What makes "A-Kit" suspension so good?

Forgive my ignorance, but I would think after many years of data gathering the suspension manufacturers would have figured out what works and what doesnt. Physics are physics and at the end of the day the suspension just needs to maintain a certain compression/rebound speed in various scenarios. So what makes A-Kit suspension so much better than, say, a simple revalve and respring of the stock components? Doesn't it just come down to suspension speed at various force levels? Does A Kit suspension just offer more fine tuning/adjustment than a high speed and low speed valving stack? Is there variable speed stacks? Doesn't it just all come down to spring force curves and damping forces?
|
8/21/2016 2:19am
That is a good question and probbaly the most important aspect of an MX bike in terms of moving it forward in performance. There are a lot of 10-15 year old bikes out there that have enough power and handle well enough to get the job done and the newer bikes are not leaps and bounds ahead of them. It is the suspension, especially the fork where even the latest bikes dont exactly come very close to a good, well set up works fork, in all situations, even if they have gotten better.

Many will tell you it is the coatings and tolerances but it is more than that. I have a pre-A kit Showa works fork and we took it apart to compare with a stock Showa fork and it was hard to see any major physical differences. The internals were kashima coated and all, but one would expect to see more of a difference to account for the better performance.. the performance I speak if is a plush fork that just doesnt bottom as hard or as easily as most stock forks. It is harder to get both in a stock fork and the coatings dont account for it.

I once heard an explanation that the A-kits's bigger valves allow for bigger diameter shims which help make the stroke smoother with less spike when the shims begin to lift. This suspension guy said that an important goal in suspension tuning is tuning out this spike when the shims begin to lift. Larger diameter dampers with softer shims equals a more variable and better feel than a smaller diameter damper with stiffer shim stacks. This relates to what suspension tuners talk about when they tell you that an A-kit offers more “tunining options” because of the bigger dampers.

He went on to say that “float gap” is another critical setting. “Too tight and it’s harsh, too wide and you “waste stroke” before the dampening kicks in. With bigger shims, you can keep the gap on the tighter side, but the edges somewhat softer, and still have ample surface for progressive and smooth high speed dampening".

The above explanation was the best explanation I have ever gotten on why the A-kit can work better than a production fork.

mike
Osaka627
8/21/2016 3:22am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2016 3:44am
Not familiar personally the new stuff like the 53MM Air Fork KTM runs or even the 47MM that Roczen runs, but to put it easily simply internals, and size usually. For instance KYB won't even sell you oversized stuff unless you you are related to a Maeda I bet, and if you aren't you're gonna have to settle for "B-Kit" which means interior kashima coating, internals, bottoming cones, etc. The average rider does not need a-kit and the above average rider or "fast" local pro does not need it. In fact true over sized a kit isn't really that necessary unless perhaps you're a distance jumper, race sx, freestyle, or you still have a steel frame bike. So for example if someone has an old set say from 1999 that wouldn't matter either. Because they weren't twin chambered yet wich is was the current YZ lineup has on them. I can say that for a fact I believe simply by looking at old photographs of all the factory bikes with enzo sub tanks not very well hidden behind the number plates. Those would be nearly useless on a dual chamber fork because that's what they're trying mimic. It allows you to run a higher oil height but retain plushness. Next it doesn't matter who the hell you are if the valving and setup is off. Read any article about RC's 02-03 bikes and you'll learn that any OEM showroom bike would have worked better than that thing. I believe James has a little of that problem still too considering he still runs a ton of sag and a front fork that I haven't seen move past half stroke in years. It's funny too because you could perhaps make a two hour highlight film of just James washing his front end because it most likely feels like riding with a flat front tire on one of the best turning bikes ever made, or maybe he's just worried he may get some head shake and get slammed like he did back in 12 nationals. I like to think he rides so much SX that when he gets on an MX bike it feels like a low riding water bed. Who knows. Honda/Suzukis kinda mimic their cornering habits so you want a well balanced bike. Kawi/Yami are a bit of a twist your hip and turn your shoulder to initiate. The brands are total opposites in feel. the twist your shoulder lean and lean your hips type of the Suzuki/Honda explain it. But some are more stable and some turn better; usually don't get both. If you read what I said above you'll understand Tomac & his struggles this year as well.

