What is HRC’s stance on two-stroke....

Bultaco
Edited Date/Time 3/13/2015 10:31am
Edit to add: From Vital front page interview with HRC vice president Mr. Shuhei Nakamoto.

What is HRC’s stance on two-stroke, any development whatsoever?

Zero.

I guess that answers that. But, I think we already knew it.
|
3/3/2015 5:18pm
See, this is the thing though...

This two stroke "thing" is happening whether Big Red, Big Green, and Big Money wants it to or not.

Repeat: We two stroke guys don't give a FUCK. We will ride them, continue to point out the flaws in "four stroke logic" and generally beat this overpriced and complicated moto-dystopia you've created into the ground...one sweet blip of throttle at a time.

Like music. Wink
2smoker
3/3/2015 5:28pm
See, this is the thing though... This two stroke "thing" is happening whether Big Red, Big Green, and Big Money wants it to or not. Repeat...

This two stroke "thing" is happening whether Big Red, Big Green, and Big Money wants it to or not.

Repeat: We two stroke guys don't give a FUCK. We will ride them, continue to point out the flaws in "four stroke logic" and generally beat this overpriced and complicated moto-dystopia you've created into the ground...one sweet blip of throttle at a time.

Like music. Wink
I was thinking pretty much the same thing. I've always been a Honda guy, as far back as the early 80's.

But I'm a two-stroke guy first, so I have 2015 250SX in my garage right now.

Grizz
3/3/2015 5:35pm
See, this is the thing though... This two stroke "thing" is happening whether Big Red, Big Green, and Big Money wants it to or not. Repeat...

Like music. Wink
What are the flaws in four-stroke logic? Just ride your bike and shut up...

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/3/2015 5:36pm
Ride on. And ride what you want to ride.

In Atlanta last weekend, I asked a top SX rider (who also happens to be pretty two-stroke-friendly) whether he thought we'd see two-strokes in the pro class again. He said no. Between the power delivery, and the way they're infinitely tunable via electronics, he didn't see it happening.

That said, I think it makes a lot of sense for weekend riders and people who aren't riding at that level to own and purchase two-strokes.
kiwifan
3/3/2015 5:47pm
What is Suzuki's and Kawasaki's stance too? Why single out Honda?

You buy what you want that is the power of the consumer, if several manufacturers dont produce a 2 stroke then you go with who does, why does anybody complain about what someone doesnt build? Not as though this thread will mean Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki will now start producing 125, 250 and 500 2 strokes....
kiwifan
3/3/2015 5:48pm
GuyB wrote:
Ride on. And ride what you want to ride. In Atlanta last weekend, I asked a top SX rider (who also happens to be pretty two-stroke-friendly)...

In Atlanta last weekend, I asked a top SX rider (who also happens to be pretty two-stroke-friendly) whether he thought we'd see two-strokes in the pro class again. He said no. Between the power delivery, and the way they're infinitely tunable via electronics, he didn't see it happening.

That said, I think it makes a lot of sense for weekend riders and people who aren't riding at that level to own and purchase two-strokes.
They will still think it is Honda's fault Guy
Bultaco
3/3/2015 5:49pm
I also recall, all the way up to the 1973 unveiling of the Elsinore, Honda repeatedly stated "No two strokes". Sometimes big companies change their mind. In the meantime there are other companies that build fun smokers.
2smoker
3/3/2015 5:51pm
GuyB wrote:
Ride on. And ride what you want to ride. In Atlanta last weekend, I asked a top SX rider (who also happens to be pretty two-stroke-friendly)...

The last sentence sums it all up perfectly. I couldn't care less what type of engine might be in a factory race bike. I do care what type of engines are in the bikes at the local dealer. I don't want to see 4 strokes go away, I just want 2 strokes to make a comeback.
kiwifan
3/3/2015 5:52pm
Bultaco wrote:
I also recall, all the way up to the 1973 unveiling of the Elsinore, Honda repeatedly stated "No two strokes". Sometimes big companies change their mind...
I also recall, all the way up to the 1973 unveiling of the Elsinore, Honda repeatedly stated "No two strokes". Sometimes big companies change their mind. In the meantime there are other companies that build fun smokers.
Good point
turbotime
3/3/2015 6:00pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2015 6:03pm
kiwifan wrote:
What is Suzuki's and Kawasaki's stance too? Why single out Honda? You buy what you want that is the power of the consumer, if several manufacturers...

You buy what you want that is the power of the consumer, if several manufacturers dont produce a 2 stroke then you go with who does, why does anybody complain about what someone doesnt build? Not as though this thread will mean Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki will now start producing 125, 250 and 500 2 strokes....
Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha & KTM all build 2 strokes.

