Wardy about to get passed on the Wins list.

Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 2:15pm
Jeff Ward's and his 56 career wins are good enough for 7th all time on the AMA win list. Reed and Dungey are both sitting on 55 career wins. Daytona could see either one of these guys tie Wardy for 7th all time. RJ with 61 and Hannah 64 (70) with trans AMA series included are next up. The fact that Dungey has 55 wins is crazy to think about especially considering how many people on Vital always talk about all of his short comings and how he is a third place guy. Keep it up Ryan, by the end of the year he could very well be ahead of RJ as well.
|
3/2/2015 10:33am
What's amazing to me is how close together the top guys are in terms of wins, except for RC.
Especially when you are comparing different eras with a different number of races, different competitors, vastly different machinery and even different levels of medical science.
bd
3/2/2015 11:07am
I often have stated Dunge is RV's Wardy. Wardy's career speaks for itself.
bd
3/2/2015 11:11am
What's amazing to me is how close together the top guys are in terms of wins, except for RC. Especially when you are comparing different eras...
What's amazing to me is how close together the top guys are in terms of wins, except for RC.
Especially when you are comparing different eras with a different number of races, different competitors, vastly different machinery and even different levels of medical science.
Injuries killed Hannah and RJ's careers. I believe both Hannah (broken leg water skiing and 1983 injuries) and RJ (he was in his peak when broke his wrist) would have 40ish SX (RC, Reed. Bubba numbers)
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
3/2/2015 11:28am
What's amazing to me is how close together the top guys are in terms of wins, except for RC. Especially when you are comparing different eras...
bd wrote:
Injuries killed Hannah and RJ's careers. I believe both Hannah (broken leg water skiing and 1983 injuries) and RJ (he was in his peak when broke...
Injuries killed Hannah and RJ's careers. I believe both Hannah (broken leg water skiing and 1983 injuries) and RJ (he was in his peak when broke his wrist) would have 40ish SX (RC, Reed. Bubba numbers)
You could argue that if both Hannah and RJ did not have injuries in the prime of there careers they would have 100 wins or so and 4 or 5 titles more each. At there peaks they were way better than there competition indoors and out. The winning % Hannah had from 1976 thru 79 and RJ from 86 to 89 were as good as anyone's minus RC.

The Shop

Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
3/2/2015 11:29am
bd wrote:
I often have stated Dunge is RV's Wardy. Wardy's career speaks for itself.
Dungey is the Ward to RV's RJ. Always have thought that. One was more consistent the other faster and flashier.
bangmyhead
3/2/2015 10:54pm
Park Boys wrote:
Dungey is the Ward to RV's RJ. Always have thought that. One was more consistent the other faster and flashier.
totally random but eli tomac reminds me of jeff stanton hahaha