But tbh its internals, size, and quality of them.

1 click can be felt in some setups by whomever. Factory's stuff very well might be 1/4 of a click in 1 versus what I just said

or 2 1/4 in 1 against the non factory stuff.

depending on the shock body, bladder, size, and valving of it. It's the little things, and unlimited budget is where they win.

Everything ran on a 250F in the pro ranks can be bought in America. It even can't cost more than I think $$8k?? Good luck finding decent triple clamps. That's usually the hardest part. But boy do the fork lugs look purrtttty. But with 3D printing CNC machines billet isn't that rare or expensive to produce hopefully stock oem stuff will get them soon PC showa kit and you're in business. Along with the clamps, and when it's time to service them only they can do it. They won't sell the bigger internals to anyone but their team and support riders. I remember reading a while back that FCHonda runs stock tubes but internals off their shelf that they sell and offer. But tbh everyone says that the YZ's are basically factory suspension stock, and that could be wrong they may actually be better than factory stuff because of valving depending on person and riding type. TM's come with an identical fork and they get trashed on. Why?? Valving it's simply setup and valving. Yamaha has a deal with KYB that allows them to get exclusive rights to that valving setup on all their bikes and no one else. They did offer a ti shock spring there for a while too. Saved weight but was quit touchy and didn't exactly break in.
Osaka627
8/21/2016 3:23am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2016 4:04am
That is a good question and probbaly the most important aspect of an MX bike in terms of moving it forward in performance. There are a...
That is a good question and probbaly the most important aspect of an MX bike in terms of moving it forward in performance. There are a lot of 10-15 year old bikes out there that have enough power and handle well enough to get the job done and the newer bikes are not leaps and bounds ahead of them. It is the suspension, especially the fork where even the latest bikes dont exactly come very close to a good, well set up works fork, in all situations, even if they have gotten better.

Many will tell you it is the coatings and tolerances but it is more than that. I have a pre-A kit Showa works fork and we took it apart to compare with a stock Showa fork and it was hard to see any major physical differences. The internals were kashima coated and all, but one would expect to see more of a difference to account for the better performance.. the performance I speak if is a plush fork that just doesnt bottom as hard or as easily as most stock forks. It is harder to get both in a stock fork and the coatings dont account for it.

I once heard an explanation that the A-kits's bigger valves allow for bigger diameter shims which help make the stroke smoother with less spike when the shims begin to lift. This suspension guy said that an important goal in suspension tuning is tuning out this spike when the shims begin to lift. Larger diameter dampers with softer shims equals a more variable and better feel than a smaller diameter damper with stiffer shim stacks. This relates to what suspension tuners talk about when they tell you that an A-kit offers more “tunining options” because of the bigger dampers.

He went on to say that “float gap” is another critical setting. “Too tight and it’s harsh, too wide and you “waste stroke” before the dampening kicks in. With bigger shims, you can keep the gap on the tighter side, but the edges somewhat softer, and still have ample surface for progressive and smooth high speed dampening".

The above explanation was the best explanation I have ever gotten on why the A-kit can work better than a production fork.

mike
Didn't read this before my post. The two of ours should be part a then part b but it's backwards =p lol.

I also do agree that 10-15 year old fine statement. Best bike I've ever owned out of the box suspension and just overall was an 06 YZ 125. Best bike after setting it up would be a 06 RM 250.

And best four stroke I've ever ridden was an 08 Honda with true b kit on it. Very very very well balanced bike and above average on nearly every measurable trait.

