Wheels for a truck??

newmann
7/23/2012 4:00pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2012 10:17am
Been looking for a not so expensive truck lately for the youngest son and was wearing thin on the 100,000 mile vehicles that people still think are worth a f'n fortune. Then my go to guy at one of the local dealers calls me up with a leftover 2011 base model stripper that has been growing mold on the back of the lot. It's so stripped down it isn't even funny, but it's a 4x4 and has a/c, auto and a cd player. Over 30% off sticker so I'll be able to do a couple upgrades and still be under budget for a brand new truck with full warranty. Front end sits way low so a 2 1/2 leveling kit has been ordered and I need to get some wheels and tires on it before the stockers get any wear as I have someone wanting them in new condition. I've looked at some new aluminum factory take offs but haven't come across any that have any all terrain tires on them and some of the takeoffs are crazy expensive. I need a few suggestions for some wheels and tires. Looking for something fairly inexpensive as I pretty much hate the idea of aftermarket wheels in the first place.

Won't even consider chrome as chrome plated alloys tend corrode and flake. Black?? Is it just me or is that trend getting played out already? Any wheel companies out there that support moto? Here it is. Suggestions?

|
pete24
7/23/2012 4:05pm
http://www.bigwheels.net/, just figure out what you want to spend they have it, i got a couple sets from these guys
Switch
7/23/2012 4:08pm
I found a set of aluminum polished factory take-offs on a dodge forum for $250 shipped to my door. A new set of 285/70-17 BFG all terrain's and a 2 inch leveling kit later, the truck looks 100% different.

How old is he? Black still looks good on the right truck. If its a true base model, you can easily find a chrome grill for cheap to really dress it up.
FastEddy
Fantasy
955th
7/23/2012 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2012 4:13pm
I've wrote off the aluminum & chrome type rims on any of my boat trailers.
All I use these days is Galvanized Steel. I use Diesel to clean them.

You might want to do some searching around for some for Galvanized truck rims....(I would assume someone makes them).They will last forever. They look good if you keep them clean. Just find some decent lugs & center caps for them.
They wont rust or pit in sand,mud,water,salt water ect.. Tough as hell when you hit a curb also. Smile

I would also stay away from powder coated or anodized rims also or anything painted.

The Shop

Wandell
7/23/2012 7:20pm
If you want plain, some of the black steel or aluminum wheels from 4WheelParts are hard to beat. If you want something a little flashier, try rimzoneonline.com. As for companies that support moto, check out KMC.
Harry_Gray
7/23/2012 9:23pm
Wandell wrote:
If you want plain, some of the black steel or aluminum wheels from 4WheelParts are hard to beat. If you want something a little flashier, try...
If you want plain, some of the black steel or aluminum wheels from 4WheelParts are hard to beat. If you want something a little flashier, try rimzoneonline.com. As for companies that support moto, check out KMC.
I agree w/ the KMC wheels, not only are they a supporter of moto, but they make a fairly sturdy wheel that can handle some weight. If you plan on doing any towing w/ the truck then I'd get a tire w a D or E rated sidewall. I'm sure you could go up to a 295/70/17 w/ the leveling kit. Nitto Terra Grapplers on some KMC's, would look good and hold up. That's the way I'd go if it were my truck...
GIwasB4
7/23/2012 9:48pm
newmann wrote:
Been looking for a not so expensive truck lately for the youngest son and was wearing thin on the 100,000 mile vehicles that people still think...
Been looking for a not so expensive truck lately for the youngest son and was wearing thin on the 100,000 mile vehicles that people still think are worth a f'n fortune. Then my go to guy at one of the local dealers calls me up with a leftover 2011 base model stripper that has been growing mold on the back of the lot. It's so stripped down it isn't even funny, but it's a 4x4 and has a/c, auto and a cd player. Over 30% off sticker so I'll be able to do a couple upgrades and still be under budget for a brand new truck with full warranty. Front end sits way low so a 2 1/2 leveling kit has been ordered and I need to get some wheels and tires on it before the stockers get any wear as I have someone wanting them in new condition. I've looked at some new aluminum factory take offs but haven't come across any that have any all terrain tires on them and some of the takeoffs are crazy expensive. I need a few suggestions for some wheels and tires. Looking for something fairly inexpensive as I pretty much hate the idea of aftermarket wheels in the first place.

Won't even consider chrome as chrome plated alloys tend corrode and flake. Black?? Is it just me or is that trend getting played out already? Any wheel companies out there that support moto? Here it is. Suggestions?

PC
7/24/2012 10:17am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2012 10:23am
I bought the same truck last year. I wasn't after a Dodge, but less than $23k for a V8 4WD w/ 100k mile warranty changed my mind. It just rolled 9k miles and no problems to report. I would have loved the hemi, but they weren't slinging those for cheap and the 4.7L pulls my boat and dirt bikes just fine.

Those plain steel wheels were an eyesore. I bought a brand new 2nd set off Craigslist for $50, had them powdercoated black and then had my original tires and TPMS swapped over to the new rims. Probably cost me $400 for the rims, powdercoating and tire swap. I then found some OEM running boards from a mega cab on Craigs for $100, cut them to proper size and installed. Its no show winner, but I think it was $500 well spent.

I would love some real rims and tires, but dont want to kill the already-bad gas mileage. A leveling kit would be real nice. What did you end up ordering? And does it void the warranty?

Post a reply to: Wheels for a truck??

The Latest