What is a good pros work outs to get in race shape

Moto_181
Edited Date/Time 9/5/2014 9:37am
[b][b]Hey everyone out there that races I race in 250C class and I been off the bike about 2 months that I was wondering if any of you could be really helpful and help me out with good base cardio/endurance something on the line that ryan villopoto,chad reed,James bubba Stewart ,Malcolm Stewart , dean wilson,cole seely,ryan dungey , eli tomac, justin hill do to get in shape for out door nationals I just want to be in the best race shape ever like all the AMA pros

I have my own home gym. I have

Row machine
Stationary bike
Elliptical
Jump rope
Running out side
15 lbs kettle bell
3 pound dumbbells
10 pounds dumbbells
Battle rope
Swiss ball
Indo board
Ab wheel
Home made body blade

So if you guys can help me make a work out schedule that I can use 6 days a week and I have a track in my back yard so I would ride 3-5 times a week. Something the AMA pros do daily.

I'm 21/5'5/115lbs I ride a kawasaki 250f

THANK YOU!
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
7/24/2014 11:44am
I would start with cardio and do core stability. Avoid adding bulk. Just mainly focus on cardio. Hit the rowing machine and the road bike.
KGAspeed
7/24/2014 11:53am
MxKing809 wrote:
I would start with cardio and do core stability. Avoid adding bulk. Just mainly focus on cardio. Hit the rowing machine and the road bike.
Not at 21 years old and only 115 pounds. There are plenty of skinny kids going fast, but bulk and some strength would not hurt him one bit.
Sandberm
7/24/2014 11:54am
Dungey jogs, Bob Hannah used to jog, in an old MXA article DeCoster said jogging was the better over cycling. You will be able to ride harder longer if you jog.

Nothing will give you a better cardio workout then jogging.
-You cant coast when you jog like on a bicycle.
-If you run 2 miles away from your house, then you must run 2 miles to get back. You can just hop off an elyptical if you get tired.
-The only cost is a pair of running shoes once or twice a year.

The Shop

7/24/2014 12:25pm
Hannah ran 10 miles in less than 60 minutes....try and jog that pace...haha...
Moto_181
7/24/2014 12:29pm
MxKing809 wrote:
KGAspeed wrote:
Not at 21 years old and only 115 pounds. There are plenty of skinny kids going fast, but bulk and some strength would not hurt him...
Not at 21 years old and only 115 pounds. There are plenty of skinny kids going fast, but bulk and some strength would not hurt him one bit.
I use to lift heavy weights in high school use to bench 220 . So I got strength but I lost some but not a lot. It's just I eat a ton and I just burn it super fast
Flatliner
7/24/2014 12:31pm
Row, run, and strength train. Your very light , nothing wrong with putting on 10 lbs of muscle.

Push ups, pull ups , core work, it really doesn't have to be complicated.
Sandberm
7/24/2014 12:35pm
What? i never heard that!

I do remember Rollerball saying "5 miles/30 minutes, every pro should be able to do that" to paraphrase the great Ross.
dr516
7/24/2014 12:43pm
That’s right Hannah never jogged
OldYZRider1
7/24/2014 2:44pm
Well what did Tripe's training consist of?? I saw him wax Hannah two moto's at Red Bud in '79. I blew up my car trying to get to the race to watch Hannah take it to everyone! To add insult to injury when I went to the Trans-USA race there a few months later I learned that Tripe's broke Hannah's leg and he wasn't there to race! Damn that guy.

That's a joke about Tripe's breaking Hannah's leg, I knew it was an accident. It was actually cool watching those guys go; they kinda had their own thing going on way out front of everyone else although I don't remember Hannah ever showing him a wheel that day. It appeared Tripe's had him handled.
nc_mx_kid
7/24/2014 2:46pm
"sex twice daily, its all about finding a partner that has the same appetite" Coach Robb Beams

7/24/2014 2:56pm
Well what did Tripe's training consist of?? I saw him wax Hannah two moto's at Red Bud in '79. I blew up my car trying to...
Well what did Tripe's training consist of?? I saw him wax Hannah two moto's at Red Bud in '79. I blew up my car trying to get to the race to watch Hannah take it to everyone! To add insult to injury when I went to the Trans-USA race there a few months later I learned that Tripe's broke Hannah's leg and he wasn't there to race! Damn that guy.

That's a joke about Tripe's breaking Hannah's leg, I knew it was an accident. It was actually cool watching those guys go; they kinda had their own thing going on way out front of everyone else although I don't remember Hannah ever showing him a wheel that day. It appeared Tripe's had him handled.
Tripes...was a head case...he believed...and therefore he did....
Tripes and Hannah also dueled in Omaha as well...same thing.. unbelievable...
Tripes style was that, he would stay standing on the pegs, virtually the whole moto ...
and not even sit in the tightest of turns....and rail'em'...
yes indeed...Tripes was a bad man...a very bad man!
but in the end Tripes record vs. Hannahs tells the tale...
moto62z
7/24/2014 3:23pm
I was a pretty good local pro back in the early 80's and here is what I did:

Ran 4 miles in 25 minutes - 3 days a week
Ran 8 miles in 55 minutes- 1 day a week
Did the Rolf Tibblin isometric exercises- 4 days a week
100 push-ups and 200 V ups( a sit-up and also raise the legs)-5 days a week
Ride (2) motos through a tank of gas-( have someone with a chalkboard showing your lap times-be consistent)- 2 days a week

Running and riding had the most impact.