Crush
3/2/2015 10:58pm
What is the outdoor indoor split for Dungey?
Zracer
3/2/2015 11:08pm
bd wrote:
Injuries killed Hannah and RJ's careers. I believe both Hannah (broken leg water skiing and 1983 injuries) and RJ (he was in his peak when broke...
Park Boys wrote:
You could argue that if both Hannah and RJ did not have injuries in the prime of there careers they would have 100 wins or so...
You could argue that if both Hannah and RJ did not have injuries in the prime of there careers they would have 100 wins or so and 4 or 5 titles more each. At there peaks they were way better than there competition indoors and out. The winning % Hannah had from 1976 thru 79 and RJ from 86 to 89 were as good as anyone's minus RC.
I disagree about Hannah. He was an animal, but by 85 86 when the tracks started getting more radical with bigger jumps and do or die triples he really didnt have much for RJ, Bailey ,or Ward.
ando
3/2/2015 11:23pm
Crush wrote:
Not sure but I'd guess about 15-20 indoor, the rest outdoor.
fidiot
3/3/2015 4:27am
Dungey could easily get to 64 by the end of he 2015 seaon.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
3/3/2015 7:35am
Crush wrote:
17-450 SX
31-450 MX
7 - 250MX
motomike137
3/3/2015 7:36am
Zracer wrote:
I disagree about Hannah. He was an animal, but by 85 86 when the tracks started getting more radical with bigger jumps and do or die...
I disagree about Hannah. He was an animal, but by 85 86 when the tracks started getting more radical with bigger jumps and do or die triples he really didnt have much for RJ, Bailey ,or Ward.
True that the Hurricane was losing his nerve for the bigger and bigger indoor leaps by then but give him back his year missed from the broken leg and take away those aforementioned injuries and he would have racked up maybe 25% more wins and championships. RJ probably the same. As for the DIESEL he looks like he has climbed another notch in performance and by the time the other guys get consistent (assuming they ever do) he is going to rack up quite a few more wins and at least a couple more titles imho.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
3/3/2015 7:41am
bd wrote:
Park Boys wrote:
You could argue that if both Hannah and RJ did not have injuries in the prime of there careers they would have 100 wins or so...
Zracer wrote:
I disagree about Hannah. He was an animal, but by 85 86 when the tracks started getting more radical with bigger jumps and do or die...
If Hannah would not have gotten hurt I easily see him winning every 250 title till 1982. The only reason I say 82 is Yamaha's started to suck. 1980 also had a ton of SX races compared to 77-79 and with Hannah's winning percentage he could have easily had another 10 in that SX season alone. Agreed with 1985-86 being passed his prime but that is 6-7 years after his accident. Its all ifs and buts but I still stand by my assessment of getting close to 100 wins and 10 or more titles.
ridge
3/3/2015 8:45am
Something else to think about...if RJ and Bailey didn't get hurt, who would have been affected most on the all time wins list?
3/3/2015 8:55am
Park Boys wrote:
Zracer wrote:
Park Boys wrote:
If Hannah would not have gotten hurt I easily see him winning every 250 title till 1982. The only reason I say 82 is Yamaha's started...
If Hannah would not have gotten hurt I easily see him winning every 250 title till 1982. The only reason I say 82 is Yamaha's started to suck. 1980 also had a ton of SX races compared to 77-79 and with Hannah's winning percentage he could have easily had another 10 in that SX season alone. Agreed with 1985-86 being passed his prime but that is 6-7 years after his accident. Its all ifs and buts but I still stand by my assessment of getting close to 100 wins and 10 or more titles.
I guess the lesson learned is- "never waterski from a boat driven by the competition."
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
3/3/2015 9:16am
ridge wrote:
Something else to think about...if RJ and Bailey didn't get hurt, who would have been affected most on the all time wins list?
Easily Jeff Stanton, his career was helped the most by RJ's injury, No way does Stanton beat RJ for sometime without his wrist injury. RJ's 500 numbers and 250SX were probably helped a lil when Bailey went out as well. That being said by the time of Baileys unfortunate injury RJ was the man.
3/3/2015 9:49am
ridge wrote:
Park Boys wrote:
Easily Jeff Stanton, his career was helped the most by RJ's injury, No way does Stanton beat RJ for sometime without his wrist injury. RJ's 500...
Easily Jeff Stanton, his career was helped the most by RJ's injury, No way does Stanton beat RJ for sometime without his wrist injury. RJ's 500 numbers and 250SX were probably helped a lil when Bailey went out as well. That being said by the time of Baileys unfortunate injury RJ was the man.
I'd agree. RJ beat Stanton in his last professional outdoor race at Unadilla, after his injury (RJ won his last outoor national). That was after a big crash at Budds the week before on the CR500

http://vault.racerxonline.com/1990-10-14/500mx/unadilla

ridge
3/3/2015 9:57am
I was thinking, a healthy Bailey and RJ would have taken some wins, and maybe a title or two from MC.

If they were still on their game, MC might not have gotten the jump start he did in the 250 class, which led to an enormous amount of confidence the following season. Then he steamrolled everybody!
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
3/3/2015 11:26am
ridge wrote:
I was thinking, a healthy Bailey and RJ would have taken some wins, and maybe a title or two from MC. If they were still on...
I was thinking, a healthy Bailey and RJ would have taken some wins, and maybe a title or two from MC.

