Well Well Well, looks like RV may try and race after all!

rcm406
Edited Date/Time 4/22/2014 10:25am
From Racerhead:

… which is the big question: What’s next for Ryan Villopoto? Unless you've been offline the past few weeks, you have read or heard the talk that the defending Lucas Oil 450 Pro Motocross Champion is not going to be racing outdoors. Various reports have him riding with a re-injured leg that knocked him out of the Motocross of Nations last year; others have him injuring his other leg. There's also the rather odd one that he's already exhausted Kawasaki's win-bonus budget for 2014. But no one has apparently talked to RV himself about what's really going on (or not going on), and his team hasn't said anything either. They appear to be getting ready for outdoors, business as usual.

This talk is not limited to online pundits, race reporters, and pit gawkers. It was a big topic of conversation at the Red Bull MotoGP last weekend at the remarkable Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, where much of the racing industry was gathered even while the Seattle Supercross was being run (and won by Villopoto). I have received calls here at the office from national promoters asking if it's true or not, and I don't really know what to tell them, as I haven't had the chance to speak with Villopoto either.

But here's what we think we know: Villopoto has a problem with his knee, but it's the other leg—not the one that needed ankle work and knocked him out of the MXoN last year. He injured it within the last month. While Ryan himself is not saying anything on the subject, the plan is apparently to try to go outdoors, beginning with Glen Helen on May 24, and then for as long as he can stand the pain or stay in the championship hunt. If he makes it through the season, that would be fantastic for everyone—at least everyone but Team USA and maybe even the Monster Energy Cup fans, because if he needs three or four months (a best-case-scenario for knee surgery), that puts him right up against the start of the 2015 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Championship in January. And no one can blame the man for keeping his eye on the SX record books and maybe doing something that even Jeremy McGrath never did: win five SX championship titles in a row.
|
48dirtbikekid
4/18/2014 5:35pm
Matthes didn't have any part of racerhead, he walked away too. Expect a press release after the holiday weekend...
Big Lenny
4/18/2014 5:49pm
RV needs to sack up and tell his folks what's happening...
TeamGreen
4/18/2014 6:00pm
RV needs to do what's best for his Health...in the Long-Run.

Period.

I could understand, COMPLETELY, his need to get things fixed and THEN worry about racing.

At the age od 50 and with sore knees, ankle, wrist and back...? I totally get it.

The Shop

Hut
4/18/2014 6:15pm
TeamGreen wrote:
RV needs to do what's best for his Health...in the Long-Run. Period. I could understand, COMPLETELY, his need to get things fixed and THEN worry about...

Period.

I could understand, COMPLETELY, his need to get things fixed and THEN worry about racing.

At the age od 50 and with sore knees, ankle, wrist and back...? I totally get it.
Ain't that the truth
the_wood109
4/18/2014 6:27pm
Isn't that true for any professional motorcycle racer? You will most likely be jacked up to some degree, the question is how bad? It's a brutal sport.
steve_97060
4/18/2014 6:37pm
TeamGreen wrote:
RV needs to do what's best for his Health...in the Long-Run. Period. I could understand, COMPLETELY, his need to get things fixed and THEN worry about...

Period.

Nah, according to BL he just needs to sack up...
the_wood109
4/18/2014 6:39pm
Lenny is talking about how people hate on Stewie for not talking about his injuries.
Uncleof2
4/18/2014 6:49pm
Big Lenny wrote:
He's already told his folks, uncles, aunts, grandparents just not everyone else.Laughing
Big Lenny
4/18/2014 6:55pm
Lenny is talking about how people hate on Stewie for not talking about his injuries.
Where did I ever say that?... people always know when James is hurt
Jeff K
Fantasy
3743rd
4/18/2014 6:59pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Uncleof2 wrote:
He's already told his folks, uncles, aunts, grandparents just not everyone else.Laughing
Ha ha, that's awesome. I love a good suspense story. Silly
Juss
4/18/2014 7:06pm
rcm406 wrote:
From Racerhead: … which is the big question: What’s next for Ryan Villopoto? Unless you've been offline the past few weeks, you have read or heard...
From Racerhead:

… which is the big question: What’s next for Ryan Villopoto? Unless you've been offline the past few weeks, you have read or heard the talk that the defending Lucas Oil 450 Pro Motocross Champion is not going to be racing outdoors. Various reports have him riding with a re-injured leg that knocked him out of the Motocross of Nations last year; others have him injuring his other leg. There's also the rather odd one that he's already exhausted Kawasaki's win-bonus budget for 2014. But no one has apparently talked to RV himself about what's really going on (or not going on), and his team hasn't said anything either. They appear to be getting ready for outdoors, business as usual.

This talk is not limited to online pundits, race reporters, and pit gawkers. It was a big topic of conversation at the Red Bull MotoGP last weekend at the remarkable Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, where much of the racing industry was gathered even while the Seattle Supercross was being run (and won by Villopoto). I have received calls here at the office from national promoters asking if it's true or not, and I don't really know what to tell them, as I haven't had the chance to speak with Villopoto either.

