What if the Nationals went away and the factories forced the AMA riders to race MXGP?

rcm406
Edited Date/Time 9/25/2016 4:41pm
We would have a MXON every weekend!Woohoo it wouldn't hurt my feelings if that happened. That's the only way we would get the best racing every weekend. MXGP is starting to grow on me with the product they put out. Just a thought.
|
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/25/2016 4:49pm
rcm406 wrote:
We would have a MXON every weekend!:woohoo: it wouldn't hurt my feelings if that happened. That's the only way we would get the best racing every...
We would have a MXON every weekend!Woohoo it wouldn't hurt my feelings if that happened. That's the only way we would get the best racing every weekend. MXGP is starting to grow on me with the product they put out. Just a thought.
The Supercross and MXGP schedule overlap on multiple weekends, so that wouldn't work. Secondly, most of the manufactures have factory teams on that side of the pond already, so there wouldn't be a need for most of the teams over here, along with a lot of riders losing their rides/jobs.
9/25/2016 4:53pm
It could be cool if they combined the MXGP and the US nationals for a 6 race "title cup" or something.

All 6 races count towards the us national and the MXGP point standings.

3 races in the US, 3 races over there.

I mean why not.
kiwifan
9/25/2016 4:53pm
It would be a sad day if they happened in the USA, but if factories did leave I think the satellite teams would be more common. But as ML said the clash with SX would be an issue as well as the costs to race in different countries, just cant see that working.

I think we are blessed that the factories continue to support racing in the USA, next time you (anyone on Vital) wants to bag any of them for not producing 2 strokes, or not liking some changes they made on a new model, etc...then perhaps think again.

TXDirt
9/25/2016 4:54pm
It would be great. Take top 15 from ama and top 15 from MXGP. Epic races week after week.

Pipe dreams....

The Shop

9/25/2016 5:04pm
Maybe a six race shootout of combined Gp and US riders here in Australia , run what you brung series!

Neutral ground.lol.
jmx411
9/25/2016 5:07pm
This race is so great because it's a one time event. You can get to much of a good thing.
olds cool
9/25/2016 5:18pm
Once upon a time in motoland there was this awesome thing called the Trans-AMA series that was not a fairy tale. But as the sport "progressed" it became "collateral damage". And as Forrest would say, "That's all I've got to say about that".
motogrady
9/25/2016 5:41pm
rcm406 wrote:
We would have a MXON every weekend!:woohoo: it wouldn't hurt my feelings if that happened. That's the only way we would get the best racing every...

And what, have 16 USGPs?

magoo1982
9/25/2016 6:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2016 2:33am
olds cool wrote:
Once upon a time in motoland there was this awesome thing called the Trans-AMA series that was not a fairy tale. But as the sport "progressed"...
Once upon a time in motoland there was this awesome thing called the Trans-AMA series that was not a fairy tale. But as the sport "progressed" it became "collateral damage". And as Forrest would say, "That's all I've got to say about that".
Yes , The Greatest races the U.S. ever saw...Best riders in the World , Aberg ,Hallman ,Hansen ,Hammergren ,Mikkola ,Jonsson ,Weil, Karsmakers Bauer,Allan ,DeCoster ,Robert ,Geboers ,Rahier , Lamppu,Halm, Stodulka, The Jones DeWayne and Gary , Desoto , Lackey ,Pomeroys , Weinert , Semics ,Hartwig ,Tony D ,Stackable ,Staten, West, Ellis, Smith , Cooke , Priddy, Chaplin ,Eirstedt , Grossi s , Blackwell ,Howerton, Hannah ,Tripes ,Burgett ,Murphy , Kadulski ,Penton ,Burleson , Higgins ,Defeo ,Mann,Thorwaldson,Runyard , Chandler,Schultz , Sun , Glover ,Bell ETC.. The people that were lucky enough to witness these riders and races .know that nothing in U S compares today.. I know people will disagree that are supercross oriented ,BUT you don't know what u missed.. Supercross is boring compared to this ...Flame on uneducated race fans ...
lestat
9/25/2016 6:02pm
I think the inevitable expansion of the supercross series will be the demise of the ama nats (in their current form) . The overlap will cause riders to choose SX only or MX only , and the longer and more high profile MXGP series will become the more lucrative outdoor series . The ama nats will still exist , but on a much reduced level , more like the nationals series of other countries , like Belgium or Australia for example .
9/25/2016 6:10pm
ML512 wrote:
The Supercross and MXGP schedule overlap on multiple weekends, so that wouldn't work. Secondly, most of the manufactures have factory teams on that side of the...
The Supercross and MXGP schedule overlap on multiple weekends, so that wouldn't work. Secondly, most of the manufactures have factory teams on that side of the pond already, so there wouldn't be a need for most of the teams over here, along with a lot of riders losing their rides/jobs.
In a better world, there'd be no Supercross. Problem solved.
early
Fantasy
2231st
9/25/2016 6:39pm
If you havent noticed, especially in the most recent past, many of the top MXGP riders are giving 110% at the MXDN vs the regular series. Its a one and done race where you dont have to think about next week. Todays racing was great throughout the field, far better than most GP rounds and its not just because there were a few Americans there. It would not be replicated over an entire series.