Honda does not.
TeamGreen
3/3/2015 6:01pm
Anyone other than Honda develop and Race, in Baja, a very trick ultra low emissions 2 stroke?

No?

Go Figure!

Love or Hate all Ya want.

Less Smokers in your future.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/3/2015 6:09pm
kiwifan wrote:
They will still think it is Honda's fault Guy
Can't cure stupid.
dcg141
3/3/2015 6:11pm
KTM is working on something new on the 2 stroke front. They won't give up details but its coming.
kiwifan
3/3/2015 6:18pm
kiwifan wrote:
What is Suzuki's and Kawasaki's stance too? Why single out Honda? You buy what you want that is the power of the consumer, if several manufacturers...

turbotime wrote:
Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha & KTM all build 2 strokes.

Honda does not.
I said 125, 250 and 500 (or 250cc+) 2 strokes, none of them do except KTM, Husky, TM, Beta, GasGas...Kawasaki only produces 85cc bikes, what does Suzuki produce?
Zracer
3/3/2015 6:35pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Anyone other than Honda develop and Race, in Baja, a very trick ultra low emissions 2 stroke? No? Go Figure! Love or Hate all Ya want...
Anyone other than Honda develop and Race, in Baja, a very trick ultra low emissions 2 stroke?

No?

Go Figure!

Love or Hate all Ya want.

Less Smokers in your future.
LOL You ,of all people, should put away your crystal ball.
Bulldog
3/3/2015 6:41pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2015 6:42pm
It is too bad. The Dirt Rider article last year that referred to the Red Japanese bike that was getting ready to drop a direct injected bike must have been a rumor... But here is a repeat of a our tracking of brands raced in the Virginia Championship Hare Scramble Series for the last ten years. A steep drop in sales of Japanese bikes came in 2009 when they dropped their contingency programs and then 2-Strokes.

Interesting in the age of 4-Strokes, in offroad 2-Strokes are dominating...

We gather this data at each event onour Sign-Up forms. This year we will be tracking the model year just to see how long riders are holding on to their bike and how many new ones are really out there.

Strong rumor says that Yamaha will drop an all new YZ 2-Stroke offroad model built on a similar model design as the new YZ250F in 2017.
kiwifan
3/3/2015 6:48pm
Bulldog wrote:
It is too bad. The Dirt Rider article last year that referred to the Red Japanese bike that was getting ready to drop a direct injected...
It is too bad. The Dirt Rider article last year that referred to the Red Japanese bike that was getting ready to drop a direct injected bike must have been a rumor... But here is a repeat of a our tracking of brands raced in the Virginia Championship Hare Scramble Series for the last ten years. A steep drop in sales of Japanese bikes came in 2009 when they dropped their contingency programs and then 2-Strokes.

Interesting in the age of 4-Strokes, in offroad 2-Strokes are dominating...

We gather this data at each event onour Sign-Up forms. This year we will be tracking the model year just to see how long riders are holding on to their bike and how many new ones are really out there.

Strong rumor says that Yamaha will drop an all new YZ 2-Stroke offroad model built on a similar model design as the new YZ250F in 2017.
what has also changed in the last 5 years is a quality of the euro bikes that match the japs, that also makes a big difference to what people buy, I dont think you can just put it down to just the one thing imho
kiwifan
3/3/2015 6:49pm
Flatliner wrote:
Plenty of two stroke options without Honda anyways.
Exactly.....I have no idea why they still complain, in fact there are probably more quality 2 stroke options these days
jeffro503
3/3/2015 6:53pm
If Honda or any other manif' doesn't want any part of the 2 stroke stuff so be it. Yamaha , KTM , Husky and a couple other imported bikes will gladly take the sales. Weather anyone wants to live with their eyes closed or not.....every single year I tend to see more and more 2 strokes at the tracks. In the offroad world....the 2 strokes still rule.

This isn't coming from what we see all the big pro's that run the SX and MX nationals.....this is for the other 99.999% of the population that rides dirt bikes. When I was searching for a smaller bike to go along with my 450 , I was looking at a lot of 250's. And owning a 4 stroke 250 over a 2 stroke 250.....never crossed my mind.
WORCSRacer
3/3/2015 6:58pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2015 7:00pm
I've dropped $15k on new bikes this year, Kawasaki, Honda and Suzuki were never even considered. I just don't care anymore, I don't care whether they pull their heads out of their asses, I don't care whether they keep wasting money on SX and honestly I don't care if their Motorcyxle divisions go away. if they are so stupid as to not make what people want to buy then they deserve to be plowed under. Good riddance. They've lost sight of the golden rule, he who has the gold makes the rules. They need our gold, we don't need their bikes.
3/3/2015 7:01pm
Whilst Honda is generally not a fan of 2 stroke, HRC is all about racing. So 4 strokes are the better race bike at the moment, so that's the bike Honda will build. Back in the day Honda produced many 2 stroke race bikes. Obviously the motocross CR model (80, 85, 125, 250 and 500) but also in road racing with the NSR50, RS125, RS250, RSW250, NSR500V and NSR500 (not available to the public though, strictly HRC). You also had many different models within those models. You also had the NS and NSR 2 stroke road bikes (NS250F, NS400, NSR250 MC16, 18, 21, 28) as well as others such as the MXV250.

