WP 4CS fork fix....what was it?

jeffro503
1/31/2017 10:14am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2018 12:02pm
Wasn't there an insert or something along those lines? Not sure who made it. I know the AER 48 forks can be pretty dang awesome if set up right , but the 4CS seem to of been a problematic type fork. What were guys doing to these forks , besides swapping them out for the cone valve forks? Cone valve inserts maybe? I'm just brain storming here.
|
jbonemalone
1/31/2017 10:28am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2017 10:29am
Sal Dagio ray kit I believe
Not sure on the spelling
gsxr6
1/31/2017 10:29am
Dicks racing has a pretty good setup on those forks. Well thought out
HenryA
1/31/2017 10:44am

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
1/31/2017 11:49am
jeffro503 wrote:
Wasn't there an insert or something along those lines? Not sure who made it. I know the AER 48 forks can be pretty dang awesome if...
Wasn't there an insert or something along those lines? Not sure who made it. I know the AER 48 forks can be pretty dang awesome if set up right , but the 4CS seem to of been a problematic type fork. What were guys doing to these forks , besides swapping them out for the cone valve forks? Cone valve inserts maybe? I'm just brain storming here.
Yo Jeff, I has Factory Connection work on my 4CS and got them pretty good, but you will be in about $750(give or take). There's KYB and Showa conversions that are very good but run about $1,200. The problem with these options is that you pretty much lose your money when you sell the bike.

In my opinion, the best option is to keep an eye out for cone valves around $2,000 if you can afford it because you can get that money back any day of the week when you sell them. Someone was just selling CV forks on here for $1,800. Cant beat that.
mxer613
1/31/2017 12:22pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Wasn't there an insert or something along those lines? Not sure who made it. I know the AER 48 forks can be pretty dang awesome if...
I hated mine on my 2015 husky, I sent them to promotion suspension, $670.00 later, much better. Dave turned them from 4 chamber, back to conventional. Now, my new factory edition Ktm, the aer forks are like Cadillac's, and that was at woodland last Saturday.
Monk
1/31/2017 12:33pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Yo Jeff, I has Factory Connection work on my 4CS and got them pretty good, but you will be in about $750(give or take). There's KYB...
Yo Jeff, I has Factory Connection work on my 4CS and got them pretty good, but you will be in about $750(give or take). There's KYB and Showa conversions that are very good but run about $1,200. The problem with these options is that you pretty much lose your money when you sell the bike.

In my opinion, the best option is to keep an eye out for cone valves around $2,000 if you can afford it because you can get that money back any day of the week when you sell them. Someone was just selling CV forks on here for $1,800. Cant beat that.
Unfortunately you couldn't get inner/outer tubes (discontinued) for those forks hence the price... Also setup has to be considered too...
jeffro503
1/31/2017 1:11pm
Yeah crap! Lots of ideas here. My main thought ( like way in the future ) was maybe getting a left over 15 - 16'Husky 125. Maybe just wait longer and get a 17' model. Just planning something for the future here.
jeffro503
1/31/2017 1:15pm
Btw...thanks guys. Gave me some options to think about.
Bramlett321
1/31/2017 1:25pm
jeffro503 wrote:
mxer613 wrote:
I hated mine on my 2015 husky, I sent them to promotion suspension, $670.00 later, much better. Dave turned them from 4 chamber, back to conventional...
I hated mine on my 2015 husky, I sent them to promotion suspension, $670.00 later, much better. Dave turned them from 4 chamber, back to conventional. Now, my new factory edition Ktm, the aer forks are like Cadillac's, and that was at woodland last Saturday.
I hate mine, or should I say the more mine get broke in on my '16 300 I am beginning to hate them!! Do you guys know of anyone on the interweb that has a set of Ohlins or Cone Valve's that they are selling??
Monk
1/31/2017 1:34pm
One advantage to inserts, you can always sell them when you sell the bike.

I went with the Dal Saggio Sphere inserts. I haven't received mine but I was assured the Dal Saggio was a more affordable option over CV forks with valued performance. Little information known about the Dal Saggio but ever review has shown them to be better then the Ohlins inserts.

I have always believed the CV to be the best but unless you know specifics in bike setup, you 'could' be not get the full potential out of your CV forks/suspension. And new, $3500...