250f class doesn't matter it's all about hp. But just remember on your style and know two turn while two others don't but they're stable

I believe everything he said is pretty much correct. But like I said not familiar with air stuff. I'm just as ex racer who was fortunate enough to ride and race with most this stuff we are discussing, but didn't know what or where anything went but the "gas and water" till after I stopped riding
davis224
Fantasy
165th
8/21/2016 5:46am
All I know is, the one time I got to ride on Pro Circuit A-kit, it was unbelievable. I thought my Enzo was good, but I could barely feel any if the bumps on the very rough track. It almost felt too soft at first, but I couldn't get it to bottom either. If I were gettin g back into racing seriously, it would be money well spent over a pipe or rims

The Shop

downard254
8/21/2016 6:00am
What floors me is how much better the new stuff is compared to the older stuff, yet everyone (well, not everyone) sure has issues with their forks or setup. Seems the old school boys just rode the bike. I think I remember reading where RV was pretty good about finding a decent setting and just leaving it alone. There must be some good feeling about having a consistent setup that you know how it will react, and then just riding around any shortcomings.
Zycki11
8/21/2016 7:24am
downard254 wrote:
What floors me is how much better the new stuff is compared to the older stuff, yet everyone (well, not everyone) sure has issues with their...
What floors me is how much better the new stuff is compared to the older stuff, yet everyone (well, not everyone) sure has issues with their forks or setup. Seems the old school boys just rode the bike. I think I remember reading where RV was pretty good about finding a decent setting and just leaving it alone. There must be some good feeling about having a consistent setup that you know how it will react, and then just riding around any shortcomings.
Say hello to Roczen.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
8/21/2016 7:36am
I'm no pro rider by any means and have been able to ride 3 sets of different forks on my KTM back to back at the track and the difference was very very noticeable. Revalved WP 4CS, WP converted to Showa internals and WP cone valves.

langhammx
Fantasy
455th
8/21/2016 10:12am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2016 1:01pm
That is a good question and probbaly the most important aspect of an MX bike in terms of moving it forward in performance. There are a...

mike
Kashima internals ? I've owned my share of A-Kit suspension over the years, but I don't remember any of the internals being coated with Kashima.... DLC, yes.
Edit- I when I posted this, I wasn't doubting you. I just wanted to clarify that, in case you perceived it that way... I had never heard of Cashima internals, but by no means do I know much about the specifics of the internals. I drop my stuff off and pick it up when's it's ready to go. I wish I knew more and could at least service them myself, but I never had the time or desire to learn. I did see the inside of a set of Cone Valve forks that I had last year and their was no Cashima in there, but I believe they have some sort of hard Annodizing or maybe a type of DLC on some of the internals. The Showa stuff I've owned or the KYB stuff my son has now might have Cashima coatings inside ?

The A-Kit suspension is only as good as the setup. If it's not set up properly for YOU, it's not going to work properly and you're wasting your money buying them. I've only purchased 2 sets of brand new SHOWA kit suspension and they were for my son, who could benefit from them at the time. We got a couple a B-Kit sets for him in the past as well and they were set up by RG3('06 RMZ250). These were all very good and were a big help for my son, who was racing the A class at the time. The following year, the bikes changed and the shock wouldn't fit the new bikes. I sold the A-Kit sets and returned the B-Kits to the team and I had Enzo valve and spring the stock forks/ shock until I could get some new kit stuff for the new model ('07 RMZ250) I was shocked when he came in after his first Moto on the bike. He told me that they felt every bit as good as the RG3 A-Kit and B-Kit stuff that he had been racing with all year. I figured it was just the new bike feel and he was just satisfied with them, which was great and all, but I couldn't wait to get the new A-Kit stuff on the bike to see how he felt then. I bought another set of slightly used forks and a new shock and had them set up from the guy I bought them from, who worked at Factory Connection. When we went riding for the first time, we were messing with them all day to try and find the right settings for him. We had gotten 4 more bikes from Suzuki and I put the forks that Enzo had already done, onto one of the new bikes. We took that bike along with the bike that he had with the A-Kit on it and after riding back to back on a rough day at Glen Helen, he said he wanted to race with the stuff that Enzo had revalved. It really is all about the suspension being properly setup for the person riding it.
hollifield
8/21/2016 10:14am
I'm no pro rider by any means and have been able to ride 3 sets of different forks on my KTM back to back at the...
I'm no pro rider by any means and have been able to ride 3 sets of different forks on my KTM back to back at the track and the difference was very very noticeable. Revalved WP 4CS, WP converted to Showa internals and WP cone valves.

