WP 4cs Re-valve / re-worked suspension services... What tuner to go to.

Highsider
8/24/2016 5:54am
Madmax31 wrote:
Just save your money and ride the damn bike.
For me spending $1000+ won't make me faster per lap!

Laughing
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
8/24/2016 6:29am
KVDT wrote:
Are the 4CS really that bad? 10 years ago I could win the C class and not get lapped in B. Now I'm 40 years old...
Are the 4CS really that bad? 10 years ago I could win the C class and not get lapped in B. Now I'm 40 years old and want to get another bike. I'm looking at the 2016 KTM 250F. Just how bad is the suspension? For heavens sake I made due 20+ years ago with stock RM125 and YZ125. Are they worse than the older sticks out there?
Madmax31 wrote:
I honestly think it's the placebo effect. Couple of guys say they are horrible, and then everyone thinks they have to buy after market forks, or...
I honestly think it's the placebo effect. Couple of guys say they are horrible, and then everyone thinks they have to buy after market forks, or spend a bunch of money re-valving. I have a 13 KTM 450, I'm 50, race vet B, run top 3 or better most of the time. I've been racing since the early 80's, and have owned a lot of bikes.

My bike is 3 years old, and haven't even changed the oil. I think they are good 85% of the time. The only time I even notice them not working good is on slap down high speed hits, and that's really not that bad. I only notice it on one track I ride, on 1 jump. Again it's not that bad, just initial harshness from slap down.

Am I the right weight to make them work right (200 lbs)? Did I get a one-off good setup from the factory...doubt it. Even my friend who absolutely hates KTM's thinks the forks are pretty good.

It's all personal preference, you might like how they feel because your used to riding forks with 3 year old fork oil.

My question is, have you ever riden Kit suspension that's set up for your weight and speed? This is where the comparison comes in that the 4cs need work.
Panic_Rev
8/24/2016 6:49am
KVDT wrote:
Are the 4CS really that bad? 10 years ago I could win the C class and not get lapped in B. Now I'm 40 years old...
Are the 4CS really that bad? 10 years ago I could win the C class and not get lapped in B. Now I'm 40 years old and want to get another bike. I'm looking at the 2016 KTM 250F. Just how bad is the suspension? For heavens sake I made due 20+ years ago with stock RM125 and YZ125. Are they worse than the older sticks out there?
Madmax31 wrote:
I honestly think it's the placebo effect. Couple of guys say they are horrible, and then everyone thinks they have to buy after market forks, or...
I honestly think it's the placebo effect. Couple of guys say they are horrible, and then everyone thinks they have to buy after market forks, or spend a bunch of money re-valving. I have a 13 KTM 450, I'm 50, race vet B, run top 3 or better most of the time. I've been racing since the early 80's, and have owned a lot of bikes.

My bike is 3 years old, and haven't even changed the oil. I think they are good 85% of the time. The only time I even notice them not working good is on slap down high speed hits, and that's really not that bad. I only notice it on one track I ride, on 1 jump. Again it's not that bad, just initial harshness from slap down.

Am I the right weight to make them work right (200 lbs)? Did I get a one-off good setup from the factory...doubt it. Even my friend who absolutely hates KTM's thinks the forks are pretty good.

Yes IMO they are that bad relative to what is out there. I'm coming off of SSS that was revalved by FC and these things feel like they are from the 90's.

I have also noticed the poor performance on high speed hits. The last thing I want at high speeds is no confidence in my forks. Both tracks I lost confidence in those areas so I didn't hit the jumps as fast, in turn making me slower. Would this change the outcome of a race? Probably not, but doesn't mean I don't want the suspension to work. The types of jumps I am talking about are very similar to the single high speed jump that is at Vegas.
8/24/2016 4:41pm
Racetech gold valves with the open chamber conversion . Makes the forks great. They work amazing. I racertainly the local a class and they perform to every need I have .

The Shop

i3oykin
8/24/2016 4:45pm
KVDT wrote:
Madmax31 wrote:

I thought the 13' KTM's had a different fork... Not the 4cs? Also I do not even want to know why you have not changed the oil in over 3 years, let alone how have you not blown a fork seal by now?!

