What has DA63 accomplished with his video series?

40Plus_922mx
8/30/2013 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2013 4:42pm
While I was watching his final episode I heard him asking people, "should we do it next year" referring to another film documentary. We'll come back to that.

I think his efforts to put out this series, and a little help from industry peeps promoting his videos, he has only scratched the surface as to the effects it could have on his career next year and in the future.

While we all like to hear the stories of all the top guys DA has created a market for himself and found those whole really like the flavor of a true privateers efforts behind the scenes. Plus he is such a likable guy in a sport that is full of attitudes. A breath of fresh air

To answer his question about whether or not he should put out another series? I say ABSOLUTELY! (sorry about the caps OC.) In fact he should document the next few months of his everyday life, training, and deciding what to do next to keep all of his fans in touch as he anticipates Supercross or over seas or what have you. The series isn't necessarily about motocross. It is about Derek. He is the star of the show and he has gained many fans. I think he should really consider his opportunity here. It can only help to further promote himself and gain valuable exposure that will bring him much needed revenue he would not have had a chance to acquire. What do you guys think?

I hope the best for this guy.
|
ocscottie
8/30/2013 3:11pm
..a whole BOATLOAD of new fans! in our Practice and Race Bench racing threads we always had a group of guys looking out for him and cheering for him to get into the points.

IMO it was one of the highlights of the summer. During the week two things i always looked fwd to, the GoPro's and new episode of MvM.

Well done Derek and MSR deserves major props for making it happen.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
8/30/2013 3:12pm
How many people would know him by name/face if he didn't do the series? Great way for him to market himself and standout from those that are on the bubble of earning points/qualifying position. Lucky for him more haven't picked up on this or don't have the technical skills to do a series like this for themselves.
500guy
8/30/2013 3:13pm
I give up Who is DA63 ?
elmo
8/30/2013 3:18pm Edited Date/Time 8/30/2013 3:19pm
Derek is an all around great guy, and I was very honored to do a VitalMX edit with him shortly before Hangtown. His whole summer documentary concept is an amazing way for a privateer to market themselves, keep sponsors happy, and more. I hope we continue to see his series grow and grow each year!

The Shop

watson
8/30/2013 3:28pm
500guy wrote:
I give up Who is DA63 ?
Dak Millicent- but I could be wrong.

In my opinion, his video series is one of the most brilliant ways to market yourself. Just like Transworld Shadow (before MX Sports or NBC made them quit using actual practice/ race footage), I always love the behind the scenes look at Pro racing.

He should certainly do it again, no doubt.
ocscottie
8/30/2013 3:35pm
500guy wrote:
I give up Who is DA63 ?
I know yer prob just being you lol but...for those also wondering go HERE now!
peelout
8/30/2013 3:46pm
i really enjoyed the series and DA definitely made a fan out of me, where before his name would have been a fart in the wind
Huckster
8/30/2013 4:02pm
I really enjoyed the show and have watched every episode since it started. The editing is great and whoever is doing it really captures more than just a moto racer. I hope he gets his dream ride, but I would love to see another season. This is truely reality tv for moto......

Just curious, I would love to know what his sponsors think about it. This is a cruel industry and almost everything comes down to ROI. I hope it's working out for his sponsors enough to continue.
lukaitis9
8/30/2013 4:46pm
Derek is a great guy and the series has been excellent for bringing attention to him. I've been able to work with him for the past 2 seasons as part of my job and he's been fantastic.

In fact he was one of only a few support riders I worked with to thank me for supporting his efforts at the end of the season. A class act.

I would love to see him in a semi or support deal moving forward.

Huckster asks about how his sponsors feel about it. I can't honestly say anyone has come up to me and said they are buying Bel-Ray because we support him but I do get comments whenever we post his videos on our FB page.

Maybe not a direct ROI but it isn't always the case with racer support.
Regis
Fantasy
359th
8/30/2013 4:50pm Edited Date/Time 8/30/2013 5:05pm
I truly believe this series is awesome.

