Well, Assen was a bloody great GP

Edited Date/Time 9/6/2015 3:15pm
Managed to across last minute. Excellent racing, gnarly track, super atmosphere, a new champ, massive crowds.

It'll be back.
|
Alex
8/31/2015 4:29pm
Definitely not a fan of seeing them attempt these events willy nilly and I still think Qatars a bit of a turd, but that was a cool race.

8/31/2015 4:43pm
Qatar is a shite race we all agree but it's there for a reason. Cherching.

This template will be used more often, the sand and crowd made it better, the layout was pretty good too, could have been a bit wider but hey, they were working to limits.
vschaik141
8/31/2015 7:15pm
thx for the pics... amazin weekend we had there... I hope we will be back at lierop next year toh... why not have 3 GP's in the netherlands ehehh
The Rock
9/1/2015 2:05am
I have watched both classes from Assen on a friend's DVD. I enjoyed the races and am happy for Simpson and or course Febvre.

Thanks for sharing these photos as it gives a different perspective of the track.

The Shop

JackLHyde
9/1/2015 2:45am
Do you think it was a success more because of the crowd, or the venue?
I just don't get why Lausitzring was such a massive fail back then. It was hot as balls, but in a historically big motocross-enthusiastic region.
Xavier
9/1/2015 5:01am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2015 5:02am
Best graft to a road race venue that we've seen in GP's, by far.

The concept is usaually strange (MX/road racing venue) but Assen is the exception, perfectly suited to it !

+ it has history legacy and, even more importantly, a crowd.

The Daytona of Europe ?
ocscottie
9/1/2015 5:09am
I havent even watched this race yet, ever since the US nats have ended i took a bit of a hiatus...also had a terrible week, 3 migraines in 8 days. Blink

Just getting back into the swing of things now and have it on my DVR at the top of my list. REALLY awesome to hear such good feedback for it being on a new man made venue.
Jefro98
9/1/2015 5:27am
Xavier wrote:
Best graft to a road race venue that we've seen in GP's, by far. The concept is usaually strange (MX/road racing venue) but Assen is the...
Best graft to a road race venue that we've seen in GP's, by far.

The concept is usaually strange (MX/road racing venue) but Assen is the exception, perfectly suited to it !

+ it has history legacy and, even more importantly, a crowd.

The Daytona of Europe ?
This year I have been to Daytona and Assen sure felt like a smaller version of it.
Good vibe, I did not speak to anybody there who didn't like it.

Track could use some tweaks here and there but overall it was a very succesfull event.

The Rock
9/1/2015 9:47am
ocscottie wrote:
I havent even watched this race yet, ever since the US nats have ended i took a bit of a hiatus...also had a terrible week, 3...
I havent even watched this race yet, ever since the US nats have ended i took a bit of a hiatus...also had a terrible week, 3 migraines in 8 days. Blink

Just getting back into the swing of things now and have it on my DVR at the top of my list. REALLY awesome to hear such good feedback for it being on a new man made venue.
That sucks man. Hope you feel better soon. Are you sure there isn't sinus issue? When I traveled a lot I had to.contend with migraines from sinus infections frequently.

GOOD LUCK!
.kyle
9/1/2015 10:05am
Based on the helmet cam footage from Ferris the day before the race, I thought the track looked rubbish and wasn't going to have much excitement. I'm glad I was proved wrong! I thought the racing was good and the track looked like a lot of fun!!

If only they would have some deep sand races for the AMA outdoors series.
9/1/2015 10:25am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2015 10:27am
The sand saved it imo, always such an interesting terrain to watch the pros dissect. Plus a title wrap-up is special.

As a GP taken in its entirety, I thought it was quite good (I wasn't there in person). I would fear more rounds ending up like that because I would miss the natural setting and hills of most normal tracks. All things considered I still much rather it were at Lierop, but fair play it was better than I expected.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
230th
9/1/2015 2:52pm
37000 spectators apparently turned up through gates. I think it's safe to bet it'll be back again next year
DA498
9/1/2015 3:44pm
.kyle wrote:
Based on the helmet cam footage from Ferris the day before the race, I thought the track looked rubbish and wasn't going to have much excitement...
Based on the helmet cam footage from Ferris the day before the race, I thought the track looked rubbish and wasn't going to have much excitement. I'm glad I was proved wrong! I thought the racing was good and the track looked like a lot of fun!!

If only they would have some deep sand races for the AMA outdoors series.
I agree on the US Nationals series, It would be great to have a deep sand track on the circuit.

Post a reply to: Well, Assen was a bloody great GP

The Latest