If they were still on their game, MC might not have gotten the jump start he did in the 250 class, which led to an enormous amount of confidence the following season. Then he steamrolled everybody!
That's a tough one but I think both of those guys would have been on there way out by 1993. MC came into a weird situation, Bradshaw was never the same after 92, JMB left and had no motivation after 1991 even the 92 version of him was not nearly as good as the 91 and Stanton's over training and schedule had taken a lot out of him by then. With RJ there though maybe JMB would have still needed those titles and maybe Bradshaw wouldn't have been mentally destroyed by then. Who knows but all those guys listed above were superior MX riders at the time vs MC. If RJ would have not gotten hurt basically every variable would have been different.
ridge
3/3/2015 12:07pm
Park Boys wrote:
That's a tough one but I think both of those guys would have been on there way out by 1993. MC came into a weird situation...
That's a tough one but I think both of those guys would have been on there way out by 1993. MC came into a weird situation, Bradshaw was never the same after 92, JMB left and had no motivation after 1991 even the 92 version of him was not nearly as good as the 91 and Stanton's over training and schedule had taken a lot out of him by then. With RJ there though maybe JMB would have still needed those titles and maybe Bradshaw wouldn't have been mentally destroyed by then. Who knows but all those guys listed above were superior MX riders at the time vs MC. If RJ would have not gotten hurt basically every variable would have been different.
Yep, I think we're on the same page.

I still think RJ and Bailey would've given Bayle, Stanton, and MC (in '93 and '94) a run for their money. Those two would've been around 30-32 years old when MC moved up...still some winning left in them.

Niether one of them would've given up easily, in terms of pushing themselves to the next level.
Zracer
3/3/2015 12:51pm
Park Boys wrote:
Zracer wrote:
Park Boys wrote:
If Hannah would not have gotten hurt I easily see him winning every 250 title till 1982. The only reason I say 82 is Yamaha's started...
Have to agree that Hurricanes rides werent doing him any favors in the early eighties.
7warpig7
3/3/2015 2:53pm
Congrats to Dungey, he's a great rider. Regardless of the wins total though he's not as great as Ward. Dungey has ridden against some good competition but the guys Ward had to beat reads like the who's who of motocross legends.

Bottom line is that I'll take Ward in a head to head vs. Dungey on equal bikes, any track SX or MX.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
3/3/2015 6:40pm
7warpig7 wrote:
Congrats to Dungey, he's a great rider. Regardless of the wins total though he's not as great as Ward. Dungey has ridden against some good competition...
Congrats to Dungey, he's a great rider. Regardless of the wins total though he's not as great as Ward. Dungey has ridden against some good competition but the guys Ward had to beat reads like the who's who of motocross legends.

Bottom line is that I'll take Ward in a head to head vs. Dungey on equal bikes, any track SX or MX.
RV,Stewart and Reed ain't to shabby and if not for bike malfunctions the guy would have 1 more win and two more titles. I think Dungey is every bit the equal to Ward. RJ no Ward yes.
Tradmark
3/4/2015 10:58am
Where dungey would be without villopoto is insane.
Titan1
3/4/2015 11:12am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 11:12am
Tradmark wrote:
Think about where Windham (and Reed for that matter) would be without Carmichael???

Or Emig without McGrath?

There are a ton of guys who finished 2nd A LOT because of a very dominate rider....
Tradmark
3/4/2015 11:40am
Yup. And villopto was as dominant as any and dungey also got to contend w stewie and reed. Now he gets roczen and tomac and a rejuvenated canard.
3/4/2015 1:41pm
Tradmark wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
Think about where Windham (and Reed for that matter) would be without Carmichael??? Or Emig without McGrath? There are a ton of guys who finished 2nd...
Think about where Windham (and Reed for that matter) would be without Carmichael???

Or Emig without McGrath?

There are a ton of guys who finished 2nd A LOT because of a very dominate rider....
It is insane where Carmichael would be without Reed!
Zracer
3/4/2015 1:52pm
Its insane where RC was with Reed.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
3/4/2015 2:15pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 2:16pm
There are more races to win in a year in the current era as well. It'd be interesting if they ran win-to-start percentages along side total wins.

Post a reply to: Wardy about to get passed on the Wins list.

The Latest