What are the announcers watching?

bsmyth634
I'm assuming they are watching on a smaller screen simultaneously reading stats and data?

I ask because they always seem to be late seeing stuff. Tomac was tripling on to the tabletops from the beginning and then a few laps in Jeff is like "Did you see that Tomac just tripled onto the tabletops". This happened with a few other sections as well.

Not throwing jabs, just curious.
|
mb60
4/9/2017 11:24am
That had to be the worst coverage I have seen in along time. Action all over the track and they are showing something else. Had no idea when Tomac crashed out until it was pointed out to them.
davbrucas
4/9/2017 11:29am
Ralph Sheheen is awful. He makes mistakes every single broadcast and sounds like a damn idiot. I can't believe he still has a job. Add in how he accentuates what he's saying...especially when it's a screw up...it makes him sound even more like a dumbass.
MX Culture
4/9/2017 11:31am
For the 10,000th time, they watch what you're watching.
If they watched the track, he'd say "Tomac crashed" while the camera is on someone else, then you'd say, what the F is he looking at?
The problem isn't the announcers at these things, it's the spotters for them.
The trick for a spotter is to not watch what the announcers are watching.
That guy is connected to the director who changes cameras when something happens.
Bevo has helped for years, not sure if he or who is doing it this year.

rock841
4/9/2017 11:38am
How many times can they say someone won a heat, semi or lcq and there still be a lap to go? Also what happened to the times behind the leaders next to their name and position last night?

The Shop

moto726
4/9/2017 11:50am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2017 11:50am
If it's so easy then why don't you all go take their spots?
bsmyth634
4/9/2017 11:52am
mb60 wrote:
That had to be the worst coverage I have seen in along time. Action all over the track and they are showing something else. Had no...
That had to be the worst coverage I have seen in along time. Action all over the track and they are showing something else. Had no idea when Tomac crashed out until it was pointed out to them.
Yea there was a lot of times I was pretty heated. haha The battle up front was going to be great and they didn't even show it.
bsmyth634
4/9/2017 11:55am
MX Culture wrote:
For the 10,000th time, they watch what you're watching. If they watched the track, he'd say "Tomac crashed" while the camera is on someone else, then...
For the 10,000th time, they watch what you're watching.
If they watched the track, he'd say "Tomac crashed" while the camera is on someone else, then you'd say, what the F is he looking at?
The problem isn't the announcers at these things, it's the spotters for them.
The trick for a spotter is to not watch what the announcers are watching.
That guy is connected to the director who changes cameras when something happens.
Bevo has helped for years, not sure if he or who is doing it this year.

If they are watching what I am watching how do I always notice stuff before them? Plessinger was doing that triple triple triple in his heat and they dont notice until half way through the main?

Again not trying to argue, seems like they are just multitasking a lot and miss some stuff, which is no biggie was just curious.
Xavier
4/9/2017 12:59pm
Jeff Emig did talk about the tuff block being a problem on the inside of the start and it was damn accurate.
4/9/2017 3:34pm
It's pretty amazing. When Tomac crashed you knew something had happened just from the reaction of the crowd, but they seemed to have no idea and we had to wait what seemed like an eternity to find out. I can't believe there aren't several people watching the race who can radio to them when something happens so the focus can be shifted to that.
akillerwombat
4/9/2017 3:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2017 3:48pm
As someone who's worked a number of live broadcasts I can definitively say that it is much harder than it looks. Not only are you balancing watching the race, the broadcast, and the statistics but much of what you are commenting on is being presented to you through a large feeding system of cameras, board runners, and a director before it makes it to the booth. And unlike baseball, basketball, or football that have a central point of action for everyone to follow (the ball) action could literally be taking place anywhere on a space larger than a football field.

Do they make mistakes – of course – but they do a damn good job of keeping us up to speed on what is going on / catching us up after something happens.

