Webb's YZ250F was hooking UP!

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 1/21/2015 3:24pm
Watching the 250 main two things stood out for me, the flowing style of Justin Hill and how much time Webb gained by his bike having better traction than the competition. So many factors go into getting that power to the ground better than the next person and the difference it makes is clear to see after the gate drops. I definitely vote A2 as the best track of the season...flat turns make for so much better racing than cookie cutter 180 SX turns.
|
KlootZak
1/20/2015 2:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2015 2:16pm
The track was definitely awesome. it created so much action and I do not understand why Feld doesn't design more tracks like this. It's a complete win-win Blink

Webbs' race was very impressive Cool One of the best in the 250 class I have seen in a while. Pretty sure he will be at the top in the 450 class (in 2-3 years).

Hill disappointed me a lot. I expected him to crush this championship. If he would not get starts or crashes a lot, okay I understand. But he is going BACKWARDS. He is too slow compared to Webb, Nelson, Bowers, etc. I really expected A LOT more ... He said he crashed before A1 but mwheh ...
race
1/20/2015 2:35pm
Didn't Hill say he has been sick?

Crush
1/20/2015 3:20pm
HI'll was really sick at the first two, sounded like crap in his interviews
moscrop940
1/20/2015 3:46pm
Crush wrote:
For those who don't live in So Cal, EVERYONE is sick right now. Last week the majority of my office was out for atleast 3 or 4 days, myself included. Whatever has been going around zaps everything you have right out of you. Assuming Hill has the So Cal bug, he is a bad mother F@#ker for riding with it

The Shop

1/20/2015 6:49pm
Crush wrote:
moscrop940 wrote:
For those who don't live in So Cal, EVERYONE is sick right now. Last week the majority of my office was out for atleast 3 or...
For those who don't live in So Cal, EVERYONE is sick right now. Last week the majority of my office was out for atleast 3 or 4 days, myself included. Whatever has been going around zaps everything you have right out of you. Assuming Hill has the So Cal bug, he is a bad mother F@#ker for riding with it
I do and I've been sick and my whole house has.
gharmon
1/20/2015 6:58pm
Yall be sure to keep that shit out there, okay! Thanks.. LOL
Zycki11
1/20/2015 7:47pm
I think the star team has ridiculously awesome bikes right now. It looks like it handles well, turns well, and the engine is pulling really hard. I forget who said it(I think Matthes). Glen Helen national and he said those yamahas sounded so badass, and throaty going up the hills compared to the other bikes.
The Rock
1/20/2015 9:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2015 9:55pm
Crush wrote:
moscrop940 wrote:
For those who don't live in So Cal, EVERYONE is sick right now. Last week the majority of my office was out for atleast 3 or...
I do and I've been sick and my whole house has.
I feel lucky to have gotten in on the 1st to SoCal and out on the 6th without picking the SoCal bug up. One buddy I saw briefly on the 5th had been sick for two weeks and another friend for three weeks.

On the Star Yamahas subject I was at Glen Helen and witnessed Jeremy Martin getting three holeshots. Now after A2 it is obvious the new YZ250F engine under the massaging of Brad Hoffman and George Luttig at FMF coming up with the optimum exhaust the resulting packing is both one seriously powerful mofo as well as a very tractable combination. I was impressed at GH but am even more impressed now after seeing the power put down Saturday night on less than ideal conditions and seeing the difference it made in lap times.

Watching it online today the 250F Main reminded me of how slick Ascot would get on Friday nights after the marine layer rolled in. I would much rather see riders doing balancing acts on the bike to get the most traction on a flat turn than watching someone air out a 70 foot triple or someone pulling off a quad but hey I'm old.

EDIT Buzz in the pits at the GH Nationals after the 3 holeshots was the 250 Yamahas were 50hp motors. I can appreciate why Steve Lamson said at the MXdN Jeremy Martin's Euro spec bike (fuel and sound) was slower but was actually easier to ride per Jeremy.
Crush
1/20/2015 10:07pm
The Rock wrote:
I feel lucky to have gotten in on the 1st to SoCal and out on the 6th without picking the SoCal bug up. One buddy I...
I feel lucky to have gotten in on the 1st to SoCal and out on the 6th without picking the SoCal bug up. One buddy I saw briefly on the 5th had been sick for two weeks and another friend for three weeks.

