What does it feel like going from a green to yellow bike?

ChrisB10
Edited Date/Time 1/28/2016 6:57am
For those who have made the switch ?
|
Olson
1/27/2016 9:09am
Depends on what year. I went in 11 from a Kawi to a SUZSUKI. It felt like going from a drag race car to a rally car.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
1/27/2016 9:16am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2016 9:57am
Production wise... Bike balance feels quite a bit different. The 16 Kawasaki is still very stable but has more front-grip than its had in the past, making it much easier to roll into ruts. The responsive engine still likes to break the rear-end loose and create rear steer however.... depending on how you ride it, and it's a lot lighter than before.

The 16 Suzuki has a different feel than the kawi... very flat seat, with low bars stock. The front-end just always feels planted on the Suzuki and it's pretty hard to get it to push. The engine rolls on very smooth and doesn't have the same torque right off the bottom as the Kawasaki has, which makes it easier to rail through corners, but a bit harder to steer out as quickly or slide the rear like the Kawi. The Suzuki in stock trim also has quite a bit more weight this year than the Kawi... One could argue that the heavily front planted feel of the Suzuki could make it a bit trickier to get comfort out of the forks, as you tend to feel a bit of everything then.
Hudd_421
1/27/2016 9:27am
I just jumped off a 2013 KX450 to a 14 RMZ450, and I'm impressed. I've only been able to ride it once, and slowly at that coming back from injury, but its a solid bike. Excited to see how it is when I get back to speed

HenryJ77
1/27/2016 9:39am
I went from. 13 rmz 250 to a 16 kx250f. To me the the kawi feels a bit bigger but lighter. I can't decide which power curve I like more tho. I feel the Rmz has more top, I can stay in third almost around the track but with the kawi I have to be in fourth in longer straights. I do find my self wheeling out of turns on the kawi as well. I'm 5'10 148pounds and I struggle with the feel of the suspension.

The Shop

Superdave19
1/27/2016 9:54am
I came off a 13' Kawi 450, to a 15' RM-Z..
To me, the Suz is so much better. It turns so much better it's unfair. Front wheel is very predictable. The Kawi motor hit harder, but the RM is way easier to ride aggressively.. Even though it's heavy on the scales, you don't really notice it when riding. In fact I think it's close in weight compared to the 12-15 Kawi's, and feels a lot more agile-
Forty
1/27/2016 10:29am
In the real world a rider with average skills will feel better on the RMZ.

No way to tell with regards to Weimer, he likely will not say anything derogatory about either but his results should be an indicator.
40Plus_922mx
1/27/2016 10:38am
Although year models do vary, if history serves as a gauge here is the simplest description.

Green.

Yellow

kkawboy14
1/27/2016 11:00am
ML512 wrote:
Production wise... Bike balance feels quite a bit different. The 16 Kawasaki is still very stable but has more front-grip than its had in the past...
Production wise... Bike balance feels quite a bit different. The 16 Kawasaki is still very stable but has more front-grip than its had in the past, making it much easier to roll into ruts. The responsive engine still likes to break the rear-end loose and create rear steer however.... depending on how you ride it, and it's a lot lighter than before.