It kind of seems like we are off topic. The thread was specifically created for well known/good testimonials on what tuners to do work on the 4cs fork.

Spoke with Sleeter yesterday while at Pala, he said he rode on the 4cs with valving changes and said it will get you by even at a Pro level, he shreds and is pro level so obviously it can be made to work....
i3oykin
8/24/2016 4:52pm
It's all personal preference, you might like how they feel because your used to riding forks with 3 year old fork oil. My question is, have...
It's all personal preference, you might like how they feel because your used to riding forks with 3 year old fork oil.

My question is, have you ever riden Kit suspension that's set up for your weight and speed? This is where the comparison comes in that the 4cs need work.
Hahahaha, right?! I cannot comprehend riding on 3 year old fork oil, even if he is faster than me, I cannot imagine the damage that oil, dirty oil is causing, let alone performance related.

Like stated, though. We only know as good as what we have ridden and experienced. Was my SSS stuff from Rg3 good, yes. Is it the best out there? Not even close. The SSS stuff IMO is the best stock off the shelf option. But I have ridden a bike with the TTX Ohlins stuff and it was far superior IMO, at the end of a moto when I am tired and am making a little more mistakes it was more forgiving and overall, just better for my riding. It is around $1500 just to convert my forks to the SSS stuff, to me, not worth it. I can either get the 4cs working close to the same as my Yamaha with the Rg3 re-valve for a little more cost than what I paid for that setup, around $450 plus shipping for the fork work. (Assuming the testimonials and my research is correct). If I am dropping $1500 on forks alone I would be buying some TTX cartridge inserts or Dal Saggo Carts....

Let me ride your Cone valve forks and Traxx shock and I am sure, if set up for my LACK of speed, ability and weight I am sure I also would think that is the best thing ever, do I need it? No. But is it nice to have in certain situations, absolutely yes.

To me, on a bike suspension is an absolute must before contemplating any other mods. I ride a 125 so obviously I am in it for fun, not going to be the fast guy out there and I am not looking for tons of power..
motobound
9/1/2016 1:54pm
Skidaddle wrote:
ESR as in Eddie Sanders?
What about MX-Tech and Stillwell or are they suited more to Enduro/GNCC type?
i3oykin wrote:
Mx-Tech is a complete conversion of the fork as is Kreft I believe. It is so hard to find reviews for Mx-Tech... Hence why I am...
Mx-Tech is a complete conversion of the fork as is Kreft I believe. It is so hard to find reviews for Mx-Tech... Hence why I am asking for testimonials. Most of the Husky guys are Enduro/off-road guys.
I would prefer to stay under $500.00 for the forks. Shock feels use able as is, once I get the forks sorted then I will have the shock done. I am really looking at FC and Zip Ty as they are closest to me, so if I had to have re valves done I would not have to ship. But I really am open to whomever as long as I can get what I want for outdoor moto.

I think ESR is Earl Shuler?
Hey guys, I had Jeremy at MX Tech do the forks and shock on my '14 250sx and its hands down the best suspension i've ridden. Super plush, doesn't bottom, tracks straight, and great customer service. Couldn't be happier. I set up to Diggers specs to the T, that combined with MX Tech this is the best bike i've owned.
i3oykin
9/21/2016 1:36am
Got about 5 hours on the forks since I got them back. I put 3 hours on them at LACR and Cahuilla. Both sand tracks also both tracks I never go to. They were good there. I underjmped a 4th gear double and landed in the right body position. Wasn't unbearable. Plush initially but not too plush. They didn't bottom at all. The finish line table at Cahuilla I underjmped and it handled it fine. Felt similar to the yamaha setup. Sag was off at lacr so I can't give them a fair review for that day.