On the Star Yamahas subject I was at Glen Helen and witnessed Jeremy Martin getting three holeshots. Now after A2 it is obvious the new YZ250F engine under the massaging of Brad Hoffman and George Luttig at FMF coming up with the optimum exhaust the resulting packing is both one seriously powerful mofo as well as a very tractable combination. I was impressed at GH but am even more impressed now after seeing the power put down Saturday night on less than ideal conditions and seeing the difference it made in lap times.

Watching it online today the 250F Main reminded me of how slick Ascot would get on Friday nights after the marine layer rolled in. I would much rather see riders doing balancing acts on the bike to get the most traction on a flat turn than watching someone air out a 70 foot triple or someone pulling off a quad but hey I'm old.

EDIT Buzz in the pits at the GH Nationals after the 3 holeshots was the 250 Yamahas were 50hp motors. I can appreciate why Steve Lamson said at the MXdN Jeremy Martin's Euro spec bike (fuel and sound) was slower but was actually easier to ride per Jeremy.
50HP is the reason why they should change the classes to 250 four strokes premier division and 125cc two strokes for the entry class. So many benefits.
The Rock
1/21/2015 12:25am
Crush wrote:
50HP is the reason why they should change the classes to 250 four strokes premier division and 125cc two strokes for the entry class. So many...
50HP is the reason why they should change the classes to 250 four strokes premier division and 125cc two strokes for the entry class. So many benefits.
If the cost of maintaining those 50 hp motors was coming out of your budget I'm not sure if you'd see the benefits. :-)

The idea of a 125 two stroke class is a good one and implementation is long overdue. How about a stock 250F class with sealed motors? All you could do would be pipe and suspension.
Crush
1/21/2015 5:03am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2015 5:04am
The Rock wrote:
If the cost of maintaining those 50 hp motors was coming out of your budget I'm not sure if you'd see the benefits. :-) The idea...
If the cost of maintaining those 50 hp motors was coming out of your budget I'm not sure if you'd see the benefits. :-)

The idea of a 125 two stroke class is a good one and implementation is long overdue. How about a stock 250F class with sealed motors? All you could do would be pipe and suspension.
That's the point tho. The 250 teams, that cover twice as many riders and staff as the 450 guys due to two coasts have the most expensive engine programs. It's literally retarded.

Make the 250s the premier class and the big cost of engine dev goes to the premier teams, but it's nowhere near as much because half as many riders AND they've now only accommodating one four stroke engine package in production and racing development–the 250.

The regional class engine costs drop so the satellite teams, that already have to accommodate twice as many riders, have more budget to go around for, well everything. A healthier industry all around.

Amateurs moving up who aren't lucky enough to be on PC/Geico etc, are no longer priced out of having a competitive engine and forced to race a 65hp 450 before they're ready, we've seen that a lot recently...

125s as the first professional racing class would drop all development costs throughout the entire amateur racing arena, two strokes from 50cc-to pro for the teams and privateers alike.

Provides a better stepping stone through the classes and revitalises probably the greatest racing class in MX/SX history (Where's Newmann?)

The premier class bikes come back down to something more manageable, to similar horsepower levels to what was the norm in 2000s, away from the ridiculous nature of 65hp bikes on a sx track, a thinking that was dropped in the early 90s with the 500 class.

We already pretty much see that racing is almost always better in the 250 class because the 450 bikes are so damn fast no one pushes it, and the pros reiterate this time and time again.

Therefore the tracks can go back to being tighter, slower, safer, more technical, more interesting, than the high speed hit the deck shit we have now... No more 450s with so much power they can idle around the track and anything that extends them is far far far past the safety limits for the human body.

