What happened to all the "trick" stuff?

Pat327
10/8/2009 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2009 4:15pm
Tiki wrote:
2003 RC250. Might not look like a works bike, but look closely at the frame and you'll see that it's not stock. Under the rules of...
2003 RC250. Might not look like a works bike, but look closely at the frame and you'll see that it's not stock.

Under the rules of the game, the frame has to be production. I have that image at home as a wall paper, what is not stock about it? That was the Japanese Race Bike. Pretty much identical to what they raced over here 03
Look at the welds. The stock bike has one long weld connecting the two pieces of the main spar. The works bike has two short welds. Look at the upper shock mounts. Check out the part of the frame that the radiator cover mounts to. Look at the thicknesses and the bends in the main spars. They're different. The bottom one is a bone stock 2003 CR250.

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
10/8/2009 3:57pm
There's some trick stuff on Bubba's bike. I just posted some shots in the photo section.
newmann
10/8/2009 4:00pm
GuyB wrote:
There's lots of trick stuff these days. But a chunk of it is in suspension internals, and fuel and ignition maps. That stuff doesn't show up...
There's lots of trick stuff these days. But a chunk of it is in suspension internals, and fuel and ignition maps. That stuff doesn't show up very well in photos. Wink
newmann wrote:
Yeah yeah yeah whatever GuyB. We all know that the really trick suspension internals DO show up well in photos! [img]https://www.robandrewsmx.com/uploads/images/full/Ribi-forked%20Factory%20Honda%20RC250.jpg[/img]
Yeah yeah yeah whatever GuyB. We all know that the really trick suspension internals DO show up well in photos!

Wow--It's been a long time since I've seen that thing. I actually saw someone testing that thing once. I think it was like 82-83 when I...
Wow--It's been a long time since I've seen that thing. I actually saw someone testing that thing once. I think it was like 82-83 when I saw it at Indian Dunes. The Japs were out there and it was like they were government officials gaurding a UFO.. They had a boarder set up around their box van,seecurity looking out for picture takers and the bike was covered at all times when they weren't working on it or riding it....Nothing was more trick then the Mugen though.
Got one of those too! Who as a kid didn't drool over those bikes back then? A works bike actually offered to the public. Only stock parts were the wheels and the lower end of the engine except of course for the clutch cover which was swapped for the Mugen cover with the water pump in it. Everything else for the most part was top notch all the way down to the Metzelers ,39mm Works Showas and Ohlins shocks. Sexiest damn dirt bike ever built. And MXA rated it as the best dirt bike ever when they tested it for the June or July 1980 issue. Stock bike was around $1300.00, Mugen $3995.00.

The Shop

newmann
10/8/2009 4:04pm
Did Honda realize they were racing dirt bikes or was all this stuff built in a Formula One shop? The monocoque airbox/subframes and the lowboy tanks are absolute works of art.

newmann
10/8/2009 4:12pm
Would you be allowed to roll up to the line at Loretta's on a fully modded BBR aluminum framed mini with a 105cc sleeved down 125 engine in it for the supermini class these days? Almost anything was a go back in the 70's. JWRP's finest.

Replica of Ward's NMA Championship Mini Elsinore with the full on FMF modded sleeved down engine.

This thing rips! Too fast for it's own good, much respect to the kids who went fast on these back in the day.
CamP
10/8/2009 5:52pm
newmann wrote:
Got one of those too! Who as a kid didn't drool over those bikes back then? A works bike actually offered to the public. Only stock...
Got one of those too! Who as a kid didn't drool over those bikes back then? A works bike actually offered to the public. Only stock parts were the wheels and the lower end of the engine except of course for the clutch cover which was swapped for the Mugen cover with the water pump in it. Everything else for the most part was top notch all the way down to the Metzelers ,39mm Works Showas and Ohlins shocks. Sexiest damn dirt bike ever built. And MXA rated it as the best dirt bike ever when they tested it for the June or July 1980 issue. Stock bike was around $1300.00, Mugen $3995.00.

One of our local experts, Mel Newman, raced a 1980 Mugen ME. I heard that it was on a Dallas area car lot when it sold for peanuts.
newmann
10/8/2009 6:47pm
Mels bike belongs to a guy up in New Jersey now.
MPM64
10/8/2009 7:21pm
mxrose3 wrote:
Ok, what I want to know is: Why did they do away with Rotary-valved two strokes? The Can-am's and old KX's that I've ridden are rocketships...
Ok, what I want to know is: Why did they do away with Rotary-valved two strokes?
The Can-am's and old KX's that I've ridden are rocketships compared to anything else of that era. I heard that Ron Lechiens Rotary valved 83' YZ125 works bike was fast as hell too.