If anything the combination of Americans running with the GP guys the last few weeks has proven that if JH wants some competition hes going to have to follow Gajser to the US because hes going to own the GPs for a long time.
jeffro503
9/25/2016 6:41pm
Love or hate SX....it's here to stay , as it makes a ton of money with huge exposure. I do however really wish we could get all the fast guys together more than just one race a year. Everyone is invited to the MXoN's races for that special one-off event , but as of right now , we had 2 USGP's here this year with only a couple American's showing up.

We need to have more of our riders do those USGP's....and we also need to return the favor and send some guys over to do a few of the regular MXGP's across the pond!

A couple years ago team Suzuki had CD25 and KS22 come over and race Unadilla , and if I remember right , the year before they had CD25 do Washougal.

It's awesome seeing both series combine to make for some great racing. Both sides have some awesome talent....we need to get them together more often.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/25/2016 6:42pm
In a better world, there'd be no Supercross. Problem solved.
But I'm not dealing with theoretical land, I'm talking about reality.
dkg
9/25/2016 8:07pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Love or hate SX....it's here to stay , as it makes a ton of money with huge exposure. I do however really wish we could get...
Love or hate SX....it's here to stay , as it makes a ton of money with huge exposure. I do however really wish we could get all the fast guys together more than just one race a year. Everyone is invited to the MXoN's races for that special one-off event , but as of right now , we had 2 USGP's here this year with only a couple American's showing up.

We need to have more of our riders do those USGP's....and we also need to return the favor and send some guys over to do a few of the regular MXGP's across the pond!

A couple years ago team Suzuki had CD25 and KS22 come over and race Unadilla , and if I remember right , the year before they had CD25 do Washougal.

It's awesome seeing both series combine to make for some great racing. Both sides have some awesome talent....we need to get them together more often.
I would like to see at least one race a year where we truly had the best participating. The racers at MXDN do not necessarily represent the set of best riders due to many factors. Just think who was missing this year. Kenny, Eli, Dungey, Marvin, etc. we only had three of the top talent from our entire series in attendance.
Fat Fingers
9/25/2016 8:22pm
Imagine if Rossi only got to race Marquez and Lorenzo once or twice a year.
9/25/2016 8:30pm
ML512 wrote:
But I'm not dealing with theoretical land, I'm talking about reality.
It was a hypothetical question to begin with. I stick by everything I wrote. Screw Supercross; it's NASCAR on two wheels and dirt.
mmcmx
9/26/2016 12:37am
Instead of around 40 factory well (or decently) paid riders you would have only 20. The more series the better.
Question
9/26/2016 2:00am

As already said:
SX season: already too long, little interest/excitment in the last 5 races and the chase thing is not a good idea since it is unfair.
Outdoor season: maybe 2 races shorter could be good. (although usually the hype is still there with some euros coming in August and some rookies making their debut)
MXGP: the season starts too early (+2 races shorter could be good), April was good because it was giving the opportunities for great euro riders to race the West Coast. Roczen could not have become what he is now with the current schedule.

The 22 rounds thing, they are trying to fix something that is working with a solution that will not really work, and not fixing what is not working. What is really missing is:
A trans-AMA, 2 rounds in the US, 2 rounds in Europe (and 2 neutral rounds, i.e. Japan, Australia, Qatar?)
A real 6 rounds SX championship in europe during the winter (which could include also the Australian top riders) where the title means something.

Maybe a key is:
To make it easy for everybody to watch MX/SX (1 channel or 1 click no proxy etc)
Usually at the same 2 hours time slots every week end so the TV guys know the slot is taken 4 times out of 5 (there is racing almost every week end globally: SX, Nationals/GP, TransAMA, MXdN, WorldSX with MEC/Australia/UK/etc)
Free of commercials during racing (commercials before, after, not during, or just 1 max!)

Motofinne
9/26/2016 2:07am Edited Date/Time 9/26/2016 2:09am
Not at all impossible. Already rumors about an expansion of the SX season. YS expanding more into US, we have already 2 USGP. It seems like MX Sports/the nationals are getting more and more neglected/pushed away? That is just how it seems like from an outside perspective.

Especially if they(Monster, Feld) decide to take SX international(they should).

