What's up with Webb?

davistld01
So...is Cooper Webb really the arrogant jerk he is made out to be by a number of people around here, or simply an aggressive, competitive motocross racer that doesn't pander to political correctness? I don't know the guy...heck, I've never even met him...but he's being compared to Damon Bradshaw & Bob Hannah because of his no-effs-given riding style and readiness to say what's on his mind, no matter who cares. He certainly has his enemies on the track, and seems to enjoy stirring up controversy.

What's up with Cooper Webb anyway?
|
peelout
7/28/2016 1:16pm
i'm sure he's a regular dude away from the track, but his interviews and his smirk comes across as an entitled little twerp.

other than that, the dude knows how to twist the throttle with the best of them. his race craft is impressive.
Ted722
7/28/2016 1:35pm Edited Date/Time 7/28/2016 1:36pm
Everybody has their different styles and if it bothers other riders and their fans that's their problem. He's 20 and is working his ass off to be the best and the results speaks for themselves. This sport's all about confidence and sometimes arrogance and motocross go hand in hand.
MXD
7/28/2016 1:41pm
One of the key components in most peoples dominance is a bit of swagger. That can often be misconstrued as arrogance. I can only think of 1 or 2 guys who have succeeded at this level without it. I would say he's fitting right in with past champions. I'm sure he's a good dude off the track.

The Shop

DoctorJD
7/28/2016 1:51pm
Coop can be a knucklehead, but he's growing on me. The kids style on the bike, as well as the heart that he's shown, is slowing turning me. I mean the kid rode with a broken wrist for the first half of the season! My son had the same break, and was in a cast for three months. Pretty bad ass if you ask me.

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/28/2016 1:59pm
DoctorJD wrote:
Coop can be a knucklehead, but he's growing on me. The kids style on the bike, as well as the heart that he's shown, is slowing...
Coop can be a knucklehead, but he's growing on me. The kids style on the bike, as well as the heart that he's shown, is slowing turning me. I mean the kid rode with a broken wrist for the first half of the season! My son had the same break, and was in a cast for three months. Pretty bad ass if you ask me.

Same scenario at my house. Doing what he has done with that injury is virtually unheard of. That video is incredible!
RCB33
Fantasy
118th
7/28/2016 2:04pm
I just know that Cooper was the guy who made the most time for the fans at washougal when I I was up that way 2 years ago. He isn't a robot and doesn't try to be one...I like it.
MX_Andrew83
7/28/2016 2:04pm
I've known Coop since he was three years old, we used to ride a halfpipe his parents had built in the yard just about everyday after school. He was a great kid with a great attitude and would even come jump his 12" mongoose bicycle in the pond with us.

I think a lot of what comes off as arrogance is just being from Eastern NC. It's a proud bunch of people from that area in the state and we certainly don't take trash from anyone. He loves riding and wants to be the best, I don't see the problem with that, I've watched him pound out laps on a ttr 90 just so he could ride.

He's still young, a lot of were full of piss and vinegar at that point in our lives I'm sure he'll mature.
TSCHAM101
7/28/2016 2:09pm
DoctorJD wrote:
Coop can be a knucklehead, but he's growing on me. The kids style on the bike, as well as the heart that he's shown, is slowing...

kzizok wrote:
Same scenario at my house. Doing what he has done with that injury is virtually unheard of. That video is incredible!
i cant even corner that good with 2 hands.. and hes essentially doing it with 1 hand and 1 foot.. because he always has atleast a foot out..

i think he is making MX popular if you ask me.. controversy always brings viewers.. Grow the sport coop!
some may think its dirty and thats fine, i personally could careless if the guy is a prick or not.. but it sure is fun to watch.. unlike the boring as hell 450 class for the past 4 years or so.. 1 guy takes off and dominates while others fight for 2nd like last year when dungey won.. battles are like almost non existent in that class.. i literally fall asleep when i try to watch the 450 class.. 1 really fast guy, all the rest look like robots with the same lines, and pace..

im not a die hard 2 stroke guy, but lets face it, 2 stroke racing was the best racing to watch.. theres a reason why most pros say they like watching the early 2000's races...
ga_pike
7/28/2016 2:09pm
Being compared to Bradshaw and Hannah... is that a bad thing? Not in my book.

JB 19
7/28/2016 2:18pm
He's kind of like that wild friend who is mostly entertaining and fun to have around, but on occasion takes things too far and forces everyone to turn their head and act like they didn't see what he just did.

Like when he gets all lit up and makes a fat chick joke.....in front your buddies chubby girlfriend.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
7/28/2016 2:22pm
I've known Coop since he was three years old, we used to ride a halfpipe his parents had built in the yard just about everyday after...
I've known Coop since he was three years old, we used to ride a halfpipe his parents had built in the yard just about everyday after school. He was a great kid with a great attitude and would even come jump his 12" mongoose bicycle in the pond with us.

I think a lot of what comes off as arrogance is just being from Eastern NC. It's a proud bunch of people from that area in the state and we certainly don't take trash from anyone. He loves riding and wants to be the best, I don't see the problem with that, I've watched him pound out laps on a ttr 90 just so he could ride.