I'm no pro rider either but I could not agree more with this statement. I recently bought the WP Cone Valve forks and Trax Shock for my 2015 Honda CRF450. Wow! What a night and day difference between stock suspension and A-Kit suspension. Just to note the stock suspension had been revalved per my specs too so it wasn't bone stock. The A-Kit suspension is better in every way versus OEM! It turns better, tracks better and I'm much less tired, versus OEM.

This is the first time I have ever had A-Kit stuff and after having it I will never go back.

Hell first time I rode new suspension it wasn't even broken in and it was 100 times better. Had a huge smile on my face!

Buy A-Kit stuff if you can make it happen.
8/21/2016 10:51am
I'm no pro rider by any means and have been able to ride 3 sets of different forks on my KTM back to back at the...

hollifield wrote:
I'm no pro rider either but I could not agree more with this statement. I recently bought the WP Cone Valve forks and Trax Shock for...
I'm no pro rider either but I could not agree more with this statement. I recently bought the WP Cone Valve forks and Trax Shock for my 2015 Honda CRF450. Wow! What a night and day difference between stock suspension and A-Kit suspension. Just to note the stock suspension had been revalved per my specs too so it wasn't bone stock. The A-Kit suspension is better in every way versus OEM! It turns better, tracks better and I'm much less tired, versus OEM.

This is the first time I have ever had A-Kit stuff and after having it I will never go back.

Hell first time I rode new suspension it wasn't even broken in and it was 100 times better. Had a huge smile on my face!

If you read more carefully, I you will note that I am talking about my PRE-A kit Showa works fork. Not an A-Kit Showa.
H4L
8/21/2016 11:05am

mike
langhammx wrote:
Kashima internals ? I've owned my share of A-Kit suspension over the years, but I don't remember any of the internals being coated with Kashima.... DLC...
Kashima internals ? I've owned my share of A-Kit suspension over the years, but I don't remember any of the internals being coated with Kashima.... DLC, yes.
Edit- I when I posted this, I wasn't doubting you. I just wanted to clarify that, in case you perceived it that way... I had never heard of Cashima internals, but by no means do I know much about the specifics of the internals. I drop my stuff off and pick it up when's it's ready to go. I wish I knew more and could at least service them myself, but I never had the time or desire to learn. I did see the inside of a set of Cone Valve forks that I had last year and their was no Cashima in there, but I believe they have some sort of hard Annodizing or maybe a type of DLC on some of the internals. The Showa stuff I've owned or the KYB stuff my son has now might have Cashima coatings inside ?

