. When a rider races for 10-15 years, their fanbase goes up tenfold. Watching someone grow from a total rookie to a seasoned vet is a neat thing to see.

Kevin's my favorite rider and always has been though.
mxerbear
7/13/2010 3:00pm
Its gonna be a sad day when he retires, he's great for the sport but i bet he'll still be around one way or another
uk125250
7/13/2010 3:11pm
Adam43 wrote:
I think if Davi is still around in 2020 or so he will be held in a similar type of light. When a rider races for...
I think if Davi is still around in 2020 or so he will be held in a similar type of light. When a rider races for 10-15 years, their fanbase goes up tenfold. Watching someone grow from a total rookie to a seasoned vet is a neat thing to see.

That's an unfair comparison for Davi. He's is extremely talented, but not in same class as Windham or Everts.
Adam43
7/13/2010 4:04pm
Adam43 wrote:
I think if Davi is still around in 2020 or so he will be held in a similar type of light. When a rider races for...

uk125250 wrote:
That's an unfair comparison for Davi. He's is extremely talented, but not in same class as Windham or Everts.
I'm not too sure about that. Davi's only been around for 5 years and at this stage in their careers, he and Windham were at almost identical spots. Their career arc is pretty close so far, both had a Lites SX title, handful of wins, and top 3 series finishes on big bikes.

I know its fashionable to hate on Millsaps, just like it was to hate Windham at one time.
lilbulld
7/13/2010 4:09pm
Yes, I've said it too before and I will say it again, the young guys out there need to be soaking up everything they can from KW.. Hell, he even had to show Bubbles how to get a damn assistant, took them a whole show, took him about two minutes.. The thing alot of the other riders need to pickup on is that KW has always been open and honest about everything, while always catering to fans while being one of the coolest nicest guys around, not just as a racer but as a person... These other guys need to take that from Kevin, don't be someone your not, don't just be yourself, learn how to become the best person you can be, really/ truly appreciate what you have and what you are doing, and then by all means just be yourself..
lilbulld
7/13/2010 4:12pm
Agreed.. People seem to forget how there were a lot of haters out there on KW at one time, saying a lot of the same things, that he didn't have the heart or the drive... Cased that nasty jump on a Zook, early semi-retirement, changed man, has been doing great ever since... Maybe that is what we will see from Davi when he gets back.. He's got all the talent in the world
sharkey
7/13/2010 4:14pm
first supercross i took my wife too when he was racing lites on a yamaha in seattle,. i think 96 he sat right in front of us after practice chatted with us for about 5 minutes. my wife thought it was cool , he was supernice even back then
calimxer91
7/13/2010 4:15pm
dirthead1 wrote:
As a rider, Windham does the best PR that this sport has ever seen. He is an icon and the measure for all these other guys...
As a rider, Windham does the best PR that this sport has ever seen.

He is an icon and the measure for all these other guys to strive to.
Totally agree.
observer
7/13/2010 4:21pm
KDub's been doing this for a long time. He's been around the block and knows how to handle it all in stride. He's got a great family life/marriage, prioritys straight, and has turned into a great elder spokesman for the sport.
It's hard not to really dig the guy...
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
7/13/2010 5:08pm
Huge KDUB fan. Not only because of his SICK smooth style, but also of his friendly cool cat personality. When he retires I will miss watching that style a lot.
dv12.com
Fantasy
148th
7/13/2010 5:35pm
Fastest guy not to win a major Ch'ship...
Best spoken rider in the history
Kinetic1
7/13/2010 5:41pm
Big praise from DV12.

Classy David, just classy.
FlaNard
7/13/2010 6:28pm
I hope someone out there who knows Kevin points him toward this thread. He is the man and has earned every bit of respect everyone is showing him. Kevin on his best day has always been hard for anyone to beat. When he was bad he was good. When he was good he was great. When he was great he was Kevin Windham.
WhKnuckle
7/13/2010 6:42pm
After all those MXA articles saying he "doesn't have enough heart" and "doesn't work hard enough", I wonder if he's ever tempted to send Jody a podium photo of his last win with "Kiss My Ass" on it? Probably not. He's nicer than I would be.
lilbulld
7/14/2010 8:46pm
dv12.com wrote:
Fastest guy not to win a major Ch'ship...
Best spoken rider in the history
There you go, DV sums it up best...
mertensmx365
7/14/2010 9:01pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
After all those MXA articles saying he "doesn't have enough heart" and "doesn't work hard enough", I wonder if he's ever tempted to send Jody a...
After all those MXA articles saying he "doesn't have enough heart" and "doesn't work hard enough", I wonder if he's ever tempted to send Jody a podium photo of his last win with "Kiss My Ass" on it? Probably not. He's nicer than I would be.
I'm assuming Kevin is smart enough not to read the garbage in MXA. On topic: I can't say anything else that hasn't already been said. The dude's a legend. A Motocross Hall of Fame shoe-in.
txmxer
7/14/2010 9:10pm
perumx wrote:
I just love that video.

I could watch Kevin ride for hours when he's riding like that. Just floating around a track. So smooth. Makes it look so easy.
jeffro503
7/14/2010 10:24pm
I can tell you guys one thing.....the day Kevin retires.....i'm taking a week off work because of the depression that will set in! I hope he NEVER quits man........the guy is a Legend no matter what anyone says. he is one of the best ( If not the VERY best ) skilled rider to ever slap a leg over a dirt bike. The last 10-12 years or so , I actually watched so many videos and races of his , I tried to emulate his riding style. You can learn so much by watching him ride it's unreal.

Oh yeah......do you guys remember what MC once said ?

Mc was asked by someone in an interview ( this is while he was racing against Kevin)........"If you could pick one thing you would like to be able to do in this sport...what would it be"?

His answer : " To be able to look through the eyes of Kevin Windham for just one day".

And that was coming from the most dominant SX rider of all time.
wildbill
7/14/2010 11:23pm
ya gotta love him. I've seen KW smoke RC a time or two...Cool

FlaNard
7/15/2010 12:15am
jeffro503 wrote:
I can tell you guys one thing.....the day Kevin retires.....i'm taking a week off work because of the depression that will set in! I hope he...
I can tell you guys one thing.....the day Kevin retires.....i'm taking a week off work because of the depression that will set in! I hope he NEVER quits man........the guy is a Legend no matter what anyone says. he is one of the best ( If not the VERY best ) skilled rider to ever slap a leg over a dirt bike. The last 10-12 years or so , I actually watched so many videos and races of his , I tried to emulate his riding style. You can learn so much by watching him ride it's unreal.

Oh yeah......do you guys remember what MC once said ?

Mc was asked by someone in an interview ( this is while he was racing against Kevin)........"If you could pick one thing you would like to be able to do in this sport...what would it be"?

His answer : " To be able to look through the eyes of Kevin Windham for just one day".

And that was coming from the most dominant SX rider of all time.
I remember Pastrana used to say that Windham did things on the Suzuki test track that nobody else on the planet could do. He said he was so much better then him that it made him sick.
brocster
7/15/2010 6:11am
got to watch him ride from when he was a tot on a pw50. what a treat to be able to still watch him ride and connect with the fans. he still practices at the local tracks from time to time, like last weekend, and the word spread like wild fire and the locals got the treat of Kevin Windham both on and off the track...
toroP
7/15/2010 8:12am
Ironic.
People talk about how great KW is, but then discredit him by saying Reed can only win championships if the fast guys are injured.

Post a reply to: When Kevin Windham Retires..

The Latest