What is the best Antifreeze on the market?

Roostermx58
Edited Date/Time 4/24/2015 5:35am
Liquid Performance - Water Wetter - Engine Ice?

Also, which if any can be mixed with regular antifreeze or water?
|
newmann
4/23/2015 5:18pm
Are any of those actually "anti freeze"? I've always flushed well with distilled water before filling up with Engine Ice.

The Shop

Roostermx58
4/23/2015 5:29pm
newmann wrote:
Are any of those actually "anti freeze"? I've always flushed well with distilled water before filling up with Engine Ice.
I guess technically they are coolants.
Bruce372
4/23/2015 5:29pm
ethylene glycol is toxic, whearas propylene glycol isn't. There used to be a brand called Sierra that was propylene glycol based, but ive not seen it for a while.

Any brand of antifreeze mixed 50-50 with distilled or deionized water and a capful of hyperlube additive or water wetter will work just as good as engine ice at a fraction of the price.

I (personally) don't think the straight glycol coolants are a good idea- they have very high boiling point to prevent boiling over, but I am not sure they cool as well. If you are boiling over, higher boiling coolant is treating the symptoms and not the disease.
Bruce372
4/23/2015 5:31pm
Also, when I lived in SoCal, I used 25% glycol mixes with water and even tested with a bunch of pros and we found the engines were cooler after a moto.

Now I live in Chicago, I always run 50/50 LOL.
Mit12
4/23/2015 5:35pm
I do not know what is better but for me I buy the Peek because they have sponsored riders in the sport.
4/23/2015 5:44pm
Bruce372 wrote:
ethylene glycol is toxic, whearas propylene glycol isn't. There used to be a brand called Sierra that was propylene glycol based, but ive not seen it...
ethylene glycol is toxic, whearas propylene glycol isn't. There used to be a brand called Sierra that was propylene glycol based, but ive not seen it for a while.

Any brand of antifreeze mixed 50-50 with distilled or deionized water and a capful of hyperlube additive or water wetter will work just as good as engine ice at a fraction of the price.

I (personally) don't think the straight glycol coolants are a good idea- they have very high boiling point to prevent boiling over, but I am not sure they cool as well. If you are boiling over, higher boiling coolant is treating the symptoms and not the disease.
Wallies. Made by Peak.

You are correct.

Except that pure water with some water wetter "Cools" better than anything. It wont add any boilover protection though.
You're gonna boil at 212* plus whatever your particular pressure cap affords you.(Hence some run higher pressure caps)

50/50 Sierra and Distilled and some water wetter here. Year round.
Cheap easy and it works.

Glycol is only for freeze and boilover protection. It doesn't cool for shit really other than being there.

And if you have a thermostat, it will never run cooler than that(once up to temp)

skubasam
4/23/2015 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2015 6:32pm
I run the evans waterless coolant and have really liked it. It raises the boiling point and removes the chance for hot spotting from boiling and vapors in the block. lots of off roaders use it and im pretty sure two two motorsports is one of the sx teams that run it and two other teams use it. ziptyracing is where i buy mine. best part is even when the bike is hot i can open the cap because it doesnt pressure up and expand like other coolants.

edit: this is from the xf2 product page
It is race proven and guaranteed to stop overheating and boil over in your racing 2-stroke and 4-stroke. And since it is waterless, it will out perform traditional coolants. Besides superior boil over protection (-60°F to +387°F), XF2 operates at safer pressures which causes less stress on engine components, increasing their life and reliability. Removing the water component prevents oxidation and erosion of the jacket metal, electrolysis and resulting contamination and fluid destruction. XF2 prevents cavitation and vapor hot spots that create non-uniform metal expansion rates resulting in seizure.
Jordan421
Fantasy
2602nd
4/23/2015 6:25pm
Someone on here once told me that engine ice is the best. Guy acted like he knew a few things about antifreeze so who knows.
Bruce372
4/23/2015 6:35pm
Jordan421 wrote:
Someone on here once told me that engine ice is the best. Guy acted like he knew a few things about antifreeze so who knows.
does he sell it as well?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
4/23/2015 6:57pm
This is the same kind of question as "what is the best oil " there is no right or wrong answer when it come to the name brands, people buy and swear by what they like and use and if you put one in another bottle no one would ever know the difference.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
4/23/2015 7:03pm
Jordan421 wrote:
He acted like he knew a few things about everything...
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
4/23/2015 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2015 7:12pm
I was one of the first to use the engine ice. My buddy and I were the only four strokes at the Travis Blackburn riding school that were not boiling over on this 100° plus day. It was the early days of 4 bangers and overheating was an issue. Guys with the exact bikes were boiling over but ours were cool and I would say I was riding mine a bit harder than most as well. Our bikes have always run cooler using Engine Ice.
TeamGreen
4/23/2015 8:38pm
Just tortured a 350 for 7 days and 1600-1700 miles in Baja.