The problem with the 4cs is the 12mm dampening rod. Can you get them to work, yes, but any and all work can be costly, time consuming and the modifications stay with the bike and hold no value...How far down the rabbit hole are you willing to go? As an example, Kreft can do some amazing things but it's a $1300 bill.

The AER forks are equally a good option but you will still have to do some work if you want them to perform at their best. Personally I didnt want to risk a possible failure (but then I bought a KTM with no backup Kickstarter????).

The SSS swap is pretty standard but its a $1700 price tag from TBT. This does include 100% new internals and the revalve but that's personally a hard pill to swallow. The big benefit is the knowledge regarding SSS setup as they have been on the market longer then any other suspension. Information aplenty! You could go the less expensive path with used parts but obviously make sure the parts are in good working order...worn out sliders, cracked pistons, bent shims etc etc can make for some frustrated tuning...

And of course, all the other affordable options form companies like MX-tech which could keep you under the $600 mark, but can it be what you're looking for, only you can judge?
Cadpro18
1/31/2017 2:44pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2017 8:48pm
Yo Jeff, I has Factory Connection work on my 4CS and got them pretty good, but you will be in about $750(give or take). There's KYB...

I had KYB cartridges in my previous KTM and I didn't lose money when I sold it. I kept the cartridges and put them in the new bike. I used AER lugs (about $250) and avoided the custom pieces required to fit the KYBs to the 4CS lugs. When I sell this bike I'll swap them out again.
berniepiet
2/2/2017 5:52pm
Cadpro18 wrote:
I had KYB cartridges in my previous KTM and I didn't lose money when I sold it. I kept the cartridges and put them in the...
I had KYB cartridges in my previous KTM and I didn't lose money when I sold it. I kept the cartridges and put them in the new bike. I used AER lugs (about $250) and avoided the custom pieces required to fit the KYBs to the 4CS lugs. When I sell this bike I'll swap them out again.
Interested in this conversion. Rode my "new" 16 4cs last Saturday and my wrist are still hurting today, Thursday. Theey are are that bad. Would like more information on this conversion. I am not far from you in Crystal Lake. Thanks.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
885th
2/2/2017 8:09pm
"Ready to Race"
Rocket88
2/2/2017 9:24pm
Too Tech

For performance & value Rick is hard to beat.
RCMXracing
2/3/2017 9:06am
IMHO at a minimum the tuner should be converting the 4cs with Base Compression Valves. Bottom becomes compression adjusters, top (both) are rebound. Obviously more to it, involves plugging holes etc. I had it done, big improvement. It shouldn't be expensive. Parts $300 or less.
coastie44
2/3/2017 9:29am
I am a happy customer with the TBT SSS conversion.

If I had to do it again I would do the same thing in a hot minute. The nice thing about this conversion is that anyone can valve re-valve and tune and get good results.
jeffro503
2/3/2017 9:40am
coastie44 wrote:
I am a happy customer with the TBT SSS conversion. If I had to do it again I would do the same thing in a hot...
I am a happy customer with the TBT SSS conversion.

If I had to do it again I would do the same thing in a hot minute. The nice thing about this conversion is that anyone can valve re-valve and tune and get good results.
Coastie......if you don't mind me asking , how much was the SSS conversion? Are they inserts , or dod you buy the a whole new set of forks? I use Factory Connection for all my suspension stuff now days. Their shop is only about 40 minutes from my house. If I went with an older Husky 125 , and bought a set of the the WP CV forks.....I'd be just as much into it as buying a new 17' 125. The Ohlins and a few other insert ideas have me thinking out some options.
coastie44
2/3/2017 10:01am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2017 11:12am
jeffro503 wrote:
Coastie......if you don't mind me asking , how much was the SSS conversion? Are they inserts , or dod you buy the a whole new set...
Coastie......if you don't mind me asking , how much was the SSS conversion? Are they inserts , or dod you buy the a whole new set of forks? I use Factory Connection for all my suspension stuff now days. Their shop is only about 40 minutes from my house. If I went with an older Husky 125 , and bought a set of the the WP CV forks.....I'd be just as much into it as buying a new 17' 125. The Ohlins and a few other insert ideas have me thinking out some options.
When TBT did it for me, it was $450 for the conversion. If I supplied the cartridges.

