What do yall think about dealer warranties?

JW381
I have one on my new bike, seems like a good idea, but also 1500 added onto the cost of the bike. 5 year coverage of everything except wear items, basically. I can cancel at any time. Any input?
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/17/2017 4:55pm
I personally wouldn't have taken it. Wear items, meaning parts? If you break parts you'll have to buy them and if you do your own engine work I don't see why you would need the coverage since they wouldn't cover it anyways. I never kept a bike more than 2 years. Maybe if you plan on keeping it for that long it makes sense?

1500$ saved goes a long way towards suspension and other accessories.

It's a dirt bike not a street bike. They get used and abused not babied around and polished. Things will break. It makes sense on a street bike but pretty pointless on a dirt bike if you ask me.
Steadman
10/17/2017 5:03pm
I'd say no and would cancel. It sounds like a third party warranty and they will likely consider EVERYTHING wear and tear on a dirt bike. Brotherman I work at a dealer and don't even push factory warranties on anyone let alone something like this.
JW381
10/17/2017 5:05pm
Every internally lubricated component is covered. Wear items listed were grips, tires, brakes, and then the frame (not a wear part). I was told that I could send a rod thru a case and it would be covered.

The Shop

Steadman
10/17/2017 5:09pm
JW381 wrote:
Every internally lubricated component is covered. Wear items listed were grips, tires, brakes, and then the frame (not a wear part). I was told that I...
Every internally lubricated component is covered. Wear items listed were grips, tires, brakes, and then the frame (not a wear part). I was told that I could send a rod thru a case and it would be covered.
Did you get that in writing? I'm so leery of warranties like these.
JW381
10/17/2017 5:11pm
JW381 wrote:
Every internally lubricated component is covered. Wear items listed were grips, tires, brakes, and then the frame (not a wear part). I was told that I...
Steadman wrote:
I hear ya. It's thru one of the biggest dealers in oregon, they support a TON of riders. It's the reason I bought my bike from them. They have supported a ton of local riders thru the years.

That being said, I'm thinking of cancelling it.
RyanD797
Fantasy
377th
10/17/2017 5:17pm
I'd believe it when I see it, things actually getting covered when breakage occurs. How about the type of riding covered? If you don't race it, probably nothing to worry about. If you do race it, I would look for a competition clause in there somewhere. I'm also sure it doesn't cover when used in illegal activity. Say a guy steals it, burns up the motor going down the highway and you somehow get it back. "Oh well it broke while riding on highway for licensed vehicles. Doesn't matter if you weren't the one that did it, its the bike that is warrantied not the rider." Just thoughts, who knows.

If it's a four stroke, you ride a lot, and plan on keeping it for the duration, that would definitely be worth it. How much is a new head/valves/springs/etc?
Steadman
10/17/2017 5:20pm
JW381 wrote:
Steadman wrote:
JW381 wrote:
I hear ya. It's thru one of the biggest dealers in oregon, they support a TON of riders. It's the reason I bought my bike from...
I hear ya. It's thru one of the biggest dealers in oregon, they support a TON of riders. It's the reason I bought my bike from them. They have supported a ton of local riders thru the years.

That being said, I'm thinking of cancelling it.
Where I'm from we don't have anything like that to offer for dirt bikes but I've known too many people get hosed on dealer warranties on cars and such (third party warranties) No doubt they are a good dealer and it's awesome you supported a local business but I think that money is better in your pocket.
JW381
10/17/2017 5:25pm
Okay thanks. I was a little focused on the bike and now I'm pondering it more. I will call later this week and no get more info.

I was told it is covered during racing. He said it's nothing similar to a manufacturer warranty.
Steadman
10/17/2017 5:27pm
JW381 wrote:
Okay thanks. I was a little focused on the bike and now I'm pondering it more. I will call later this week and no get more...
Okay thanks. I was a little focused on the bike and now I'm pondering it more. I will call later this week and no get more info.