The A-Kit suspension is only as good as the setup. If it's not set up properly for YOU, it's not going to work properly and you're wasting your money buying them. I've only purchased 2 sets of brand new SHOWA kit suspension and they were for my son, who could benefit from them at the time. We got a couple a B-Kit sets for him in the past as well and they were set up by RG3('06 RMZ250). These were all very good and were a big help for my son, who was racing the A class at the time. The following year, the bikes changed and the shock wouldn't fit the new bikes. I sold the A-Kit sets and returned the B-Kits to the team and I had Enzo valve and spring the stock forks/ shock until I could get some new kit stuff for the new model ('07 RMZ250) I was shocked when he came in after his first Moto on the bike. He told me that they felt every bit as good as the RG3 A-Kit and B-Kit stuff that he had been racing with all year. I figured it was just the new bike feel and he was just satisfied with them, which was great and all, but I couldn't wait to get the new A-Kit stuff on the bike to see how he felt then. I bought another set of slightly used forks and a new shock and had them set up from the guy I bought them from, who worked at Factory Connection. When we went riding for the first time, we were messing with them all day to try and find the right settings for him. We had gotten 4 more bikes from Suzuki and I put the forks that Enzo had already done, onto one of the new bikes. We took that bike along with the bike that he had with the A-Kit on it and after riding back to back on a rough day at Glen Helen, he said he wanted to race with the stuff that Enzo had revalved. It really is all about the suspension being properly setup for the person riding it.
Langhamx - I agree with your comments about the A-kit stuff. If it isn't set up right for you it will be useless & a waste of money. My only experience with an A-kit was from a 12 CRF450r that had a Showa PC set up + the clamps. I was looking to set up a 10 model owned & was thinking of buying it from the owner of the 12. He was selling the bike & suspension separate to recoup some of his money back.
After trying his bike (set up similar weight) out at the Sacramento Hangtown track it didn't feel much better than the stock oem KYB stuff set up by FC. I couldn't justify the $6K he was asking for the forks, shock & triple clamps.
Also comparing it to a 2007 CR250r Showa FC B-kit (with some A-kit internals) currently owned I didn't feel the A-kit was any better as well.
If your not riding at the top level I don't believe the A-kit (unless it's a ktm with WP) will be an improvement over the newer gen suspension set up by a good reputable suspension company. The suspension on modern production bikes started getting much better in 2005. Again with the WP components being the exception.
hillbilly
8/21/2016 11:27am
I'd like to see the face of a suspension tech when taking apart an 85 white power shock and sees the rebound setup.

The wtf is this would be pretty funny.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
8/21/2016 11:29am
The biggest difference IMO is that the A lot stuff is not put under the same cost restrictions as the production suspension. production suspension is mass produced with cost in mind. A kit is produced with the only goal being performance.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
8/21/2016 11:31am
The biggest difference IMO is that the A lot stuff is not put under the same cost restrictions as the production suspension. production suspension is mass produced with cost in mind. A kit is produced with the only goal being performance. I have an A kit that I put on my Kawi 250f because I hated the Sff forks that came on it. Night and day difference. Especially the shock and bottoming resistance. It is possible that the production setup could be made just as good. However, I was not able to get it anywhere near what I was looking for after trying multiple setups. IMO the SFF fork is a terrible design. My A kit is a conventional dual spring twin chamber setup.
Moto810
8/21/2016 12:12pm

hollifield wrote:
I'm no pro rider either but I could not agree more with this statement. I recently bought the WP Cone Valve forks and Trax Shock for...

I 100% agree with these guys. The WP cone valve forks and trax shock offers more options and settings also. By what I have learned they are also a lower cost compared to other A kits. I could never go back to modified stock after running the cone valve with trax shock setup. It gives you a certain level of trust out on the track as well. It seems what they put on stock bikes is not even close to what is available to the teams so I would say it is night and day difference in quality of the parts.
philG
8/21/2016 12:35pm
A kit Stuff will just have smaller tolerances and less variation, which is what makes it work better, all Spring suspension is pretty simple in the way it works, controlling the way it works is what makes it better. Less variation , better materials and coating etc, so the operating condition can be optimised.

DLC, Ti Nitride , and superfinishing on the components will help them work better .