And to top it off there is a clear marketable difference for new fans between the thump thump thump of the big boy class and the zippy sound of the kid class...
BroFoSho
1/21/2015 7:35am
Bring back a 125 class? that is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Good way to make the sport boring. Might as well just watch the KTM Junior race, because they'd be going about as fast.
The Rock
1/21/2015 8:32am
I will give you a pass since you only have 92 posts and just assume you're new. There are more than a couple of people around Vital MX and at the races that support a 125 class class at SX and at the Nationals.
1/21/2015 9:23am
The bugs are working out of the downdraft intake. It hasn't helped the 450 because they have too much power as it is.
One problem with the tracks is that the builders have to use hard and slick dirt; otherwise, the 450s would tear it up after a couple heats.
The 450 class came about by accident and not by design. It was 125/250 two strokes from 1970 to 2000. They wanted four-strokes to be competitive so uh, 450cc should do it. It wasn't that veteran riders, manufacturers and promoters put any effort into making a decision.
moscrop940
1/21/2015 10:20am
BroFoSho wrote:
Bring back a 125 class? that is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Good way to make the sport boring. Might as well...
Bring back a 125 class? that is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Good way to make the sport boring. Might as well just watch the KTM Junior race, because they'd be going about as fast.
Mr. BroFo Sho, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
moscrop940
1/21/2015 10:28am
gharmon wrote:
Yall be sure to keep that shit out there, okay! Thanks.. LOL
I will do my best haha.

Seriously though usually I get sick once or twice a year around this time, and its not nearly as bad as what it is this year.

Whatever is going around is the weirdest thing. Usually you can feel a cold or flu creeping up, but not this one. I showed up to work on Tuesday at 7AM feeling perfectly fine, no sniffles, no cough, nothing. I got up to grab some coffee, and I shit you not in the time it took me to leave my desk, walk to the break room ( 50 feet tops) and walk back, I thought I was going to die. My body was aching to the point I couldn't sit down, I couldn't look at my computer ( which is 99% of my job) and couldn't even talk. I didn't tell my bosses I was leaving, just made a B line for the car and was at home for the next few days not able to move off the couch.

So once again, if Hill has it, hes a baaaaaad dude
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2803rd
1/21/2015 11:10am
Yamaha need to make a 350. It would be an absolute beast of a machine
Crush
1/21/2015 2:16pm
BroFoSho wrote:
Bring back a 125 class? that is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Good way to make the sport boring. Might as well...
Please tell me you are joking?

I'd rather see 10 more Stewy vs WADA threads than read shit like that?

125s were the best thing ever. Slower, yep, but way more entertaining....

Are you 12
ratonmacias
1/21/2015 3:15pm
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Yamaha need to make a 350. It would be an absolute beast of a machine
That would be cool. now how would a 250 smoker fare against a 350 thumper?
RY4N37
1/21/2015 3:24pm
Crush wrote:
That's the point tho. The 250 teams, that cover twice as many riders and staff as the 450 guys due to two coasts have the most...
That's the point tho. The 250 teams, that cover twice as many riders and staff as the 450 guys due to two coasts have the most expensive engine programs. It's literally retarded.

Make the 250s the premier class and the big cost of engine dev goes to the premier teams, but it's nowhere near as much because half as many riders AND they've now only accommodating one four stroke engine package in production and racing development–the 250.

The regional class engine costs drop so the satellite teams, that already have to accommodate twice as many riders, have more budget to go around for, well everything. A healthier industry all around.

Amateurs moving up who aren't lucky enough to be on PC/Geico etc, are no longer priced out of having a competitive engine and forced to race a 65hp 450 before they're ready, we've seen that a lot recently...

125s as the first professional racing class would drop all development costs throughout the entire amateur racing arena, two strokes from 50cc-to pro for the teams and privateers alike.

Provides a better stepping stone through the classes and revitalises probably the greatest racing class in MX/SX history (Where's Newmann?)

The premier class bikes come back down to something more manageable, to similar horsepower levels to what was the norm in 2000s, away from the ridiculous nature of 65hp bikes on a sx track, a thinking that was dropped in the early 90s with the 500 class.

We already pretty much see that racing is almost always better in the 250 class because the 450 bikes are so damn fast no one pushes it, and the pros reiterate this time and time again.

Therefore the tracks can go back to being tighter, slower, safer, more technical, more interesting, than the high speed hit the deck shit we have now... No more 450s with so much power they can idle around the track and anything that extends them is far far far past the safety limits for the human body.

And to top it off there is a clear marketable difference for new fans between the thump thump thump of the big boy class and the zippy sound of the kid class...
I agree 100% the 450's are far too fast and as a result the tracks have had to change. You watch a GoPro from any 450 rider and you'd struggle to hear a gear change the entire race. If you look back at SX in the late 90's early 00's that's when the tracks were the best in my opinion, and the old 125 races were insane. I think it would be awesome to bring back the 125 class, unfortunately i think it's highly unlikely to happen.

Post a reply to: Webb's YZ250F was hooking UP!

The Latest