I ran Engine Ice.
Dissident
4/23/2015 8:49pm
ive ran prestone anti freeeze 50/50 mix with distilled water in my 2-strokes, never had any over heating problems

truthfully, you could go down to walmart and run supertech coolant in your bike and it wouldnt make a difference

jus sayin..
BobbyM
4/23/2015 8:53pm
Liquid Performance - Water Wetter - Engine Ice?

Also, which if any can be mixed with regular antifreeze or water?
Fishing for Dave in yer spare time eh?
bonseff
4/23/2015 8:56pm
holy water after confession and keep that shit topped off.
Bruce372
4/23/2015 9:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2015 9:01pm
Dissident wrote:
ive ran prestone anti freeeze 50/50 mix with distilled water in my 2-strokes, never had any over heating problems truthfully, you could go down to walmart...
ive ran prestone anti freeeze 50/50 mix with distilled water in my 2-strokes, never had any over heating problems

truthfully, you could go down to walmart and run supertech coolant in your bike and it wouldnt make a difference

jus sayin..
Exactly! Its all the same, glycol, water and a little detergent to break the srace tension. The laws of physics really don't care otherwise.

Some might have a different dye or corrosion package, but I feel thats moot I a dirt bike application. Many cars are running the same coolant for 20 years!
Dissident
4/23/2015 9:04pm
Dissident wrote:
ive ran prestone anti freeeze 50/50 mix with distilled water in my 2-strokes, never had any over heating problems truthfully, you could go down to walmart...

jus sayin..
Bruce372 wrote:
Exactly! Its all the same, glycol, water and a little detergent to break the srace tension. The laws of physics really don't care otherwise. Some might...
Exactly! Its all the same, glycol, water and a little detergent to break the srace tension. The laws of physics really don't care otherwise.

Some might have a different dye or corrosion package, but I feel thats moot I a dirt bike application. Many cars are running the same coolant for 20 years!
yup..and lets be serious...i feel like most people replace the coolant when they do a top end or whatever anyways so it wouldnt corrode it that bad.

of all the bikes i owned, the only one that had any corrosion was my old mid 90s kx80 that sat in a shed with a blown engine for a few years..the rest never did.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/23/2015 10:57pm
Bruce372 wrote:
ethylene glycol is toxic, whearas propylene glycol isn't. There used to be a brand called Sierra that was propylene glycol based, but ive not seen it...

I want to add to this...
Both Ethelyne Glycol and Propylene Glycol raise the boiling point of water. I think Ethylene is better as an antifreeze. (Traditional, green Prestone or auto parts store stuff.)

Propylene glycol is better at the very top of the boiling temp because it has better cling properties; it will cling to the metal on the inside of your radiator better and allow more heat transfer. Ethylene will start to bubble and the bubbles take space on the metal, thus reducing the cooling capacity. The eventual end result is a runaway overheat (sooner than the same would happen with propylene, assuming heat is continually added to the system.)
I know the Bel-Ray stuff is propylene glcol, and I believe Engine Ice is too. Liquid Performance may also be, based on its color.

The best part about propylene glcol is that your dog won't die if you spill some in his water dish.
austin888_99
4/24/2015 3:12am
just out of curiosity has anyone tried Pentosin coolants in dirtbikes? It seems to work really well in streetbikes but never used it for dirt
4/24/2015 3:41am
we tried a few different coolants when getting my yz125 set up after a lot of tuning work- the engine ice was vastly better than anything else we tried. Testing the cylinder temperature with a temp probe on a multimeter the engine was running noticeably cooler than any alternative

always drain stock coolant out of bikes now and replace with engine ice. Wouldn't use anything else
Bruce372
4/24/2015 5:30am
Ethylene and propylene glycol are both colorless liquids.
Bruce372
4/24/2015 5:35am
we tried a few different coolants when getting my yz125 set up after a lot of tuning work- the engine ice was vastly better than anything...
we tried a few different coolants when getting my yz125 set up after a lot of tuning work- the engine ice was vastly better than anything else we tried. Testing the cylinder temperature with a temp probe on a multimeter the engine was running noticeably cooler than any alternative

always drain stock coolant out of bikes now and replace with engine ice. Wouldn't use anything else
We did the same thing with a regular 50/50 propylene glycol and a detergent. We observed the same.effect you saw and we saw the same effect with engine ice. No better, no worse. Several bikes, at randomized Times of the day to negate differences of track condition, outside temps etc.

Post a reply to: What is the best Antifreeze on the market?

The Latest