Don't get caught up in over training at your level, ride your bike as much as you can and have passion!

Hope that helps...Good Luck!
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
997th
7/24/2014 5:09pm
Anyone got a cure for shaving muscle? I have some mass i cant seem to get rid of......I have been doing mostly cardio, but i cant seem to shave some weight i gained [weight lifting] when i wasnt riding.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
7/24/2014 6:25pm
Anyone got a cure for shaving muscle? I have some mass i cant seem to get rid of......I have been doing mostly cardio, but i cant...
Anyone got a cure for shaving muscle? I have some mass i cant seem to get rid of......I have been doing mostly cardio, but i cant seem to shave some weight i gained [weight lifting] when i wasnt riding.
Sit here:

Grizz
7/24/2014 6:35pm
Ride. Every. Day.
LoudLove
7/24/2014 6:38pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2014 6:39pm
In the immortal words of Eddy Merckx, when asked for his number one training tip, he replied "rides lots".

A professional triathlete would get waxed on an MX course by an overweight smoker who knows how to ride. You're a self-professed C class rider who likely fights obstacles the experienced rider glides through. There's a reason the A class guys exit the track less exhausted and 20 seconds per lap quicker than you, and it's not physical conditioning, it's time in the saddle.

Check out Gary Semics' MX videos and master the basics. You'll be amazed at how simple drills will not only improve your technique, but reduce your caloric intake per lap. Jumping rope won't necessarily make you fast through the corners, but cornering practice will.
Sandberm
7/24/2014 6:41pm
Grizz wrote:
Ride. Every. Day.
That. Is. Expensive.

If your like me in my hayday, you could afford to ride twice a week. Practice on a tuesday, wednesday or thursday and then race on Sunday. Who can keep up with bike maintenance riding every day?

Outsider
7/24/2014 6:42pm
Anyone got a cure for shaving muscle? I have some mass i cant seem to get rid of......I have been doing mostly cardio, but i cant...
SPYGUY wrote:
Sit here: [img]http://www.associerge.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/cleaning-techniques-for-leather-couches-37548.jpg[/img]
Sit here:

Bro, that's a casting couch
7/24/2014 7:12pm
A lot of roading biking and running, most pros spend more time on a road bike during the offseason than on their own race bikes.
Camp332
7/24/2014 7:14pm
Somebody say "workout"?

Bro, bench press and dumbell curls. Deep squats on Tuesdays.

Thread done Bro
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
7/24/2014 9:48pm
I think you would be amazed that if you just focused mainly on diet, you would achieve what you are ultimately looking for. No need to "shave muscle". if you lean up mainly through a better diet. I bet you will be better off - and you will lose some "bulk" that you are looking for. I have a muscular build at 6-0", always have been like this from various sports. At one point I was 220 lbs, but never "fat". I thought if I could get down to 200 lbs, I'd be ripped. Through a lot of diet and hard work/exercise, I'm down to 203 lbs and while I have leaned up considerably, I could stand to lose a little more. Now I realize I could / should get down to 185-190 lbs and not just to 200.

Everybody is a little different, but here is what worked for me. Cut back on alcohol - only allow yourself a drink or two a month (for some that will be harder than others). Drink water 99% of the time - no sugary coffee drinks. No energy drinks - leaded or unleaded (i.e. normal or sugar free). Cut sugar out of your diet and only allow yourself one sweet treat a week. If you want a sweet, eat some fruit (natural sugar sources are ok). No junk food. Eat a good breakfast and a decent lunch. But for dinner just eat lean meat and vegetables. No food after 6:30 PM and don't do any carbs after 3 PM.

For exercise, I would lift weights 3 times a week doing circuit training with lighter weights and higher reps. Do exercises for each body part 3 times a week - but again, high reps, low weight. For Cardio, do it 5 times a week for an average of 45 minutes per exercise.

No amount of cardio or exercise alone won't get you there. It's mainly your diet and genetics that matter most. Good luck!
50dippin
7/24/2014 10:46pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2014 10:57pm
MxKing809 wrote:
KGAspeed wrote:
Not at 21 years old and only 115 pounds. There are plenty of skinny kids going fast, but bulk and some strength would not hurt him...
Moto_181 wrote:
I use to lift heavy weights in high school use to bench 220 . So I got strength but I lost some but not a lot...
I use to lift heavy weights in high school use to bench 220 . So I got strength but I lost some but not a lot. It's just I eat a ton and I just burn it super fast
if your benching 220 at 115 lbs you should look into professional power lifting.

yes that means I think you're full of shit
txmxer
7/24/2014 11:13pm
TbonesPop wrote:
I think you would be amazed that if you just focused mainly on diet, you would achieve what you are ultimately looking for. No need to...
I think you would be amazed that if you just focused mainly on diet, you would achieve what you are ultimately looking for. No need to "shave muscle". if you lean up mainly through a better diet. I bet you will be better off - and you will lose some "bulk" that you are looking for. I have a muscular build at 6-0", always have been like this from various sports. At one point I was 220 lbs, but never "fat". I thought if I could get down to 200 lbs, I'd be ripped. Through a lot of diet and hard work/exercise, I'm down to 203 lbs and while I have leaned up considerably, I could stand to lose a little more. Now I realize I could / should get down to 185-190 lbs and not just to 200.