Milestone (hard pack). About 2 hours on them there it seemed to handle the chop and braking bumps decent. None of the tracks ove ridden have gotten rough enough to give a full review. I also haven't really ridden this bike very aggressive yet. Overall I haven't bottomed out yet since the work was done (yay) whereas before id bottom easily. The mid stroke / hydro lock is still there. I noticed it when I overjumped a 4th gear table at milestone. Flat landed in the right body position but it still jarred my wrists a little. Didn't handle it as well as my Sss forks setup by rg3 for me (2 re valves before I felt satisfied) but it's rideable and i feel I will be able to push myself on this bike now. The deflection off of chop is a lot better I just need to find confidence in this bike lol.

I really need to play with sag, shock and forks settings a little more but I only have 8 hours on this bike so I'm still getting comfortable on it. I'll update more once I ride a rough track and get about 25-30 hours on them I will report back.

So far id say they went from a 4/10 to a 7.5/10 and my rg3 yamaha forks were a 8.5/10 after the second re valve and playing with settings for about 15 hours.

I think Corey at ProTune did a phenomenal job on a poorly engineered fork that lacks oil flow. I would recommend him not only for his work but for his customer service as well.

Will report back soon!
Highsider
9/21/2016 8:34am
How many $$ so far?

Thanks for the ride facts.
Potts
9/21/2016 1:07pm
i3oykin wrote:
Just got a 2015 Husky Tc 125. I only have a little over an hour on the bike. Set the sag to 100mm as suggested by...
Just got a 2015 Husky Tc 125. I only have a little over an hour on the bike. Set the sag to 100mm as suggested by the owners manual...

Front forks I played with throughout the day but could not get the feel I wanted. Initially they were very stiff, then they transitioned to a harsh mid-stroke which ended up blowing through and bottoming when over jumping... Felt like hydro lock or metal to metal. Kind of scary it hurt my wrists.

I came off a Yz125 with the SSS stuff I had RG3 do my valving, and it was perfect, for me.

I know the top guys doing the 4cs seem to be Kreft, Factory Connection, Stillwell and MX-tech. I also see that Zip Ty racing is doing some cool stuff with them

I like the idea of Zip Ty because he is within 1.5hrs of me.

Question being, who to go to. I ride only motocorss tracks. Cahuilla Creek, Pala, Milestone, Perris, 212 land etc. All the SoCal tracks. I see that Kreft seems to be the go-to for off road setups and cannot find any testimonials for moto only setups. I like my feel to be initially plush to soak up all the small stuff like braking bumps, then get progressively stiffer without bottoming. Never had that problem on my Yami. But I am told once these 4cs forks are setup correctly they are amazing.

Thanks in advance!
Since you are in So Cal it's an easy decision... Precision Concepts! Bob just had people from WP visit him to learn more about his magic with the 4CS forks.
i3oykin
9/21/2016 1:18pm
i3oykin wrote:
Just got a 2015 Husky Tc 125. I only have a little over an hour on the bike. Set the sag to 100mm as suggested by...
Just got a 2015 Husky Tc 125. I only have a little over an hour on the bike. Set the sag to 100mm as suggested by the owners manual...

Front forks I played with throughout the day but could not get the feel I wanted. Initially they were very stiff, then they transitioned to a harsh mid-stroke which ended up blowing through and bottoming when over jumping... Felt like hydro lock or metal to metal. Kind of scary it hurt my wrists.

I came off a Yz125 with the SSS stuff I had RG3 do my valving, and it was perfect, for me.

I know the top guys doing the 4cs seem to be Kreft, Factory Connection, Stillwell and MX-tech. I also see that Zip Ty racing is doing some cool stuff with them

Question being, who to go to. I ride only motocorss tracks. Cahuilla Creek, Pala, Milestone, Perris, 212 land etc. All the SoCal tracks. I see that Kreft seems to be the go-to for off road setups and cannot find any testimonials for moto only setups. I like my feel to be initially plush to soak up all the small stuff like braking bumps, then get progressively stiffer without bottoming. Never had that problem on my Yami. But I am told once these 4cs forks are setup correctly they are amazing.

