What Oil to use?!?

10/24/2014 3:28pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2014 12:07pm
Need to do an oil change on my YZ125 before i go riding tomorrow, drained the oil and then realised i was out of the motul stuff i normally use. i do have some Rotella T and Maxima MTL 80wt... What one should i choose to run?

|
peelout
10/24/2014 3:29pm
i run the Shell Rotella T. i change it every 8 hours or so, but it's not necessary. best oil i've used
RedDirtDog
10/24/2014 3:30pm
rotella, or some ATF III lol
10/24/2014 3:31pm
RedDirtDog wrote:
rotella, or some ATF III lol
im filling the oil up now, i dont have my normal stuff i use. I need to choose between the 2 i have currently lol what one outta the 2 i posted that i have would u use
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
10/24/2014 3:32pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2014 3:33pm
I've ran Rotella T in everything the past 10 years and have never had one tranny or clutch issue. The transmission was fine too

The Shop

RedDirtDog
10/24/2014 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2014 3:50pm
rotella, motorcycle specific stuff cant be good Tongue but really shell rotella's just the best oil there is.. imo ofc
do a search on rotella, there's been thousands of posts er threads about this oil used in 4s and 2s dirtbikes and anything else with a gas cap. I use it in everything.. my lawn mower runs cherry Tongue
10/24/2014 3:41pm
rotella is for guys trying to save money. there are way better oils from maxima, motul, bel ray etc
Titan1
10/24/2014 3:41pm
Rekluse just told me the recommend the Rotella...
10/24/2014 3:42pm
rotella is for guys trying to save money. there are way better oils from maxima, motul, bel ray etc
So should i use the maxima
10/24/2014 3:47pm
I asked out of those 2 oils, what would you rather run? Dont bring price into it because i already have the 2 right infront of me just need some opinions here.
moto38
10/24/2014 4:17pm
Rotella T6 Smile
10/24/2014 4:21pm
put the rotella in your tractor. put the maxima in your bike.
10/24/2014 5:59pm
for the 2T that oil is fine. I would not run it in a new thumper though.

I have ran many brands down here in Arizona, and change oil every 5 hours religiously on my 450's. You can visually see that most oils break down from the heat here in AZ. After 5 hours they run out of the drain plug like water. the Rotella included.

I run Motorex Full Sythetic and while it is $$ the stuff comes out looking just as good and thick as the day it went in. I almost hate to throw it away. Virtually no change in viscosity after beating it in 110 Degree heat for hours.

You have to remember these motors get the crap kicked out of them and only hold a quart or so of oil. Let the oil run between your fingers, rub them together and you can feel good oil. It should feel the same way when you drain it.

my 2 cents.
bvm111
10/24/2014 6:07pm
Dude run the maxima.... I have used Honda gear oil in all my 2 strokes, yes even my Kawasaki's. It's reasonable and change it every other ride, I have never had a clutch or transmission issue ever in 25 years of riding.... Ever!
10/24/2014 6:49pm
for the 2T that oil is fine. I would not run it in a new thumper though. I have ran many brands down here in Arizona...

I have ran many brands down here in Arizona, and change oil every 5 hours religiously on my 450's. You can visually see that most oils break down from the heat here in AZ. After 5 hours they run out of the drain plug like water. the Rotella included.

I run Motorex Full Sythetic and while it is $$ the stuff comes out looking just as good and thick as the day it went in. I almost hate to throw it away. Virtually no change in viscosity after beating it in 110 Degree heat for hours.

You have to remember these motors get the crap kicked out of them and only hold a quart or so of oil. Let the oil run between your fingers, rub them together and you can feel good oil. It should feel the same way when you drain it.

my 2 cents.
Yeah i know all about that, i just was debating on wich one to use for my 2 strokes tranny.

Usually i run the motul transoil in my 2T for tranny oil and Maxima Formula K2 for premix

My 4 stroke runs motul 300V.

Both get oil changes every 2nd ride. Just today i realized i havent stocked up on oil so had to use the maxima MTL
bsharkey
10/24/2014 7:30pm
peelout wrote:
i run the Shell Rotella T. i change it every 8 hours or so, but it's not necessary. best oil i've used
im with peely we use rotella and its cheap enough to change every ride. and its good oil.
NorcalVet
10/24/2014 8:02pm
I used the MTL stuff in my 250 smoker when I first picked it up....
- will never use it again

Smoked/ burnt my new Barnett clutch pack at a sand track
- after about a 1.5 hrs of track time, it just felt like it was slipping too much. When I drained the fluid and checked my clutch pack, everything looked and smelled like it was in a fire!!