He's still young, a lot of were full of piss and vinegar at that point in our lives I'm sure he'll mature.
Well said, goes right along with everything I have ever heard "locally" about him!
kongols
7/28/2016 2:23pm
I was an instant fan after his performances on a 450 last year.
7/28/2016 2:28pm
ga_pike wrote:

He's always reminded me of Bradshaw for some reason.
MX114
7/28/2016 2:29pm
Coop is my favorite rider. He has a throwback style and reminds me allot of Bradshaw. Kid don't take no shit and he isn't scared to bang bars with anyone at anytime. It's awesome to see a guy with some personality. He may come across as arrogant to some but that's confidence and at there level that's what makes the difference. He'll mature with age
MX114
7/28/2016 2:30pm
ga_pike wrote:

He's always reminded me of Bradshaw for some reason.
Ditto haha. Didn't see your reply at first
Torco1
7/28/2016 2:37pm
He's basically just a kid that gets to travel the country racing dirtbikes....and is paid pretty well for doing it. He looks to me like he's enjoying the hell out of what he is doing right now and is having as much fun as he can while the ride lasts. I look forward to his interviews......good or bad, he entertains me more than anyone else right now.
olds cool
7/28/2016 2:48pm
Yea the little brat lapped me on the 3rd lap of a 5 lap moto a few years back at Windy Hill. Schoolboy class combined w/ 50+. Schoolboy started first, of course. Didn't even say "excuse me sir" when he blew by me. No respect for senior citizens...Silly
BigDaddyG
7/28/2016 2:59pm
Coop's a bad dude. He has that old school mentality and isn't afraid to speak his mind. He wears his heart on his sleeve and has more desire and will in his pinky finger than most people have in their whole body. I personally think he a refreshing and I like his interviews. He's just a normal kid who doesn't take shit and wants to be the best. That's not arrogance, that's intensity.

dboivin
7/28/2016 3:08pm Edited Date/Time 7/28/2016 3:08pm
until he shows up to a race passing out obituaries of his closest (living) competitor, he's no bob hannah.
plowboy
7/28/2016 3:17pm
I really dig the kid. Recent events have me scratching my head (Jmart parked out back of the team rig). I hope he's not the reason for this. Doesn't mean I'd start hating him but I wouldn't root for him. He'll be fine.
MX690
7/28/2016 4:01pm
I like the kid, he's aggressive but not dirty aggressive. Kid kills it on a 450 he's going to open some eyes next year.
Sully22
7/28/2016 4:14pm
davistld01 wrote:
So...is Cooper Webb really the arrogant jerk he is made out to be by a number of people around here, or simply an aggressive, competitive motocross...
So...is Cooper Webb really the arrogant jerk he is made out to be by a number of people around here, or simply an aggressive, competitive motocross racer that doesn't pander to political correctness? I don't know the guy...heck, I've never even met him...but he's being compared to Damon Bradshaw & Bob Hannah because of his no-effs-given riding style and readiness to say what's on his mind, no matter who cares. He certainly has his enemies on the track, and seems to enjoy stirring up controversy.

What's up with Cooper Webb anyway?
I'll be the first person to say Webb is amazing on a motorcycle, he's super fast, has style for days, and he can run through the pack like only few guys can, but I cringe just about every time he's asked a question and opens his mouth. Loved Bradshaw, on the track he was my favorite rider, off the track he was super cool to talk to. I met him a few times at Yamaha events, I raced amateurs with his brother and got to know the family a little bit, they were super cool and way down to earth. Hannah said what was on his mind but didn't come across like a total punk when doing it. Not sure where all the comparison comes from, I see no similarities between Webb and Bradshaw or Hannah other than they were all fast on a scooter.
hvaughn88
7/28/2016 4:15pm
I like him. I like JMart, too. It takes all kinds and I appreciate the variety.
dr516
7/28/2016 4:17pm
Love that kid but comparing him to Hannah pffft please Hannah is king.
DanDunes818
7/28/2016 4:38pm
I think the kid is young, ultra competitive, extremely confident, driven, emotional, expects to only win and has no time for the so-called media filter that most riders use when talking to press. That combination can be seen as cocky and arrogant or whatever, but I see it as "real". I see nothing wrong with Cooper and if we had more "real" personalities this sport would be so much more popular.

You can read Cooper's post-race press conference interview from Washougal here. I asked 3-4 questions in it, but I think what GuyB said in the interview is so true. "I want to let you know, we like unedited Cooper too.:"
7/28/2016 4:54pm
I've come up with a theory, some of you like his personality, some of you dont like his personality and some of us are sitting on a fence scratching our arse.

Just a theory!
machine
7/28/2016 5:05pm Edited Date/Time 7/28/2016 5:06pm
MXD wrote:
One of the key components in most peoples dominance is a bit of swagger. That can often be misconstrued as arrogance. I can only think of...
One of the key components in most peoples dominance is a bit of swagger. That can often be misconstrued as arrogance. I can only think of 1 or 2 guys who have succeeded at this level without it. I would say he's fitting right in with past champions. I'm sure he's a good dude off the track.
Yep, you have to have a confidence to with at this level, all riders don't have to be nerdy little geeks like "some" of those in the top 5. I like his style, even though he has toned it down some since going to Europe and racing..haha. They always say 90% of racers are mentally beat before the gate drops, you never have to worry about that with Coop.
Sully22
7/28/2016 5:07pm
I've come up with a theory, some of you like his personality, some of you dont like his personality and some of us are sitting on...
I've come up with a theory, some of you like his personality, some of you dont like his personality and some of us are sitting on a fence scratching our arse.

Just a theory!
I think you nailed it. I could be wrong, but I think you're spot on...
machine
7/28/2016 5:09pm
DoctorJD wrote:

wow!..thats freakin awesome. shows you how bad he wants this outdoor title to complete his 250 trophy case.

Post a reply to: What's up with Webb?

The Latest