The 16 Suzuki has a different feel than the kawi... very flat seat, with low bars stock. The front-end just always feels planted on the Suzuki and it's pretty hard to get it to push. The engine rolls on very smooth and doesn't have the same torque right off the bottom as the Kawasaki has, which makes it easier to rail through corners, but a bit harder to steer out as quickly or slide the rear like the Kawi. The Suzuki in stock trim also has quite a bit more weight this year than the Kawi... One could argue that the heavily front planted feel of the Suzuki could make it a bit trickier to get comfort out of the forks, as you tend to feel a bit of everything then.
Slower off the bottom always leaves the front end feeling more planted!
1/27/2016 12:25pm
I had a 12 kx450, i now have a 15rmz. The kx felt longer and taller to me. The rm turns better but MXA was right, you will find religion at the end of a fast choppy straight. I have new clamps and link for that, but snow, mud and freezing temps have kept me from trying it out.
1/27/2016 12:27pm
I came off a 13' Kawi 450, to a 15' RM-Z.. To me, the Suz is so much better. It turns so much better it's unfair...
I came off a 13' Kawi 450, to a 15' RM-Z..
To me, the Suz is so much better. It turns so much better it's unfair. Front wheel is very predictable. The Kawi motor hit harder, but the RM is way easier to ride aggressively.. Even though it's heavy on the scales, you don't really notice it when riding. In fact I think it's close in weight compared to the 12-15 Kawi's, and feels a lot more agile-
Yeah, the Rm motor is more mellow. I also found it to be way quieter, and i was OJing jumps at first because I didn't think I was giving it enough throttle!Laughing
BobPA
1/27/2016 12:33pm
Forty wrote:
In the real world a rider with average skills will feel better on the RMZ. No way to tell with regards to Weimer, he likely will...
In the real world a rider with average skills will feel better on the RMZ.

No way to tell with regards to Weimer, he likely will not say anything derogatory about either but his results should be an indicator.
I respectfully disagree. I've ridden my fair share and I think the Kawi is the most predictable and easy to ride (although I have not ridden a '16 yet) of all the 450's. It also depends on what type of track you will be riding. Most of the stuff we have around here is pretty open and fast...which is where Kawi's really shines. I hear people hoot and holler about how well Suzuki's turn, but my '11 KTM will turn under any Suzuki I have been on....and it never gets head shake.

With some serup I think the RMZ could be a great setup, but out of the box Kawi's have always felt better to me.
ktm212
1/27/2016 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2016 12:36pm
The seating position is the most noticeable thing I felt, you definitely have a more cramped cockpit on the RM, lower bars, flatter seat. The motor on the KX is much broader, and I didn't have to shift nearly as much. I always felt between gears on the RM and never quite found the AMAZING handling everyone raves about. I think the KX is the better of the two overall
Titan1
1/27/2016 12:50pm
Every time I sit on an RM, I feel like I'm sitting on "top" of the bike...sitting on any other bike (KX, CR, YZ) I feel like I'm sitting "in" the bike...if that makes any sense at all. It could be the lower bars and flatter seat on the RM (both of which can be changed).
RPM68
1/27/2016 1:38pm
Although year models do vary, if history serves as a gauge here is the simplest description. [b]Green.[/b] [img]https://www.3planesoft.com/img/battleship_screen01.jpg[/img] [b]Yellow[/b] [img]https://ds4d3zl5uvpbf.cloudfront.net/thumbs/ZVRkVX2PA_640x360_0000.jpg[/img]
Although year models do vary, if history serves as a gauge here is the simplest description.

Green.

Yellow

Lol thats a win...
Grieby54
1/27/2016 1:43pm
I went from a '12 KX450F to a '14 RM-Z 450 and don't regret the change for a second. I really struggled with front end feel on my Kawi and always felt like the front end was going to push/wash any second. It was more stable in the chop.

The Suzuki will cut a tighter corner and go wherever you want by doing little more than just thinking about it. It feels lighter in the air and more nimble on the ground. It doesn't have the explosive power that the Kawi did, but the roll on power is better I have found. You'll definitely want to make sure you get the Suzuki revalved for your weight and skill to make sure it behaves the way you want it to. Having the ECU tuned by themotolab was also an incredible improvement and had me happier with the Suzuki motor than I was with the Kawi. It's a fantastic bike!
malachi177
1/27/2016 4:32pm
BobPA wrote:
I respectfully disagree. I've ridden my fair share and I think the Kawi is the most predictable and easy to ride (although I have not ridden...
I respectfully disagree. I've ridden my fair share and I think the Kawi is the most predictable and easy to ride (although I have not ridden a '16 yet) of all the 450's. It also depends on what type of track you will be riding. Most of the stuff we have around here is pretty open and fast...which is where Kawi's really shines. I hear people hoot and holler about how well Suzuki's turn, but my '11 KTM will turn under any Suzuki I have been on....and it never gets head shake.