I was told it is covered during racing. He said it's nothing similar to a manufacturer warranty.
Cool. Let us know how you make out. I'm curious on what they have in writing that states the claims you have been told. Good luck JW bro!
newmann
10/17/2017 5:43pm
Paid cash or financed it in with the bike for 5 years at 27.99% through some off the wall finance company on the east coast? Boy oh boy, some of the stuff I have seen bike shops push off on customers. How much was freight and dealer prep there? Always interested to see how much that varies.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/17/2017 5:44pm
Have a buddy that just got a 17 yz450 and got the warranty through the dealer. His is 3 years though I believe. Have another buddy that has it on his 13 kx250f and it covered his fork seals every time they needed to be done, covered motor and all kinds of other stuff.
pCp 252
Fantasy
2530th
10/17/2017 5:53pm
I would consider insurance through Geico, Progressive or similar before a dealer warranty. Friend of mine had their insured bike grenade and they sent him a check for the price of a new replacement. And an option to buy back his blown bike. Otherwise they were going to take the old blown up bike. Obviously you'll have to pay more for that type of coverage than a standard insurance policy but IIRC it was only a couple hundred a year for him. Plus it will cover theft as well.
JW381
10/17/2017 5:57pm
newmann wrote:
Paid cash or financed it in with the bike for 5 years at 27.99% through some off the wall finance company on the east coast? Boy...
Paid cash or financed it in with the bike for 5 years at 27.99% through some off the wall finance company on the east coast? Boy oh boy, some of the stuff I have seen bike shops push off on customers. How much was freight and dealer prep there? Always interested to see how much that varies.
Msrp was 7499 plus 85 dmv fee. No prep fee.

But I completely hear what you're saying. I'm definitely feeling a little suckered or naive...maybe. We'll see!
10/17/2017 5:59pm
I bought a bike at MotoSport Hillsboro last year. I also bought the warranty. Haven’t had to use the warranty yet but I can also fix most things myself. That being said, I paid the extra 900 bucks for it because the price of a new engine for my bike is anywhere from $2500-$3000. At the end of the day maybe I wasted 900 but if my bike ever windows the case, I’ll just drop it off at the dealership on my way home from the track Laughing
10/17/2017 6:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 6:30pm
I have Worked with warrantys along time . The key to these coverages are how they are presented when they are called in (dealership employee) smart guy or ignorant guy can really hose you - when i would call one in i wouldnt mention anything but the part damaged. example : yeah this bike is awesome the owner won Loretta vet class and it has 75 hours on it and the rod finally went. Then the warranty looks up manufacture suggest on valve adjustment, oil change , filter change etc.... can you prove you have done it . Most of these have a clause that these items need it done by dealership. And boom excessive wear and your warranty is now void until you rebuild motor . Aftermarket parts ? Seen it happen .my opinion
JW381
10/17/2017 7:10pm
I bought a bike at MotoSport Hillsboro last year. I also bought the warranty. Haven’t had to use the warranty yet but I can also fix...
I bought a bike at MotoSport Hillsboro last year. I also bought the warranty. Haven’t had to use the warranty yet but I can also fix most things myself. That being said, I paid the extra 900 bucks for it because the price of a new engine for my bike is anywhere from $2500-$3000. At the end of the day maybe I wasted 900 but if my bike ever windows the case, I’ll just drop it off at the dealership on my way home from the track Laughing
That was the mindset I had when I got it. It's so new and shiny and a few extra bucks to protect it ain't the worst thing in the world. But how many extra bucks is too many bucks?
gsxr6
10/17/2017 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 7:20pm
My 14 yz450f has been perfect, I wasted 1000 bux on the 2 year warranty lol. A warranty on a two stroke is probably unnecessary. For example, if u don't have documented work orders for a technician changing the top end at the rec service interval, they will likely use that to deny covering any type of real engine failure. I doubt u intend to do top ends every fifteen hours, esp at a shop? U can rebuild your own engine twice for that coin almost and all u really need is a case splitter. Two strokes really aren't that bad . I ride the crap out of my yzf, never even a loose spoke. I have loosened spokes every ride on my 17 crf
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
10/17/2017 7:21pm
Considering nothing that fails on a dirt bike will be “warrantable” - it’s a waste of money..
omalley
10/17/2017 7:28pm
Not sure on yours, but there’s two other things to consider.

1) if the manufacturer warranties anything, the third party won’t, even if the manufacturer is refusing to honor it. Example. I had a Dodge Ram with the Cummins. I bought a third party warranty because I knew things in diesel land were $$$. I lost the injectors but the dealer repeatedly refused to address it. Tried to get the third party to cover (since it lists injectors) and they refused, saying that even though the dealer wasn’t covering it, the factory warranty was supposed to and therefore they were exempt. When I pointed out that I had their contract showing all the stuff in the power train that was covered (and how their explanation made these items null because their warranty would expire the same mileage as Dodges) they told me I’d need to take that up with the dealer that sold me the warranty.

2) many of these warranties have an opt-out for the company. For instance, let’s say you paid 1500.00 for the warranty. Now you window your cases with what’s left of the rod and the repairs will be 3500.00. Many times, the warranty company has the option to cancel your warranty and refund the initial cost (1500.00) since the repairs exceed the warranty cost.