As for the feet, 3D printing is not billet, as someone else said,, 3D printed feet exist , but the practicalities of validating the build quality , plus the cost,mean billet fork bottoms will be factory for a long while to come.
Osaka627
8/21/2016 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2016 1:30pm
davis224 wrote:
All I know is, the one time I got to ride on Pro Circuit A-kit, it was unbelievable. I thought my Enzo was good, but I...
All I know is, the one time I got to ride on Pro Circuit A-kit, it was unbelievable. I thought my Enzo was good, but I could barely feel any if the bumps on the very rough track. It almost felt too soft at first, but I couldn't get it to bottom either. If I were gettin g back into racing seriously, it would be money well spent over a pipe or rims
What year and model of bike were you riding? That's where the oversized suspension comes into play. You can drive it straight down the chop and you will have much more stability, but a lot of people think it's just simply to rigid most of the time. Common joke is to tighten up the head tube a till it feels the same

I'm not a machinist philg... But I used autocad once in wood shop
Osaka627
8/21/2016 1:28pm
jhansen510 wrote:
The biggest difference IMO is that the A lot stuff is not put under the same cost restrictions as the production suspension. production suspension is mass...
The biggest difference IMO is that the A lot stuff is not put under the same cost restrictions as the production suspension. production suspension is mass produced with cost in mind. A kit is produced with the only goal being performance. I have an A kit that I put on my Kawi 250f because I hated the Sff forks that came on it. Night and day difference. Especially the shock and bottoming resistance. It is possible that the production setup could be made just as good. However, I was not able to get it anywhere near what I was looking for after trying multiple setups. IMO the SFF fork is a terrible design. My A kit is a conventional dual spring twin chamber setup.
True the that's what I said above. They're bigger usually such as the bladder in the shock etc. and the oem stuff is designed to cover a broad range. The a kit you have i assume is setup for an outdoor track and that's it. Probably has a nice plush too top half each stroke with your high speed rebound setup pretty fast to handle the big chop. You probably wouldn't like it so much on a ax or SX track where the shock only really moves fast in the whoops and you're falling 15 feet every couple seconds.

Sounds like you have a good suspension setup though. Run what works for you, but make sure you get the bushing and seals serviced because they will begin to loosen up and get sloppy just as fast as the oem stuff.

The stuff the PC bikes or anyone for that matter doesn't cost more than this in the 125/250 class

davis224
Fantasy
165th
8/21/2016 5:47pm
davis224 wrote:
All I know is, the one time I got to ride on Pro Circuit A-kit, it was unbelievable. I thought my Enzo was good, but I...
Osaka627 wrote:
What year and model of bike were you riding? That's where the oversized suspension comes into play. You can drive it straight down the chop and...
What year and model of bike were you riding? That's where the oversized suspension comes into play. You can drive it straight down the chop and you will have much more stability, but a lot of people think it's just simply to rigid most of the time. Common joke is to tighten up the head tube a till it feels the same

My bike is a 2010 CRF450 with Enzo revalved/resprung suspension. I was very happy with it, still felt plush and had great bottoming resistance. The bike with A kit was a 2007 CR250 2 stroke. The biggest difference I could feel was through heavy chop and bombed out ruts. On my 450, when there was a big bump/hole in the middle of a rut, I had to prepare for it, soak it up with my body along with the suspension. It tracked straight, but I could definitely feel the bumps and the bike reacted. With A kit, all the bombed out ruts felt smooth, it tracked incredibly well, I could still lean into the rut and it soaked it right up, barely noticeable and required less input/body English to stay smooth.
Osaka627
8/21/2016 8:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2016 8:13pm
davis224 wrote:
Osaka627 wrote:
What year and model of bike were you riding? That's where the oversized suspension comes into play. You can drive it straight down the chop and...