With some serup I think the RMZ could be a great setup, but out of the box Kawi's have always felt better to me.
An '11 KTM will turn under any RMZ?Blink The new '15 and '16 pumpkins are about as good at cornering as the Zooks now...but the older platform, not a chance in hell.
mxb2
1/27/2016 4:34pm
BobPA wrote:
I respectfully disagree. I've ridden my fair share and I think the Kawi is the most predictable and easy to ride (although I have not ridden...

malachi177 wrote:
An '11 KTM will turn under any RMZ?:blink: The new '15 and '16 pumpkins are about as good at cornering as the Zooks now...but the older...
An '11 KTM will turn under any RMZ?Blink The new '15 and '16 pumpkins are about as good at cornering as the Zooks now...but the older platform, not a chance in hell.
Agreed, no way on the 2011 ktm.
BobPA
1/27/2016 5:11pm
malachi177 wrote:
An '11 KTM will turn under any RMZ?:blink: The new '15 and '16 pumpkins are about as good at cornering as the Zooks now...but the older...
I would even argue that Hondas will turn under the Zooks. I think people get to caught up with what they read on the Internet, and not how a bike actually works. Dont forget everyone's riding style is different.

The last gen RM two strokes...now that's a bike that turns...
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
1/27/2016 5:22pm
Look at it like this. at some point in any corner you probably had an issue carving what ever line it was. maybe it fought you for the inside or cutting under in a bowl turn or really just any line your trying to cut. now on a rmz you never have to worry about that again. these bikes turn however you want them. they respond well to front end input or throttle input.

the rmz450 ive ridden lately actually back to an 08 yz450. the rmz i felt solid on right away it felt slim

now if you dont set it up right it wont work but as far as turning its #1. and ive ridden kawi, yamahas and hondas.
1/27/2016 8:27pm
I have not ridden a KX but I do own a 2012 RMZ450. I can say that I felt in between gears when the bike was stock also.
I did some motor mods to allow me to pull each gear much longer. Now it's pretty amazing.
Bike feels great in most situations but even with my suspension setup for my weight that bike will have you saying prayers on a rough straight in 4th gear wide open.
I'd like to get a RMZ250f to match some day. Yes I think they can be made to work extremely well regardless of shootout rankings. Maybe I'll just try and trade my KTM 250f I have in Bazaar for one some day...
ML512
Fantasy
54th
1/27/2016 9:16pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Slower off the bottom always leaves the front end feeling more planted!
Not exactly, When you're off the throttle it doesn't matter at all! Laughing I'm not talking about how the front-end feels under initial acceleration.
moto455va
1/27/2016 9:43pm
Well the green bike is obviously green, so the yellow bike wont blend into the trees/shrubs as well. But if you carry a sack of bananas on the bike with you, the yellow bike will do a better job of camouflaging them from potential theifs.
mmcmx
1/28/2016 1:22am
I'm a kawi guy since 07. In '13 almost made the switch, but tested one in a very slow and narrow track and absolutely hated it. I think the '16 KX with a set of spring forks would be the ideal bike.

That being said, I'm a very cautios rider, like Pourcel but in slow, so the bike being stable is a big plus for me

Hudd_421
1/28/2016 6:57am
I had a 12 kx450, i now have a 15rmz. The kx felt longer and taller to me. The rm turns better but MXA was right...
I had a 12 kx450, i now have a 15rmz. The kx felt longer and taller to me. The rm turns better but MXA was right, you will find religion at the end of a fast choppy straight. I have new clamps and link for that, but snow, mud and freezing temps have kept me from trying it out.
What clamps did you go with? I have the Xtrig 21/18.5 offset, but haven't gotten to ride with them yet.

Does the bigger offset help with high speed stability?

Post a reply to: What does it feel like going from a green to yellow bike?

The Latest