I can relate. A lot of people can. I did races like this. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. I lived life to the fullest and appreciate those days now more than ever. The last episode actually choked me up a little bit as I understood completely the triumph he felt, even with 20th place finishes. His family, people rallying for you, the girl by his side... Like I said, if you truly are aa fan of MX and what it is about, this story and webisodes should move you.

He will have these memories forever and that is worth more than any amount of money.

I don't know what he wants to do with this series, but man..... I forwarded a couple of the episodes to some people that could maybe do something.

Something like this, would appeal to the masses. It has enough elements to keep non moto fans captivated. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, comedy, the love of family..... We all want something on TV to show the true story of MX, this could be it.
RonSkj
Fantasy
141st
8/30/2013 5:14pm
lukaitis9 wrote:
Derek is a great guy and the series has been excellent for bringing attention to him. I've been able to work with him for the past...
Derek is a great guy and the series has been excellent for bringing attention to him. I've been able to work with him for the past 2 seasons as part of my job and he's been fantastic.

In fact he was one of only a few support riders I worked with to thank me for supporting his efforts at the end of the season. A class act.

I would love to see him in a semi or support deal moving forward.

Huckster asks about how his sponsors feel about it. I can't honestly say anyone has come up to me and said they are buying Bel-Ray because we support him but I do get comments whenever we post his videos on our FB page.

Maybe not a direct ROI but it isn't always the case with racer support.
Well let me be the first.. I will buy Bel-Ray, because you supported DA63.
6-wheelz
8/30/2013 6:56pm
ocscottie wrote:
..a whole BOATLOAD of new fans! in our Practice and Race Bench racing threads we always had a group of guys looking out for him and...
..a whole BOATLOAD of new fans! in our Practice and Race Bench racing threads we always had a group of guys looking out for him and cheering for him to get into the points.

IMO it was one of the highlights of the summer. During the week two things i always looked fwd to, the GoPro's and new episode of MvM.

Well done Derek and MSR deserves major props for making it happen.
What he said ^^^^
Presley155
8/30/2013 7:26pm
Regis wrote:
I truly believe this series is awesome. I can relate. A lot of people can. I did races like this. I wouldn't trade those memories for...

I can relate. A lot of people can. I did races like this. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. I lived life to the fullest and appreciate those days now more than ever. The last episode actually choked me up a little bit as I understood completely the triumph he felt, even with 20th place finishes. His family, people rallying for you, the girl by his side... Like I said, if you truly are aa fan of MX and what it is about, this story and webisodes should move you.

He will have these memories forever and that is worth more than any amount of money.

I don't know what he wants to do with this series, but man..... I forwarded a couple of the episodes to some people that could maybe do something.

Something like this, would appeal to the masses. It has enough elements to keep non moto fans captivated. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, comedy, the love of family..... We all want something on TV to show the true story of MX, this could be it.
Absolutely nailed it. Man vs. Moto is real deal human emotion. How can a 10 minute web show get me choked up, pumped up, and excited all in a single episode? Fantastic series.
chillrich
8/30/2013 7:30pm
Man vs Moto gave us a very honest look into privateer moto and what to expect if we make it to that level. Thank You DA
friday10
8/30/2013 7:37pm
Regis wrote:
I truly believe this series is awesome. I can relate. A lot of people can. I did races like this. I wouldn't trade those memories for...

Tell me you don't get a little choked up re living your time while watching his videos Regis!
500guy
8/30/2013 7:37pm
500guy wrote:
I give up Who is DA63 ?
ocscottie wrote:
I honestly didn't know, I will check some of this stuff out.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
8/30/2013 7:40pm
I had never heard if him and I am now a fan ..
U hope he continues the video and continues to get support!
RealityZ
8/30/2013 7:52pm
300,000 + views from a non factory rider.

He's relatable, accesible and all around good dude.

Fan here!
Regis
Fantasy
359th
8/30/2013 7:58pm
Regis wrote:

friday10 wrote:
Tell me you don't get a little choked up re living your time while watching his videos Regis!
Absolutely I did.

Each episode brought different memories. We had a "extra" cab f150 and a enclosed trailer for 98. Most epic summer of my life. Chris Wheeler and I. Linking up with others along the way. The races were cool but the time in between was what made it epic. Seeing the country with a best friend. Fighting when you got in each others nerves, but soon realizing you had no one else to talk to... I have so many great tailgate stories from those months.

