What derailed Pourcel's career more?

Edited Date/Time 8/15/2014 6:24am
2007 Horrific crash
2009 and 2010 Heartbreaking outdoor defeats
2011 not getting a factory ride
2012 Bad Crash at Bercy

That guy has faced a lot of shit in his career and yet he's pulled himself back up to win races again just like he did after all of those other incidents. I really feel that it's time that the industry gives him a little respect and picks him up for a good ride next year so he can finally get some positive momentum going in his career.
|
IWreckALot
8/14/2014 2:20pm
SOME of the disrespect was self inflicted by Pourcel's actions. He's done some odd things with his career. I respect him a lot. I also find him a bit intriguing. He marches to the beat of his own drum and I can dig that. But his little stint with Valli (is that right) probably didn't leave him portrayed in the best light. And then there is a lot that is lost in translation.
Tbteam
8/14/2014 2:21pm
If the 2007 crash never happened, he's have had a completely different career

Many championships.

Stamp it.
bd
8/14/2014 2:34pm
IWreckALot wrote:
SOME of the disrespect was self inflicted by Pourcel's actions. He's done some odd things with his career. I respect him a lot. I also find...
SOME of the disrespect was self inflicted by Pourcel's actions. He's done some odd things with his career. I respect him a lot. I also find him a bit intriguing. He marches to the beat of his own drum and I can dig that. But his little stint with Valli (is that right) probably didn't leave him portrayed in the best light. And then there is a lot that is lost in translation.
What disrespect? Because he did not conform to the way people "thinks" he should behave? CP handles himself with far more grace than he is given credit. Ask Trey Canard.

CP is a talent, a big talent. As fans, we are fortunate to witness his craft. I agree with Tbteam and titles projection.
8/14/2014 2:41pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2014 2:41pm
IWreckALot wrote:
SOME of the disrespect was self inflicted by Pourcel's actions. He's done some odd things with his career. I respect him a lot. I also find...
bd wrote:
What disrespect? Because he did not conform to the way people "thinks" he should behave? CP handles himself with far more grace than he is given...
What disrespect? Because he did not conform to the way people "thinks" he should behave? CP handles himself with far more grace than he is given credit. Ask Trey Canard.

CP is a talent, a big talent. As fans, we are fortunate to witness his craft. I agree with Tbteam and titles projection.
Leaving Moto Concepts high and dry in 2011 was a lot worse than simply being a "non-conformist". There was nothing graceful about that whole incident. Highly unprofessional would be a better description.

The Shop

peelout
8/14/2014 2:44pm
i'd say some of the actions of Kawi had a hand in it. i think he felt slighted by Kawi to take Weimer over himself after nearly giving them 2 outdoor titles and giving them 2 straight sx region championships.

all we know is what the media has told us, which to be honest, the media has never really been too kind regarding Pourcel.

look at anything Matthes has said about him recently, especially AFTER winning the overall at Unadilla.

that's my opinion, that's all.
Sully22
8/14/2014 2:49pm
IWreckALot wrote:
bd wrote:
What disrespect? Because he did not conform to the way people "thinks" he should behave? CP handles himself with far more grace than he is given...

Leaving Moto Concepts high and dry in 2011 was a lot worse than simply being a "non-conformist". There was nothing graceful about that whole incident. Highly...
Leaving Moto Concepts high and dry in 2011 was a lot worse than simply being a "non-conformist". There was nothing graceful about that whole incident. Highly unprofessional would be a better description.
High n dry? He gave them their bikes back and returned all money given to him. He did not like or feel comfortable on the motoconcepts bike. He walked away with nothing, no ride, no bike, no money. Teams break and do not honor contracts all the time, and here we have a rider stand up for himself, didn't want to ride that bike because he wasn't comfortable, and he got shit on for basically doing something teams do every single year...he walked away.
Dirty Mike
8/14/2014 2:50pm
I agree with Peelio. The media has not been fair at all to pourcel. Sure he's had a rough past but he doesn't deserve a second chance?