The optimal situation would be to have one big SX series and one big MX series.
Motofinne
9/26/2016 2:11am
rcm406 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
The Supercross and MXGP schedule overlap on multiple weekends, so that wouldn't work. Secondly, most of the manufactures have factory teams on that side of the...
True, but i'm pretty sure that YS would change that in a heartbeat. The possibility to get a big chunk of top US riders/teams to the GPs? Loungo would do anything to make that happen.
Huckster
9/26/2016 3:52am
magoo1982 wrote:
Yes , The Greatest races the U.S. ever saw...Best riders in the World , Aberg ,Hallman ,Hansen ,Hammergren ,Mikkola ,Jonsson ,Weil, Karsmakers Bauer,Allan ,DeCoster ,Robert ,Geboers...
Yes , The Greatest races the U.S. ever saw...Best riders in the World , Aberg ,Hallman ,Hansen ,Hammergren ,Mikkola ,Jonsson ,Weil, Karsmakers Bauer,Allan ,DeCoster ,Robert ,Geboers ,Rahier , Lamppu,Halm, Stodulka, The Jones DeWayne and Gary , Desoto , Lackey ,Pomeroys , Weinert , Semics ,Hartwig ,Tony D ,Stackable ,Staten, West, Ellis, Smith , Cooke , Priddy, Chaplin ,Eirstedt , Grossi s , Blackwell ,Howerton, Hannah ,Tripes ,Burgett ,Murphy , Kadulski ,Penton ,Burleson , Higgins ,Defeo ,Mann,Thorwaldson,Runyard , Chandler,Schultz , Sun , Glover ,Bell ETC.. The people that were lucky enough to witness these riders and races .know that nothing in U S compares today.. I know people will disagree that are supercross oriented ,BUT you don't know what u missed.. Supercross is boring compared to this ...Flame on uneducated race fans ...
Those were the best. Fall racing at Unadilla!!! Nothing like seeing all the exotic Euro bikes, gear and riders compete against all the Best USA guys.
themrtoad
9/26/2016 4:59am
Motofinne wrote:
Not at all impossible. Already rumors about an expansion of the SX season. YS expanding more into US, we have already 2 USGP. It seems like...
Not at all impossible. Already rumors about an expansion of the SX season. YS expanding more into US, we have already 2 USGP. It seems like MX Sports/the nationals are getting more and more neglected/pushed away? That is just how it seems like from an outside perspective.

Especially if they(Monster, Feld) decide to take SX international(they should).

The optimal situation would be to have one big SX series and one big MX series.
I totally agree with you here Motofinne.
YamahaJT1
9/26/2016 5:55am Edited Date/Time 9/26/2016 5:56am
Nationals go away? That'll never happen, nor should it! "Globalization" of Moto? I hope to never see it.

I go to 2 Nats per year, High Point and Budds Creek.

Attending a National:

It is a TON of work to attend "correctly". All the prep work, food, camping, hauling coolers in wagons up and down massive hills, getting filthy, hanging out with Stank, sleep depravation, walking the pits and meeting the riders, getting buzzed/sober/buzzed, sunburn and/or mud, meeting new MX buddies, checking out the gals, and ass-kicking racing. Go home exhausted but happy.

Attending a Supercross event:

Asking your GF "Hon, did you press my Banana Republics?" and hanging out on an asphalt parking lot. Planting my ass in a plastic seat. Pretty much like going to a baseball/football game. Go home clean and somewhat happy.

I am really against expanding Supercross, but I do see the benefit in growing the sport, as they are easy to attend and in urban areas. Budds and High Point are pretty remote for some folks. So are several of the other tracks.

I say expand the Nationals, and work in the 2 USGP's into a mid-series timeframe that meshes with both AMA and MXGP. The "rivalry" between the two series is "VITAL"

Nighttrain
9/26/2016 6:08am
lestat wrote:
I think the inevitable expansion of the supercross series will be the demise of the ama nats (in their current form) . The overlap will cause...
I think the inevitable expansion of the supercross series will be the demise of the ama nats (in their current form) . The overlap will cause riders to choose SX only or MX only , and the longer and more high profile MXGP series will become the more lucrative outdoor series . The ama nats will still exist , but on a much reduced level , more like the nationals series of other countries , like Belgium or Australia for example .
This is what I've been thinking. I hope we're wrong.
9/26/2016 12:26pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2016 12:27pm
lestat wrote:
I think the inevitable expansion of the supercross series will be the demise of the ama nats (in their current form) . The overlap will cause...
If that's ever the case, then the personnel split will be unchanged: a few Europeans will come to the US and run Supercross, and almost all Americans will flat refuse to go to Europe and run MXGP (even if someone offers enough money).

People get what they deserve, and Americans deserve stadium racing.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
9/26/2016 4:59pm
rcm406 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
not to mention that every other major country has their own professional series running. Theoretically, or technically, the GP's should be considered one step above the ama series in terms of global competition, but realistically its just a European mx series Wink .

Jimmy_Sloan
9/26/2016 5:00pm
If that happened then Dungey would not only be the national champion but he would be the world champion.
magoo1982
9/27/2016 7:17am
magoo1982 wrote:
Yes , The Greatest races the U.S. ever saw...Best riders in the World , Aberg ,Hallman ,Hansen ,Hammergren ,Mikkola ,Jonsson ,Weil, Karsmakers Bauer,Allan ,DeCoster ,Robert ,Geboers...
Huckster wrote:
Those were the best. Fall racing at Unadilla!!! Nothing like seeing all the exotic Euro bikes, gear and riders compete against all the Best USA guys.
AMEN Brother !!!! Nothing topped that , sort of like Woodstock Moto style !

Post a reply to: What if the Nationals went away and the factories forced the AMA riders to race MXGP?

The Latest