Washougal Advice

Swools
Alright folks, So a couple of buds and I are making the trek to Washougal this year and I'm hoping to get a little help/advice from the vital community.

1. We are looking to camp at the track as traffic sucks (plus camping means more wobblies can be drank). If we show up Friday to camp do we need to buy the early entry/overnight camping pass or can we get in with just the regular overnight camping pass? follow up question: how deep into the boons are we going to be camping if we show up Friday?

2. Is the pit pass worth the extra $10? I know it's only good until noon.

3. We're leaving a week before and bringing our bikes. We are looking for any advice or recommendations on places to ride in Washington state (or even BC) that would be open the week before the race. We are mostly track rats but dig a good trail rip too.

Thanks in advance.
|
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
7/6/2016 9:34am
First, if you show up on Friday, you will be parking DEEP in the field. Honestly, if you don't show up Wednesday, you be parking pretty far out in the field.
The pit pass, that depends on if you have spent a lot time in the pits already. It's nothing special over there for washougal.
Tracks, you absolutely MUST ride at mtn view, Albany may be running. Riverdale may be open when you are up there. Don't forget about the Thursday night race at Portland, big pro purse lots of super fast guys and a good time.
TJ 755
7/6/2016 9:54am
Amatuer days usually starts on Wed. so you could set up base camp then and hit other local tracks .
Mt view is nearby and outstanding

https://vimeo.com/170264468
bsharkey
7/6/2016 10:55am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2016 11:26am
ive been going since 1983 to this event. camping costs the same whether your there 1 day or 5 bit you will be deep out in the field(only a 5 min walk max though). the pit pass depends on how bad you want to see the bikes or certain rider but things run smoothly so you probably miss one of the practices to see whoever you want to go see. the PIR race Thursday night is a must see. good talent tons of vendors and good food, cant go wrong and about 30 minute drive from the track to get there. the last few years I haven't been checked for alcohol but ive been only going on event day. this could be a issue for you, don't be surprised if the blue shirt idiots take your booze. portland has a ton of cool stuff to do but id ask the guys who live down here. fun town for sure. another thing the local Washougal store down the hill from the track has a lot of good stuff in case you forget things but not sure how they hold up on that weekend when there that many people
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
7/6/2016 11:00am
Hide your booze good! They used to be nazis. Not sure how bad it is anymore but We were told to get out of the car, they walked around with mirrors checking under the car and all inside. Get creative.

The Shop

potatoflake
7/6/2016 11:21am
1 if you show up any later than Thursday at afternoon you probably won't get that great a spot but any camping spot there is pretty good really the field takes a good walk but I always like it out there near the pro pits

2 I would pay the extra ten it's your first shougal national and you're gonna want to see some sweet bikes

3 Thursday night mx in Portland at PIR 10,000 pro payout it's a pretty big race thy do every year

4 for the booze either get a huge ice my cooler and wish for the best or stick a bottle in the middle of a duffel bag there's even the option to go moonshiner style and back pack it in but we won't go into that here

Have fun me and my buds go every year it's a blast and so beautiful
Hammer 663s
7/6/2016 12:24pm
Booze tip - been doing this for years at Hangtown. Spike 10-12 bottles of G2 with Vodka, even better if you leave them in the package. No one can tell unless they taste test them. Hell, I use this at piano recitals, weddings, funerals, golf events, parent teacher conferences, doctor visits, etc. Works great.
JW381
7/6/2016 12:34pm
Ride Albany on Wednesday then race/watch PIR on Thursday.
MXR
7/6/2016 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2016 3:02pm
I put my Vodka in 7 up bottles and glue the seal back on . I just rode at Riverdale MX on the 4th . They have three tracks , all of them are tame , but fun .
motosmith
7/6/2016 3:09pm
Booze tip - been doing this for years at Hangtown. Spike 10-12 bottles of G2 with Vodka, even better if you leave them in the package...
Booze tip - been doing this for years at Hangtown. Spike 10-12 bottles of G2 with Vodka, even better if you leave them in the package. No one can tell unless they taste test them. Hell, I use this at piano recitals, weddings, funerals, golf events, parent teacher conferences, doctor visits, etc. Works great.
"parent teacher conferences, doctor visits"

ROFL.
Hammer 663s
7/6/2016 3:44pm
MXR wrote:
I put my Vodka in 7 up bottles and glue the seal back on . I just rode at Riverdale MX on the 4th . They...
I put my Vodka in 7 up bottles and glue the seal back on . I just rode at Riverdale MX on the 4th . They have three tracks , all of them are tame , but fun .
We rode Riverdale on Sunday 3rd. Place sure does shred tires. My boy had fun on his 65 but I agree - even for an old slow guy like me it wasn't very challenging. I'd try Mountainview first.

Hammer 663s
Josh422
7/6/2016 5:46pm
We rode Riverdale on Sunday 3rd. Place sure does shred tires. My boy had fun on his 65 but I agree - even for an old...
We rode Riverdale on Sunday 3rd. Place sure does shred tires. My boy had fun on his 65 but I agree - even for an old slow guy like me it wasn't very challenging. I'd try Mountainview first.