Btw I am sick of Matthes being such a dick towards him and throwing back hand comments. What if every time the name Matthes got brought up and fat joke coincided. Wouldn't be nice would it
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
8/14/2014 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2014 2:56pm
Dart Board wrote:
2007 Horrific crash 2009 and 2010 Heartbreaking outdoor defeats 2011 not getting a factory ride 2012 Bad Crash at Bercy That guy has faced a lot...
2007 Horrific crash
2009 and 2010 Heartbreaking outdoor defeats
2011 not getting a factory ride
2012 Bad Crash at Bercy

That guy has faced a lot of shit in his career and yet he's pulled himself back up to win races again just like he did after all of those other incidents. I really feel that it's time that the industry gives him a little respect and picks him up for a good ride next year so he can finally get some positive momentum going in his career.
I'm going with his 2007 crash.

Glad for him (and us) his career is back on track.
Sully22
8/14/2014 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2014 3:02pm
What was moto concepts out...some airline tickets and travel costs, some shipping costs, some testing days and regular daily costs of doing business they were going to have whether CP been there, salary for the guys that worked on the team that would have been there anyway? That's a drop in the bucket compared to what CP could have done had he rode around all year on a bike he didn't like. Instead, he gave it all back and walked away. That's more stand up than riding for a paycheck, which some guys would have done, and a hefty paycheck at that. Furthermore, we've basically been told only one side of the story...we've never heard CPs version, which I'm sure would be much different. Wasn't he promised quite a few things that didn't materialize?
slipdog
8/14/2014 3:00pm
Dirty Mike wrote:
I agree with Peelio. The media has not been fair at all to pourcel. Sure he's had a rough past but he doesn't deserve a second...
I agree with Peelio. The media has not been fair at all to pourcel. Sure he's had a rough past but he doesn't deserve a second chance?

Btw I am sick of Matthes being such a dick towards him and throwing back hand comments. What if every time the name Matthes got brought up and fat joke coincided. Wouldn't be nice would it
Or even worse, a Canadian joke... Woohoo
HenryA
8/14/2014 3:05pm
Well Weimer didn't live up to the expectations...a lot of injuries and DNF's. I guess Kawasaki regrets that they couldn't close the deal with Cristophe back then.
But still, his crash at 2007 was a game changer to say at least.
The Rock
8/14/2014 3:13pm
IMHO your question is immaterial and the only thing that is important at this point in time is CP377 won last weekend. Life goes on and in my experience is better (with much less anxiety) when you look forward rather than over your shoulder.
8/14/2014 3:19pm
i am looking forward. To next year when hopefully he is on a factory bike. I believe he is doing the same.
stantdm
8/14/2014 3:21pm
The 2007 crash certainly was a major factor. His not getting hired on at factory Kawasaki was due to asking price as I recall. His leaving Moto Concepts was poorly done. Its not what a professional does. A professional works with the team to get the bike the way he wants it. Other teams look at that action and the owners/ managers remember that sort of thing when its time to hire someone. He has a lot of talent but he has thrown away some opportunities with his attitude. He is the kind of rider that performance based contracts were designed for.
8/14/2014 3:23pm
I disagree. He has been in the top 5 in every series he's entered except for 2011 outdoors. We know what we're getting from him.
Matthes
8/14/2014 3:37pm
peelout wrote:
i'd say some of the actions of Kawi had a hand in it. i think he felt slighted by Kawi to take Weimer over himself after...
i'd say some of the actions of Kawi had a hand in it. i think he felt slighted by Kawi to take Weimer over himself after nearly giving them 2 outdoor titles and giving them 2 straight sx region championships.

all we know is what the media has told us, which to be honest, the media has never really been too kind regarding Pourcel.

look at anything Matthes has said about him recently, especially AFTER winning the overall at Unadilla.

Yeah, it's the media's fault. FOR SURE. And maybe I'm the WORST one of them all!!!

C'mon man, Pourcel got a ton of bad advice from his agent and along with his own distrust/dislike of media and/or other people. His agent was telling him the American media didn't want him to win and didn't like him. So he started to really think that.