Went back to oem clutch pack and honda 80/85 wt on my rm and it worked great. Did some research and heard a lot of positive comments about ATF type F. Has worked great ever since, house brand or name brand doesn't matter. To me it feels and looks the same as the honda stuff.

As a side note, just picked me up some Rotella T at TSC on sale down the street for the RMZ and some ATF even cheaper Smile
hbdesigns913
10/24/2014 8:06pm
for the 2T that oil is fine. I would not run it in a new thumper though. I have ran many brands down here in Arizona...

my 2 cents.
You do realize that motor oil is a detergent. If it doesn't come out dirty then it's not doing it's job. All that crud is staying in your engine.
10/24/2014 8:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2014 8:22pm
NorcalVet wrote:
I used the MTL stuff in my 250 smoker when I first picked it up.... - will never use it again Smoked/ burnt my new Barnett...
I used the MTL stuff in my 250 smoker when I first picked it up....
- will never use it again

Smoked/ burnt my new Barnett clutch pack at a sand track
- after about a 1.5 hrs of track time, it just felt like it was slipping too much. When I drained the fluid and checked my clutch pack, everything looked and smelled like it was in a fire!!

Went back to oem clutch pack and honda 80/85 wt on my rm and it worked great. Did some research and heard a lot of positive comments about ATF type F. Has worked great ever since, house brand or name brand doesn't matter. To me it feels and looks the same as the honda stuff.

As a side note, just picked me up some Rotella T at TSC on sale down the street for the RMZ and some ATF even cheaper Smile
Really? i ran it when i first started racing my 125 and used it for a while, never once had an issue. Then switched to Motul and kept with it. Now for this oil change back to MTL!!! hahaha see how it works out il hope for the best for me haha

Also about 95% of the reviews on it are 5 stars
JB479
10/24/2014 8:30pm
Not relevant to 2 strokes really but i run Semi synthetic oil and you will find most Pro teams run Semi not full synthetic.
I do a filter/oil ever 4 hours.
jloucks742
10/24/2014 8:57pm
Sounds like your mind was made up before you even made this thread. A lot of people recommended the rotella and that would have worked just great.
10/24/2014 9:19pm
jloucks742 wrote:
Sounds like your mind was made up before you even made this thread. A lot of people recommended the rotella and that would have worked just...
Sounds like your mind was made up before you even made this thread. A lot of people recommended the rotella and that would have worked just great.
No but i was leaning towards MTL

I run rotella from time to time in my RMZ helps clean stuff out but i dont like how thick it is for winter like the only indoor track we have here in ontario isnt heated in winter so gets cold as heck
jloucks742
10/24/2014 9:23pm
jloucks742 wrote:
Sounds like your mind was made up before you even made this thread. A lot of people recommended the rotella and that would have worked just...
No but i was leaning towards MTL I run rotella from time to time in my RMZ helps clean stuff out but i dont like how...
No but i was leaning towards MTL

I run rotella from time to time in my RMZ helps clean stuff out but i dont like how thick it is for winter like the only indoor track we have here in ontario isnt heated in winter so gets cold as heck
I gotcha. I used to work at a moto shop and always recommended motul for any tranny. IMO i think any of the oils these days are good and will work just fine. Oil is not what it used to be and i don't buy into the "this is the best oil you can buy" bs.
me_da_racer
10/24/2014 9:38pm
The only motor oils bad for clutches are the one that have "Energy Conserving" (or some version of that) in their API Standard logo.
enketchum
10/24/2014 9:56pm
You need to change the oil in your top end on that 125.

I suggest John Deere lawn mower oil from Walmart
hillbilly
10/25/2014 6:05am
I pretty sure that grade of rotella has the 'energy conservative" additives. Looks like it says it right on the front.

Those additives are not for clutch packs ,will reduce the friction between the plates.

There is a rotella that does not have the additives.

Id use the max
moto38
10/25/2014 6:09am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2014 6:20am

my 2 cents.
You do realize that motor oil is a detergent. If it doesn't come out dirty then it's not doing it's job. All that crud is staying...
You do realize that motor oil is a detergent. If it doesn't come out dirty then it's not doing it's job. All that crud is staying in your engine.
Rotella T6 (blue bottle) is the only rotella that is JASO MA approved.

Post a reply to: What Oil to use?!?

The Latest