davis224 wrote:
My bike is a 2010 CRF450 with Enzo revalved/resprung suspension. I was very happy with it, still felt plush and had great bottoming resistance. The bike...
My bike is a 2010 CRF450 with Enzo revalved/resprung suspension. I was very happy with it, still felt plush and had great bottoming resistance. The bike with A kit was a 2007 CR250 2 stroke. The biggest difference I could feel was through heavy chop and bombed out ruts. On my 450, when there was a big bump/hole in the middle of a rut, I had to prepare for it, soak it up with my body along with the suspension. It tracked straight, but I could definitely feel the bumps and the bike reacted. With A kit, all the bombed out ruts felt smooth, it tracked incredibly well, I could still lean into the rut and it soaked it right up, barely noticeable and required less input/body English to stay smooth.
Completely different bikes ergonomically and in what you feel in handling characteristics. the 07 is balanced very well in mass and weight distribution. Very good design. Perhaps better than the current lineup depending on what you value in characteristics. Because of that it doesn't require a certain body positioning to get the most out of it. It's not the best at anything but does all of them at a b- average or above. Now tack on a set of oversized components and you now give that bike a 10-15% in nearly every category but flex and "feel" if your setup is where you want it. You'll feel like the bike is a bit looser and high in the stroke if you get it out to a slower speed hard pack track with no where to dive in. But opposite would be like its to sticky and to violent causing flex and packing up cause you're going to far down and flexing whatever way it takes a beating by blowing through its stroke.

Why so many like the 04 yami. It's a very tacky and gripping bike. The 05 has a rigid feeling causing the front end to push.

Ever ridden a kawi that felt like you were always looking for somewhere to put the front tire to finally pivot in a corner but there is no where to put it till you finally slide into a berm???

Or your Honda where the rear end coming out, in or at any point of them feels like a salmon side swapping back and forth on deck of your boat?

Total opposite machines. 10 Honda is a point and turn bike. kawi is a twist and lean bike. One you ride over the tank and Twist your hips while leaning the body. The other you point the hip and twist your shoulder. Think of RV hitting a corner then picture Dungey hitting a corner of you don't quite get my meaning. the other you ride in the saddle can do it however suits the situation.

10 Hondas aren't very good in the chop TBH. Not much you can do there. But they corner inside 180 flat hard corners or ruts like MF'er. If you put a oversized forks on it it. You would just lose that tacky flex that makes it so great in the flat corners or anything that you turn turn in the bars not out. But willl give you opportunity to a higher fork tube height which will give means more sag and won't feel like your backs parallel with the fender while coming into corner at times.

I recommend what i jokingly saying in the first post. Tighten up the steering stem. You'd be very very surprised just how tight some people run theirs. I've always had Kawis and can't stand it. I run my bikes very stink bugged like stew in a way. But the red bikes of 09 and up require the opposite. And that's what I believe Eli doesn't like about his green machine. He has to learn to ride the bike completely opposite of what he knows. Because it's an incorrect form that he is struggling with from a bench racing standpoint, and stew is always washing out cause he still has his bike stink bugged like he's on a kawi. Needs to balance it out as does Eli just in opposite directions.

But in reality I'm no technician and no mechanical engineer just a 25 year old kid who's ridden for way to many years. I Am just able to explain the reactions and input I learned and utilized since I was 2 years old in words these days.

jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
8/21/2016 8:19pm
Osaka what is your name? Just wondering as I followed am racing pretty closely back in the day and would be cool to put a name to the screen name so to speak.
davis224
Fantasy
165th
8/22/2016 5:51pm
Osaka627 wrote:
Completely different bikes ergonomically and in what you feel in handling characteristics. the 07 is balanced very well in mass and weight distribution. Very good design...
Completely different bikes ergonomically and in what you feel in handling characteristics. the 07 is balanced very well in mass and weight distribution. Very good design. Perhaps better than the current lineup depending on what you value in characteristics. Because of that it doesn't require a certain body positioning to get the most out of it. It's not the best at anything but does all of them at a b- average or above. Now tack on a set of oversized components and you now give that bike a 10-15% in nearly every category but flex and "feel" if your setup is where you want it. You'll feel like the bike is a bit looser and high in the stroke if you get it out to a slower speed hard pack track with no where to dive in. But opposite would be like its to sticky and to violent causing flex and packing up cause you're going to far down and flexing whatever way it takes a beating by blowing through its stroke.

Why so many like the 04 yami. It's a very tacky and gripping bike. The 05 has a rigid feeling causing the front end to push.

