Washougal Dirt

Moto810
7/24/2016 8:00pm
I thought it was very educational what Alex Martin said about the Washougal Dirt in the post race interview. Being that he was raised by track owners I think he knows what he is talking about when he says "I think they need to bring in some dirt" and that the "top soil is all gone or been washed away".

Washougal is a great track but they do need to take care of the facility better and bring in some dirt! Making an investment in your track shows you care about the future of it. With a little effort that track could be hands down the best track in the world and the riders here in the PNW are some of the coolest around.

http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/Washougal-Post-Race-with-Alex-Ma…
|
yzrider53
7/24/2016 8:06pm
They do bring in dirt from somewhere on the property and add sawdust, but 35 years of use and ppl taking it home with them on their bikes will do that to a track.
Moto810
7/24/2016 8:08pm
yzrider53 wrote:
They do bring in dirt from somewhere on the property and add sawdust, but 35 years of use and ppl taking it home with them on...
They do bring in dirt from somewhere on the property and add sawdust, but 35 years of use and ppl taking it home with them on their bikes will do that to a track.
Yeah I heard a few years ago they dug a pond up top to get some dirt but they need to keep it coming or just keeps getting worse. PIR has some great dirt!

YZrider53 I sure do hope the old SandHill ranch gets to open again soon! How is Walnut Creek these days? That is one of my favorite places!
FastEddy
Fantasy
1036th
7/24/2016 8:14pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2016 8:17pm
It's a hundred times better these days then it used to be back in the 80's & 90's.
It used to be slick clay with lots of rocks.I always thought it made it unique.
When it got wet,it was like ice though - no traction especially on the uphill.
Had some pretty miserable mud race days back in the 80's & 90's up there. Smile
yzrider53
7/24/2016 8:16pm
Moto810 wrote:
Yeah I heard a few years ago they dug a pond up top to get some dirt but they need to keep it coming or just...
Yeah I heard a few years ago they dug a pond up top to get some dirt but they need to keep it coming or just keeps getting worse. PIR has some great dirt!

YZrider53 I sure do hope the old SandHill ranch gets to open again soon! How is Walnut Creek these days? That is one of my favorite places!
Oops, I didn't realize you were a local there, didn't catch that. There was plenty of deep dirt 2 weeks ago when I was there, haha.
It's hot and crowded here in WC. We've got a public hearing at the county Tuesday night for Sandhill, hopefully the last one, we're close...

The Shop

OR Racer46
Fantasy
794th
7/24/2016 8:28pm
Since I am
Friends with the owners I may be a little biased. But I can tell you that they care very much about the facility . Now if they could figure out how to get the dirt from there personal privet track and bring it there the place would be epic
JW381
7/24/2016 9:37pm
I'm torn. On the one hand, I think it's good to have unique surfaces. On the other hand, Washougal produces some of the more boring races year in and year out. I will say that I think all PNW tracks have a pretty hard base. Every track I ride has deceptive dirt that is kinda slick.
Moto810
7/24/2016 9:39pm
FastEddy wrote:
It's a hundred times better these days then it used to be back in the 80's & 90's. It used to be slick clay with lots...
It's a hundred times better these days then it used to be back in the 80's & 90's.
It used to be slick clay with lots of rocks.I always thought it made it unique.
When it got wet,it was like ice though - no traction especially on the uphill.
Had some pretty miserable mud race days back in the 80's & 90's up there. Smile
Yeah the clay is crazy slick!

The rains here in the winter wash away most of the dirt I am sure. Recently some guy gave Mountain View a bunch of free dirt and even delivered it to them! Washougal should be able to get something somewhere but not sure. Maybe lots of sand and mulch would help? Most all tracks have to bring in dirt sooner or later.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2247th
7/24/2016 9:42pm
I love when the NW dirt gets just perfect, right about mid day it's wet but sticky, dry enough but not dusty. Hero dirt, nothing better!

Post a reply to: Washougal Dirt

The Latest