We need less sound testing in SX not more in 2017

The Rock
8/8/2016 11:17am
Say what?

Certain venues the sound testing procedure actually aggravates the neighbors (Petco being a prime example) so in these cases sound testing is actually counter productive.

My vote is to go to more random testing at these particular venues. Keep up the heavy testing at the first couple of SX races for both East/West series but then transition to random.

All sounds hunky dory yeah? It is but things get sticky when the subject of post race sound testing is brought up so we will save that nugget for a rainy day.
|
Motofinne
8/8/2016 11:48am
Aren't they testing every bike before every race in the tech inspection?

I mean they sound test every time at my B class races here in tiny Finland.
The Rock
8/9/2016 1:24am
Up to now weather permitting every round of SX sees full sound testing. I'm proposing after first two rounds of each series go to random or at a minimum do random at the venues where sound testing actually creates problems with folks in the vicinity.

AMA's Tim McAdams and others have a good ear for flagging offenders during practice. It is my perception (can't say it is reality) there isn't much post race sound testing. More on that as I get more edumacated.
BS261
8/9/2016 1:30am
How about sound testing that screaming announcer?

The Shop

The Rock
8/9/2016 1:55am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2016 1:56am
Good one!

Don't get me started on Lurch's screaming at the starts.
ebers
Fantasy
170th
8/9/2016 6:10am
Rock, you feeling ok? LESS sound testing!?
kkawboy14
8/9/2016 6:53am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2016 6:54am
Dumbest waste of resources, other than random drug testing
DL
8/9/2016 7:09am
Fact is most teams cheat in one way or another. Although I like the lower sound levels compared to pre 2 Meter Max compliance it's mostly unfair for the privateers.
bvm111
8/9/2016 7:46am

NATEP231
8/9/2016 7:52am
Ban multiple ignition switches. PC will fail every single time
ML512
Fantasy
36th
8/9/2016 8:00am
NATEP231 wrote:
There's a different way of getting around testing with mapping than just using "switches".
Bearuno
8/9/2016 9:12am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2016 9:35am
Feld / Barnum & Bailey are a multi million (billion?) dollar company. They can afford to purchase, and transport, a portable, Knock Down testing cube. My brother makes such things, with full ventilation and filtration, so that testers / operators are exposed to No danger. Such a thing, would alleviate Any problems associated with testing, at venues.

Don't give such well off promoters any leeway, nor to the teams.

Less noise testing, suggested by a bloke that I've deduced has a bit to do with noise attenuation systems, seems strange, Rock.

I read, fairly often, people complaining about noise levels at SXs, so very often, people that are pretty devoted to Motorcycles, at that.

Bikes can sound great, without being obnoxious. Noise levels should be reduced. The company / manufacturer that can get noise levels down, while still getting great power, well, more power to them ( please excuse the deliberate pun).
kkawboy14
8/9/2016 9:20am
NATEP231 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
There's a different way of getting around testing with mapping than just using "switches".
Volkswagen proved that!
kkawboy14
8/9/2016 9:24am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2016 9:25am
Bearuno wrote:
Feld / Barnum & Bailey are a multi million (billion?) dollar company. They can afford to purchase, and transport, a portable, Knock Down testing cube. My...
Feld / Barnum & Bailey are a multi million (billion?) dollar company. They can afford to purchase, and transport, a portable, Knock Down testing cube. My brother makes such things, with full ventilation and filtration, so that testers / operators are exposed to No danger. Such a thing, would alleviate Any problems associated with testing, at venues.

Don't give such well off promoters any leeway, nor to the teams.

Less noise testing, suggested by a bloke that I've deduced has a bit to do with noise attenuation systems, seems strange, Rock.

I read, fairly often, people complaining about noise levels at SXs, so very often, people that are pretty devoted to Motorcycles, at that.

Bikes can sound great, without being obnoxious. Noise levels should be reduced. The company / manufacturer that can get noise levels down, while still getting great power, well, more power to them ( please excuse the deliberate pun).
Most of us like it loud!

People are farther away from the bikes now!
I like drag racing, nascar, monster trucks.....does Feld do sound testing on Monster Trucks?
ML512
Fantasy
36th
8/9/2016 10:01am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2016 10:03am
I'm quite happy with the current sound levels at SX. I remember a few years ago at A1 when you could stand in the parking lot and hear the bikes... Now, I have to keep track of my schedule because I'll be out wandering the pits chatting and shooting for Pit Bits...and I'll actually miss a practice because I can't hear the bikes. Also, bench racing in the stadium has become much easier, as I'm able to talk in a normal volume instead of yelling at the person sitting next to me. But, I can still identify the exact bike panic-reving half-way across the track if needed. Honestly, the levels have gotten low enough in testing that most teams (especially 250s) are struggling more with intake noise and other rattling parts on the bike causing them to fail. Take a peek at the top 250 teams bikes ad you'll notice many close off the intake openings on the right side of the bike because it's causing them to fail. What I do think would be funny is to test the Hondas from the left-side every so often... Their left-side exhaust cans won't usually pass...

Btw, I'm not saying sound testing should be eliminated based on our current state...I'm stating the progress I've noticed the past few years and that I like these improvements.
Bearuno
8/9/2016 10:01am
Monster Trucks are a Circus. Feld running them - well, it's so very appropriate, but don't apply the lack of thought for the future of our sport, that they have for such 'shows' as Monster Trucks. If wankers are influenced by Drag Racing, NASCAR , F1 or Moto GP sound levels, well, they are fools that I would be happy to not have on Dirt Bikes, making shitloads of noise, thinking it's "cool".

