WTF is up w/Dungey's KTM quitting 3-4 times in one moto?!!!

IWreckALot
5/26/2015 12:13pm
imoto34 wrote:
Maybe he was nervous and caused it to stall. Was a rough track and Eli was pushing himhard. I know that most all riders stall there...
Maybe he was nervous and caused it to stall. Was a rough track and Eli was pushing himhard. I know that most all riders stall there bike from time to time
joeellis wrote:
I kinda felt that he stalled himself too. Would like to hear what Dungey has to say about it. Too bad at any rate. He would...
I kinda felt that he stalled himself too. Would like to hear what Dungey has to say about it. Too bad at any rate. He would have probably finished 1st or 2nd in that moto.
Maybe once in a moto on accident. But stalling 3 or 4 times, that's bike malfunction all the way. Elite guys don't stall the bike hardly ever, and never more than once in a race if they do.
Premixed112
5/26/2015 12:50pm
71Fish wrote:
Anything with tits or wheels will give you a headache.
Truest post on this forum....
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
5/26/2015 12:52pm
Dontcha think the fact they changed the engine and electronics between motos lends itself to the idea that it was an equipment malfunction?

I do.

And we will likely never hear the real story.
joeellis
5/26/2015 12:53pm
imoto34 wrote:
Maybe he was nervous and caused it to stall. Was a rough track and Eli was pushing himhard. I know that most all riders stall there...
Maybe he was nervous and caused it to stall. Was a rough track and Eli was pushing himhard. I know that most all riders stall there bike from time to time
joeellis wrote:
I kinda felt that he stalled himself too. Would like to hear what Dungey has to say about it. Too bad at any rate. He would...
I kinda felt that he stalled himself too. Would like to hear what Dungey has to say about it. Too bad at any rate. He would have probably finished 1st or 2nd in that moto.
IWreckALot wrote:
Maybe once in a moto on accident. But stalling 3 or 4 times, that's bike malfunction all the way. Elite guys don't stall the bike hardly...
Maybe once in a moto on accident. But stalling 3 or 4 times, that's bike malfunction all the way. Elite guys don't stall the bike hardly ever, and never more than once in a race if they do.
That is true. Just odd that it seemed to fire back up so quickly.

The Shop

JW381
5/26/2015 12:58pm
71Fish wrote:
Anything with tits or wheels will give you a headache.
Truest post on this forum....
Combining these two is proven to be detrimental to one's overall health and well-being. Doesn't stop us tho. Like beer and Taco Bell.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
5/26/2015 1:20pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Maybe once in a moto on accident. But stalling 3 or 4 times, that's bike malfunction all the way. Elite guys don't stall the bike hardly...
How many times did it actually happen?
5/26/2015 1:33pm
joeellis wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
joeellis wrote:
Not really, in 2014 SX it happened to both Wilson and Cianciarulo and their bikes fired back up. They didn't stall either, Wilson was leading a race and it lost power before a jump and Cianciarulo lost power in a straightaway leading a heat race.
phantom 662
5/26/2015 1:42pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2015 1:46pm
I don't believe RD stalled that KTM on his own even once last Saturday. I believe what Dungey said on the podium and in other interviews. Tomac's account seems to jive with Ryan's statements. Yeah, Tomac has definitely been on it with 4 stellar moto's and he's killing it so far. As for RD, we'll see what happens. Ryan's no quiter. He fully understands this sport and has proven himself to be pretty damn professional. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the engine stalls.
Ps. Darn it! Another edit.
theToothPerry
5/26/2015 1:47pm
GET system. GPS mapping is a fickle bitch. Seems kinda odd it died 3 times in the same corner huh....
5/26/2015 1:54pm
Forgot about a couple of those, can't forget about at southwick 11'? When his bike was brought to the gate after everyone had already taken off.
Haha huge brainfart when I posted that. I just remembered it when I came back to this thread!
phantom 662
5/26/2015 2:00pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2015 2:01pm
Hman144 wrote:
Dontcha think the fact they changed the engine and electronics between motos lends itself to the idea that it was an equipment malfunction? I do. And...
Dontcha think the fact they changed the engine and electronics between motos lends itself to the idea that it was an equipment malfunction?

I do.

And we will likely never hear the real story.
I read your question and I think you might be on to something here. Yep. The motor and electronics swap out is a dead giveaway. Wink
IWreckALot
5/26/2015 2:05pm
IWreckALot wrote:
imoto34 wrote:
How many times did it actually happen?
Sounds like we can confirm at least 3 times.
5/26/2015 2:11pm
Not a matter of IF a motorcycle will malfunction. It's a matter of when.