Thanks in advance!
Potts wrote:
Since you are in So Cal it's an easy decision... Precision Concepts! Bob just had people from WP visit him to learn more about his magic...
Since you are in So Cal it's an easy decision... Precision Concepts! Bob just had people from WP visit him to learn more about his magic with the 4CS forks.
They do desert setups. I've never seen people riding moto setups. I've heard tood things. But I'm satisfied with what I got.
PTshox
9/21/2016 1:19pm

Do this... below. It will work.

Racetech gold valves with the open chamber conversion . Makes the forks great. They work amazing. I racertainly the local a class and they perform to every need I have .
i3oykin
9/21/2016 1:20pm
Highsider wrote:
How many $$ so far?

Thanks for the ride facts.
$450 for the fork setup. So a bit pricey. I paid $490 for a re valve from rg3 for my forks and shock....
i3oykin
9/21/2016 1:22pm
PTshox wrote:
Do this... below. It will work. Racetech gold valves with the open chamber conversion . Makes the forks great. They work amazing. I racertainly the local...

Do this... below. It will work.

They wanted 1500 bucks for everything. Lol. I could get some ohlins inserts for that price.

It's good enough so far for me. I'm not very good so I don't push the bike nearly as hard as an A rider such as yourself would.
TeamGreen
9/21/2016 1:36pm
Precision Concepts does more than just off-road/desert.

They're good at what they do.
Potts
9/21/2016 3:56pm
i3oykin wrote:

Thanks in advance!
Potts wrote:
Since you are in So Cal it's an easy decision... Precision Concepts! Bob just had people from WP visit him to learn more about his magic...
i3oykin wrote:
They do desert setups. I've never seen people riding moto setups. I've heard tood things. But I'm satisfied with what I got.
Yes Precision Concepts is famous for desert/off-road AND THEY DO MOTO!
JWACK
9/21/2016 7:03pm

I just picked these up. Pretty stoked on them. We shall see if they stack up to Showa kit suspension.
i3oykin
9/21/2016 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2016 7:10pm
JWACK wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/09/21/152858/s1200_image.jpg[/img] I just picked these up. Pretty stoked on them. We shall see if they stack up to Showa kit suspension.

I just picked these up. Pretty stoked on them. We shall see if they stack up to Showa kit suspension.
Those even just look amazing. I'm not sure that I'm sticking to ktm Husky yet so I can't justify that investment. If the bike isn't reliable and I can't get comfortable on it I'll be going back to yamaha.
Bennett59
9/21/2016 7:22pm
JWACK wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/09/21/152858/s1200_image.jpg[/img] I just picked these up. Pretty stoked on them. We shall see if they stack up to Showa kit suspension.

I got a set on my husky love them did you go with the new FLOW rear shock or ttx 48
JWACK
9/21/2016 7:24pm
JWACK wrote:

i3oykin wrote:
Those even just look amazing. I'm not sure that I'm sticking to ktm Husky yet so I can't justify that investment. If the bike isn't reliable...
Those even just look amazing. I'm not sure that I'm sticking to ktm Husky yet so I can't justify that investment. If the bike isn't reliable and I can't get comfortable on it I'll be going back to yamaha.
I understand that. This is my first ktm adventure. I'm a Honda dude.. This bike feels a lot like a 2007-09 crf 250. Ergos and all. They did a good job on that. But I put Honda bars on so that may have helped. The reason I pulled the trigger on the suspension was I got a killer deal at half the price of new with only a few rides on it. So like you I'm not sold on ktms yet but I am sold on good suspension. I don't care if it makes me faster. What I do care about is keeping it on two wheels and going to work on Monday. Good suspension makes riding much more enjoyable and a hell of a lot safer.
JWACK
9/21/2016 7:35pm
JWACK wrote:

Bennett59 wrote:
I got a set on my husky love them did you go with the new FLOW rear shock or ttx 48
Ttx. I got it used. I'm not liking the new flow shock having less adjustment. I really like to fine tune my low and high speed adjustments. I think the flow shock only has one compression adjustment. I could be all wrong but I think that's the deal.
Bennett59
9/21/2016 8:12pm
JWACK wrote:

Bennett59 wrote:
JWACK wrote:
Ttx. I got it used. I'm not liking the new flow shock having less adjustment. I really like to fine tune my low and high speed...
Ttx. I got it used. I'm not liking the new flow shock having less adjustment. I really like to fine tune my low and high speed adjustments. I think the flow shock only has one compression adjustment. I could be all wrong but I think that's the deal.
I got the original ttx as well found my setup used for a cheap deal also, believe your right less adjuments for the flow. Think best upgrade I did for my husky I broke the insides of my 4cs also
i3oykin
9/21/2016 8:16pm
JWACK wrote:
I understand that. This is my first ktm adventure. I'm a Honda dude.. This bike feels a lot like a 2007-09 crf 250. Ergos and all...
I understand that. This is my first ktm adventure. I'm a Honda dude.. This bike feels a lot like a 2007-09 crf 250. Ergos and all. They did a good job on that. But I put Honda bars on so that may have helped. The reason I pulled the trigger on the suspension was I got a killer deal at half the price of new with only a few rides on it. So like you I'm not sold on ktms yet but I am sold on good suspension. I don't care if it makes me faster. What I do care about is keeping it on two wheels and going to work on Monday. Good suspension makes riding much more enjoyable and a hell of a lot safer.
Hmm. Interesting. The stock bars are very similar in bend and length sweep etc to the yz pro taper bend. I feel comfortable ergonomically.
This bike isn't predictable like my yz. Whatever body position I was In in knew what the yz would do. Especially jumping this bike feels front end heavy or something. Especially scrubbing. Its just not as predictable. Granted I have 10 hours on the Husky and over 70 hours on the yami.

I hope I love this bike and it's reliable. It has a great powerband and is much easier to work on. Time shall tell!! That suspension sounds like the bees knees. A dude local was selling a traxx shock and cone valve forks I just couldn't afford it and cant justify that investment unless I stay on Husky ktm.
JWACK
9/21/2016 8:29pm
JWACK wrote:
I understand that. This is my first ktm adventure. I'm a Honda dude.. This bike feels a lot like a 2007-09 crf 250. Ergos and all...
i3oykin wrote:
Hmm. Interesting. The stock bars are very similar in bend and length sweep etc to the yz pro taper bend. I feel comfortable ergonomically. This bike...
Hmm. Interesting. The stock bars are very similar in bend and length sweep etc to the yz pro taper bend. I feel comfortable ergonomically.
This bike isn't predictable like my yz. Whatever body position I was In in knew what the yz would do. Especially jumping this bike feels front end heavy or something. Especially scrubbing. Its just not as predictable. Granted I have 10 hours on the Husky and over 70 hours on the yami.

I hope I love this bike and it's reliable. It has a great powerband and is much easier to work on. Time shall tell!! That suspension sounds like the bees knees. A dude local was selling a traxx shock and cone valve forks I just couldn't afford it and cant justify that investment unless I stay on Husky ktm.
If your front end feels heavy on jumps it's probably suspension set up. I'm super picky about how my bike sends off a jump. That heavy feeling can be tuned out. I always end up with forks stiffer than my shock and the rebound a bit slower in the rear so I don't get that feeling.
i3oykin
9/21/2016 8:47pm
JWACK wrote:
If your front end feels heavy on jumps it's probably suspension set up. I'm super picky about how my bike sends off a jump. That heavy...
If your front end feels heavy on jumps it's probably suspension set up. I'm super picky about how my bike sends off a jump. That heavy feeling can be tuned out. I always end up with forks stiffer than my shock and the rebound a bit slower in the rear so I don't get that feeling.
I was going to try to make the rebound a bit faster in the front and slow it down a tad in the rear. I really need someone who k does suspension and body position to watch what my bike is doing and make suggestions.

I am also very picky about what my bike does off of jumps. Jumps id hit on mh yamaha no problem I'm scared to think of doing on the Husky.

Sag is set to 100 right now. Stock shock settings. Going to try to slow the rebound a few clicks and see what it does.

Post a reply to: WP 4cs Re-valve / re-worked suspension services... What tuner to go to.

The Latest