Everybody is a little different, but here is what worked for me. Cut back on alcohol - only allow yourself a drink or two a month (for some that will be harder than others). Drink water 99% of the time - no sugary coffee drinks. No energy drinks - leaded or unleaded (i.e. normal or sugar free). Cut sugar out of your diet and only allow yourself one sweet treat a week. If you want a sweet, eat some fruit (natural sugar sources are ok). No junk food. Eat a good breakfast and a decent lunch. But for dinner just eat lean meat and vegetables. No food after 6:30 PM and don't do any carbs after 3 PM.

For exercise, I would lift weights 3 times a week doing circuit training with lighter weights and higher reps. Do exercises for each body part 3 times a week - but again, high reps, low weight. For Cardio, do it 5 times a week for an average of 45 minutes per exercise.

No amount of cardio or exercise alone won't get you there. It's mainly your diet and genetics that matter most. Good luck!
that's a great post.

OTO, nobody has asked the kid why he thinks his conditioning is the issue. There is a post or two about focusing on riding skills.

Given he's got a gym and a track, he seems to have all options open. If he's not in shape, he's not choosing to be in shape considering what's available.

Riding isn't the end of that conversation. Get a coach. Someone that can watch you ride and correct all the many things you are doing wrong. That's where your speed will come from. GS videos are great and I recommend them for your knowledge, but a live person watching you ride and giving you proper feedback will do more than any program.

Oh...and conditioning? Diet is more important than your workout. 30 minutes or so of cardio at 21 and you won't be hurting. You said you are strong, so that's covered. Note, you can't ignore your conditioning and strength, it's just technique on the bike is much more important based on the info you've provided. One critical aspect to your training--try to avoid doing harm. Running is great (the best cardio workout IMO), but it's hard on the body and joints. A proper training regimen should consider the potential negatives 20 yrs down the road.
Roscoe33
7/25/2014 7:11am
Moto_181 wrote:
[b][b]Hey everyone out there that races I race in 250C class and I been off the bike about 2 months that I was wondering if any...
[b][b]Hey everyone out there that races I race in 250C class and I been off the bike about 2 months that I was wondering if any of you could be really helpful and help me out with good base cardio/endurance something on the line that ryan villopoto,chad reed,James bubba Stewart ,Malcolm Stewart , dean wilson,cole seely,ryan dungey , eli tomac, justin hill do to get in shape for out door nationals I just want to be in the best race shape ever like all the AMA pros

Row machine
Stationary bike
Elliptical
Jump rope
Running out side
15 lbs kettle bell
3 pound dumbbells
10 pounds dumbbells
Battle rope
Swiss ball
Indo board
Ab wheel
Home made body blade

So if you guys can help me make a work out schedule that I can use 6 days a week and I have a track in my back yard so I would ride 3-5 times a week. Something the AMA pros do daily.

THANK YOU!
get a good road bike and start to ride the miles,

indoor just leads to boredom a doesn't last.

weights for off season.

7/25/2014 7:47am
What seems to be working for me is alternating days of long time/distance cardio and interval training. I would row for 20 minutes and road bike for an hour one day and do a circuit workout the next involving burpies and other exercises of that nature for 30-45 mins. Also make sure to stretch a lot! Don't worry about working out every day because if you do it will burn you our and will not give your muscles enough time to fully heal. And you want to change your workouts up occasionally so you keep improving and don't plateau. Also look into making sure your bike is set up properly. May not apply to you but a lot of C class guys in my area will neglect proper bike set up which might make it harder than it should be to ride. That being said I would look into getting new springs since the kx stock springs are usually rated for someone in the 165-175 lbs range. Hope this helps.
Titan1
7/25/2014 9:39am
P90X...with lots of riding.
MXATC
Fantasy
2394th
7/25/2014 10:28am
Your workouts need to be customized specifically for you. No 'cookie cutter' workout that everyone uses doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Like Gary said, no offence to anyone on the board but his workouts would be a good start.
CrashMaster
7/25/2014 10:52am
Moto_181 wrote:
[b][b]Hey everyone out there that races I race in 250C class and I been off the bike about 2 months that I was wondering if any...

Row machine
Stationary bike
Elliptical
Jump rope
Running out side
15 lbs kettle bell
3 pound dumbbells
10 pounds dumbbells
Battle rope
Swiss ball
Indo board
Ab wheel
Home made body blade

THANK YOU!
RIDE,RIDE,RIDE thats the best thing you could do right now. Riding will get all of your muscles in shape, plus it helps you hone your skills on the bike. That way you can move up out of the C class and move into the B class, then you can worry about some serious training. Wink

Post a reply to: What is a good pros work outs to get in race shape

The Latest