But here's what we think we know: Villopoto has a problem with his knee, but it's the other leg—not the one that needed ankle work and knocked him out of the MXoN last year. He injured it within the last month. While Ryan himself is not saying anything on the subject, the plan is apparently to try to go outdoors, beginning with Glen Helen on May 24, and then for as long as he can stand the pain or stay in the championship hunt. If he makes it through the season, that would be fantastic for everyone—at least everyone but Team USA and maybe even the Monster Energy Cup fans, because if he needs three or four months (a best-case-scenario for knee surgery), that puts him right up against the start of the 2015 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Championship in January. And no one can blame the man for keeping his eye on the SX record books and maybe doing something that even Jeremy McGrath never did: win five SX championship titles in a row.
So some guy post what he thinks & you start another RV/MX thread? Lord
the_wood109
4/18/2014 7:33pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Just as people know when Lenny is fishing with stink bait.
davistld01
4/18/2014 7:34pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Period.

Hut wrote:
Ain't that the truth
Hell yes. At age 55, some mornings...and every morning after I try and ride a dirt bike like I know what I'm doing, I remember every time I've fallen & every bone I've broken vividly. Wish I'd had the sense to get some things fixed years ago. IMO if RV takes the season off to repair his knee...more power to him. He'll regret it next year if he doesn't.
Trent179
4/18/2014 7:37pm
Uncleof2 wrote:
Sure hope RV races this summer, but a guy has to do what's best for himself and family. RV or Stewart can't take a shit without someone posting about it. It's a wonder these guys stick around as long as they do.
Big Lenny
4/18/2014 7:49pm
Big Lenny wrote:
So if he lines up at GH and loses, I guess the knee will be the excuse...
steve_97060
4/18/2014 7:54pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Big Lenny wrote:
I used to think you were just fixated on JS7, but apparently you are just as fixated on RV..

one crazy cat...
rcm406
4/18/2014 7:55pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Big Lenny wrote:
What if he lines up and wins? That will demoralize the comp!
Hut
4/18/2014 7:56pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Big Lenny wrote:
Are you talking about RV because that is not at all how it went last time he lined up at Glen Helen with a bad knee.
JBlain619
4/18/2014 7:59pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Kinda like JS7 excuses for the Yamaha, not enough time on the Suzuki, and my personal favorite, the cameraman crossing the track
the_wood109
4/18/2014 8:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2014 8:00pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Big Lenny wrote:
Right, and James could use the same excuse that he hasn't talked about since it was injured. I see where you are going with this. But Stew doesn't make excuses, and neither does 'Poto.

This type of talk only comes about from fans.

In reality, they're both amazingly professional riders. This crap doesn't come from either camp, it comes from fanboys, like yourself.
Gringoe
4/18/2014 8:02pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Big Lenny wrote:
IF he lines up. He will obliterate the completion, as a statement that even if he doesn't ride every outdoor and doesn't win the title he still has everyone's number outdoors. Glen helen baby, real track, hopefully they let it get rough. He will demoralize everyone in one day.

Most likely the closest thing we will ever see to another Carmichael.

If you don't see it you're ignorant.
Juss
4/18/2014 8:03pm
Big Lenny wrote:
JBlain619 wrote:
Kinda like JS7 excuses for the Yamaha, not enough time on the Suzuki, and my personal favorite, the cameraman crossing the track
Ya, since RD owned JS the first 5 mottos till he crashed that year right?
JBlain619
4/18/2014 8:12pm
Big Lenny wrote:
JBlain619 wrote:
Juss wrote:
Ya, since RD owned JS the first 5 mottos till he crashed that year right?
Didn't say that. But to say that cameraman caused James to crash after he passed him by 50+ feet and cost him the title is fucking stupid!
mxb2
4/18/2014 8:15pm
Big Lenny wrote:
JBlain619 wrote:
bingo, excuses since 2009, lmao
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
4/18/2014 8:18pm
Big Lenny wrote:
JBlain619 wrote:
After that race Dungey did an interview with RacerX and said he could see how that could distract you enough at that speed to cross rut and crash, Broc Glover said the same thing.

I think for the most part these top guys give the facts on why they struggle, its the fans that don't like them that call them excuses.
hopgrower
4/18/2014 8:18pm
It seems interesting that Davey started the rumor last week and now he is talking about what rumor other people are spreading.
Big Lenny
4/18/2014 8:26pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Gringoe wrote:
IF he lines up. He will obliterate the completion, as a statement that even if he doesn't ride every outdoor and doesn't win the title he...
IF he lines up. He will obliterate the completion, as a statement that even if he doesn't ride every outdoor and doesn't win the title he still has everyone's number outdoors. Glen helen baby, real track, hopefully they let it get rough. He will demoralize everyone in one day.

Most likely the closest thing we will ever see to another Carmichael.

If you don't see it you're ignorant.
"Obliterate the completion"?....Yet I'm the ignorant one...Dry
48dirtbikekid
4/18/2014 8:28pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:
After that race Dungey did an interview with RacerX and said he could see how that could distract you enough at that speed to cross rut...
After that race Dungey did an interview with RacerX and said he could see how that could distract you enough at that speed to cross rut and crash, Broc Glover said the same thing.

I think for the most part these top guys give the facts on why they struggle, its the fans that don't like them that call them excuses.
I think you sir are for the most part correct! Maybe not fully honest with the questions on how their bike set up is or his happiness within the team, however that understandable IMO.

Post a reply to: Well Well Well, looks like RV may try and race after all!

The Latest