What are segment times..?

`ol Ger
Edited Date/Time 1/10/2012 2:58pm
As listed on the AMA website...

oG
|
RACEGUY
4/25/2010 8:23am
They break the track down into segments and each is it's own scoring loop, so you can compare your rider against others through specific sections.

The only way it would do US any good is if we knew which segment was which.
Alex
4/25/2010 8:29am
I think they call it 'sector times' in other racing
RACEGUY
4/25/2010 8:43am
They come in to play in hundreds of ways in F1 and high end roadracing (especially endurance events).

They even break your basic NASCAR oval down into multiple sectors or segments and they make some pretty serious decisions based on these times including your actual track position at the time a yellow flag came out.

I used to help roadrace teams (motorcycle and cars) by standing in a corner and timing a sector during practice. It's great input for any changes you might make to your setup and can be invaluable for gearing decisions.
4/25/2010 8:44am
RACEGUY wrote:
They break the track down into segments and each is it's own scoring loop, so you can compare your rider against others through specific sections. The...
They break the track down into segments and each is it's own scoring loop, so you can compare your rider against others through specific sections.

No doubt.

The Shop

jndmx
4/25/2010 9:11am
RACEGUY wrote:
They break the track down into segments and each is it's own scoring loop, so you can compare your rider against others through specific sections. The...

No doubt.
If you go to the Livewire timing and scoring page on race day there is a current track map link......each of the track maps notate "Split" segments on the track.
I think that is what they are talking about, with the finish line being a natural 3rd point of comparison.

Here is the one from last night it is still up, you can see there are 2 "Splits" listed on there.

[url]http://209.169.8.8/pdfresults/sx/2010/15-seattle/trackmap.pdf[/url]
mx918
4/25/2010 11:15am
It definitely helps out when you are trying to figure out where everyone else gains ground on you.... It lets you know what kinds of things to practice during the week.
4/25/2010 11:23am
RACEGUY wrote:

No doubt.
jndmx wrote:
If you go to the Livewire timing and scoring page on race day there is a current track map link......each of the track maps notate "Split"...
If you go to the Livewire timing and scoring page on race day there is a current track map link......each of the track maps notate "Split" segments on the track.
I think that is what they are talking about, with the finish line being a natural 3rd point of comparison.

Here is the one from last night it is still up, you can see there are 2 "Splits" listed on there.

Thx for that. I get it now.
RACEGUY
4/25/2010 11:34am
RACEGUY wrote:

No doubt.
jndmx wrote:
If you go to the Livewire timing and scoring page on race day there is a current track map link......each of the track maps notate "Split"...

There ya go!

I never clicked on track maps on this page. I think I looked everywhere else, at least twice. I just couldn't find that info.

Thank you jnd.
MXR
4/25/2010 11:52am
Here is an interesting fact .

Seattle vs Daytona length of race time

Daytona 21 minutes:36 seconds

Seattle 21 minutes:37 seconds

If I was to guess average speed Daytona 35 mph .... Seattle 5 mph
RACEGUY
4/25/2010 12:01pm
MXR wrote:
Here is an interesting fact . Seattle vs Daytona length of race time Daytona 21 minutes:36 seconds Seattle 21 minutes:37 seconds If I was to guess...
Here is an interesting fact .

Seattle vs Daytona length of race time

Daytona 21 minutes:36 seconds

Seattle 21 minutes:37 seconds

If I was to guess average speed Daytona 35 mph .... Seattle 5 mph
The results pages for the GPs show average miles per hour over the course of the race.

Cairoli averaged 47 MPH in moto two.

I enjoy looking at any numbers they want to give me.
TeamGreen
4/25/2010 12:05pm
Ger,

Watch F1 Qualifying for the best explanation.

Post a reply to: What are segment times..?

The Latest