We all knew it was coming.. Factory Yamaha out

328somewhere
10/27/2009 5:28pm
Why don't they just come out and say "We have no clue what we are doing. The guy in charge has been a sleep at the wheel for the last couple years." That would make more sense.
j100
10/27/2009 5:30pm
i love it that the blue rig is parked. it's allowing them to spread a little of the wealth to other teams. I think this is only going to help our sport.
Adam43
10/27/2009 5:39pm
I think it sucks. I understand it, but its sad to see a proud team with that history and status in the sport go out.

RIP FACTORY YAMAHA

Bill163
10/27/2009 6:01pm
No Factory teams? fine but when everything changes how will that affect the outdoor nationals?.For the short term some of these new Satellite teams may cry poverty and may skip the outdoors is that for the best? NO its bad enough JS7 skipped it.Opinions?

The Shop

lumpy790
10/27/2009 6:53pm
This will be a good thing as Yamaha spreads the love to more teams there will be more moto jobs and more riders getting a long deserved pay check.

Expect to hear a lot more of these press releases from the other manufacturers.
WhKnuckle
10/27/2009 7:14pm
Fine with me. I'd rather each factory supported two or three satellite teams, there'd be more rides out there. And the next time DC wanted to set up the rules the way he wanted them to be, he wouldn't have five big hitters calling him on the phone threatening to boycott. "You're going to boycott? Uh, remember, you don't have a team any more, asshole."
Farva
10/27/2009 7:17pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
Fine with me. I'd rather each factory supported two or three satellite teams, there'd be more rides out there. And the next time DC wanted to...
Fine with me. I'd rather each factory supported two or three satellite teams, there'd be more rides out there. And the next time DC wanted to set up the rules the way he wanted them to be, he wouldn't have five big hitters calling him on the phone threatening to boycott. "You're going to boycott? Uh, remember, you don't have a team any more, asshole."
Even if they don't have "factory" teams they will still be throwing big money in one way or another at SX/MX so they will still decide what gets passed.
WhKnuckle
10/27/2009 7:25pm
Factory teams were great back in the days when factories were run by motorcycle people. But CEOs these days are just bean counters in $1000 suits and only have one interest - the value of their personal stock holdings. Racing is an activity that creates brand mystique, which is hard to quantify in quarterly earnings statements - therefore, CEOs have no idea why race teams exist. In fact, I'm sure it's hard to explain to a CEO why Yamaha builds dirt bikes in the first place.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
10/27/2009 8:44pm
Bill163 wrote:
No Factory teams? fine but when everything changes how will that affect the outdoor nationals?.For the short term some of these new Satellite teams may cry...
No Factory teams? fine but when everything changes how will that affect the outdoor nationals?.For the short term some of these new Satellite teams may cry poverty and may skip the outdoors is that for the best? NO its bad enough JS7 skipped it.Opinions?
Or not. Selling a sponsor more exposure than less may be easier. Or not; it likely turns on the eyes TV delivers, indoors or out.

I think it can be a very good thing by allowing the series to improve and sell itself a little more freely than supporting the OEM teams. I just wish it was a decision driven by something other than a widespread economic hurt that extends to a broad spectrum of the economy.

Then again, if good TV is there with a decent number of viewers, it's may be the case that good marketing people can pitch the series and sponsorship of teams as a means of brand exposure that has a less expensive buy in relative to the cost to buy into more prominent sports. It wouldn't surprise me if you could put a team a long way into the season for what some entities pay for commercials during one marquee football game.
Looped Out
10/27/2009 8:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:58am
The factories will stay involved in the sport. It's not like they are pulling out, they are just pulling back and racing through their support efforts.

I hate to compare, but NASCAR did the same thing years ago. The manufactures supply information, motors and equipment and let race teams, race and the manufactures turn into suppliers of equipment and keep their hat in the ring.

I think it's a very smart move, because now they cut racing costs and concentrate on selling motorcycles. Selling motorcycles is what they do and racing is marketing to help sell motorcycles.

This is a new age of Supercross and Motocross and Yamaha is the first company in the dirt bike racing to go this direction. With team's like L&M and Graves, Yamaha can get what they need from the marketing and exposure side and focus on what pays the bills.

Good job Yamaha for being confident enough in the partnerships they have developed with their racing efforts and smart enough to focus on their company. Yamaha has always been able to see the future and it looks like their first again.
lumpy790
10/28/2009 6:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:59am
The good news is rolling out!!!

Rock River Yamaha Amateur & Pro team.

Rock River Yamaha has purchased 2 Semis and plan on attending East Coast, West Coast, Outdoor Nationals as well as select GNCC races. Rock River is adding this to their current Amateur program to benefit Yamaha riders who have faithfully came threw the Rock River Amateur program.

The Pro Team will be a privateer truck, for Rock River riders to move to after their amateur career. The hope is to run a professional team, which will get riders quality equipment to excel the riders exposure at the Pro level, to strike a deal with permanent team. Rock River will be providing each rider with 2 complete race bikes, 1 race bike and a backup.
JOHN CHOATE
10/28/2009 6:15pm
They seemed to have a good presence at Loretta's. I saw their team name on quite a few bikes. Good news.
lumpy790
10/28/2009 6:23pm
Rock River Yamaha is Yamaha's Amateur team.
OldTiddler
10/28/2009 7:07pm
huck wrote:
And that is the beginning to the end of factory teams...
GuyB wrote:
Not the beginning of the negativity and cynicism. I'm starting to wonder if some of you guys actually like motocross.
huck wrote:
What's your problem? What did I say that was negative and cynic? Should I be dancing around a fucking fire singing and dancing with no forward...
What's your problem? What did I say that was negative and cynic?

Should I be dancing around a fucking fire singing and dancing with no forward thinking...or should we all see the writing on the wall? You'd have to be a fool to believe that the factories will continue to shell out copious amounts of money towards these SX only teams. I honestly can't blame them. Would I like each factory to spend $100,000,000 in MX/SX, yes, but you have to be realistic.

Can somebody like motocross and not like all the bullshit and over spending that goes into professional MX and SX? What's wrong with that? What's wrong with wanting our sport to go back to where it was many years ago? I'd be happy if there were LESS "fans"....
I agree with you huck. There's nothing wrong with responding honestly to what's happening in the sport. If we were all cheerleaders who knocked all the edges off our posts, this place would be pretty boring and of little real value.

Let's leave the banality to GuyB and Hattica.

Larry
10/28/2009 7:16pm
This rescission will be the best thing ever for moto. It will create more haves than have nots.

Post a reply to: We all knew it was coming.. Factory Yamaha out

The Latest