Weird shoulder problem.....advice?

jeffro503
1/3/2011 3:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:42am
Back in the middle of Sept , I took a pretty good soil sample and bruised up a bunch of stuff on my right side. I bruised up my right knee , upper leg , right ribs , right arm , shoulder and collar bone.

I "think" i may have slightly fractured my right collar bone , as it took about 6-8 weeks before it started feeling better again. The problem I am having now ( which at first I thought was my collarbone ) is turning out to be something different i think.

If you were to take a hand , and push in just slightly on my right shoulder blade ( on my back )and then up.....it hurts like hell! Feels like my collar bone or something right below that is getting ready to break or let go. in pushing exercises , it's not bad , but on pulling exercises , it feels like something is getting ready to give out.

I'm going to give it another month or so , and if doesn't start feeling better , or I can learn to cope with it , I guess I'll have to go in for an MRI.

Any ideas on what this may be? I'm praying it's something that will get better with time , as I can't afford the surgery or the time off work right now.

|
Billy Jack
1/3/2011 3:17pm
I'd go to a doctor now so you can at least get it looked at.
Show871
Fantasy
469th
1/3/2011 3:57pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Back in the middle of Sept , I took a pretty good soil sample and bruised up a bunch of stuff on my right side. I...
Back in the middle of Sept , I took a pretty good soil sample and bruised up a bunch of stuff on my right side. I bruised up my right knee , upper leg , right ribs , right arm , shoulder and collar bone.

I "think" i may have slightly fractured my right collar bone , as it took about 6-8 weeks before it started feeling better again. The problem I am having now ( which at first I thought was my collarbone ) is turning out to be something different i think.

If you were to take a hand , and push in just slightly on my right shoulder blade ( on my back )and then up.....it hurts like hell! Feels like my collar bone or something right below that is getting ready to break or let go. in pushing exercises , it's not bad , but on pulling exercises , it feels like something is getting ready to give out.

I'm going to give it another month or so , and if doesn't start feeling better , or I can learn to cope with it , I guess I'll have to go in for an MRI.

Any ideas on what this may be? I'm praying it's something that will get better with time , as I can't afford the surgery or the time off work right now.

Fro, sounds funny but google orthopedic shoulder injury tests. There are about 20 different tests than can really help isolate a shoulder injury, same tests a good ortho will do to help narrow things down. Even several videos of tests you can do with someone helping you to just get an idea. I have a slap tear which I have been told I can live with, but sure enough if I do a slap tear test I start crying. Good luck
jeffro503
1/3/2011 4:01pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Back in the middle of Sept , I took a pretty good soil sample and bruised up a bunch of stuff on my right side. I...

Show871 wrote:
Fro, sounds funny but google orthopedic shoulder injury tests. There are about 20 different tests than can really help isolate a shoulder injury, same tests a...
Fro, sounds funny but google orthopedic shoulder injury tests. There are about 20 different tests than can really help isolate a shoulder injury, same tests a good ortho will do to help narrow things down. Even several videos of tests you can do with someone helping you to just get an idea. I have a slap tear which I have been told I can live with, but sure enough if I do a slap tear test I start crying. Good luck
Wow.....thanks Show. I will look into those tests then this evening.

BTW....what is a slap test?

And Sloan.....i would go to a doctor right now if I could afford it. I drop my insurance coverage during the winter when I don't ride....I simply can't afford the $300-$400.00 a month. I won't ride without it though.
Towelie
1/3/2011 4:04pm
while I am no medical expert I can say with utmost certainty that something is wrong. Do you concur Doctor?

The Shop

PC
1/3/2011 5:13pm
I've been to a few ortho's around the Portland area in the past few years and the best and most caring doc was Dr. Crist at Portland Clinic in Tigard. And he's not even an ortho. He spent more time with me performing strength and flexibility tests (rather than solely reading xrays) than the last 10 ortho's I've seen combined.

Ortho's seem to concentrate on mending only your bones as quick as they can and dont seem concerned as to any underlying issues.. This guy was far more concerned about how to identify and correct ALL issues from bone-to-muscle-to-nerve, non-surgically unless truly required. Mostly though, It was an eye opening experience to meet a sports doc who gives a shit!!!!!
jeffro503
1/3/2011 5:49pm
PC wrote:
I've been to a few ortho's around the Portland area in the past few years and the best and most caring doc was Dr. Crist at...
I've been to a few ortho's around the Portland area in the past few years and the best and most caring doc was Dr. Crist at Portland Clinic in Tigard. And he's not even an ortho. He spent more time with me performing strength and flexibility tests (rather than solely reading xrays) than the last 10 ortho's I've seen combined.

Ortho's seem to concentrate on mending only your bones as quick as they can and dont seem concerned as to any underlying issues.. This guy was far more concerned about how to identify and correct ALL issues from bone-to-muscle-to-nerve, non-surgically unless truly required. Mostly though, It was an eye opening experience to meet a sports doc who gives a shit!!!!!
PC....would you mind sending me a PM with some contact info for DR Crist?
braaap
Fantasy
2090th
1/3/2011 5:56pm
A slap test will check the labrum. When the labrum is torn they call it a slap tear.