JW381
10/17/2017 7:44pm
Thanks for the honest input all. This has probably been the most valuable advice I've ever received here haha
KNIGHT104
10/17/2017 8:08pm
JW381 wrote:
Thanks for the honest input all. This has probably been the most valuable advice I've ever received here haha
I am a service manager at a dealer, and I deal with these warranties all day. They are all different. Depends on your dealer if they are willing to work hard to get your covered. I fix fork seals under warranty all the time. I have also rebuilt a full motor on a 2017 Ktm 250sxf and 17 yz250. Creative wording and you can get a lot of things covered. On the flip side if you enjoy doing your own work id save the money. If you buy a SXS the Extended service plan is a must have!
10/17/2017 8:18pm
JW381 wrote:
KNIGHT104 wrote:
I am a service manager at a dealer, and I deal with these warranties all day. They are all different. Depends on your dealer if they...
I am a service manager at a dealer, and I deal with these warranties all day. They are all different. Depends on your dealer if they are willing to work hard to get your covered. I fix fork seals under warranty all the time. I have also rebuilt a full motor on a 2017 Ktm 250sxf and 17 yz250. Creative wording and you can get a lot of things covered. On the flip side if you enjoy doing your own work id save the money. If you buy a SXS the Extended service plan is a must have!
Since you mentioned the creative wording, can you elaborate? I’d imagine you aren’t going to tell the warranty company you are at the track every weekend, and then hit rev limiter for 5 mins straight while hammered...
10/17/2017 8:19pm
My friends YXZ blew up and he called the dealer about his warranty. Since he didn't haul it 2 hours to the dealer for each $300 oil service, it is no longer covered. Not to mention I think it was voided when he replaced his drive shaft. Always seems to be some sort of loop hole
scrubz
10/17/2017 8:34pm
My friends YXZ blew up and he called the dealer about his warranty. Since he didn't haul it 2 hours to the dealer for each $300...
My friends YXZ blew up and he called the dealer about his warranty. Since he didn't haul it 2 hours to the dealer for each $300 oil service, it is no longer covered. Not to mention I think it was voided when he replaced his drive shaft. Always seems to be some sort of loop hole
I have personally heard of 2 stories of this stuff happening! Oil changed by the owner and the warranty is immediately done, I will not say the brands or models......... That's why I bring my toys home in boxes or with windowed engines or in worse shape.......
wfo4ever
10/17/2017 8:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 9:02pm
Cancel if at all possible ASAP!!! Dealer warranties are great for the dealer, terrible for the buyer. The dealer makes even more money off of you, as it is pure profit for the dealers. Everything is a wear item. The manufacturers warranty covers defects only for a certain time, very rare for defects as everything is a wear item or considered customer abuse. Most dirt bikes have no warranty at all anyway. And the bogus dealer warranty will require all work and maintenance to be done at their dealership. The dealership will make even more money off of you with all of the repair bills to keep your worthless dealer warranty valid. You should have read the fine print on this worthless warranty you bought. You just got screwed by your friendly dealer for $1500.00. I worked in the motorcycle industry for 30+ years, trust me on this. Lots of dealers offer in house warranty, this scam has been around forever, auto dealers and others do it also. I do not think they will give you your $1500.00 back at all. You signed the contract so you lost $1500.00. I feel sorry for you. I would not go back to that dealer at all, they proved how they do business. There are some good dealers, but that is very rare these days. What bike did you buy anyway?
wfo4ever
10/17/2017 9:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 9:11pm
JW381 wrote:
That was the mindset I had when I got it. It's so new and shiny and a few extra bucks to protect it ain't the worst...
That was the mindset I had when I got it. It's so new and shiny and a few extra bucks to protect it ain't the worst thing in the world. But how many extra bucks is too many bucks?
One extra buck is the correct answer. Always ask questions first, this forum can help out a lot on all sorts of topics except women. That would be impossible.
JW381
10/17/2017 9:22pm
JW381 wrote:
That was the mindset I had when I got it. It's so new and shiny and a few extra bucks to protect it ain't the worst...
wfo4ever wrote:
One extra buck is the correct answer. Always ask questions first, this forum can help out a lot on all sorts of topics except women. That...
One extra buck is the correct answer. Always ask questions first, this forum can help out a lot on all sorts of topics except women. That would be impossible.
I went down that road on this forum and ended up with a wife DizzyLaughing
gsxr6
10/17/2017 9:33pm
JW381 wrote:
wfo4ever wrote:
One extra buck is the correct answer. Always ask questions first, this forum can help out a lot on all sorts of topics except women. That...
JW381 wrote:
I went down that road on this forum and ended up with a wife DizzyLaughing
Lol.

Post a reply to: What do yall think about dealer warranties?

The Latest