What is up with Fox gear fitment?

731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
Edited Date/Time 2/12/2015 5:56pm
I just got a new Fox V4 helmet on my doorstep today that I ordered from BTO. My current helmets are a Fox V3 (the original RC one) and a 2014 TLD Air both in size Medium. I wanted to get a new lid with some of the newest safety tech so I went with the new V4 with MIPS. Part of the decision to go with Fox was because I love the way my V3 fits and feels on my head. My TLD Air feels fine but it is a much closer and smaller fitting helmet.

Well, I pull the helmet out of the bag and put it on and immediately think "Crap, they sent me the wrong size." It felt way too small. So, I pull it off and check the size but it's a size Medium just like every other helmet that I've worn for years. I know helmets need a little break in period but this isn't just tight around the cheeks, it doesn't feel like it sits on the top of my head correclty. I'd really like to hear from some other people who currently have a new V4, especially if they came from a V3. I'm pretty positive I'm going to have send this back to BTO, sadly.

On top of that I ordered some new 2015 Fox Instinct boots a couple of weeks ago and they didn't fit either. I read the original Instinct boot was notorious for running small in size but Fox claimed they corrected the fitment for the new 2015 Instinct boot but that isn't true. I've worn size 9 shoes, and boots forever. My last 3 pairs of Alpinestars boots were size 9, my cheapo pitbike Thor boots were size 9 and they all fit well. The 2015 Fox Instinct boots that were size 9 hurt my feet just standing in them. I sent them back for size 10 and those seem to fit well.

Has Fox changed their sizing measurements lately? I don't want this to turn into a Gaerne vs Alpinestars vs SIDI vs Fox or 6D vs Arai vs Shoei vs Fox, etc. argument but I'd like some input from others if they've experienced this lately too. For the record the helmet is beautiful, comes with an awesome bag and seems to be quality... it is just the fitment that has me scratching my head. Or rather rubbing my head because it hurts after putting it on.
|
Zycki11
2/12/2015 4:23pm
Fox runs small boots. They basically went up a half size. So last year I had the old size white instincts. I purchased the black and white ones in a size smaller with the new size scale. They are a little tight. But Moto boots should be that way. As for the helmet. I went from a V3 to a V4 and it takes a little getting used too. The helmet sits differently on your head than a V3. If it's small just walk into your local shop who carries fox and try on a large. Or buy the new V3 which also has MIPS
SLO1667
2/12/2015 4:27pm
Never been a fan of the fit of Fox helmets.
MarkF
2/12/2015 4:37pm
I have V4's now and previously had V3's. I wear the same size for both. The tightness I felt was just getting it on. The feel between the two is vastly different, but for me the V4 feels far better after getting used to it. I also wear a size ten instinct boot and it also felt drastically different from its size 10 predecessor, but again, once I got used to it, it feels far better. Good luck.
Flex
2/12/2015 4:40pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2015 4:41pm
Fox helmets fit super tight. Best fix if you dont want to return is to buy the large cheek pads. Even then the helmet still feels close to my face. I settled for a Fly formula stryper helmet. 399 original, got it for 120 and it is amazing!

The Shop

radialone
2/12/2015 5:46pm
I went from a 2010 V3 to a 2014 V4 recently. I had to jump up a size from a Small in the older V3 to a Medium in the V4. The fit is completely different. The V3 felt like it sat sort of perched on my head and felt a bit more open if you catch my drift. The V4 definitely feels like it encompasses your entire head more; most noticeable in the forehead and crown areas. If it feels like it wont sit down far enough on your head (like it wants to pop up almost), I'd say you should definitely try the large. As long as it's still snug enough in the cheeks when you bump up and nothing is able to shake around, you should be fine.

Something to note: I believe the older Fox helmets utilized fewer shell sizes where as the new ones expanded into 4 or 5 different shell sizes. So you don't have as many sizes sharing the same shell. I know the S and M V3 were the same shell with different pads. The V4 uses two different shells for each size (i can't even get the small on my head).

Hope this helps.
reded
2/12/2015 5:56pm
I've got a medium V3 that feels like it's pulling my damned ears off when removing it and it seems to fit kinda tight in the cheeks. Other than that it seems to fit my head really well with no pressure points.

Post a reply to: What is up with Fox gear fitment?

The Latest