Ever ridden a kawi that felt like you were always looking for somewhere to put the front tire to finally pivot in a corner but there is no where to put it till you finally slide into a berm???

Or your Honda where the rear end coming out, in or at any point of them feels like a salmon side swapping back and forth on deck of your boat?

Total opposite machines. 10 Honda is a point and turn bike. kawi is a twist and lean bike. One you ride over the tank and Twist your hips while leaning the body. The other you point the hip and twist your shoulder. Think of RV hitting a corner then picture Dungey hitting a corner of you don't quite get my meaning. the other you ride in the saddle can do it however suits the situation.

10 Hondas aren't very good in the chop TBH. Not much you can do there. But they corner inside 180 flat hard corners or ruts like MF'er. If you put a oversized forks on it it. You would just lose that tacky flex that makes it so great in the flat corners or anything that you turn turn in the bars not out. But willl give you opportunity to a higher fork tube height which will give means more sag and won't feel like your backs parallel with the fender while coming into corner at times.

I recommend what i jokingly saying in the first post. Tighten up the steering stem. You'd be very very surprised just how tight some people run theirs. I've always had Kawis and can't stand it. I run my bikes very stink bugged like stew in a way. But the red bikes of 09 and up require the opposite. And that's what I believe Eli doesn't like about his green machine. He has to learn to ride the bike completely opposite of what he knows. Because it's an incorrect form that he is struggling with from a bench racing standpoint, and stew is always washing out cause he still has his bike stink bugged like he's on a kawi. Needs to balance it out as does Eli just in opposite directions.

But in reality I'm no technician and no mechanical engineer just a 25 year old kid who's ridden for way to many years. I Am just able to explain the reactions and input I learned and utilized since I was 2 years old in words these days.

I'm well aware of how Kawis handle compared to that genration of Hondas, but I'm confused if you think the other bike I rode was a Kawasaki? Either way, I've ridden other CR250s of the same generation and none held a candle (to my preferences at least) to my 450 handling wise, although none had been properly set up for me to ride. So I haven't had the chance to compare a well set up CR250 with stock/revalved suspension vs. A-kit. I just shared my experience of hopping on my friends bike for a few laps and the difference being very drastic.
Osaka627
8/22/2016 6:59pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2016 7:03pm
Osaka627 wrote:
Completely different bikes ergonomically and in what you feel in handling characteristics. the 07 is balanced very well in mass and weight distribution. Very good design...

davis224 wrote:
I'm well aware of how Kawis handle compared to that genration of Hondas, but I'm confused if you think the other bike I rode was a...
I'm well aware of how Kawis handle compared to that genration of Hondas, but I'm confused if you think the other bike I rode was a Kawasaki? Either way, I've ridden other CR250s of the same generation and none held a candle (to my preferences at least) to my 450 handling wise, although none had been properly set up for me to ride. So I haven't had the chance to compare a well set up CR250 with stock/revalved suspension vs. A-kit. I just shared my experience of hopping on my friends bike for a few laps and the difference being very drastic.
Just saying that you have one end of a spectrum and then the other. Black and white. Night and day... Kawi and Honda.

What made the motorcycle more effective to you was a combination of manipulating that spectrum. But when you move the bar it doesn't change the median. That's always consistent. You just rode it in the ideal conditions in which it was suited. I gave you the characteristics and why they do it despite situation or motorcycle.

Yeah I bet it was I'm not denying that either! I had b kit kyb stuff on my last YZ 250 which basically means a kit but same size components. And I rode a friends with some oversized stuff that was same speed and weight as me and loved it on a high speed clay but hard pack track that gets ripped real deep in the am but is blue groove by evening. You're able to throw it right through the shit, and in general 2 strokes can be driven deeeeep into a corner and brake much later and turn quicker than any 4 banger.

Post a reply to: What makes "A-Kit" suspension so good?

The Latest