Not the best shot of the rotary valve motor but this bike was badass and ridden by an equally bad dude. I'll never forget watching him ring this thing out at Redbud when he was a rookie. Damn I miss pros racing nationals on 125's.

Wandell
10/8/2009 7:29pm
Yep, that rotary valved 1983 OW125 was badass. Remember Jim Gibson raced one in Europe that year also.
CamP
10/8/2009 8:11pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2009 8:12pm
mxrose3 wrote:
Ok, what I want to know is: Why did they do away with Rotary-valved two strokes? The Can-am's and old KX's that I've ridden are rocketships...
Ok, what I want to know is: Why did they do away with Rotary-valved two strokes?
The Can-am's and old KX's that I've ridden are rocketships compared to anything else of that era. I heard that Ron Lechiens Rotary valved 83' YZ125 works bike was fast as hell too.
MPM64 wrote:
[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2664/3993865465_d51a8eb8eb_o.jpg[/img] Not the best shot of the rotary valve motor but this bike was badass and ridden by an equally bad dude. I'll never forget watching...

Not the best shot of the rotary valve motor but this bike was badass and ridden by an equally bad dude. I'll never forget watching him ring this thing out at Redbud when he was a rookie. Damn I miss pros racing nationals on 125's.

Got to see Lechein win his first race on that bike at Whitney in '83. It was the trickest 125 in the pits.
PaleBlue
10/9/2009 1:56am
Larry wrote:
[IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/1958Larry/vintage%20pics/WildcatCreek_KX2501.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/1958Larry/DSC01065.jpg[/IMG]

sorry, onIy the bottom one does anything for me Dry

I guess you just had to be there and I was only into road racing in the past. MX for me is all about the rider and not so much the bike.
Larry
10/9/2009 5:49am
Larry wrote:
[IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/1958Larry/vintage%20pics/WildcatCreek_KX2501.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/1958Larry/DSC01065.jpg[/IMG]

PaleBlue wrote:
sorry, onIy the bottom one does anything for me :dry: I guess you just had to be there and I was only into road racing in...
sorry, onIy the bottom one does anything for me Dry

I guess you just had to be there and I was only into road racing in the past. MX for me is all about the rider and not so much the bike.
The top one had a hand built frame. Every time I raced it my grandfather had to re weld it back together.Smile
CRFracer117
Fantasy
3845th
10/9/2009 11:19am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:39am
Not really a works bike but still looks freaking sweet. Still runs like champ too.
80 CR125
Mugen racer
1/29/2010 6:52pm
Hey CamP, I own Mel's ME125. I left a message on his phone { I think} , If he lives in Grapevine TX. Hasn't called back yet. I wanted to document the bike that I am restoring. Does anyone have any history on the bike? What number he was? Thanks, Tony D.
jeffro503
1/29/2010 7:03pm
ocscottie wrote:
Went through a folder of pics from the 09SX and found some pretty neat goodies, i know they hardly compare to the oldschool works hand built...
Went through a folder of pics from the 09SX and found some pretty neat goodies, i know they hardly compare to the oldschool works hand built 1 off shit, but there is still some sexy bits.

This billet caliper is trick shit:

WOW!! Awesome shots ou have there Scottie! You are right.....the brake caliper gave me a damn woody! Some sexy looking pics for sure!
jeffro503
1/29/2010 7:03pm
ocscottie wrote:
Went through a folder of pics from the 09SX and found some pretty neat goodies, i know they hardly compare to the oldschool works hand built...
Went through a folder of pics from the 09SX and found some pretty neat goodies, i know they hardly compare to the oldschool works hand built 1 off shit, but there is still some sexy bits.