That last episode, I could feel what he was feeling. Relief, sadness, happy it's over but don't want it to end.... So awesome.

Even if he doesn't "have to do it", I think he should. To continue the story. Years later he will have a whole career at the touch of a button.... I would GIVE ANYTHING to be able to go back and watch pieces of what we did and show my kids.
Slow450
8/30/2013 8:14pm
I'm more interested in watching Derek race and hearing his story than anyone else out there. It's awesome to see how far he's come from the Eastbound and Down series a couple years ago. Rooting for him to keep improving and having fun!
ocscottie
8/30/2013 8:17pm
Thanks for chiming in Reeg, i knew you would fully "get it" i remember the calls i would get from Nealer after a weekend of scoring points in both motos...or the dejection of having his tongue in his spokes at the 20min mark at Southwick and just trying to survive. After i got hurt i somewhat lived vicariously through his racing, as we dreamed of traveling together racing since we were in diapers. A lot of people dont know what a true privateer goes through, its a tough time, but its a great time! (especially back in the 90's Whistling )
KMC440
8/30/2013 8:47pm
Marketing is EVERYTHING, Derek has a niche for the camera and his GF running the camera gives all of us a "blue collar" hero to pull for. Why? Because we all wanted to be him. On the verge of success and we all want to pull for the underdog. See DA63 doesn't have name recognition or the pedigree of a 292 kid. So he has to make a splash some other way, which he understands, and captivates some in the "core" mx crowd and possibly some outside that crowd.

Remember the old saying "the only bad press is NO press"... (read CR22 into that comment) well DA has himself in a unique situation whereas if he goes "factory" and bails on the series he'll be seen in a negative light. So whomever he signs with will have to be prepared for a little extra production going on. Which I hope they understand and allow.

Good for you Derek. The insight you've given ,however painful at times, shows the side of our sport we usually had to wait 9 months and hope some schmuck reporter asked the right question to get the answer you offered willingly.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1704th
8/30/2013 9:30pm
He's gained a stack of happy sponsors, opportunity to gain more support to go racing, and a ton of fans.

It's tough for privateers to get support, especially financial because they aren't in the limelight as much, Derek is helping solve that problem.

As a sponsor, one of the hardest parts about supporting a privateer is many people don't even recognize their names, Derek has changed that game for himself.
fullfloater
Fantasy
14th
8/31/2013 1:16am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2013 1:18am
500guy wrote:
I give up Who is DA63 ?
ocscottie wrote:
500guy wrote:
I honestly didn't know, I will check some of this stuff out.
Too busy derailing 2-stroke threads to even notice several topics on this guy all season? Hope you see the error in your ways. Agree with everything OC said in post #2.
philG
8/31/2013 2:58am
He is a stand out type of guy, working hard living a life we all think we want , but probably wouldn't last a week doing , and has tapped into that .

I always watch for him on the ticker , was glad to see he gave it a second shot , i think that people will watch anything he does now because he has a following , and as a privateer, that hard to get ,on national level.
Claerhout
Fantasy
296th
8/31/2013 8:15am
Must see TV. Best show I've ever watched. His positive attitude, humbleness, and genuine appreciation towards all who helped him was what really got me hooked. He set realistic expectations and usually met them. You could tell that last race he was just pumped on his year, having a good time, staying healthy and finishing strong with his family and friends(and a bunch of new fans) in his corner. Who can blame him for breaking down. I'm grateful for being able to go along for the ride!
Socket946
8/31/2013 11:22am
I bought MSR gear because of DA63.
RMT
8/31/2013 11:25am
I think the series is so good because it shows everything except the actual race. Most fans only see the race and never the struggle to get there. Most of us racers can relate with his struggles and enjoy every minute of it. I think this series is the best , most real depiction of motorcycle racing ever. I don't even think Mr. Anderson knows what he has done with this series. His emotion at the end and then when he and his dad hugged.... Well if you didn't feel anything from that, you have no heart.

Post a reply to: What has DA63 accomplished with his video series?

The Latest