SX / MX, at the highest levels, have a very direct relationship with the Bikes ridden by the Dirt Bike riding public. Noise is one of the main things the mongrels who want to restrict our sport
, target.

The highest levels of the sport, need to be a good / better influence on the 'general' levels of the sport.

I love the sound of IC dirt bikes, but not obnoxiously loud ones. That old saying / decal from the 70s, "less sound = more ground" should still be promoted.

Yes, the pricks who want to stifle / stop our sport have found many other reasons and ways to do so, but giving them such an easy target, with overly loud Bikes, shows 'our' general idiocy. Perhaps we deserve to be so targeted, with, seemingly, so many loving their obnoxiously loud Bikes, and being so proud of the racket they produce?
Bearuno
8/9/2016 10:21am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2016 10:23am
ML512 wrote:
I'm quite happy with the current sound levels at SX. I remember a few years ago at A1 when you could stand in the parking lot...
I'm quite happy with the current sound levels at SX. I remember a few years ago at A1 when you could stand in the parking lot and hear the bikes... Now, I have to keep track of my schedule because I'll be out wandering the pits chatting and shooting for Pit Bits...and I'll actually miss a practice because I can't hear the bikes. Also, bench racing in the stadium has become much easier, as I'm able to talk in a normal volume instead of yelling at the person sitting next to me. But, I can still identify the exact bike panic-reving half-way across the track if needed. Honestly, the levels have gotten low enough in testing that most teams (especially 250s) are struggling more with intake noise and other rattling parts on the bike causing them to fail. Take a peek at the top 250 teams bikes ad you'll notice many close off the intake openings on the right side of the bike because it's causing them to fail. What I do think would be funny is to test the Hondas from the left-side every so often... Their left-side exhaust cans won't usually pass...

Btw, I'm not saying sound testing should be eliminated based on our current state...I'm stating the progress I've noticed the past few years and that I like these improvements.
Sound testing, should be recognised as just that, ML = the Testing of the entire engine running whilst standing ( for the blokes who'll throw in the chain / brake etc noise, to be smartarses) related sound output of the Motorcycle. As you said, induction noise and engine noise are major parts of that equation, and any tricks like the taping you mentioned, should not be allowed. Neither should any isolating (from the sound test procedure) of those two major noise producers be allowed, as, it defeats the very purpose of noise control.

As I've said , I love the sound of IC Engines, but we seem intent on shooting ourselves in the figurative foot, by having overly loud Bikes / races.

Perhaps the simplest thing to do, would be to sound test the Bikes In the Stadium, and not out in areas that lead to complaints from those outside of the Stadiums, that The Rock seems to be mainly on about? Surely that could be done?
tobz
8/9/2016 10:23am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2016 10:23am
Ahhhaha, for fucks sake. Amazing
ML512
Fantasy
36th
8/9/2016 10:25am
Bearuno wrote:
Sound testing, should be recognised as just that, ML = the Testing of the entire engine running whilst standing ( for the blokes who'll throw in...
Sound testing, should be recognised as just that, ML = the Testing of the entire engine running whilst standing ( for the blokes who'll throw in the chain / brake etc noise, to be smartarses) related sound output of the Motorcycle. As you said, induction noise and engine noise are major parts of that equation, and any tricks like the taping you mentioned, should not be allowed. Neither should any isolating (from the sound test procedure) of those two major noise producers be allowed, as, it defeats the very purpose of noise control.

As I've said , I love the sound of IC Engines, but we seem intent on shooting ourselves in the figurative foot, by having overly loud Bikes / races.

Perhaps the simplest thing to do, would be to sound test the Bikes In the Stadium, and not out in areas that lead to complaints from those outside of the Stadiums, that The Rock seems to be mainly on about? Surely that could be done?
I think you miss-understood me on the blocking off of the intake area. It's a permanent block-off that's used all day, not just tapped up for the testing period.
kkawboy14
8/9/2016 10:42am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2016 11:40am
Bearuno wrote:
Monster Trucks are a Circus. Feld running them - well, it's so very appropriate, but don't apply the lack of thought for the future of our...
Monster Trucks are a Circus. Feld running them - well, it's so very appropriate, but don't apply the lack of thought for the future of our sport, that they have for such 'shows' as Monster Trucks. If wankers are influenced by Drag Racing, NASCAR , F1 or Moto GP sound levels, well, they are fools that I would be happy to not have on Dirt Bikes, making shitloads of noise, thinking it's "cool".

SX / MX, at the highest levels, have a very direct relationship with the Bikes ridden by the Dirt Bike riding public. Noise is one of the main things the mongrels who want to restrict our sport
, target.

The highest levels of the sport, need to be a good / better influence on the 'general' levels of the sport.

I love the sound of IC dirt bikes, but not obnoxiously loud ones. That old saying / decal from the 70s, "less sound = more ground" should still be promoted.

Yes, the pricks who want to stifle / stop our sport have found many other reasons and ways to do so, but giving them such an easy target, with overly loud Bikes, shows 'our' general idiocy. Perhaps we deserve to be so targeted, with, seemingly, so many loving their obnoxiously loud Bikes, and being so proud of the racket they produce?
Count me as one of the fools!

Most people are upset that F1 has had the sound reduced by the electric additions.

The yelling in some of the football stadiums by the fans for 2 hours is louder than moto.

SX Motos are 5 to 18 minutes, I miss 42 2 strokes singing wide open in the outdoors.
The Rock
8/10/2016 10:46am
Feld is behind sound testing to avoid OSHA infractions and or lawsuits from their employees.

Post a reply to: We need less sound testing in SX not more in 2017

The Latest