My point is, many of the advantages of the 2 strokes, or in other words, the downsides of the 4 strokes have now been solved and the 4 stroke engine is a better engine for racing and everyday use. They're also more efficient which is a philosophy that Honda follows.

I will say this though, whilst their 4 stroke whipper snippers (weed wackers for 'Mericans) are more expensive, I think they're worth it. How a 4 stroke engine can be that small, light and powerful is amazing.

It's a shame they won't get back into 2 strokes but like other have mentioned, there are plenty of other options out there. Plus, you have Service Honda. Expensive, but you can buy Honda 2 strokes, new. Perhaps not as refined but still the next best thing. And anyway, 2 strokes won't make a comeback until direct injection is on a production possible.
kiwifan
3/3/2015 7:13pm
Whilst Honda is generally not a fan of 2 stroke, HRC is all about racing. So 4 strokes are the better race bike at the moment...
Whilst Honda is generally not a fan of 2 stroke, HRC is all about racing. So 4 strokes are the better race bike at the moment, so that's the bike Honda will build. Back in the day Honda produced many 2 stroke race bikes. Obviously the motocross CR model (80, 85, 125, 250 and 500) but also in road racing with the NSR50, RS125, RS250, RSW250, NSR500V and NSR500 (not available to the public though, strictly HRC). You also had many different models within those models. You also had the NS and NSR 2 stroke road bikes (NS250F, NS400, NSR250 MC16, 18, 21, 28) as well as others such as the MXV250.

My point is, many of the advantages of the 2 strokes, or in other words, the downsides of the 4 strokes have now been solved and the 4 stroke engine is a better engine for racing and everyday use. They're also more efficient which is a philosophy that Honda follows.

I will say this though, whilst their 4 stroke whipper snippers (weed wackers for 'Mericans) are more expensive, I think they're worth it. How a 4 stroke engine can be that small, light and powerful is amazing.

It's a shame they won't get back into 2 strokes but like other have mentioned, there are plenty of other options out there. Plus, you have Service Honda. Expensive, but you can buy Honda 2 strokes, new. Perhaps not as refined but still the next best thing. And anyway, 2 strokes won't make a comeback until direct injection is on a production possible.
well said....
kiwifan
3/3/2015 7:15pm
WORCSRacer wrote:
I've dropped $15k on new bikes this year, Kawasaki, Honda and Suzuki were never even considered. I just don't care anymore, I don't care whether they...
I've dropped $15k on new bikes this year, Kawasaki, Honda and Suzuki were never even considered. I just don't care anymore, I don't care whether they pull their heads out of their asses, I don't care whether they keep wasting money on SX and honestly I don't care if their Motorcyxle divisions go away. if they are so stupid as to not make what people want to buy then they deserve to be plowed under. Good riddance. They've lost sight of the golden rule, he who has the gold makes the rules. They need our gold, we don't need their bikes.
Seems they sell plenty enough as it is, so they are probably not missing your money....point I am trying to make is that them not selling 2 strokes has not dimmed their sales to the point that they have to change their way of thinking. Whether that will change or not is pure speculation.
JW381
3/3/2015 7:21pm
I don't buy new bikes anyway. But if and when I do, it will likely be whichever brand still makes new 2-strokes.
kiwifan
3/3/2015 7:24pm
JW381 wrote:
I don't buy new bikes anyway. But if and when I do, it will likely be whichever brand still makes new 2-strokes.
will you buy a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke?
jeffro503
3/3/2015 7:27pm
JW381 wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
Didn't he pretty much say 2 stroke? ( He already owns a really nice CR 250 )

And btw Justin.....how you feeling man?
kiwifan
3/3/2015 7:40pm
JW381 wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
Didn't he pretty much say 2 stroke? ( He already owns a really nice CR 250 )

And btw Justin.....how you feeling man?
oh yeah sorry he did too lol

Well good on him, there are some very nice 2 strokes around
3/3/2015 7:42pm

Like music. Wink
exactly!!
I had no problem spending 6500 on a new husky 250.
Would I have spent that (more like 8000) an a new 4t?? not a chance!

Post a reply to: What is HRC’s stance on two-stroke....

The Latest