He sat out his first 450 year because he and his agent misjudged the market and he wouldn't take what was being offered. Bad move. Managers in this sport all got the same phone calls with the same crazy demands.

Then he chose the money of MCR over GEICO Honda or Valli Yamaha (both of which he rode and liked)..he didn't ride the MCR bike but they had the biggest check. He chose that. Bad move.

His career (and lack of results) is of his own doing and decisions. The media has nothing to do with it. Results trump all-Ted Bundy could be on a factory team if he could win.
8/14/2014 3:45pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2014 3:46pm

Saying that Pourcel has had a career that lacked results is laughable.

When has Pourcel not been able to win? Therefore he should be on a factory team
Jt$
8/14/2014 3:46pm
Matthes wrote:
Yeah, it's the media's fault. FOR SURE. And maybe I'm the WORST one of them all!!! C'mon man, Pourcel got a ton of bad advice from...
Yeah, it's the media's fault. FOR SURE. And maybe I'm the WORST one of them all!!!

C'mon man, Pourcel got a ton of bad advice from his agent and along with his own distrust/dislike of media and/or other people. His agent was telling him the American media didn't want him to win and didn't like him. So he started to really think that.

He sat out his first 450 year because he and his agent misjudged the market and he wouldn't take what was being offered. Bad move. Managers in this sport all got the same phone calls with the same crazy demands.

Then he chose the money of MCR over GEICO Honda or Valli Yamaha (both of which he rode and liked)..he didn't ride the MCR bike but they had the biggest check. He chose that. Bad move.

His career (and lack of results) is of his own doing and decisions. The media has nothing to do with it. Results trump all-Ted Bundy could be on a factory team if he could win.
I don't know about Ted Bundy but I would hire Al Bundy in a heartbeat.
Ing
8/14/2014 3:50pm
Got to agree with Matthes on this one. One other point is that a lot of riders have had what was considered "career ending" injuries and have came back. Time for CP to man up and ride the damn bike. How come he doesn't get tired when he's out front but the minute it gets passed he drops like a rock. Remind you of anyone else?
8/14/2014 3:53pm
Comparing Pourcel to Mike Alessi isn't apples to apples

He hadn't raced for almost two years before Glen Helen and when he came back he wasn't ready for the intensity. It's been a slow climb back to race form
KlootZak
8/14/2014 3:58pm
I just hope he gets a really good ride next year (or stays with Valli). I would really chose Pourcel if I was running JGR
peelout
8/14/2014 4:01pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2014 4:05pm
peelout wrote:
i'd say some of the actions of Kawi had a hand in it. i think he felt slighted by Kawi to take Weimer over himself after...

Matthes wrote:
Yeah, it's the media's fault. FOR SURE. And maybe I'm the WORST one of them all!!! C'mon man, Pourcel got a ton of bad advice from...

never said you were the cause of ALL the problems or that the media was.

i do think that the media has not been as forgiving with him as they have with others.

sorry to ruffle your undies Steve, i still dig the show i just get tired of the constant jabs from the TV broadcast and the pulp show. the guys on the broadcast make it sound like Pourcel should collect his Oakley award, holeshot money, and go back to the trailer. God forbid the guy try to keep another racer behind him.

to tell you the truth, it just gets old. it doesn't offend me and it doesn't seem like it offends him, but what do i know. i'm definitely not in your shoes.

carry on
The Rock
8/14/2014 4:07pm
Dart Board wrote:
i am looking forward. To next year when hopefully he is on a factory bike. I believe he is doing the same.
Right on but he's on a factory bike this year from my vantage point.
8/14/2014 4:11pm
he is on a factory yamaha. Lanza doesn't want to pay title sponsor money anymore. He will need a bike for next year and it should be a factory bike
mjskier
8/14/2014 4:29pm
Anybody thinks Kawi just bet on RV and didn't think that having 2 top riders stealing points from each other would end up well?
However likable Weimer is, he hasn't delivered for what, 4 seasons? How many other factory team have carried a rider that long with nothing to show for?

