Washougal Virgin

motomike137
I'm going to be at Washougal Saturday! I'm SUPERPUMPED/STOKED Smile First time visit and I am wondering if any of the folks with experience spectating there have any advice. Thanks in advance!
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
7/18/2016 9:16am
Walk up horsepower hill and watch from there. You will appreciate how steep it really is, you'll get to see them flying down the hill and you can see a lot of the track from there. Have fun! Oh ya and make sure you get a teriyaki stick!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/18/2016 9:22am
PIR Thursday night, downtown Portland Friday night.

Oh, and...

RCB33
Fantasy
139th
7/18/2016 9:26am
Watch from horsepower hill or the finish line.

Pros of horsepower hill:can see a ton of the track including the start,you get a real appreciation for the steepness of the hill, and the speeds they reach are unreal.

Pros of finish line:prime view of whoops, can see various passing zones, in case of last lap battle you know who wins.

There are no really cons to either viewing area, it just comes down to what you want to see.
motomike137
7/18/2016 10:05am
GuyB wrote:
PIR Thursday night, downtown Portland Friday night. Oh, and... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/64/photos/85409/s1200_072715washougalpb001.jpg?1438028175[/img]

Oh, and...

lol!

The Shop

motomike137
7/18/2016 10:12am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Walk up horsepower hill and watch from there. You will appreciate how steep it really is, you'll get to see them flying down the hill and...
Walk up horsepower hill and watch from there. You will appreciate how steep it really is, you'll get to see them flying down the hill and you can see a lot of the track from there. Have fun! Oh ya and make sure you get a teriyaki stick!
Thanks! I love the sounds of horsepower hill because I like seeing these guys at speed and it sounds like a good overall viewing spot. My girl and I will have our REDDDDDDDDDDDDDD BUDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!! t-shirts on and I will have my Uncle Sam hat on also for any vitards who might be there and want to say hi Smile

Jordan421
Fantasy
2602nd
7/18/2016 10:17am
GuyB wrote:
PIR Thursday night, downtown Portland Friday night. Oh, and... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/64/photos/85409/s1200_072715washougalpb001.jpg?1438028175[/img]

Oh, and...

J LAW would be outraged!! But all honesty, do you think they are going to bring more officers to patrol around? It is Washington, people like to let their spirits fly to the sky lol
bsharkey
7/18/2016 10:45am
the weather will be beautiful this year mid 80s is what they are saying so far
Trudare
7/18/2016 12:57pm
A while back someone posted up a quicker, alternate route to the track but I could not find the original thread.....any help would be appreciated, thanks
bsharkey
7/18/2016 1:46pm
there are many ways not sure any are quicker than others though. if you get there early like 7 am I wont matter, should be pretty painless
rosebud441
7/18/2016 3:48pm
GuyB wrote:

Oh, and...

Jordan421 wrote:
J LAW would be outraged!! But all honesty, do you think they are going to bring more officers to patrol around? It is Washington, people like...
J LAW would be outraged!! But all honesty, do you think they are going to bring more officers to patrol around? It is Washington, people like to let their spirits fly to the sky lol
wouldn't be Washougal without a fresh bowl atop HP hill just before the gate drops... Good lord we are talking tradition here... I would take the sign as a "suggestion"..
7/18/2016 5:05pm
GuyB wrote:

Oh, and...

Jordan421 wrote:
J LAW would be outraged!! But all honesty, do you think they are going to bring more officers to patrol around? It is Washington, people like...
rosebud441 wrote:
wouldn't be Washougal without a fresh bowl atop HP hill just before the gate drops... Good lord we are talking tradition here... I would take the...
wouldn't be Washougal without a fresh bowl atop HP hill just before the gate drops... Good lord we are talking tradition here... I would take the sign as a "suggestion"..
Haha It's Washington after all!
MXR
7/18/2016 7:00pm
The Evergreen State
7/18/2016 7:26pm
Are the super tickets worth buying?
With those, I think you get(don't quote me) a shaded area with cooling fans, a catered lunch, drinks(soft) all day, a private bleacher in front of a pretty cool "little" triple, a shirt and an all-day pit pass...for $200(?).