Hammer 663s
Challenge yourself and you'll never get bored on a track... tame or not!
steve_97060
7/6/2016 6:42pm
keep in mind Mt View practice is on Tuesday, or the weekends..
ob
7/6/2016 8:48pm
You better hide your booze good, very good. Definately ride Mtview on Tuesday, definately go to PIR on Thursday. If you get there late just cruise thru the camping areas you can always squeeze in somewhere near the track. Just don't camp near the employee camping unless you don't want to sleep. Lol
7/6/2016 9:41pm
Booze tip - been doing this for years at Hangtown. Spike 10-12 bottles of G2 with Vodka, even better if you leave them in the package...
Lol!!! I do the same,haha!!! My wife loves when I do this....
Swools
7/7/2016 8:29am
Thanks for the advice folks. Looks like it'll be MTN view Tuesday, Albany Wednesday & PIR Thursday. Didn't even think about the booze being a problem so thanks for the piano recital tips.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
7/7/2016 8:32am
Swools wrote:
Alright folks, So a couple of buds and I are making the trek to Washougal this year and I'm hoping to get a little help/advice from...
Alright folks, So a couple of buds and I are making the trek to Washougal this year and I'm hoping to get a little help/advice from the vital community.

1. We are looking to camp at the track as traffic sucks (plus camping means more wobblies can be drank). If we show up Friday to camp do we need to buy the early entry/overnight camping pass or can we get in with just the regular overnight camping pass? follow up question: how deep into the boons are we going to be camping if we show up Friday?

3. We're leaving a week before and bringing our bikes. We are looking for any advice or recommendations on places to ride in Washington state (or even BC) that would be open the week before the race. We are mostly track rats but dig a good trail rip too.

Thanks in advance.
If you go early it's mellow. If you go after 10ish, you will sit for a long time.
7/7/2016 2:04pm
Swools wrote:
Alright folks, So a couple of buds and I are making the trek to Washougal this year and I'm hoping to get a little help/advice from...

Thanks in advance.
If you go early it's mellow. If you go after 10ish, you will sit for a long time.
So if I aim to leave Portland at 7ish it shouldn't be too bad
7/7/2016 2:45pm
So if I aim to leave Portland at 7ish it shouldn't be too bad
It'll probably still be bad.

Go six or eight miles past Washougal on 14 and take a left on Salmon Falls Rd. Then go left on Canyon Creek Rd for two or three miles. Go left again on Washougal River Rd for about a half mile or so(turn to the track[Alder] will be on the right) and juke all those fools that'll be backed up all the way into town.

Even if it's not "bad", you'll lose zero time doing this.

You're welcome.
mark_swart
7/7/2016 2:56pm
OP -- I'd second trying to hit Riverdale on Sunday, it's on your way back up north pretty close to I5. I think that's actually a really fun track, sure there aren't any 150 foot triples, but I don't think most of us need that level of obstacle to have a good time!! I enjoy the flow of that track a lot. If your other stuff earlier in the week fell through you could potentially ride there on a weekday if you call ahead.

Motowest in Bremerton should also be open that Sunday and would be a little further north and on your way back.

Sounds like you have a pretty cool moto-cation coming up!!
Johnny Ringo
7/7/2016 3:55pm
Make sure you hit Sassy's in NE Portland. Great spot for dinner...and some food also...
7/8/2016 6:21am
It'll probably still be bad. Go six or eight miles past Washougal on 14 and take a left on Salmon Falls Rd. Then go left on...
It'll probably still be bad.

Go six or eight miles past Washougal on 14 and take a left on Salmon Falls Rd. Then go left on Canyon Creek Rd for two or three miles. Go left again on Washougal River Rd for about a half mile or so(turn to the track[Alder] will be on the right) and juke all those fools that'll be backed up all the way into town.

Even if it's not "bad", you'll lose zero time doing this.

You're welcome.
does it work the reverse direction after the race also? Cool
Rupert X
7/8/2016 7:18am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2016 7:19am
Swools wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Dude.
rongi#401
7/8/2016 9:55am
Swools wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Rupert X wrote:
Dude.
advice from a hero
EEE299
7/8/2016 10:02am
Swools wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Rupert X wrote:
Dude.
rongi#401 wrote:
advice from a hero
Helps cure the hangover too! Wink
7/11/2016 10:58am
Hey guys i have a few questions too !
I'm traveling and planning to go for my first national in Washougal. I've booked a place in Portland but as i normally won't have a car do you think i can easily thumb a ride to the track ? Where in the city would you do it ? Also is it usefull to buy ticket in advance on the net ?
Thanks
TJ 755
7/11/2016 2:23pm
Pierre 14 wrote:
Hey guys i have a few questions too ! I'm traveling and planning to go for my first national in Washougal. I've booked a place in...
Hey guys i have a few questions too !
I'm traveling and planning to go for my first national in Washougal. I've booked a place in Portland but as i normally won't have a car do you think i can easily thumb a ride to the track ? Where in the city would you do it ? Also is it usefull to buy ticket in advance on the net ?
Thanks
hitch hiking from Portland will not work well. Cab or Uber to downtown Shoug and then hitch. Just buy tix at gate.

Post a reply to: Washougal Advice

The Latest