Matthes, what's your beef with 377 besides the fact that he doesn't want to get on your show? I don't think that is personal. I remember watching somebody trying to interview him in France, and he said "what's the point, you are going to make up stuff and print whatever you want anyway"
So obviously some bad blood with the media in general. That said, I don't have a subscription to LeBig, but they seem to have pretty good access to him. I'm don't work in the media business, but I'm thinking disrespecting somebody isn't the ideal way to get them to work with you...

The MC deal, I don't know what happened, but I find it pretty telling that DV came here to say they sent him a training bike when in fact they had put a shipping hold on it and he never got to use it. Whatever happened, I have a hard time thinking one side carries all the blame.
Matthes
8/14/2014 4:33pm
Dart Board wrote:
Saying that Pourcel has had a career that lacked results is laughable. When has Pourcel not been able to win? Therefore he should be on a...

Saying that Pourcel has had a career that lacked results is laughable.

When has Pourcel not been able to win? Therefore he should be on a factory team
Sorry, I meant 450 career...
Dx3moto
8/14/2014 4:34pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2014 4:34pm
Had he not gotten hurt in 2007, I think he would have been a modern day JMB, without leaving so soon. You can't deny his talent, skill, and speed. Multiple outdoor titles, along with a 450 title.
8/14/2014 4:35pm
Matthes wrote:
Sorry, I meant 450 career...
He won some races in the GPs and was on the podium about half the time in his first full 450 season. That's pretty good. Finished top 5 in the points and none of the top guys got hurt that year. This was while you were reporting that he wasn't into racing and didn't want to race.
Sully22
8/14/2014 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2014 4:48pm
So, I really wanted to leave other riders out of the CP debate, but there's one rider I have to bring up that's been in the news as of late that I think is similar to CP in some respects....injuries, career ending injuries, team issues / not wanting to ride a bike....

How is it Millsaps get the rides he does and positive press after his 450 career has been one injury plagued season after another, and then doing what he just did to KTM and the rockstar team. he's completed 1, exactly 1 450 outdoor series 8 years ago In 2006 he got 3rd. Yes, he was runner up in SX twice and has won some races. How is it he did what he just did to his rockstar KTM team, even after he had a hand in choosing the bike, but then flat out refused to ride it, then say he's not riding because injuries, then people see he's out racing / riding mountain bikes, then he's miraculously released from KTM rockstar and released by his doctors to ride and riding his new factory kawi all on the same day??? how is it DM doesn't get a fraction of the shit CP got for the whole moto concepts deal? A deal he walked away from with nothing, no money, no bike, no rides, no nothing, he returned everything, and there were promises made to him that weren't honored....but he's still the bad guy? I hear no one talk about Millsaps the way people were talking about CP...
lestat
8/14/2014 4:50pm
Sully22 wrote:
So, I really wanted to leave other riders out of the CP debate, but there's one rider I have to bring up that's been in the...
So, I really wanted to leave other riders out of the CP debate, but there's one rider I have to bring up that's been in the news as of late that I think is similar to CP in some respects....injuries, career ending injuries, team issues / not wanting to ride a bike....

How is it Millsaps get the rides he does and positive press after his 450 career has been one injury plagued season after another, and then doing what he just did to KTM and the rockstar team. he's completed 1, exactly 1 450 outdoor series 8 years ago In 2006 he got 3rd. Yes, he was runner up in SX twice and has won some races. How is it he did what he just did to his rockstar KTM team, even after he had a hand in choosing the bike, but then flat out refused to ride it, then say he's not riding because injuries, then people see he's out racing / riding mountain bikes, then he's miraculously released from KTM rockstar and released by his doctors to ride and riding his new factory kawi all on the same day??? how is it DM doesn't get a fraction of the shit CP got for the whole moto concepts deal? A deal he walked away from with nothing, no money, no bike, no rides, no nothing, he returned everything, and there were promises made to him that weren't honored....but he's still the bad guy? I hear no one talk about Millsaps the way people were talking about CP...
Great points .

Let's face it . Mathis and others bag on Pourcel because he is french . Its a cheap shot way to gain popularity amongst the redneck fans .

Post a reply to: What derailed Pourcel's career more?

The Latest