If you want a glimpse of how hard this job is get a seat at the top of the stadium, stream the broadcast on your phone, and try to comment accurately / catch everything that happens in each race.
yzf842
4/9/2017 4:02pm
rock841 wrote:
How many times can they say someone won a heat, semi or lcq and there still be a lap to go? Also what happened to the...
How many times can they say someone won a heat, semi or lcq and there still be a lap to go? Also what happened to the times behind the leaders next to their name and position last night?
It just gets worse. Its the dungey show. Hey lets show dungey all race and rarely show tomac. Lets skip 95% of the action to show you sx super slow mo of the whoops. I had to have my phone oopen to live scoring to see the intervals. And 1 last thing. F ralph. I cant stand this dude. I like how dungey was in 9th place. Marvin running away with the main and hes asking about team orders. I was wondering what the hell he was thinking about. Was marvin goin to just start ping ponging off the too 8 to get dungy to the lead?
jj welks
4/9/2017 4:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2017 4:06pm
It's pretty lame when they bring of the "moment of the race" with 10 mins left haha. And Ralph has to constantly update the points standings every time a pass is made... Kind of pointless until it's over...

Can't say I could do better...
drt410
4/9/2017 4:09pm
They're looking at multiple screens and making sure to watch the same thing the feed is showing so they're not talking about something the fans cant see. Must suck to be at the races but still have to watch it on tv. At the same time thats a dream job so Im sure they're not that mad lol.
BMSOBx2
4/9/2017 4:14pm
As someone who's worked a number of live broadcasts I can definitively say that it is much harder than it looks. Not only are you balancing...
As someone who's worked a number of live broadcasts I can definitively say that it is much harder than it looks. Not only are you balancing watching the race, the broadcast, and the statistics but much of what you are commenting on is being presented to you through a large feeding system of cameras, board runners, and a director before it makes it to the booth. And unlike baseball, basketball, or football that have a central point of action for everyone to follow (the ball) action could literally be taking place anywhere on a space larger than a football field.

Do they make mistakes – of course – but they do a damn good job of keeping us up to speed on what is going on / catching us up after something happens.

If you want a glimpse of how hard this job is get a seat at the top of the stadium, stream the broadcast on your phone, and try to comment accurately / catch everything that happens in each race.
I agree it's harder than it looks but I disagree they do a "damn good job". If we are to be taken seriously as a professional sport we must do better presenting our sport to the public. Shaheen is an embarrasment, Ricky is abyassmal & Emig is sorta OK.
10000hrs
4/9/2017 4:17pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2017 4:17pm
I remember a half dozen or so years ago, I think it was Emig and Ralph, started announcing the parade lap like it was the race. Laughing
malachi177
4/9/2017 4:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2017 4:40pm
rock841 wrote:
How many times can they say someone won a heat, semi or lcq and there still be a lap to go? Also what happened to the...
yzf842 wrote:
It just gets worse. Its the dungey show. Hey lets show dungey all race and rarely show tomac. Lets skip 95% of the action to show...
It just gets worse. Its the dungey show. Hey lets show dungey all race and rarely show tomac. Lets skip 95% of the action to show you sx super slow mo of the whoops. I had to have my phone oopen to live scoring to see the intervals. And 1 last thing. F ralph. I cant stand this dude. I like how dungey was in 9th place. Marvin running away with the main and hes asking about team orders. I was wondering what the hell he was thinking about. Was marvin goin to just start ping ponging off the too 8 to get dungy to the lead?
Ping ponging off the too 8? WTFBlinkBlink
yzf842
4/9/2017 4:50pm
rock841 wrote:
yzf842 wrote:
It just gets worse. Its the dungey show. Hey lets show dungey all race and rarely show tomac. Lets skip 95% of the action to show...
malachi177 wrote:
Ping ponging off the too 8? WTFBlinkBlink
Top 8. You know team order's. Get the dunge to the lead
Hank_Thrill
4/9/2017 4:51pm
As someone who's worked a number of live broadcasts I can definitively say that it is much harder than it looks. Not only are you balancing...

BMSOBx2 wrote:
I agree it's harder than it looks but I disagree they do a "damn good job". If we are to be taken seriously as a professional...
I agree it's harder than it looks but I disagree they do a "damn good job". If we are to be taken seriously as a professional sport we must do better presenting our sport to the public. Shaheen is an embarrasment, Ricky is abyassmal & Emig is sorta OK.
Hey bro, send them your job application and see if they give you a tryout.

speed_racer
Fantasy
2007th
4/9/2017 5:44pm
Unless removing said announcer will make current promoter more $$$,$$$ nothing will change...

Post a reply to: What are the announcers watching?

The Latest