I've had two labrum surgeries on my left shoulder and it's still screwed up! Pushing never gave me a problem. Pulling on something hurt and made my arm feel like it was about to pull out of socket!

If I've learned anything about surgeries it's this....don't do it unless you absolutely have to!
txmxer
1/3/2011 5:58pm
no doubt it's jacked up.

I had a hard fall basically flat on my chest. For about a year there was some movement in the bones that wasn't normal...a pop. But, fortunately it didn't hurt and has stopped doing it.

You may have damaged some connecting tissues (like show mentions). Hope it turns out non-surgical.

Ddavis
1/3/2011 6:02pm
Im the king of not going to the doctor when something doesn't feel right.

All I can say is, GO TO THE HOSPITAL! Get it checked out.
jeffro503
1/3/2011 6:11pm
Thanks for the info guys. I think i'll see if I can get myself in to go see this DR Crist that PC mentioned above. I would rather go through some kind of therapy I can do myself , if he shows me how. I really do NOT want surgery.......And Braaap above pretty much explains why.
redrider400
1/3/2011 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 1/3/2011 8:38pm
jeffro503 wrote:

dude, I was about to post close to the same thing. I broke my collarbone in 4 places about 12 weeks ago. My collarbone is about healed, but as the pain goes away, I am noticing my shoulder blade feels weird. If I stand back against a wall, my right scapula sticks out more than my left. Also, my whole right arm feels unstable compared to my left side. I dunno, I was going Wednesday to get checked off by my doc to ride, but I tried to go riding this weekend and I am still to weak and unstable.

Also, if I reach back and push down on my scapula, it hurts. I am wondering if I had a broken scapula also.
redrider400
1/3/2011 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 1/3/2011 6:51pm
just say you did it at work...Problem solved
I have done that before, they take really good care of you, plus don't find out about your little "hobby"
jeffro503
1/3/2011 6:45pm
Believe me I would , but I own my own little remodel drywall business. So I still have to pay for it hehe.

RR400....sounds like you got that collar bone pretty good! I have broken both of mine a few times and it sucks! I'm about 99% positive that I cracked it again on that last wreck , but it didn't break all the way through.

Kind of hard to explain exactly where my pain is. But if i take my left hand , and reach over the top of my right shoulder and put it on my upper shoulder area on my back....there is a big bone called a "Scapula" ( Shoulder blade ) ( look here >>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/Human_skeleton_back_… )

If I reach around , put my fingers on that , push in just slightly , and then pull up , there is a lot of pain right underneath my collar bone area. It's hard to pin point exactly where the pain is coming from , but my collar bone feels like it's about ready to snap when I do that.

I think I may have torn something....but I have no idea what.
redrider400
1/3/2011 6:53pm
Well good luck finding out man. I had a shoulder injury (and still do) from lifting heavy weights and never did find out about it because the MRI with contrast was going to run me around 1k with insurance. And I just can't afford it.
DrSweden
1/3/2011 7:47pm
I have forgotten a lot about my previous orthopedic knowledge. But you should get that checked to be sure. No one can give you the right diagnose over the web. Based on your info something is damaged it seems, damaged as in strain, inflammation. It could be a nerve (there's a nerve that goes over the ribs that partly controls the scapula). That one can find it's ends and grow back. Takes time. Bones are healed by now. I would count that out. Maybe some callus can cause problems as in frictions, but that disappears with time so I'm betting on a strain. Depending on the severeness it's something you often fix with physical therapy only.

See a doc. Any certified orto should do the trick, in Sweden a general practitioner is often enough. He then most likely will give you a referral with some info to a physical therapist? That's how it goes in my hoods.

Still docs in the US are so afraid to be sued (I assume people often sue them), so just to make sure they often do unnecessary x-rays and MRI ($) which often says shit.

Anyway, exercise is often the only cure, not often they operate.

Anyway, I didn't get a bad feeling while reading about you shit, if that helps?

Cheers buddy, keep us updated and see a doc if you feel worried (which you seems to be).

By the way, could you go to a orto in the US just for this and pay cash for an simple exam? If he has balls he will not force you to x-ray, or MRI which would mean only 30 minutes of his time for an basic shoulder exam.
DrSweden
1/3/2011 7:48pm
dude, I was about to post close to the same thing. I broke my collarbone in 4 places about 12 weeks ago. My collarbone is about...
dude, I was about to post close to the same thing. I broke my collarbone in 4 places about 12 weeks ago. My collarbone is about healed, but as the pain goes away, I am noticing my shoulder blade feels weird. If I stand back against a wall, my right scapula sticks out more than my left. Also, my whole right arm feels unstable compared to my left side. I dunno, I was going Wednesday to get checked off by my doc to ride, but I tried to go riding this weekend and I am still to weak and unstable.

Also, if I reach back and push down on my scapula, it hurts. I am wondering if I had a broken scapula also.
Sounds like a winged scapula...
redrider400
1/3/2011 8:41pm
dude, I was about to post close to the same thing. I broke my collarbone in 4 places about 12 weeks ago. My collarbone is about...

DrSweden wrote:
Sounds like a winged scapula...
Thanks man, I will definitely relay that to my ortho on Wednesday.
motowerx
1/3/2011 9:59pm
please tell me that was a joke....

Post a reply to: Weird shoulder problem.....advice?

The Latest