This billet caliper is trick shit:

WOW!! Awesome shots ou have there Scottie! You are right.....the brake caliper gave me a damn woody! Some sexy looking pics for sure!
newmann
1/29/2010 8:54pm
Hey CamP, I own Mel's ME125. I left a message on his phone { I think} , If he lives in Grapevine TX. Hasn't called back...
Hey CamP, I own Mel's ME125. I left a message on his phone { I think} , If he lives in Grapevine TX. Hasn't called back yet. I wanted to document the bike that I am restoring. Does anyone have any history on the bike? What number he was? Thanks, Tony D.
How are things Tony? I have a few pics at work on my computer of Mel from back then on the Mugen. Really poor quality, but pics nonetheless! I talked to Mel a few months back at one of the TVRC events near Dallas. Think my brother has all of his contact info. Post up some pics of the resto. What all is left to do?
CamP
1/29/2010 9:21pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2010 9:24pm
Hey CamP, I own Mel's ME125. I left a message on his phone { I think} , If he lives in Grapevine TX. Hasn't called back...
Hey Tony, Mel still lives here in town. I had his email but I deleted it. Hopefully Joe's brother has the contact info you need. If not, I'm sure he can get it from somebody in the TVRC. Jimmy Spring may have pics of Mel's Mugen too. I seem to remember Jimmy and Mel being joined at the hip back then.
jemcee
1/29/2010 9:27pm
scottie i see our chairs aren't the only thing we have in common

i also have most of those pics in my "factory folder" on my computer full of machined bits cool stuff and one offs but i don't know how to post pics so you'll all have to imagine just how cool my pics are... kinda like the new factory parts guyb was talking about
slomoto
1/29/2010 9:29pm
late 70s and early 80s when they were real factory bikes!
Flatliner
1/29/2010 9:48pm
real factory bikes were before my time as a rider, but the production rule did make what we all get to ride a lot better. Not to be captain obvious of course.
Lightning78
1/29/2010 10:59pm
Pat327 wrote:
1995 RC250Aluminum framed 1994 RC2502003 RC250. Might not look like a works bike, but look closely at the frame and you'll see that it's not stock.
1995 RC250

Aluminum framed 1994 RC250

2003 RC250. Might not look like a works bike, but look closely at the frame and you'll see that it's not stock.

Hey pat327....where did you get that pic of the 2003 RC250??? That's very similar if not the same bike that Transworld had up a while ago around 2005 it was supposed to be the 4 generation Aluminum framed CR250 they had it at the Japan nationals.

Donn can you please see if you can find the pics of the bike? It looked awesome, similar to a CRF250....too bad it never saw production that 03 is close but not quite as radical as the one that TWMX took a pic of and posted it on their site....I can't find it anywhere does anyone know what bike im talking about????
Pat327
1/30/2010 12:17am
I don't remember where I got it, but here's another one I have.

Pat327
1/30/2010 12:44am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2010 1:48am
Honda's 1991 aluminum-framed RC250MA with their forward-kicking HFT engine.

As the automatic transmission HMT for motocross racing machines required high efficiency and reduced weight, while the principles were derived from the “HRD transmission”, the system configuration had evolved to a completely different, hydraulic mechanical transmission system with the pump and the motor laid on a common axis. The system was made more compact and light in weight by increasing the working pressure (normal working pressure: 44MPa, maximum working pressure 80MPa). Furthermore, the construction that prevents leakage of high pressure fluid was applied to various places in the unit, thus allowing the system to maintain the high transmission efficiency even under very high fluid pressures. One of the design features was the use of a spool-type distributor valve. Considering down-sizing of the control system and freedom of setting, the electronic control system was applied. The HMT for the motocross machine was aimed at an ideal, infinitely variable transmission that could respond discreetly to rider intentions, and accordingly it was named “HFT” (Human Fitting Transmission).

The motocross racing machine RC250MA equipped with the “HFT” won the all Japan motocross championship series in 1991, which was the second year since the debut. The “HFT” using very high pressures yet maintaining high efficiency was given intelligence through the electronic control system, and proved its potential in the real world of racing. Following the success in races, further research and development started for an application of the transmission based on “HFT” to mass-production products, and the development of HMT (hydraulic mechanical transmission) continued to the “Hondamatic” introduction in the year 2000.

CCMX
1/30/2010 10:17am
one of my E.C. Birt 80's. dark pic. will try to find some more.

Mugen racer
2/1/2010 2:45pm
Mugen update. I spoke to Mel today. He called and said he would e-mail some pics of him racing the bike. I'll post them up when I get them. I'll take pics of the bike, it's still in pieces. Locating parts is very difficult. Hey Newmann, Things are going good. The restoration is taking alot longer than I thought it would. I hope to have the bike back together by this summer. Thanks, Tony

Post a reply to: What happened to all the "trick" stuff?

The Latest