I bought forks off of eBay and sent him the whole mess. It was about $1200 including shipping and everything by the time it was done.

Just give Jonathan a call. I know that he now has access to new cartridges so you don't have to do the eBay route. But he has done a shit ton of them now and can give you some really good information. 602-617-1032

Edit: for reference, I ride mx only at vet int speed. I did the mx-tech sff conversion on my kxf ps1 air forks. That turned out great and I liked that setup, but these sss converted forks are even better. They are so "smooth!"
Bramlett321
2/3/2017 10:20am
Cadpro18 wrote:
I had KYB cartridges in my previous KTM and I didn't lose money when I sold it. I kept the cartridges and put them in the...
berniepiet wrote:
Interested in this conversion. Rode my "new" 16 4cs last Saturday and my wrist are still hurting today, Thursday. Theey are are that bad. Would like...
Interested in this conversion. Rode my "new" 16 4cs last Saturday and my wrist are still hurting today, Thursday. Theey are are that bad. Would like more information on this conversion. I am not far from you in Crystal Lake. Thanks.
^^^I totally agree...I was hoping mine would get better on my '16 the more I rode them but they honestly are starting to suck. If I could just find an acceptable clicker setting I'd try that. Very interested in the conversion as well.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1425th
2/3/2017 3:51pm
The SSS setup uses an ICS while the Dal Soggio uses a bladder for cartridge rod displacement. I think the bladder is a little more well suited for enduro type riding while the ICS tends to work better for motorcross. The Dal Soggio does have nice coatings on the cartridge to reduce stiction. Valving obviously plays a big role in how a fork feels but I believe both of these options are better than most out there.

I am using the Dal Soggio Sphere kit for enduro riding/racing with 10% on a vet MX track and it does great! Very happy but many people are happy with the SSS. I really think it depends on what you are using the bike for
jeffro503
2/3/2017 5:46pm
smv ryder wrote:
The SSS setup uses an ICS while the Dal Soggio uses a bladder for cartridge rod displacement. I think the bladder is a little more well...
The SSS setup uses an ICS while the Dal Soggio uses a bladder for cartridge rod displacement. I think the bladder is a little more well suited for enduro type riding while the ICS tends to work better for motorcross. The Dal Soggio does have nice coatings on the cartridge to reduce stiction. Valving obviously plays a big role in how a fork feels but I believe both of these options are better than most out there.

I am using the Dal Soggio Sphere kit for enduro riding/racing with 10% on a vet MX track and it does great! Very happy but many people are happy with the SSS. I really think it depends on what you are using the bike for
I'll be using it for moto only. It won't be until later summer before I can get the 125 ( If I get one ) and I guess I'll just have to weigh all my options when the time comes.The down payment on the 17' TC 250 has already been paid for , and really liked the idea of having a matching 125 to go along with it.
imoto31
2/3/2017 6:55pm

this ^^^^^
BobPA
2/3/2017 10:48pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Coastie......if you don't mind me asking , how much was the SSS conversion? Are they inserts , or dod you buy the a whole new set...
If you're spending the money on a Husky 125 do yourself a favor and buy a '16+ model. Buy the bike with the updated chassis, you'll thank me later. My 350 is the previous generation bike and the new one is that much better. 175+ hours on my bike, and I felt more comfortable in 3 laps on a '17 450sx than I ever have on my bike.
KTMP
3/25/2018 4:45am
gsxr6 wrote:
Dicks racing has a pretty good setup on those forks. Well thought out
Can anyone else back this up? Has anyone run his setup and been happy? I would really like to hear feedback from someone that is using his 4cs conversion, not the reviews on his services from MXA magazine...
Turbojez
3/25/2018 4:53am
HenryA wrote:
[IMG]https://www.propilotsuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Ohlins-ttx-CArtridge-Kits.jpg[/IMG]
X2 this might be the most cost effective option. And it works really well.
cody41
3/25/2018 6:21am
Throw them in the garbage.
Eddieg15
3/25/2018 7:27am
SPYGUY wrote:
"Ready to Race"
Too heavy Honda guy

Post a reply to: WP 4CS fork fix....what was it?

The Latest