Never bought one myself cuz I move around all day but it would probably be good for someone who doesn't...or can't.

7/18/2016 7:32pm
Are the super tickets worth buying?
With those, I think you get(don't quote me) a shaded area with cooling fans, a catered lunch, drinks(soft) all day, a private bleacher in front of...
With those, I think you get(don't quote me) a shaded area with cooling fans, a catered lunch, drinks(soft) all day, a private bleacher in front of a pretty cool "little" triple, a shirt and an all-day pit pass...for $200(?).

Never bought one myself cuz I move around all day but it would probably be good for someone who doesn't...or can't.

Thanks
Ryan_Roberts
7/18/2016 9:29pm
this weekend is my 21st year straight going and camping at shougal nationals since I was 4.

. Don't try and arrive saturday morning. get there friday night or sunrise saturday at the least. sleep in your car if you have to.

. Any drugs or alcohol will be searched and confiscated when you first come in. so don't waste your money on booze unless you plan on being extremely good at hiding it.

. Move around as much as you can through the day. each section you get a different experience very close to the track.

. Don't try and leave right as the race gets over, you"ll be stuck in a line clear back to town that takes a while so you might as well hang around the track a little longer and relax. camping is allowed sat night after the race as well.

.You'll have a blast I'm sure no matter what
motomike137
7/19/2016 3:45am
this weekend is my 21st year straight going and camping at shougal nationals since I was 4. . Don't try and arrive saturday morning. get there...
this weekend is my 21st year straight going and camping at shougal nationals since I was 4.

. Don't try and arrive saturday morning. get there friday night or sunrise saturday at the least. sleep in your car if you have to.

. Any drugs or alcohol will be searched and confiscated when you first come in. so don't waste your money on booze unless you plan on being extremely good at hiding it.

. Move around as much as you can through the day. each section you get a different experience very close to the track.

. Don't try and leave right as the race gets over, you"ll be stuck in a line clear back to town that takes a while so you might as well hang around the track a little longer and relax. camping is allowed sat night after the race as well.

.You'll have a blast I'm sure no matter what
Thanks for the info Ryan! I've been going to Reddddddd Buddddddddd!!!!!!! since 1975 and have gone to most of the East races at one time or another.

I don't have a lot of choice on my arrival time and will be coming in mid morning on Saturday.

I won't be bothering with trying to smuggle anything in so that won't be an issue.

I'm a long time veteran of spectating at the Nationals and I rarely stay in one spot for a complete moto let alone all day and especially at a track I've never been to before so yeah I'll be moving around. I love finding those cool spots where maybe you don't see a lot of the track but you do see a unique vantage point or catch something special that a rider is doing that not everyone notices.

As for leaving, I will be headed east toward Carson after the race. Is there a good way to escape toward 14 in that direction once I get off the track grounds?

I am positive I'm going to have a great time, I've wanted to attend this round of the series ever since I can remember Smile
robkinuk
7/19/2016 4:11am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2016 4:13am
My wife Jo and I went there in 2004 as part of our delayed honeymoon trip. Awesome track and thanks to my old friend Davey Coombs for hooking us up with credentials.
Seeing Bubba riding the wheels of his KX 125cc was awesome. He hit a square edged bump and got pitched totally sideways on the infield, but I swear he was going so fast, his momentum pulled him out of a sure fire crash for most of us mortals!
Take a walk up to the top of the hill, great views and to hear the sound of the bikes reverbing through the trees makes the hairs on your neck stand up!
We found it funny having to go into a fenced cage to buy and drink a beer!, but rules are rules...................
have fun!Smile

Post a reply to: Washougal Virgin

The Latest