Mechanical objects break everyday. Electrical problems arise everyday. You can have the best mechanic in the world put together a motor that's going to blow up in 15 minutes.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
5/26/2015 2:28pm
GET system. GPS mapping is a fickle bitch. Seems kinda odd it died 3 times in the same corner huh....
They aren't running GPS engine mapping... They run GET's Data Acquisition systems but not their ECU.
struth
5/26/2015 3:04pm
joeellis wrote:
It didn't fire up quickly the last time,4 guys past him.....
Outsider
5/26/2015 3:10pm
Dungey's patience bored the bike so badly it fell asleep 3 times in a moto...
kiwifan
5/26/2015 3:42pm
newmann wrote:
I'd rather push a KTM than ride a Honda???:laugh: You crack jokes about the KTM dying multiple times yet refuse to compliment the fact that it...
I'd rather push a KTM than ride a Honda???Laughing

You crack jokes about the KTM dying multiple times yet refuse to compliment the fact that it restarted every time. The previous Big 4 bikes usually fail to restart after suffering a mechanical don't they?Wink
Seems to me Honda is more reliable than KTM at this point in the championship race...no manufacturer is going to restart if an engine fails....clearly the KTM's engine did not fail....it was obviously an electrical problem of some sort, so lets not confuse the facts to make one brand seem more reliable than others :-)
ab5772
5/26/2015 4:28pm
Outsider wrote:
Dungey's patience bored the bike so badly it fell asleep 3 times in a moto...
Yep. I'm sure it's pretty boring leading a moto!
Old-Man
5/26/2015 4:46pm
I hope they figured out the issue and have no more issues with anything
Hope Tomac doesn't have any bike problems....that way there is no more excuses as to why so in so lost or won...Whistling

Tomac's year thats all, hard to grasp for some around here. should be happy that it isn't a one man walk away like the SX season was.
Old-Man
5/26/2015 4:51pm
newmann wrote:
I'd rather push a KTM than ride a Honda???:laugh: You crack jokes about the KTM dying multiple times yet refuse to compliment the fact that it...

You crack jokes about the KTM dying multiple times yet refuse to compliment the fact that it restarted every time. The previous Big 4 bikes usually fail to restart after suffering a mechanical don't they?Wink
kiwifan wrote:
Seems to me Honda is more reliable than KTM at this point in the championship race...no manufacturer is going to restart if an engine fails....clearly the...
Seems to me Honda is more reliable than KTM at this point in the championship race...no manufacturer is going to restart if an engine fails....clearly the KTM's engine did not fail....it was obviously an electrical problem of some sort, so lets not confuse the facts to make one brand seem more reliable than others :-)
Correct! lets not forget JMarts Yamaha. maybe both bikes got a bit too much of the powerwash.

I'm a Tomac and Dungey fan but a KTM rider...Wink
Moto75
5/26/2015 6:00pm
If I were in Ryan's boots I'd be fricking livid with my mechanic/tech crew for the bike quitting 3 times in one moto! He was giving...
If I were in Ryan's boots I'd be fricking livid with my mechanic/tech crew for the bike quitting 3 times in one moto! He was giving Tomac all he could handle till his bike stopped runnin for the second time. On the podium Eli spoke about almost passing him the first time it quit then going by the second time. It then quit again dropping him from second to 6th for that moto. I know this is motocross and "shit happens" but without that mechanical you're talking a first or second overall....I was at GH and know that Tomac had a super-human day but Dungey was all over him till the bike quit on him. I have nothin' but respect for all the mechanics as my own wrench skills are average on a good day but if it were me in that spot I might be more than a lil' tempted to scuff up my boots on somebody's tool chest....
If you have even average wrench skills, you would know better than to place blame squarely on the mechanics / crew. Just as good a chance it was a faulty part over something done by a mechanic.
h&m_cycle
5/26/2015 6:19pm
yeah, it's a Big Johnson T-Shirt... It's true...

KTMShane699
5/26/2015 7:30pm
It had to've been a carb issue. But tomac is an animal.
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...but these bikes are fuel injected. You won't find a carb on them. They're also given regular maintenance and always run on race gas (high consistency/quality). The fuel filters on the KTM can clog, but that's usually something that won't allow the bike to start again and you can be certain that Factory KTM is on top of that part.

It seems more electrical in nature than fuel delivery.

Shane
Detroit Dick
5/26/2015 8:59pm
GuyB wrote:
And that's why Ryan gets paid the big bucks, and why you post here. Ryan's a professional.
Don't look now, but I think Guy B just labeled the illustrious regulars in this joint as broke and unprofessional. Not that I have a problem with that...
kiwifan
5/26/2015 9:09pm
newmann wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
Seems to me Honda is more reliable than KTM at this point in the championship race...no manufacturer is going to restart if an engine fails....clearly the...
Old-Man wrote:
Correct! lets not forget JMarts Yamaha. maybe both bikes got a bit too much of the powerwash. I'm a Tomac and Dungey fan but a KTM...
Correct! lets not forget JMarts Yamaha. maybe both bikes got a bit too much of the powerwash.

I'm a Tomac and Dungey fan but a KTM rider...Wink
well I was referring to the 450 class only.....thing is though if it was water in the electrics then a) i dont think bump starting would help the yammy although with bump starting there is more voltage, so maybe ....and b) you would of thought the water would of dried up by the time the KTM started having issues

anyway, everything is only speculation as we are unlikely to be ever told the reasons why
Outsider
5/26/2015 9:09pm
GuyB wrote:
And that's why Ryan gets paid the big bucks, and why you post here. Ryan's a professional.
Don't look now, but I think Guy B just labeled the illustrious regulars in this joint as broke and unprofessional. Not that I have a problem...
Don't look now, but I think Guy B just labeled the illustrious regulars in this joint as broke and unprofessional. Not that I have a problem with that...
GuyB is great at what he does, and I envy his job, but most of us actually do pretty well in our careers. Don't think that's what he meant at all.
Jrewing
5/26/2015 9:21pm
GuyB wrote:
Hang on.. Where's that put you then?

Post a reply to: WTF is up w/Dungey's KTM quitting 3-4 times in one moto?!!!

The Latest